Gumbo

1978horn

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I am curious on how much to stir. Constantly fast vs constantly slow vs just enough to not burn. I have a gas range and stirred at a very slow rate with a temp around 3.5 with 5 being what I usually cook at medium temp.

Looks great. But 1.5 hours seems awfully long to me for a roux. I cook mine at medium heat, but constantly watch it and don’t let it sit without stirring for more than 30-45 seconds. I can get a dark brown roux in about 30 minutes (or two beers).

And good job with the Worcestershire and soy sauce. As I’ve mentioned in this thread, I picked that up a long time ago from my Cajun friend and have never made a gumbo or fricassee without them since.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, South Austin said:

Looks great. But 1.5 hours seems awfully long to me for a roux. I cook mine at medium heat, but constantly watch it and don’t let it sit without stirring for more than 30-45 seconds. I can get a dark brown roux in about 30 minutes (or two beers).

And good job with the Worcestershire and soy sauce. As I’ve mentioned in this thread, I picked that up a long time ago from my Cajun friend and have never made a gumbo or fricassee without them since.

On a medium heat and pretty constant stirring, I'm getting the "dark chocolate" at about 1.5 hours.  The oven roux I did probably took 2.5 hours (stirring every 20 minutes).  But as I mentioned, that probably resulted in the best tasting gumbo I've made.  If I can repeat that, I may be done standing and stirring, which is a bit sad in a way.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:43 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I'm not sure if my fat to flour ratio was right. I poured out the bacon grease then added some canola oil to get 2/3 cup to 1 cup flour. Added about 2 tbsp of butter then slowly whisked in the flour.

Never reached a thick "dough-like" consistency......stirred for about an hour and 15 minutes. Decent color for the roux and finished product was very tasty.

I prefer a 1:2 oil to flour ratio and it’s not dough like, more like thick oatmeal in consistency.

• 3 months later...

Because I'm a moron and somehow posted this in the wrong gumbo thread last night and for posterity's sake:

Cross-posted from the shit I cooked lately thread (Easter edition).

I saw an Instagram video where someone did this and decided it could not possibly be anything but delicious.  Gumbo Pot Pie.  I made a stock on Monday.  Last night, I made the pie crust and did an oven roux ahead of time.  Then, while transferring the roux from the cast iron pan to a mason jar, I knocked over the jar and spilled roux all over the counter, which sucked for two reasons---I lost my roux and what an awful mess.

Got up this morning and started another oven roux (I'm convinced these have more positive contributions to the final product than the old stand-and-stir.  Did all my prep, and had the gumbo ready by 4 pm.  Ate some for dinner and put together the rice and gumbo mixture for the pie.  This is the biggest variable and I oped for more meat that liquid and tried to keep the rice in a good balance.  But it is more rice heavy than I'd have it in a bowl. 

Anyway, I'll post the final picture when it's reheated, sliced and served tomorrow.

[
4c871f8d7331a88131f6168ca18ac6a8.jpg7d677046a2f415bfc40f163cdd6e1fff.jpgc9e76f4791cb0cdca87d7c3625d04285.jpg1c053bbcf715787f4082ba0979cd5e43.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Because I'm a moron and somehow posted this in the wrong gumbo thread last night and for posterity's sake:

Cross-posted from the shit I cooked lately thread (Easter edition).

I saw an Instagram video where someone did this and decided it could not possibly be anything but delicious.  Gumbo Pot Pie.  I made a stock on Monday.  Last night, I made the pie crust and did an oven roux ahead of time.  Then, while transferring the roux from the cast iron pan to a mason jar, I knocked over the jar and spilled roux all over the counter, which sucked for two reasons---I lost my roux and what an awful mess.

Got up this morning and started another oven roux (I'm convinced these have more positive contributions to the final product than the old stand-and-stir.  Did all my prep, and had the gumbo ready by 4 pm.  Ate some for dinner and put together the rice and gumbo mixture for the pie.  This is the biggest variable and I oped for more meat that liquid and tried to keep the rice in a good balance.  But it is more rice heavy than I'd have it in a bowl. 

Anyway, I'll post the final picture when it's reheated, sliced and served tomorrow.

[
4c871f8d7331a88131f6168ca18ac6a8.jpg7d677046a2f415bfc40f163cdd6e1fff.jpgc9e76f4791cb0cdca87d7c3625d04285.jpg1c053bbcf715787f4082ba0979cd5e43.jpg

Saw that on IG, as well.  

You’re a great American.   

• Hook 'Em 1

So after a little reflection, here's my review.  It's delicious, and I'd make it again.  But gumbo the traditional way is better.  To get this to hold together, you have to add more rice than I prefer and reserve some of the liquid, which holds most of the flavor of gumbo.  When I do it again, I'll definitely take some of the reserved liquid and drizzle it over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1