Gumbo

1978horn

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Question for the gumbo chefs:  How long do you let the trinity sauté in the roux before adding the stock? I’m around 5-7 minutes but wonder if I can let it cook a little longer.

Why would you want to go longer?  I’m always worried about scorching the roux at that stage.

Just now, LCHorn said:

Why would you want to go longer?  I’m always worried about scorching the roux at that stage.

I don’t know if folks prefer breaking down the onions, peppers and celery more, or it it makes a real difference.  I’m not worried about burning the roux because adding the veggies brings down the temperature, and I don’t think a few more minutes is enough to bring it back up to a point of scorching the roux. But maybe I’m flirting with disaster.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Question for the gumbo chefs:  How long do you let the trinity sauté in the roux before adding the stock? I’m around 5-7 minutes but wonder if I can let it cook a little longer.

You can cook it for much, much longer in my experience.

For Christmas, I'm cooking gumbo in my new and wondrous Instant Pot.    It brings flavors together in a way I haven't tasted since my mother's cooking in her pressure cooker.  Will post pictures.  Only worry is how fast the heat rises for saute.  And, of course, the inability to play with the temp.  What the heck.  I already cooked a rib roast last night.  Let the feasting begin!

On 12/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, Mac8111 said:

Wouldn’t you want some of the liquid to cook down, giving you a more concentration of flavors ?

If this is about Instant Pot gumbo:  YES!   Damn, I wish I had looked at that post before diving in. I chopped and chopped for one day; cooked it the next day.   Shoulda used less liquid than the recipe from Emeril suggested.  Came out a little bland and cajun hot at the same time. Stews, including gumbo, are so amenable to tweaking.  Day two, much better.  The other mistake was not knowing how to increase the saute temp.  I learned today to hit the saute button twice.  All in all, the gumbo-like-stew hit the spot for our first freezing weather of the year.   

Dude if you use jar roux just enjoy it quietly.

Maybe jar roux is like a fat chick or a moped?

I can’t figure out if the jarred roux offends me more or the stark contrast in that Mr. B’s recipe based gumbo and what the color should really look like. It’s a tough call.

Went to visit my nephew up in Seattle last month (he is currently one of the chef's working for the Seahawks. We were standing in line at the supermarket and he was telling a story about how one of his co-workers had made Gumbo and wanted him to try it (my nephew was born and raised in Baton Rouge). He took a bite and spit it out saying that's Not Gumbo! The chef replied "Is the kale throwing it off?" My nephew responded with "Kale does Not go in Gumbo". As he finishes this tale the check out clerk jumps into the conversation with "Kale can go in Gumbo; as a matter of fact all you are doing is emptying out your fridge. You just have to have a good tomato base to start." we stood there in amazed silence. As we walked away my nephew turned to me and said " I hope you appreciate the fact that I did not hit that S.O.B. for saying that!" I replied, you really need to make Gumbo and bring him a bowl so he will know how ignorant he really is.

1 hour ago, Txlc said:

Went to visit my nephew up in Seattle last month (he is currently one of the chef's working for the Seahawks. We were standing in line at the supermarket and he was telling a story about how one of his co-workers had made Gumbo and wanted him to try it (my nephew was born and raised in Baton Rouge). He took a bite and spit it out saying that's Not Gumbo! The chef replied "Is the kale throwing it off?" My nephew responded with "Kale does Not go in Gumbo". As he finishes this tale the check out clerk jumps into the conversation with "Kale can go in Gumbo; as a matter of fact all you are doing is emptying out your fridge. You just have to have a good tomato base to start." we stood there in amazed silence. As we walked away my nephew turned to me and said " I hope you appreciate the fact that I did not hit that S.O.B. for saying that!" I replied, you really need to make Gumbo and bring him a bowl so he will know how ignorant he really is.

I've made gumbo with brikset and greens that was awesome.  Not kale but collards.  Are collards ok by you?

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, huge said:

I've made gumbo with brikset and greens that was awesome.  Not kale but collards.  Are collards ok by you?

I believe that Talk About Good, which many consider the Bible of Cajun cooking, has a recipe for Green Gumbo that has collard or mustard greens.  I have the book, but not in front of me, and I recall making it several years ago.  It turned out pretty good, but I wasn't dying to make it again.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, huge said:

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I believe that Talk About Good, which many consider the Bible of Cajun cooking, has a recipe for Green Gumbo that has collard or mustard greens.  I have the book, but not in front of me, and I recall making it several years ago.  It turned out pretty good, but I wasn't dying to make it again.

If it doesn't have eggs, then it ain't breakfast gumbo.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

gumbo z'herbes

In other parts of the US gumbo basically means a thick soup. I pretty much never order it unless I’m in Texas or Louisiana and south of, or within sight of, I-10.
  • Like 1

Anybody in SE TX, the nonprofit on whose board I sit is having a gumbo fundraiser, a gallon plus all the fixings delivered next Thursday and Friday for $75. PM me for details. Its respectable good stuff, too.

Actually headed to the IBEW hall right now for a gumbo dinner benefitting local LEO organizations.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I plan on making gumbo with duck for Super Bowl Sunday, and using rendered duck fat for the roux.  I've always used canola oil for my roux.  Anything particularly different I should do when using the duck fat?

save some for popcorn.

• Like 1

We sold 150 gallons of chicken and sausage gumbo for a nonprofit fundraiser yesterday. That was a fun 3 days of prep and cooking. I should have taken photos, 30 x 5 gallon home depot paint buckets full as impressive, sitting in my buddy's walk in fridge.

Thanks to Doguet's for donating the roux and rice, and Zummo's for the sausage.

Thanks to Boss Burger in Nederland TX for the kitchen time/stoves.

This was my first year as a board member and I'll remember to take pics next year.

We sold 150 gallons of chicken and sausage gumbo for a nonprofit fundraiser yesterday. That was a fun 3 days of prep and cooking. I should have taken photos, 30 x 5 gallon home depot paint buckets full as impressive, sitting in my buddy's walk in fridge.

Thanks to Doguet's for donating the roux and rice, and Zummo's for the sausage.

Thanks to Boss Burger in Nederland TX for the kitchen time/stoves.

This was my first year as a board member and I'll remember to take pics next year.

How was the BPA Gumbo?
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...