2 large onions, chopped
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
Creole seasoning 

green onions, for garnish

Method of Preparation:

Drain oysters through a fine mesh strainer, straining liquor into a stock pot; cover raw oysters and chill until needed. Place oyster liquor over medium heat; bring to a low boil and simmer until liquid has reduced by half, while skimming away all foam that gathers on the surface.

Add chicken broth, bring to a low boil, remove from heat, and keep warm until needed.

Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat; remove bacon and reserve. Measure ½ cup bacon grease in skillet, adding cooking oil if needed. Add onions to hot grease; sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with flour; stir well to break up any lumps. Reduce heat to medium and cook until dark brown, while stirring often to prevent burning, about 10 to 20 minutes.

Add celery, bell pepper, garlic, and reserved bacon; sauté 5 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup warm broth while stirring vigorously; repeat 3 times until roux has dissolved. Add remaining broth and stir until mixture is well blended. Bring to a low boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour, stirring often along bottom to prevent roux from settling. Skim away fat and foam that accumulate on the surface.

Taste gumbo; adjust flavor with Creole seasoning. Add reserved oysters; stir well. Return to a low boil for 2 minutes while stirring; remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Serve gumbo hot, with rice and French bread. Garnish with green onions.

coachkiss:

1. Have a shrimp boil and save the shells from the shrimp. Put them in the freezer in a sandwich bag (that will be enough for the stock you are going to make).
2. Fill a stockpot 2/3 full with water. Add:

Shrimp shells
Salt
Pepper
Bay leaves
That base of the celery that gets wasted every time and the ribs that are mostly leaves
Carrots
Head of garlic with the top cut off
2 onions cut in half
Thyme
Rosemary
1 tsp of cayenne
1 T of crushed red pepper

3. While you are doing that, cut up your trinity
4. Once everything is cut and your stock has been going for a while, brown your chicken IN A CAST IRON SKILLET. You can use breasts, thighs, quarters, drumsticks, wings...doesn't matter, except it has to have the skin on it. I actually use duck as my go-to. I like the extra fat it gives off in the skillet.
5. Once it is browned, drop it in the stockpot and cook it on medium for a while and then turn it down to simmer.
6. In the same skillet that you browned the poultry, put in equal WEIGHTS of flour and your fat. Me...I have found bacon grease to be the best when making my roux. Let the fat melt first and then whisk in your flour. 
7. Once your flower has been whisked in and is the color of Halle Berry, put the skillet in the oven at 350 degrees. Every 10 minutes, whisk your roux. Take out your roux once it is the color of an old penny. This should be about 45 minutes. If it gets to the color of that shit on Morgan Freeman's face...you have gone to far.
8. Put the skillet back on the stove on low heat and dump your trinity into the skillet. Quickly move it around with a wooden spoon. This will smell really bad and you will think that you screwed it up...you didn't. 
9. Set the skillet off to the side. Pull out your poultry and take the meat off the bones. Make sure skin is out of the pot. 
10. Put the trinity/roux mix into the pot and dump the poultry back in. It will look like little brown dots floating in a clear liquid. This will change. When it does and it looks more uniform, you are ready to drop in the sausage. You can use just about anything, but I like a pecan-smoked sausage from Brookshire's or an Andouille from Market Street. 
11. Let that go for about 30 minutes on low, and then drop in the shrimp. For a full stockpot, I will use about 1lb.

You have to remember the story of gumbo to make a good gumbo. These people wanted to have a community meal, so they went door to door getting stuff together for a community pot. If you try to shag this up and use fair-trade this and organic that, your gumbo will suck dick. Think poor for once in your life, Shag. Use full fat products. Use bacon grease from a neighbor if you have to or go buy lard from Fiesta. 

I make my rice with a couple of chicken bouillon cubes thrown in the water, and I spoon the bowl of gumbo and then add the rice.

Storm_The_Field's Courtboullon recipe:

Did my 2nd courtbouillon based on that recipe for Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family. There were a handful of doubters that wanted me to stick to gumbo but I insisted that if they didn't like it, I'd never make it again. Glad to say I'll be keeping this dish in my rotation. Just about everyone went back for 2nds and even 3rds, including a pair of the pickiest eaters I've ever encountered in my BIL's girlfriend and my wife's 14 year old cousin.

Unfortunately, the link to the recipe appears to be dead, but I'll re-post my version here if anyone wants to try:

Ingredients:

1.5 lb large head-on shrimp. (Peel, butterfly and devein, but save shells and heads for stock.)
4-6 shelled blue crabs.
2 filets of fresh fish, sliced into small chunks or strips. (I used catfish, but just about anything will do.)
4 cups of Trinity
2 cartons of low sodium chicken broth
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
Equal parts flour and oil for a roux
Cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere works for me.)
6 cloves of garlic

Seafood stock:

Pour chicken broth into a large pot over low medium heat. Add a couple onion chunks, a few celery stalks, the shrimp shells/heads and garlic cloves and let simmer for at least an hour or so before straining the liquid into a container.

Courtbouillon:

1. In a cast-iron pot or dutch oven, heat flour and oil until properly mixed and just beginning to take on a bit of color. Important, this shouldn't look like a dark brown or even medium gumbo roux.

2. Add trinity and stir until coated and beginning to soften. Then add tomatoes, liquid stock and a little bit of seasoning and stir everything together until well mixed. Put heat on low medium and cover to simmer.

3. Stir occasionally while simmering and check for taste and consistency. If too thin, add flour a spoonful at a time. If bland, slowly add seasoning until it tastes right. 

4. After about 30 minutes of simmering, add crabs and re-cover for 5-10 minutes. After that, turn off burner and add fish and shrimp. Will be ready to serve about 5-7 minutes later.

5. Ladle over bowls of cooked white rice.

Texaus posted Prudhomme quick roux:

I’m a gumbo novice. I think we can all agree Paul Prudhomme was a gumbo master. I made some gumbo for New Years and used Prudhomme recipe for seafood gumbo to the letter(almost). It was awesome. However, his recipe calls for heating the oil to smoking hot and then adding the flour. Roux is ready to add trinity after 5 minutes. This does not jibe with this thread. Explain please. Is he just that good? Btw, I was too chicken to try it, and took me about 30 minutes to get a dark enough color.

Correction:
Recipe says roux is ready in 2-4 minutes. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/m...32871f4805856d

Anastasis contribution:

I do oven roux because I am lazy as fuck.

He also provided a link:

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm getting a hankering now.  Maybe smoke a chicken on Saturday for gumbo on Sunday.

Do y'all have a go-to andouille you always use, or do you mix it up?  We've been using Best Stop for so long, I've almost forgotten what others are good.  We did pick up some from Butcher a couple years ago, and it was damn good, but at $9/lb, holy shit.  

I got a Firedisk and wanted to see how it would work to make gumbo so I could make it when camping or at the river and such.  It worked damn good for this sausage and chicken gumbo. I didn't get a pic of the 100% complete gumbo, but you get the idea..

Edited by Forty Acres
Well, shit. I can't post pics for some reason. Will figure out later

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Spill the details... not cold for much longer in KC. Need to make this ASAP!

Pretty easy...

Boil some chicken in chicken stock with your favorite cajun seasoning and when done shred and set aside.

I pan sear the andouille and set aside.  Not everyone pan sears it

Cut up the celery, bell pepper and onion set aside

Make the roux (1 1/4 cup of flour and 1 cup of oil is what I use).  Stir over medium low heat until it reaches a dark color ~45min

Add the trinity when roux is done and sweat them out ~5min

Add some of the chicken stock from step one to cool it down and stop the roux from cooking

Add the chicken and andouille as well as more stock

Throw in more of your favorite cajun seasoning and a few bay leaves and simmer

I usually let it simmer for at least an hour before serving, but the longer you can the better it will be.

I can't remember who said it on TOS(maybe Brisket?), but it went something like this

Step 1.  Make the roux

Step 2. Put whatever the fuck you want in it after that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What is the recipe for this version? It looks amazing 

Second from the top is mine from the old site.  Just make a roux in a cast iron skillet with equal parts (I like to measure by weight) of oil and flour--about 2/3 cup of each.  This one didn't get as dark as I usually make it.  When roux is at least the color of milk chocolate remove from heat and add 1.5 cups chopped onion, 1 cup chopped celery and 1 cup chopped green bell pepper and stir.  Add 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic.  Add the spices.  I added about a tablespoon of Emeril's basic spice, but you can make your own or get Paul Prudhomme's online.  Add an extra teaspoon of thyme and oregano and an extra 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper and stir to combine.  Heat shrimp stock that you made from the shells/heads to a full boil.  For 2/3 cups of flour and oil I use about 3 quarts of liquid, but add it in parts in case it takes less.  Spoon the roux/veggie mixture into the stock and wisk to dissolve each addition.  Reduce to a low boil and cook for 30 minutes.  Taste for salt and add if necessary.  Then add sliced sausage and cook for 10 minutes.  Add shrimp (say 1.5 lbs.) and turn off the heat and cover for 5-10 minutes until shrimp are fully cooked.  Serve over rice (not Uncle Ben's) and chopped green onions.  Add some Tabasco/Louisiana Chef sauce if desired.

edit:  oh, and add a bay leaf or two with the spices

Edited by HouTex