Gumbo

1978horn

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any special tips on using leftover turkey and carcass to make a gumbo on Friday?  Should I save the drippings and incorporate them somehow?  It will have butter in it because I'm putting pads of butter under the turkey skin.

Cross posting Turkey thread:

Summary:

Use the carcass to make a stock and the left over dark meat.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any special tips on using leftover turkey and carcass to make a gumbo on Friday?  Should I save the drippings and incorporate them somehow?  It will have butter in it because I'm putting pads of butter under the turkey skin.

It's gumbo, you put what you want to eat in it. 

Use the carcass to make stock prior, though. Instant pot works great. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Probably good for saving time. But don’t you want a longer simmer — couple hours or so — to get better flavor for the stock?

Not really- that being said I do mine for about 2 hours, with a little vinegar, and the resulting stock has so much collagen it’s like jello. 

So long as you know it’s salted then go ahead and add salt to the stock. Otherwise, it’s like salted butter. If you aren’t careful you can over salt a dish. I think it’s easier to not salt my stock so I can more easily control the salt content of the final dish.

Just found a couple of picked over turkey leg quarters we froze after Easter.  Tossed them in the pot with 6 qts of water, onion, carrot, et al. and am giving some homemade stock a try for the dressing. If all goes well, tomorrow's carcass will be getting done for the gumbo.  Skimmed the top for a bit, and we're off to the races.

Edited by dcbc

damn that looks perfect. 

For chicken and sausage this was a very good batch.

I fried up the sausage in the Dutch oven and then made the roux in the residual drippings. I was worried about it burning as I made the roux on pretty night heat. In the end it all worked out swimmingly and I was able to get a dark roux in maybe 25 min. Usually takes me closer to 45.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

By the way, it looks fantastic. I would nail that gumbo.

Thanks, man. It’s my first offering on this thread after lurking for so long. Credit to my Cajun friend who passed along her method about 15 years ago, and to @Brisketexan who also emphasized several years ago the importance of homemade stock.

• Like 1

Fish sauce does too. 

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know some folks like to be all secretive and shit about their gumbo, but I’ll pass along a great tip from my Cajun friend in Breaux Bridge — a few dashes of Worcestershire and/or soy sauce go a long way to give it a nice way unami kick.

Fish sauce, too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...