Archive of old threads?

tokamak

Sorry if this has been covered/discussed elsewhere, but there's so damn much happening in so many different places that I can't keep up.

Do we know if the old site is going to stay up indefinitely? Or if not, is there a way to archive threads/entire forums? For instance, GM Steakhouse has always been a huge resource to me when planning trips, etc. Sucks if that all just disappears one day.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Sorry if this has been covered/discussed elsewhere, but there's so damn much happening in so many different places that I can't keep up.

Do we know if the old site is going to stay up indefinitely? Or if not, is there a way to archive threads/entire forums? For instance, GM Steakhouse has always been a huge resource to me when planning trips, etc. Sucks if that all just disappears one day.

This. I didn't write down too many of the recipes, just plopped my tablet on the countertop. At least I copied the Mexican cornbread and gumbo recipes. I'm hoping somebody saved the small town road trip eats map.

15 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This. I didn't write down too many of the recipes, just plopped my tablet on the countertop. At least I copied the Mexican cornbread and gumbo recipes. I'm hoping somebody saved the small town road trip eats map.

You still have time to go copy/paste the recipes. The site is supposed to go down shortly -- next day or so.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://archive.org/ has quite a bit of Shaggy up through late last fall. 

Thanks

Searching the web, looks like there are some workable solutions for scraping an entire vBulletin forum. I'm not sure that my employer would look too kindly on me saturating our data pipe today so that I can download several hundred gigabytes worth of recipes and travel tips from a random website. I may be able to play with it tonight a little bit (TWSS).

As I said in the OP, my primary target if I can get something working is GM Steakhouse. Big if. Next target would be CYHMWT, I think.

Edited by tokamak

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

Thanks

Searching the web, looks like there are some workable solutions for scraping an entire vBulletin forum. I'm not sure that my employer would look too kindly on me saturating our data pipe today so that I can download several hundred gigabytes worth of recipes and travel tips from a random website. I may be able to play with it tonight a little bit (TWSS).

As I said in the OP, my primary target if I can get something working is GM Steakhouse. Big if. Next target would be CYHMWT, I think.

I don't think you'll have time - I'm assuming SB will be down very quickly.

If you all go to https://web.archive.org it has much of Shaggy up through September/November of 2017, and if there are specific threads you want archived, paste them into the search field at https://web.archive.org and if it doesn't have them, it will say something about them being on the web and would you like to archive them.  If you select archive them, it will archive it in a few seconds, and it will be saved for years to come.

It is a manual way of doing it though, but if there are very specific threads you want, that's the quickest/easiest way to archive them without running scripts or anything.