Apple iPhone Thread

59 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Face ID has been ok for me.  I would say works about 75% of the time.  I am overall happy with the phone.

Face ID has been great except for in situations like whenever I've been skiing.

Would be cool if you could add a couple of faces for it to recognize in different situations. 

I have an sd card reader that plugs into my phone or iPad but I can't figure out how to get video from the reader onto the phone so that I can share them. The card is from my dash cam. Any help or a point in the right direction would be awesome. 

The phone is a 6s. 

16 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

I've loved my X.  The face unlock is so easy to get used to.  Anytime I use my son's ipad or their iphones it's a pain in the ass.  

Looking forward to it being an even bigger form factor

agreed. waiting for face id to make its way to the ipad. i’ll have to upgrade both mines and mrs dirt’s ipads though. $$$

New entry level iPad supports the Apple Pencil. Price for schools $299, $329 for consumers. On sale today. 

New iWork software available today. 

Pretty disappointing event overall from a product point of view. New iPad with pencil support is cool, but no MacBook Air replacement, no Airpower release like was expected. Guess the new MacBooks and other stuff will come at WWDC in June. 

Edited by Lobwedgephil

On 3/26/2018 at 9:38 AM, 4th&Five said:

got a homepod a few weeks ago.  sounds great.

Just got one a couple of weeks ago as well.  I've been happy with it so far.  Sounds great, and for the most part, Siri hasn't been an issue.

I want a goddamn new Mac Mini. 

Also, there’s finally some better deals on iPhone. Verizon has a 50% credit with a trade in. 

It has to be taken over 24 months but that’s $500 off of a X. Similar deal to how I got my 7+ for $320. At this point I’ll probably wait for the next release though 

37 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I want a goddamn new Mac Mini. 

Also, there’s finally some better deals on iPhone. Verizon has a 50% credit with a trade in. 

It has to be taken over 24 months but that’s $500 off of a X. Similar deal to how I got my 7+ for $320. At this point I’ll probably wait for the next release though 

Rumors of something on a new Mac mini at WWDC, but I won't believe it until I see it. 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Face ID has been ok for me.  I would say works about 75% of the time.  I am overall happy with the phone.

Face ID is better than I expected, but still not as reliable as Touch ID. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, woohorn said:

Anyone look at new ipad specs vs ipad pro yet?

New is $299/$329 and Microcenter has pro for $399 still. Thx!

Biggest difference you will notice is the display. Pro's have laminated display, True Tone, etc. Much nicer display, and little better chip, but right now pretty hard to justify the extra money for the Pro unless you need to perfect display. Now when they update the Pro in June or September, will probably be a much bigger difference. 

Anyone have issues getting their iPhone 8 or X to connect to Bluetooth? My 8 randomly doesn’t like pairing, and the work around seems to be to hit the mic button, wait for the “bing”, and then it connects.

It’s pretty consistent and pretty annoying.

16 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Is Apple still offering cheap battery replacements on older phones? 

Yes until end of year. It's not as easy as it could be since supply is constrained. You have to "reserve" a battery and then get it replaced.

49 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Yes until end of year. It's not as easy as it could be since supply is constrained. You have to "reserve" a battery and then get it replaced.

Exactly.  My girlfriend tried to do it through apple it was a hassle.  In the end she didn't do it.  Watch some youtube videos and get a battery kit off amazon for less $$ and take the plunge.

My phone is much better but holy shit those screws are so damn tiny inside the phone.

I reserved mines for the 6 plus 2 months ago and am still waiting for it to arrive to my local store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Anyone have issues getting their iPhone 8 or X to connect to Bluetooth? My 8 randomly doesn’t like pairing, and the work around seems to be to hit the mic button, wait for the “bing”, and then it connects.

It’s pretty consistent and pretty annoying.

Haven't experienced that, same thing on 11.3? 

Haven't experienced that, same thing on 11.3? 

I’ll try again this week on my commute. I have problems with it connecting to my car and the wife’s car.

Next complaint: my iPad Air runs like shit ever since 11. I completely wiped it and didn’t restore, just putting apps on one at a time, and it’s still pretty bad. I guess this is Apple’s planned obsolescence.

FT works 80% of time with me but haven't tried sunglasses or altering my look.

I have the X and think it is way more glitch-y than my 6S.

I have a 2 yr old ipad mini that I hate given all its issues. I use it to read / watch netflix in bed but don't think there are any good tablets in the market. My first gen iPad lasted 4+ yrs without issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Contrary to recent media reports, Apple is not dead. 

Apple today announced financial results for the second fiscal quarter of 2018, which corresponds to the first calendar quarter of the year.

For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $61.1 billion and net quarterly profit of $13.8 billion, or $2.73 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $52.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $11.0 billion, or $2.10 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. The revenue, profit, and earnings per share numbers were records for any second fiscal quarter in the company's history.

Gross margin for the quarter was 38.3 percent, compared to 38.9 percent in the year-ago quarter, with international sales accounting for 65 percent of revenue. Apple also declared an increased quarterly dividend payment of $0.73 per share, up from $0.63. The dividend is payable on May 17 to shareholders of record as of May 14.

In addition to the increase in the dividend payment, Apple says it will start a new share repurchase authorization of $100 billion and the company says it expects to wrap up its previous $210 billion repurchase authorization by the end of the current quarter.
For the quarter, Apple sold 52.2 million iPhones, compared to 50.8 million in the year-ago quarter. iPad sales were up slightly to 9.1 million, up from 8.9 million a year ago, while Mac sales slipped to 4.1 million from 4.2 million.

Apple's guidance for the third quarter of fiscal 2018 includes expected revenue of $51.5-53.5 billion and gross margin between 38 and 38.5 percent.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, Neonmoon said:

Not for work. Just for fun. 

I use my 12.9 Pro more for fun than work.  Love it, not too big at all, easy to read stuff with aging eyes.  Speaking strictly of screen size, I like it because I can run 2 apps (or safari tabs) split on the screen at the same time and both be big enough to actually use.  Also,  I like being able to see a lot of data at one time, which is obviously easier to do than with the standard iPads.  I don't even bother with our iPad 2 and iPad HD anymore - I just go in search of the Pro if it isn't immediately around.

22 hours ago, solamente73 said:

I use my 12.9 Pro more for fun than work.  Love it, not too big at all, easy to read stuff with aging eyes.  Speaking strictly of screen size, I like it because I can run 2 apps (or safari tabs) split on the screen at the same time and both be big enough to actually use.  Also,  I like being able to see a lot of data at one time, which is obviously easier to do than with the standard iPads.  I don't even bother with our iPad 2 and iPad HD anymore - I just go in search of the Pro if it isn't immediately around.

I went back and forth and landed on the smaller Pro.  When I'm split screen, I wish it was bigger...when I'm just reading forums or news, I like the size.  If I can't even decide which one I prefer, I can imagine personal preferences vary wildly.

• immamac changed the title to Apple iPhone Thread