Apple iPhone Thread

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

it all but confirmed my decision to buy an 11 pro max, save some $ and see what they have next generation

the compelling reasons to get the 12 is if you just have to have the latest and greatest or you 3-5 year old phone is so bad that you need a new phone. I can't see LIDAR as a reason to run out and get a new phone. 5G is DEFINITELY NOT a reason, right now. The 5G that is rolled out now may or may not be faster than your 4G. But it WILL use more battery so there's a net negative for current 5G. You won't see meaningful mmWave 5G coverage until 3-5 years from now.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

What specifically made you decide on an 11 Pro Max? Do you think you would miss the lack of 5G?

I ask because I have an iPhone 8 that I’m ready to upgrade. My battery life is fading and I would always like a better camera and faster connectivity. I’m not sure I would truly appreciate a 120 Hz screen or a lot of the other spec upgrades.

I think the iPhone 12 Mini will be good for me. It’s slightly smaller than my iPhone 8 yet still increases my screen size from 4.7” to 5.4”, better cameras, more storage, faster chip, and 5G.

lack of 5G coverage in my service area.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

What specifically made you decide on an 11 Pro Max? Do you think you would miss the lack of 5G?

I ask because I have an iPhone 8 that I’m ready to upgrade. My battery life is fading and I would always like a better camera and faster connectivity. I’m not sure I would truly appreciate a 120 Hz screen or a lot of the other spec upgrades.

I think the iPhone 12 Mini will be good for me. It’s slightly smaller than my iPhone 8 yet still increases my screen size from 4.7” to 5.4”, better cameras, more storage, faster chip, and 5G.

120 Hz is very noticeable. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Damn was hoping to upgrade my X when Apple finally made a leap, but this doesn't seem like a leap forward, just 5G which may or may not be good in some places. 

If your phone is not slow, or the battery is not bad, I.e. if it doesn't need replacing, it doesn't need replacing

Can they switch out the charging port relatively painlessly/cheaply?  Mine is jacked up, I clean it weekly.  But it you basically have to hold the cord in there for it to charge correctly these days.  Battery evaporates from 100% to 80% instantly.  Then holds okay down to about 20-30% and then disappears again.  I should get a new phone, I just don't want one.  Mine works just fine aside from battery issues. 

you can take it to a repair shop and they can really clean it by taking it apart.  not sure on the cost.  I had a S8+ (not apple) where i got the screen replaced and the port did not work.  Dude said there was tons of dirt when he had it split open and after cleaning it worked great.  not sure how much just a port cleaning would be.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Can they switch out the charging port relatively painlessly/cheaply?  Mine is jacked up, I clean it weekly.  But it you basically have to hold the cord in there for it to charge correctly these days.  Battery evaporates from 100% to 80% instantly.  Then holds okay down to about 20-30% and then disappears again.  I should get a new phone, I just don't want one.  Mine works just fine aside from battery issues. 

4 hours ago, NoName said:

i have the same issue

if you have the right tools, go slow, and watch copious amounts of videos on youtube, it's a relatively easy job. depending on the phone model, you will prob loose the IP68 water proof thing as you won't be able to seal it as good as it was before you took the phone apart. ifixit sells the port assembly piece for $35. i'm sure you can find it cheaper on ebay. i've changed out all kinds of shit for my kids' iphones from iphone 4 to 6s. haven't had to do any fixes on their X.

i remember the iphone 6 and 6s models having the wireless and bt antenna issues. apple genius fuckheads said it was unfixable and needed to get a new phone. it was a $10 part and 30 mins total time to fix. hardest part was taking apart all of the shit to get to the antenna. just be clean and organized and it's easy. yea fuck apple and that bullshit.

here's the charging port vid for the X. i'm sure the XS, and 11 models are relatively the same. you can use a hairdryer to heat up the phone and loosen the glue.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What’s the price of a 12 going to be? Is a 11max with max memory going to drop down from $1500 in price? Wife’s looking to upgrade from her 8+

al the old stuff dropped by 100.  you could get a better deal just looking for it on the apple refurb store.  or buy smaller capacity and pay for cloud storage so tim cook can snoop on all your noods

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, Dark Horse said:

Really disappointed I have to limp along on my iPhone 8 for another month before I can get a 12mini. 

If you have ATT they are offering $800.00 for a trade in of an iPhone 8 and up.  The deal is spread out over 30 months and you must be on a unlimited plan.  I was able to reduce my monthly family plan with six lines by $50 a month for the unlimited plan and get a iPhone 12 Pro 256gb for $10.00 a month.

Not a bad deal if you plan to stay with ATT and not upgrade the phone in the next 30 months.

If you have ATT they are offering $800.00 for a trade in of an iPhone 8 and up.  The deal is spread out over 30 months and you must be on a unlimited plan.  I was able to reduce my monthly family plan with six lines by $50 a month for the unlimited plan and get a iPhone 12 Pro 256gb for $10.00 a month.
Not a bad deal if you plan to stay with ATT and not upgrade the phone in the next 30 months.

I saw this mentioned on slickdeals but I can’t figure out how it works. The Apple website has an area to calculate trade-in value based on your phone model and provider and it says $140 for an iPhone 8 on ATT. How do you get the higher trade-in value?

I saw this mentioned on slickdeals but I can’t figure out how it works. The Apple website has an area to calculate trade-in value based on your phone model and provider and it says $140 for an iPhone 8 on ATT. How do you get the higher trade-in value?

Most carriers are offering upgrade deals for new or existing customers. T-Mobile is varying based on the age of your trade in. I’m sure they are subsidizing; from their standpoint they are locking you in for 30 months since they are giving you a billing credit. That’s why you can get more from them than Apple.

30 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Through ATT.  Did the deal through myatt.com.  If you want to buy the phone from Apple then it states on the selections “not to select trade-in”. You would do that after you purchase the phone.  

34 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

34F9D93C-9512-4824-BA0D-6EB39C94F1AF.png

44 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Most carriers are offering upgrade deals for new or existing customers. T-Mobile is varying based on the age of your trade in. I’m sure they are subsidizing; from their standpoint they are locking you in for 30 months since they are giving you a billing credit. That’s why you can get more from them than Apple.

I've been with AT&T for a long time on an unlimited plan with 3 lines. I don't plan to switch providers anytime soon so it seems like a reasonable trade-in offer unless they are forcing me onto a newer unlimited plan that ends up costing more on a monthly basis to offset the trade-in credit.

Update on this since I just finished the t-Mobile process. They “trade” value for my Xr was $211 of the $415 total upgrade discount. My daughter’s 7 was only valued at $55 for trade but received a $300 credit. Honestly wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on the Trades just for that amount but received an additional $200/line as a 15 yr+ customer. So my effective price is $384 for my 128 gb 12 pro and $379 for her 128 gb 12. Catch is to get the full amount have to agree to 30 months of bill credits.

too lazy to dig through the reddit post to post numbers but the 12 batteries are smaller than the 11. supposedly the 5nm chip is more efficient but when everybody is offering 4000+ mAh batteries on phones, Apple gonna Apple and gimp the battery even more. the fuck they thinking. 

You gain efficiency when design the hardware and software. But you already know that.

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I selected No and then went the the ATT trade in website. Had me enter all info then gave me shipping label. Never game me a trade in number or credit value??  Is there another step I’m missing, or need to call directly?

I did mine through ATT direct, so don’t quote me on the process.  

I think you have to go to to the att.com/trade in link and put in promo code TRADEINOFFER20.  

You might want to call Apple to make sure you do it right.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I selected No and then went the the ATT trade in website. Had me enter all info then gave me shipping label. Never game me a trade in number or credit value??  Is there another step I’m missing, or need to call directly?

Click Yes if you have a trade in

Would prefer larger batteries on the iphone but fuck it, if it proves insufficient, battery case it is

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Click Yes if you have a trade in

Would prefer larger batteries on the iphone but fuck it, if it proves insufficient, battery case it is

Actually you click “No” if you want to do the $800.00 deal through AT&T.  (See the image) 

It was a little confusing through Apple, so that is why I did mine direct with AT&T.

00012825-DE0A-4CAD-AAA9-AB759683C8A3.png

3 minutes ago, Big D said:

Actually you click “No” if you want to do the $800.00 deal through AT&T.  (See the image) 

It was a little confusing through Apple, so that is why I did mine direct with AT&T.

00012825-DE0A-4CAD-AAA9-AB759683C8A3.png

ah yeah i see

well if you click No you get the drop-down that shows you estimated max trade-in value

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Siap but what’s going on with my AirPods. The right one routinely fails to charge. If I take it out and put it back in sometimes it will recharge just fine.

7f581dce7b1a1eceed8503d40ec31b73.jpg

Clean the ear piece tips with soft cloth and maybe a little alcohol.  Apple says not to put anything into the charging hole of the case, but you can maybe put a little alcohol on q-tip and swirl it around in there.  Otherwise, just use compressed air can to blow out the case of any lint.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on sw to replace fw on new phone? 
Company sent me XR and my mobile help desk ported number over with no issue. 
So went to port iCloud backup to this and it stated had to do SW update. It did it and says Update complete. Swipe up and “Company name configuration is loading.” 
SCEP has invalid response. Error. 
Cant do anything else. 
Login to iCloud and it sends confirmation code to phone I can’t use. 

So looked and found SW to reload, but damn $40-50 with lots of “automatic renewal” bs. 
Really want to avoid store if at all possible but not for those prices.

I thought MDM issues as well but googling tells me it’s a pretty generic error after updates. 
Tried doing ITunes and get message about phone is not to be controlled by this pc. (company PC). Same message on home PC. 
Help desk I’m 90% sure will tell me to go to Apple. 

iPhone user question for the group.

My son dropped his iPhone about 15 feet of lake water.  He had been backing it up to the family cloud.  We got him a new phone and want to download his backup to the new one. But, when he goes in download it, the phone sends a two person authentication code to the phone at the bottom of the lake.  How can we bypass this to get his Icloud backup on the new phone?

He did happen to back up his phone to his PC back in July, but had turned on Icloud back up after that.  So, we did manage to use the PC back up to get him going. But, he wants to get all the stuff that he's backed up to the cloud since July.  I'm sure this has happened to some of you.