Apple iPhone Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I updated all of my devices to the new iOS and damn there are so many bugs.  My iPad Pro keyboard keeps freezing and half the icons at the bottom of the screen won’t open the apps. Initially I thought it was just the pro but my phone and other IPad are doing exactly the same thing.  It’s inadvertent in that it works fine about half the time...  Is there a way to go back to the previous version until Apple gets their shit together?   

Ya, the bugs on the new iphone are driving me nuts. Mail loads oddly most times and while in Dallas for OU the phone just went black and I thought I was going to be without a phone for the weekend...which might not be bad...but I wanted pics of the game with family etc...luckily it popped back on after 30 minutes...this was a fully-charged phone.

Still a massive fan...but the kinks in their new devices are getting a bit more brutal.

15 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Ya, the bugs on the new iphone are driving me nuts. Mail loads oddly most times and while in Dallas for OU the phone just went black and I thought I was going to be without a phone for the weekend...which might not be bad...but I wanted pics of the game with family etc...luckily it popped back on after 30 minutes...this was a fully-charged phone.

Still a massive fan...but the kinks in their new devices are getting a bit more brutal.

Unfortunately, what you describe both with mail, and the random reboot, have nothing to do with the new phone, its the new software. iOS 13 is chock full of bugs.

18 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Unfortunately, what you describe both with mail, and the random reboot, have nothing to do with the new phone, its the new software. iOS 13 is chock full of bugs.

Ya, should have clarified...that’s what is usually is...as the same thing is happening on my iPad. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry if the answer is posted. Lately (lets say last few months) my phone is not automatically connecting to WiFi like it used to. Connects to the home network just fine, but hotels, gyms, etc I have to manually tap the network. Am I missing something here?
Case in point: I’m at a Hilton and already signed into the network, but I go to use the phone and have to tap it each time. My iPad has no issues. Just my phone which is an XR and on the latest iOS.

52ece16351a55243e07fba06e9cbf49c.jpg

Very glad to hear that Touch ID is coming back. Face ID was a solution to a problem that no one had. I hate the multiple swipes up to get the phone to unlock, and that I have to look at my phone to unlock it.

You don’t have to look at your phone to unlock it if you turn off that setting. How many tries is it taking you? I may have an ugly mug, but it works first try for me 99% of the time.

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You may not have to look at the phone but the phone has to be in front of your face. FaceID is crap when the phone is sitting on your desk or otherwise offset to the side. I liked touchID better. 

choices. apple hates choices. they know what's best and will decide for you.

We’re looking to finally upgrade from our 6s this weekend and understand that there is almost no trade value on them.

The ship has sailed for the Sam’s deals so would it matter where we bought the phones from or does any of these options have better advantages to purchase a Verizon iPhone 11:

Verizon wireless corporate store
Apple store
Best Buy
??
It’s been too long for us.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

We’re looking to finally upgrade from our 6s this weekend and understand that there is almost no trade value on them.

The ship has sailed for the Sam’s deals so would it matter where we bought the phones from or does any of these options have better advantages to purchase a Verizon iPhone 11:

Verizon wireless corporate store
Apple store
Best Buy
??
It’s been too long for us.

Thanks

carriers chase new line adds, meaning that most all incentives and deals are about getting people to sign contracts for new lines. this is a critical metric (net adds) that they have to communicate to the street every quarter. net adds is an indication if the company is still growing or declining. if you are already a customer of said carrier, phone only deals are few and far between. in addition, if you "finance"/spread phone costs over 24/36 months, VZ used to and probably still does charge you an additional access fee vs when you bring your own device or not on payment plan.

the best way to save money is to simply switch carriers. your phones are already paid off so it should all be net savings to you when you switch. if you are used to VZ's coverage, then AT&T is your best bet as they have comparable coverage. TMO will save more money but you WILL notice a difference in coverage. when you switch to AT&T, or TMO, you will have your existing phone numbers ported to AT&T and the new phones. it'll be seamless. the only changes are the new additional costs of "financing"/monthly payments for the phones, your new phones, and a new account/carrier to send payment to.

if you don't want to switch, you have to look for stand alone phones on ebay, amazon, best buy, or sometimes costco, or buy pre-owned through sites like ebay and swappa.com.  if buying new stand alone, usually best buy and costco have the best deals, if they have them.

• Like 1

carriers chase new line adds, meaning that most all incentives and deals are about getting people to sign contracts for new lines. this is a critical metric (net adds) that they have to communicate to the street every quarter. net adds is an indication if the company is still growing or declining. if you are already a customer of said carrier, phone only deals are few and far between. in addition, if you "finance"/spread phone costs over 24/36 months, VZ used to and probably still does charge you an additional access fee vs when you bring your own device or not on payment plan.
the best way to save money is to simply switch carriers. your phones are already paid off so it should all be net savings to you when you switch. if you are used to VZ's coverage, then AT&T is your best bet as they have comparable coverage. TMO will save more money but you WILL notice a difference in coverage. when you switch to AT&T, or TMO, you will have your existing phone numbers ported to AT&T and the new phones. it'll be seamless. the only changes are the new additional costs of "financing"/monthly payments for the phones, your new phones, and a new account/carrier to send payment to.
if you don't want to switch, you have to look for stand alone phones on ebay, amazon, best buy, or sometimes costco, or buy pre-owned through sites like ebay and swappa.com.  if buying new stand alone, usually best buy and costco have the best deals, if they have them.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

So i made the switch last Friday, been an android guy since the beginning.my S8+ was petering so I got the 11pro max.

I miss a few things from Android- fingerprint sensor, always on, some other small things. I haven’t used an iPhone enough to know what I’m getting besides a lot better speakers(a lot), and fun things with iMessage. Biggest reason I switch is everyone in my family has an iPhone and my wife would send grainy pixelated vids of our kids. Sucked big time. Guess that’s a sign of the times when that’s priority #1 in getting a phone

It’s a cool ass phone so far. Don’t like the price but as my favorite YouTube reviewer flossy carter says...” gotta pay to play “

Probably my biggest complaint after using it for a week or so has to do with the notification bar, control center, and notch. The way I hold my phone makes it really difficult to reach up and pull down the control center with one hand, and I tend to use it quite a bit. Was much easier when you pulled it up from the bottom. And now because of the notch, you have to pull down the control center even more - for instance, to check and see if an alarm is set. Big step back in usability.

I know most Android OEMs have notches as well, but the whole idea is idiotic. Would anyone really have cared if they just had a small bezel all the way across the top to give us a perfectly rectangular screen? What the fuck are these two little extra bits of screen on either side actually giving me?

Still think it feels chunky, too. Holding the 11 Pro in one hand and my 8 in the other is like night and day (TWSS). Battery life is great I guess, but I have a wireless charger at home and one on my desk at work so really IDGAF. I'll get used to it eventually I'm sure.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I've decided to go pick up the SE.  Me dropping my 6s and breaking the display was the kicker. 

Well, I dropped it and didn't notice when doing yardwork, and the GF ran it over with the car and broke the display.

Anyway, here's the question.  My current 6s is a 64 gig, and shows 25 gigs available.  Is there any reason to get the model with more memory than 64?  It's not that expensive to upgrade, I just don't know if I will benefit at all.  Is it worth the 50 bucks to get the 128?

Edited by Gil Bang

But it's too obvious when you carry your iPad into the restroom at work. 

Somewhat related, got a new iPad Pro and the Magic Keyboard. Impressed with the keyboard, though way too expensive. Won't be dragging it into the restroom.

Edited by Deej

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm so pissed I bought an 11 six months ago.  Loved my old SE so much more.   I hate the huge size of most of today's iphones.  That's what ipads are for.  

Exactly how I feel after using my 11 Pro for 3 months. Still feels chunky as hell compared to my old 8. I think people are going to look back on the 6 -> 8 era as peak iPhone.

Also, fuuuuuuuck Apple and their insistence on naming shit the same thing over and over and over again. Would it have killed them to just call it "SE2"? I have no fucking idea what model iPad I have for this reason. They're going to start doing it with the flagship iPhone, I can feel it.

I'm so pissed I bought an 11 six months ago.  Loved my old SE so much more.   I hate the huge size of most of today's iphones.  That's what ipads are for.  

I’ll give you a bag of crushed beer cans for it. Probably worth about tree fiddy.

11 hours ago, tokamak said:

Exactly how I feel after using my 11 Pro for 3 months. Still feels chunky as hell compared to my old 8. I think people are going to look back on the 6 -> 8 era as peak iPhone.

Also, fuuuuuuuck Apple and their insistence on naming shit the same thing over and over and over again. Would it have killed them to just call it "SE2"? I have no fucking idea what model iPad I have for this reason. They're going to start doing it with the flagship iPhone, I can feel it.

To be fair that is what most industries do. Automobile for example, you only know the model and year of a car by reading the specs. 

Guest Lobo

What's the oldest/smallest IPhone version you can still buy as new?  I like the new SE but I want to get a smaller type and I don't give a shit about screen size/camera.  Thanks

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

what's the story with the wireless charging?  Is there a surly-recommended wireless pad?    Are they universal pretty much, or are there specific ones for specific phones?

I got the ones from Costco.  Works like a champ.