Apple iPhone Thread

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

this is the new flex consumer good. you are gonna be flexing your wealth when you wear these on the subway. 

i can't wait for the $50 knockoffs.

exactly my thoughts as well.  it starts with the samsung, then ends with the thousands of generic chinese ones

• 1 month later...

Maybe this should go in the cord cutters thread or elsewhere, but here's the question. I have an iPhone and MacBook, but fed up with apple and want to switch to a new laptop and phone. Up open to recommendations on android phones and windows laptops, especially if certain devices/platforms work better together.

Also I have a ton of iPhone photos I'd like to save/convert to windows, plus some other documents etc. Should I get help locally in ATX for this and if so recommendations on where to go?

4 minutes ago, texastough said:

Maybe this should go in the cord cutters thread or elsewhere, but here's the question. I have an iPhone and MacBook, but fed up with apple and want to switch to a new laptop and phone. Up open to recommendations on android phones and windows laptops, especially if certain devices/platforms work better together.

Also I have a ton of iPhone photos I'd like to save/convert to windows, plus some other documents etc. Should I get help locally in ATX for this and if so recommendations on where to go?

Windows and Android "work together" about the same, hardware be damned.  If you want Apple-ish integration, you're going to have to buy into the Google or maybe Microsoft eco-spyware-systems.

The Android thread is the place to go to talk about Android phones and recs.  The Dell XPS13 is pretty much the hands-down MBP comparo winner, although there are some good thin and light ultrabooks out there.  Build quality varies a bit and for comparable machines, there aren't just gobs of bargains.  You can find a bargain, but it will probably be compromised a little; whether in a way that affects you is a different question.

Windows 10 is stable, but as someone who left Windows at 7, the interface seems to be a complete clusterfuck of the old windows standards and counter-intuitive user-friendly bullshit.  Like the worst world of MacOS and Windows.

Assuming your iphone photos are on the cloud, you can just move them to your device(s) by logging into icloud or whatever cloud backup you use and download (and re-upload to Google Photos or whatever if you want).  You should be able to move them from your iphone to your PC using Photos or whatever and a USB-C cable (I haven't had an ios device post itunes, so I'm not sure exactly how, but I am relatively certain that that functionality still exists).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texastough said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/import-photos-and-videos-from-phone-to-pc-198f2301-e9a7-c734-5f39-a8946a5ebc99

No problem with the transfer of photos (link above).

Care to share your issues with Apple  ?     "The grass is always greener..."    🙂

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for the replies. I have a zillion issues with Apple. Yes their phones have been really reliable. But in a nutshell, I view apple as a company that started out making a superior product, but now spends its creative capital making up new ways to bleed its customers for $.  Slowing down old phones intentionally so that customers will upgrade is fraudulent in my book. But the company does a bunch of other subtle things to make you spend $. My MacBook default settings ended up making countless duplicate copies of drafts and such, which used up all the memory within a few months. I can't watch a lot of our videos because they take so long to load in iPhotos, even though I'm paying for the storage. Lately photos has not been letting me create new albums. A ton of the Mac specific programs/apps are super annoying to me. I could go on and on and on. I used windows for many years so I'm not worried about that switch, and I'm basically banking on the top Andriod phones today being nearly as good as the iPhone itself for things like camera, battery life, etc.

Thanks again!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:04 AM, texastough said:

Thanks for the replies. I have a zillion issues with Apple. Yes their phones have been really reliable. But in a nutshell, I view apple as a company that started out making a superior product, but now spends its creative capital making up new ways to bleed its customers for $.  Slowing down old phones intentionally so that customers will upgrade is fraudulent in my book. But the company does a bunch of other subtle things to make you spend $. My MacBook default settings ended up making countless duplicate copies of drafts and such, which used up all the memory within a few months. I can't watch a lot of our videos because they take so long to load in iPhotos, even though I'm paying for the storage. Lately photos has not been letting me create new albums. A ton of the Mac specific programs/apps are super annoying to me. I could go on and on and on. I used windows for many years so I'm not worried about that switch, and I'm basically banking on the top Andriod phones today being nearly as good as the iPhone itself for things like camera, battery life, etc.

Thanks again!

I switch between my Iphone 12, Samsung S20 FE and OnePlus 6T. I use each for about a week and switch. Why? Cause why not? 

People hate Sammie as much as people hate Apple. Sammie does make great phones. They have a ton of more stuff (apps, customization, enhancements, stuff) than Iphones. Some of it is stupid shit, but some if it is actually useful. The point being is that you get to choose what you want to use and what you don't want. Choices can be a good thing or an annoyance, depending on the type of person you are. Just need to spend a little more time setting up the phone but once it's set up, it's all gravy. My advice, get a Samsung phone. Apple does have way better processors but it's way overkill now for phones. This goes for the newer Android phones too. My 3 year old OnePlus 6T is just as fast and snappy as the 2020 Iphone 12 and Samsung S20. The cameras of the top manufacturers are basically the same. Some do better in certain lighting situations than others but you'd have to see pics side by side and nitpick to spot the difference. For most everyone else, they are all really good.

My S20 and Oneplus 6T are two day phones. Can easily make it two days on single charge. 

Re Windows laptops. You can get some really good laptops for as low as $500. It really depends on how picky you are on build quality, materials and shit. I have a 2017 XPS13, a 2016 Dell 15 7000 series and a wonderful $200 magnesium body Walmart 14" laptop. I use the $200 laptop the most because of how great the fucking deal was on the laptop. $200 for magnesium laptop that weights 2 lbs and has an Ryzen 3 processor. I spent $30 to upgrade the Ram to 16 Gbs and that was it. Best $200 I ever spent on any tech gadget. I mostly use a mouse so the differences in touchpads doesn't really matter to me. My point being, once you get past the snobbery of what kind of build material it is, as long is it's adequately powered, has 16 Gb of RAM and decent SSD, it's pretty much the same experience on Windows. If you care about how great the touchpad is, how much it weights, nits brightness, etc, you'll have to do more research and probably spend $1000. If looking at the price range, look at the top end HP, Dells, and Lenovo. Doubt you will go wrong with any of them. Again choices, but that's a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, crash_davis said:

I switch between my Iphone 12, Samsung S20 FE and OnePlus 6T. I use each for about a week and switch. Why? Cause why not? 

People hate Sammie as much as people hate Apple. Sammie does make great phones. They have a ton of more stuff (apps, customization, enhancements, stuff) than Iphones. Some of it is stupid shit, but some if it is actually useful. The point being is that you get to choose what you want to use and what you don't want. Choices can be a good thing or an annoyance, depending on the type of person you are. Just need to spend a little more time setting up the phone but once it's set up, it's all gravy. My advice, get a Samsung phone. Apple does have way better processors but it's way overkill now for phones. This goes for the newer Android phones too. My 3 year old OnePlus 6T is just as fast and snappy as the 2020 Iphone 12 and Samsung S20. The cameras of the top manufacturers are basically the same. Some do better in certain lighting situations than others but you'd have to see pics side by side and nitpick to spot the difference. For most everyone else, they are all really good.

My S20 and Oneplus 6T are two day phones. Can easily make it two days on single charge. 

Re Windows laptops. You can get some really good laptops for as low as $500. It really depends on how picky you are on build quality, materials and shit. I have a 2017 XPS13, a 2016 Dell 15 7000 series and a wonderful $200 magnesium body Walmart 14" laptop. I use the $200 laptop the most because of how great the fucking deal was on the laptop. $200 for magnesium laptop that weights 2 lbs and has an Ryzen 3 processor. I spent $30 to upgrade the Ram to 16 Gbs and that was it. Best $200 I ever spent on any tech gadget. I mostly use a mouse so the differences in touchpads doesn't really matter to me. My point being, once you get past the snobbery of what kind of build material it is, as long is it's adequately powered, has 16 Gb of RAM and decent SSD, it's pretty much the same experience on Windows. If you care about how great the touchpad is, how much it weights, nits brightness, etc, you'll have to do more research and probably spend $1000. If looking at the price range, look at the top end HP, Dells, and Lenovo. Doubt you will go wrong with any of them. Again choices, but that's a good thing.

Many thanks for the advice. Does anyone know who I would go to if I wanted help buying a windows laptop and non-iphone, transferring files (mostly pics/vids), and making sure everything new is set up correctly? In other words, are there personal individual IT consultants in Austin, or could a salesperson at a computer store help with that?

Just now, texastough said:

Many thanks for the advice. Does anyone know who I would go to if I wanted help buying a windows laptop and non-iphone, transferring files (mostly pics/vids), and making sure everything new is set up correctly? In other words, are there personal individual IT consultants in Austin, or could a salesperson at a computer store help with that?

you need help integrating the android phone with a windoze laptop for file, picture and video transfer? this is a topic that you can take to the android phone thread or start a new one. not trying to be thread police but that discussion will have nothing to do with Iphones.

• 1 month later...

Last month, I got an email from ATT saying because they were upgrading their wireless system and I had an old IPhone (5) that couldn't use the system, they would ship me a new IPhone for free.  I tried the ATT text help line, but the hirelings there didn't know anything about it. Unfortunately I deleted the original email and cannot find it. The email indicated my old IPhone version and its number, which did lend credence to the contact.

Last week, I got a notification that ATT has shipped me an IPhone SE 2020 64 GB.  The USPS tracking number shows something is indeed on its way.

Has anyone else been notified about this?  I know I'm not the only one who doesn't upgrade with each new version.

transferring my information from my 7 to my 12mini was atrocious.  Most of the shit is lost to the cloud.  This thing's battery life (somebody on here warned me, can't remember who) isn't a whole fuckton better than my 7.  But I like the smaller size and the camera is fucking awesome.  I took a few quick pics of the 2YO with her grandpa whom she hadn't seen since just after she was born.  It did that kinda cool distance zooming/out of focus hipster thing just automatically.  I passed the phone around quietly to every family member here and they all started crying it was so fucking beautiful.  That made me decide to keep the phone, so then I downloaded some apps and I found out, no matter phone I have---I use the same 6 apps-email, traffic, phone, text, music, and camera.  I think I'd be happy with a Jitterbug phone.  I tallied up my first two weeks of app usage using the phone's feature.  Apps not related to those 6 above, I used a total of 1% of my time on my phone.  I think it's because I don't like people or technology.  

tl;Dr...I guess inevitable I had to get rid of the 7 I've known and loved for several long years.  But this thing isn't any different, just smaller with a cooler camera.  But everybody's going the other way, larger phones with more useless shit on them.  

Edited by Lobo

• 2 months later...

zero click exploit for latest iphone OS. not really bashing apple here as I'm sure there are plenty of equivalent exploits in the Android world. Its crazy how much of someone's life you could unravel just by getting access to their phone. I'm sure the average joe is not likely to be targeted by this type of attack, but we sure as fuck wouldn't know if we were. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/clickless-exploits-from-israeli-firm-hacked-activists-fully-updated-iphones/

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Apple's dongle and accessories business to take a hit.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22626723/eu-commission-universal-charger-usb-c-micro-lightning-connector-smartphones

no more lightning bullshit. USB-C. welcome to 2016 iphones!!!!!!!!!

Nah man, they will just eliminate the ports. Magsafe only. Been rumored for a bit.

Apple's dongle and accessories business to take a hit.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22626723/eu-commission-universal-charger-usb-c-micro-lightning-connector-smartphones
no more lightning bullshit. USB-C. welcome to 2016 iphones!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like some people on the commission are trying to up their stock values.

Why did you guys opt for the iPhone 13? I'm ready for a new phone but the 13 was the Meh-est new product release in years. It should really be an iPhone 12s, I heard reviewers and pundits say.

It's like buying the last year of an older body style vehicle, at a premium, instead of just waiting a few months for the big upgrade. I get it if your phone was on the brink of death or something or you are upgrading an iPhone 8 or something, but to go from an 11 Pro to the 13? I'm not seeing the value there, which is why I am asking.

Why did you guys opt for the iPhone 13? I'm ready for a new phone but the 13 was the Meh-est new product release in years. It should really be an iPhone 12s, I heard reviewers and pundits say.
It's like buying the last year of an older body style vehicle, at a premium, instead of just waiting a few months for the big upgrade. I get it if your phone was on the brink of death or something or you are upgrading an iPhone 8 or something, but to go from an 11 Pro to the 13? I'm not seeing the value there, which is why I am asking.

Because I was upgrading from the 11, not the 12. I owned it outright, so trading it in brought down the monthly payments. And while yes, it isn’t drastically different than even the 11, there are some upgrades (screen, cameras and I like the form factor more).

Worry less about what other people are doing.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Because I was upgrading from the 11, not the 12. I owned it outright, so trading it in brought down the monthly payments. And while yes, it isn’t drastically different than even the 11, there are some upgrades (screen, cameras and I like the form factor more).

Worry less about what other people are doing.

Sorry you got so defensive; just curious the rationale and thinking behind it. Obviously you don't have to justify your purchases to other people on the internet, but starting from an assumption that you are generally responsible with your money and not foolish with your money no matter how rich you are, I assumed there was some good reasoning that I wasn't seeing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, torre said:

Safari compromised.

A bug in WebKit's implementation of a JavaScript API called IndexedDB can reveal your recent browsing history and even your identity, according to a blog post shared on Friday by browser fingerprinting service FingerprintJS.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/16/safari-15-webkit-indexeddb-bug/

Welp, now everyone knows exactly what this gif is for iPhone users:

fetish GIF by FirstAndMonday

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

@crash_davis how effortless is your switching?  what are you using for messaging?  test driving iphone right now after being on android for 10 years (why must all android phones  be so ginormous?) so curious how to make it as seamless as possible

I don't do iMessage. if you plan on switching your SIM between an Android phone and an Iphone, then iMessage will cause issues with not receiving texts from Iphone users. if you are all in on IOS, then you can use iMessage without issues. it's when you switch back that will cause issues. i used iMessage for awhile and didn't see what the big deal was on that being one of the big reasons why people won't switch from Iphones. you can add gimmicky stuff to your texts which i guess is cool.

notifications and settings are a hot mess. you'll get used to it. it's not that hard to switch. there are some things you may miss, like how integrated Android is with Google apps and software. there isn't anything on iphones that make me wish was on Android phones. Android tablets vs Ipad is a different matter. some apps are better for Ipads. when i say better i mean they have landscape mode when the Android tablet app is only in portrait. just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1