Apple iPhone Thread

38 minutes ago, deft said:

For sure. I broke my s2 watch a month ago and bought a s3 on Craigslist for $300. This new one is looking tempting since I’m already on cacium blockers for blood pressure and a sometimes racing heart.

Rx: Roll up a blunt blaze it up and take two tips from the bong.

You should feel much better, than having a watch tell you you're unhealthy. 

Edited by SA-KC_Horn

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is digitally blurring the background really a game changing advance?

Without manually masking an image? yes. It also seems like it blurs in 3d space as oppose to blaring all elements of the background equally.

Edited by Pasken

Apples neural network just doesn’t recognize you having typed jizz mopper enough times.....which I find odd.

So do I. I mean, I typically type it 3 times a day as I share an office with an aggy.

I will replace in kind at the same monthly price with my Apple upgrade program. Xs, 256gig. My wife needs to replace hers as well. Maybe the Xr for her.
  • Like 1

No, I carry my phone sans case, except when I'm kayaking. Now I can go naked everywhere.

Honestly, the best deal is the Xr. All the guts of the better phones, just screen and camera difference. And they have a 128GB option.

I still already went through pre-approval for IUP for the Max Black at 256GB. One thing I noticed, that I didn't see them announce, they now have a loss/theft option for Applecare+. Its slightly more expensive, but covers 2 incidents of theft or loss. 

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Dual Sim will be nice. I know quite a few folks carrying around two phones right now, and the ability to use a local sim while traveling simultaneously using your normal sim will be nice.

Still, the biggest thing for me, is IP68.

What's IP68?

These Apple events are another in those "signs I am old as fuck now" categories for me.

1. The most exciting thing is that the watch will know when I fall and will do an EKG for me. I am guessing that is not aimed at the younger demographic. So maybe all the Apple people are old, too.

2. $749 for the base model "bargain" phone. Whoa.

19 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Geeze that’s crazy on the prices.

Not really. The phone has become the central connectivity device for most everyone.  Assume a three year lifespan before you upgrade.  It's basically $1 a day for the top end of the line. People spend a lot more than that for shit that they use far less. 

Yeah, It seems like we have reached the point of if you want the latest greatest tech, you are buying a Mercedes that has the newest ABS technology, or Volvo with the lane assist and adaptive cruise control.

They rich can afford the latest tech, but in a few years it will be available to everyone at a lower price.

I don't know if that analogy is great (and thinking about it, it has been going on for quite a few years.).  But, the older Iphones still are great.  People will just be holding on to their phones longer and only upgrading one generation every two years instead of two generations.

I have had an android for years, b/c I felt Iphone charged a premium for the tech, but Android caught up and now Samsung comes out with the "cool" new tech and the phones are now $1k plus also.  There have been rumors of a folding full screen phone for years, and it may or may not happen next year, but the phones will be $1.5k I am assuming.

It's good for consumers.  The more people that but these latest phones, it makes the tech cheaper down the road.  90% of the people out there(probably 98%) don't need the the latest greatest.  It comes down to how long will Apple or other companies provide the latest IOS or Android updates on the old phones.  I think that becomes a major deciding factor going forward, how long does a company continue to support older HW.  

For me now, and I think most people.  It is mainly about battery life(better batteries, or chips that require less "juice" , and longevity of the phone (better ability to not have the screen break from a drop, or be submerged).  Camera is always a plus for me.  They will never replace a true camera with a telephoto lens, but they keep keep getting better and better at night shots which is great.) So for me it seems like the Cameras are pretty good.

The Watch tech seems cool, but it seems like at least the falling thing would be easy to do without too much hw tech and just sw.  The watch detects a sudden fall (Isnt that they Gyro tech already, but more advanced maybe), then have the sw auto call someone with a sos message.  That would be great for my 98 yr old grandma, but the battery would prevent that and she hated wearing the life alert thing.

Anyways, so as a tech geek it is always disappointing when nothing breakthrough comes out.  

Edited by BNB

I was just thinking, about battery life on phones, after my rant.

I'm surprised a phone maker hasn't come out with a, in this case 4th phone, that is maybe tech of a Iphone 7 pretty much or whatever, with the latest chips for battery saving and the latest battery tech, and sell that model.  Could it maybe last up to twice as long without the latest greatest screen, etc?  That would be interesting...Throw new tech and low tech together to make the longest lasting smartphone.

Sort of Like a watch I thought about getting.  It has a E-ink or something overlay above the oled or whatever screen, and you can always see the time, and that may last you a week or 2, unless you start using other functions on demand.

Edited by BNB

They’d never do that. Not. Ever. That’d be admitting that battery life is bad. When they’re selling point is that it can last up to 30 minutes longer than last year’s model, that tells me that they think they’ve got it all under control.

I’m not complaining about battery. I charge mine every night anyways.

4 hours ago, BNB said:

The Watch tech seems cool, but it seems like at least the falling thing would be easy to do without too much hw tech and just sw.  The watch detects a sudden fall (Isnt that they Gyro tech already, but more advanced maybe), then have the sw auto call someone with a sos message.  That would be great for my 98 yr old grandma, but the battery would prevent that and she hated wearing the life alert thing.

Anyways, so as a tech geek it is always disappointing when nothing breakthrough comes out.  

Man you're way overestimating how easy it is for engineers to cram all that tech into a small form factor and the software code that accompanies it.  

Edited by YChang

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not really. The phone has become the central connectivity device for most everyone.  Assume a three year lifespan before you upgrade.  It's basically $1 a day for the top end of the line. People spend a lot more than that for shit that they use far less. 

Still a bit crazy, imo.

imgur

And again, now the "budget" model is launching at what just a couple of years back were flagship prices.  

18 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

But Apple does provide an alternative.

You can still purchase an iPhone 7 or 8 at a lower cost than any of the X series phones.

• immamac changed the title to Apple iPhone Thread