Apple iPhone Thread

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

question about the phone I'm retiring:  Is it still S.O.P. to drain the battery completely before sticking it in a drawer somewhere?

I charge my old one periodically in case I need it for a backup.  Don't know if that's SOP or not.  I think they like it better when they have a charge.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, bluto said:

Really tempted by the new SE but the batter capacity appears noticeably less than my Xr. Kinda a bummer as I loved the original SE

On 5/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, Apple said that you get like 12 hours of video from the new SE.

Meanwhile, after using my phone today for about 12 hours, including listening to music over Bluetooth and headphones I’m at 10% battery

here is what Anandtech said about it, it's much less than the XR in their tests (12.95 vs 10.7)

n0PwyDdc

full review here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15745/the-iphone-se-2020-quick-review-reinvigorated-classic/7

In terms of battery life, the iPhone SE is said to perform similarly to the iPhone 8. Apple here employs a much newer and more efficient SoC in the form of the A13, while retaining the same battery capacity and display panel as the older phone. In essence, what we’re testing here is merely Apple’s calibration of the iPhone SE’s A13 chip in terms of its performance vs energy usage. Naturally of course, the new SE will have a more efficient cellular and WiFi chip as well which will contribute to the efficiency of the device.

In our web browsing test that we were able to run overnight, the iPhone SE confirms Apple’s claims of it matching the iPhone 8, and we’re essentially getting near identical results at 10.7h vs 10.4h, only a few minutes apart difference between the two devices.

We had noted in our iPhone 11 review that Apple’s battery life marketing claims oddly matched the results in our web test, and this again is the case for the new iPhone SE.

Whilst the iPhone SE isn’t able to match the longevity of the iPhone 11’s, it’s still a reasonably good result considering the battery capacity and size of the phone.

I had a fucking nightmare today.  

My mom has been using androids, and can never figure shit out on them.  She's constantly calling me asking how to do something.    She was bitching the other day about something wrong with her phone, so I ordered her an SE.

So, today I'm using the app to migrate all the contacts, photos, etc over from the android to the iphone.  It doesn't work.  I try everything.  I search the web for answers, and still, nothing works.

So, I call applecare.  I went through 3 people there, and nobody could figure it out.   Finally, I pulled my old 6 out of the drawer, powered it up, wiped it clean, and then tried doing the migration with it instead of the SE.   Easy as pie, smooth as silk.  15 minutes later, all my mom's shit was on my old 6.  Then, I wipe her new SE, and set it up using the 6 and the iOS to iOS dealie.  Again, smooth as silk.   Finally, it's done. 

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I had a fucking nightmare today.  

My mom has been using androids, and can never figure shit out on them.  She's constantly calling me asking how to do something.    She was bitching the other day about something wrong with her phone, so I ordered her an SE.

So, today I'm using the app to migrate all the contacts, photos, etc over from the android to the iphone.  It doesn't work.  I try everything.  I search the web for answers, and still, nothing works.

So, I call applecare.  I went through 3 people there, and nobody could figure it out.   Finally, I pulled my old 6 out of the drawer, powered it up, wiped it clean, and then tried doing the migration with it instead of the SE.   Easy as pie, smooth as silk.  15 minutes later, all my mom's shit was on my old 6.  Then, I wipe her new SE, and set it up using the 6 and the iOS to iOS dealie.  Again, smooth as silk.   Finally, it's done. 

just did this for my mom too actually - had issues, google'd found a bunch of crap, restarted, disconnected/reconnected to wifi and it finally worked, just took like 4 hours (!!!)

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Yeah Apple’s transfer process is hot garbage. I’ve gotten stuck in loops even going from iPhone to iPhone.

turns out my mom's finished last night - or said it did - then after setting up her phone nothing transferred over. 

great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, dirtonia said:

Lol, who knows? Not poor, get a new one every year.

I'm far from poor.  From what i've read the 12 isn't going to have much over the 11.  If I can save a few hundred by waiting a month or two to upgrade, I can spend that one something else. like hookers.

Guest Lobo

I'm strongly considering upgrading my 128GB phone to a new SE 64GB.  With all the music and photos I have, I'm still hovering around 40GB.  How slow do they start to run when you get up to ~50GB or so on a 64GB unit?  And yes, I am bragging about my current phone being an iPhone 7.  'Cause I'm pimp like that.  

Guest Lobo

Got it, don't know what site I was looking at but it looked like $150 difference.  Yeah, $50 more for the amount of the videos of the kids I take, makes sense.  Thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...

My mother has an iPhone and I don't know shit about them. She saw me use Google Lens to identify a plant in her yard and now she has to have that for her phone. Is this built in to the camera, or is there a free app that works well for this?  

iPhone Xr

Edited by BBQ2Bayou

15 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

My mother has an iPhone and I don't know shit about them. She saw me use Google Lens to identify a plant in her yard and now she has to have that for her phone. Is this built in to the camera, or is there a free app that works well for this?  

iPhone Xr

you can use Google Photos - take the photo, open it up in Google Photos then on the bottom there are 4 icons, a share icon (box w/ arrow pointing up), settings, the Google Lens icon in black and white and trash can.

she wants the third over from the left (Lens)

600px-Google_Lens_-_new_logo.png

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I have an iPhone 8 that’s running slow and apps are frequently crashing. I’m tempted to upgrade to the iPhone 11 Pro. Any reason I should hold out for the iPhone 12?

12 will supposedly have 5G. Doesn't really matter right now but if you plan to keep the phone a long time that might come into play.

15 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I have an iPhone 8 that’s running slow and apps are frequently crashing. I’m tempted to upgrade to the iPhone 11 Pro. Any reason I should hold out for the iPhone 12?

At this point there is zero reason to buy an 11 Pro - it is going to be significantly cheaper (used) in the next few months once the new line comes out.

I'd recommend starting from scratch on your phone maybe?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any of you applesexuals using an apple watch?

What do you really use it for?

I'm considering getting an SE w/o cellular.  No real reason to.  Just consumer impulse I guess.  Since im not going to work and wearing my big boys clothes, Im not wearing my real watches.  It'll be for basic reading of heart rate, temp, basic activity tracker for hiking, etc. 

Kinda wanted the ECG and Blood Oxygen stuff, but I read it requires 15 seconds+ of reading, which really isnt worth it.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Any of you applesexuals using an apple watch?

What do you really use it for?

I'm considering getting an SE w/o cellular.  No real reason to.  Just consumer impulse I guess.  Since im not going to work and wearing my big boys clothes, Im not wearing my real watches.  It'll be for basic reading of heart rate, temp, basic activity tracker for hiking, etc. 

Kinda wanted the ECG and Blood Oxygen stuff, but I read it requires 15 seconds+ of reading, which really isnt worth it.

My wife has been wearing one for a couple years. She likes it but all she seems to do on it is text and check the weather. Just one more thing to tie her to work 24/7 if you ask me. I think she also uses the heart rate stuff now that we have a Peloton.

Pre COVID I used my watch for text updates incognito during meetings, not it does not matter. But still stopwatch, alarms, weather, Uber, Peloton, airline updates all come in handy. Additionally, you can download music to the watch and listen while not near your phone.

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Will be interesting to see if the new Iphones have 90Hz or 120Hz refresh rate screens. 

It’s gonna be 90, and I’m gonna be pissed. But 5G and a monthly phone allowance for work means a free upgrade via the IUP, so I’ll get it anyways.

Costco TMobile has a $430 off the new S20 5G FE with trade in. I traded in my S8. I got the new S20 5G FE for $200 (involves trade in and then getting a debit card for the $430ish). No new line required. Just upgrade an existing line.

I really like the S20 FE. It's the same size as my OnePlus 6T. Camera is great. Snappy and fast as hell with the 865 chip. This is my first 120Hz screen. I can DEFINITELY see a difference. Hard to explain but it just make everything smoother. Definitely not a must have but after having it, I notice the difference when I use my OP 6T 60Hz screen. I wouldn't complain if I had to use a 60Hz screen again, it's just nicer to have the 120Hz.

Anyway, if you have TMO, you might want to check out the deal.

https://membershipwireless.com/tmobile-samsung

Also, if you don't like the bloat on the Sammie hardware, you can easily uninstall or disable the system apps via ADB. I froze all the Knox and Bixby shit. I've frozen 60+ bloatware apps. Did this on my S8. Makes the phone run so much smoother. Let me know if you want to know more about how to ADB. I believe ABD commands also works on most other Android phones.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Costco TMobile has a $430 off the new S20 5G FE with trade in. I traded in my S8. I got the new S20 5G FE for $200 (involves trade in and then getting a debit card for the $430ish). No new line required. Just upgrade an existing line.

I really like the S20 FE. It's the same size as my OnePlus 6T. Camera is great. Snappy and fast as hell with the 865 chip. This is my first 120Hz screen. I can DEFINITELY see a difference. Hard to explain but it just make everything smoother. Definitely not a must have but after having it, I notice the difference when I use my OP 6T 60Hz screen. I wouldn't complain if I had to use a 60Hz screen again, it's just nicer to have the 120Hz.

Anyway, if you have TMO, you might want to check out the deal.

https://membershipwireless.com/tmobile-samsung

Also, if you don't like the bloat on the Sammie hardware, you can easily uninstall or disable the system apps via ADB. I froze all the Knox and Bixby shit. I've frozen 60+ bloatware apps. Did this on my S8. Makes the phone run so much smoother. Let me know if you want to know more about how to ADB. I believe ABD commands also works on most other Android phones.

Well, Apple is introducing the new models tomorrow. No S20 Fan Edition though from Apple. 

So, no 120Hz display. LIDAR seems cool the 1 or 2 times a year that you'll use it. Cameras are "better" but at this point, can anyone blindly choose the difference between the top flagship photos? And you'd have to nitpick to find faults in most of the pictures.

Mobile phones are at the point of laptops. No really new innovative shit. I mean how much room for innovation do you have for devices whose use cases include surfing the web, playing mindless games, and taking selfies and Instagram photos?

Really disappointed about the no 120Hz. That's shit that you would see every time you use the phone. But again, it's nit picking to complain about 60Hz vs 120Hz. Still would be nice to keep up with 2019.

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

So, no 120Hz display. LIDAR seems cool the 1 or 2 times a year that you'll use it. Cameras are "better" but at this point, can anyone blindly choose the difference between the top flagship photos? And you'd have to nitpick to find faults in most of the pictures.

Mobile phones are at the point of laptops. No really new innovative shit. I mean how much room for innovation do you have for devices whose use cases include surfing the web, playing mindless games, and taking selfies and Instagram photos?

Really disappointed about the no 120Hz. That's shit that you would see every time you use the phone. But again, it's nit picking to complain about 60Hz vs 120Hz. Still would be nice to keep up with 2019.

it all but confirmed my decision to buy an 11 pro max, save some $ and see what they have next generation

it all but confirmed my decision to buy an 11 pro max, save some $ and see what they have next generation

What specifically made you decide on an 11 Pro Max? Do you think you would miss the lack of 5G?

I ask because I have an iPhone 8 that I’m ready to upgrade. My battery life is fading and I would always like a better camera and faster connectivity. I’m not sure I would truly appreciate a 120 Hz screen or a lot of the other spec upgrades.

I think the iPhone 12 Mini will be good for me. It’s slightly smaller than my iPhone 8 yet still increases my screen size from 4.7” to 5.4”, better cameras, more storage, faster chip, and 5G.