Gumbo

1978horn

I make gumbo fairly often. I started doing the roux via Alton's oven method for a few years because it is so easy, but the last few times I've gone back to the stove top method.

The oven is just too slow. I can do it on the stove in about 30 - 40 minutes but the oven takes about two hours.

The oven method IS foolproof - as long as you keep your oven at 350', it won't burn. But if you keep an eye on it, the stovetop is much faster.

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

I make gumbo fairly often. I started doing the roux via Alton's oven method for a few years because it is so easy, but the last few times I've gone back to the stove top method.

The oven is just too slow. I can do it on the stove in about 30 - 40 minutes but the oven takes about two hours.

The oven method IS foolproof - as long as you keep your oven at 350', it won't burn. But if you keep an eye on it, the stovetop is much faster.

I mentioned this earlier I think, but next time I think a hybrid approach might be ideal.  Get it 90% of the way there, and they fine tune in on that perfect dark roux on the flame. 

13 hours ago, Caddox said:

I used the oven method for the roux and I can’t believe how well it worked. I got it so deep and dark, gumbo turned out great.

Word up.  Oven method is the truth, even if ERhine is an old fogey overly set in his ways. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Do people actually eat Spoonies? I haven't duck hunted in years but when I did and if you shot a Spoonie you were ridiculed mercilessly.

first, don’t shoot them.

but they’re perfectly fine so long as there’s good water in the marsh. and a good gumbo will cover any bad taste.

to wit...i’ll still gnosh the hell out of a pol d’eau gumbo with a few gizzards thrown in. C’est bon!
  • Like 2

Any good gumbo around Waco, Temple or Killeen? I tried going to that place in Boyd but they don’t open until 4P on the days I am by there.

i like making it too though, may have to this weekend.

Edited by RMac5

Any good gumbo around Waco, Temple or Killeen? I tried going to that place in Boyd but they don’t open until 4P on the days I am by there.
i like making it too though, may have to this weekend.

http:// https://yelp.to/qTKq/kUZqFdH0BR

Friday’s Seafood in Bellmead. legit...authentic legit...gumbo and other South Louisiana goodies. owners are from Lafayette and Ville Platte.

i’ve had better...mostly at home in my Mamere’s kitchen...but also had a whole shitload worse elsewhere.
  • Like 1

Went to Friday’s and it was damn good. I made up my own sampler plate. Had crayfish etouffe, a piece of fried catfish, fried boudin balls and a dozen fried oysters. Oysters came with red beans and rice and potato salad. All of it was outstanding.  The lady running the counter is the perfect face of the restaurant, she was all about service and hospitality.  Cannot wat to go back, this will not be good for my low carb diet.  Thanks Kyrie for the heads up.

• Like 1

Yeah I know, it was a critical error on my part and I knew it while I was still in there. When I walked in I was overwhelmed by the menu and got carried away with all the offerings, I will gumbo soon though.

I couldn’t remember if her name was Stacy or Stephanie but she was incredible.

Quick update, the gumbo at Goode Company Seafood is not ideal.  Roux about like peanut butter.  $15 a bowl.  Hard pass.

I did not order mind you, but someone else did.

I’m just going to assume you laughed at them while eating your double order of the campechana?

26 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Are we talking life-threatening allergies or just gastrointestinal distress?

'Cause you know? Some things are just worth powering thru.

This right here.  I'm allergic to all kinds of foods and things, but sometimes I eat them or do them anyway.