Apple iPhone Thread

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The 8 + was last year, as was the X. Nice you got them both late but still on time. I know people who ordered the X within minutes that had a week delay, the 8+ last year took a while to sell out. 

7+ sorry...I mangled the numbering timeline. The flagship phone the year before the X.

Were those folks in the IUP program? I still swear those inventories are more generous.

I just poked around quite a bit on the Apple website. With pickup at the Domain selected, as of 7am most phone size and color combos are still available for Friday if you have Verizon or AT&T, fewer options with the other carriers. I would say generally more phones available than I remember from previous years.

Interestingly, the Max seems to have a little more supply than the regular. I wonder if Apple stuffed the channel figuring it would be more popular or if they finally found the general public’s puke point on price. I can’t ever remember the regular being in tighter supply than the plus.

The Max screen ultimately reeled me in, so I reserved one for Friday.

This is misleading because the actual size of the Xs Max is smaller then the previous Plus models. Screen size is much bigger, but footprint is smaller. 

screen-shot-2018-09-13-at-10-25-24-pm-png.781487

Absolutely, but the screen size is even wider than the plus models, which is all I was referencing. I think it’s awesome, I just didn’t realize it was that large (twss).

Think I'm getting the Xs Max. The pricing is getting ridiculous but my dumb ass will pay it anyways because I want the newest and biggest when I upgrade every other year. Have to keep my old phones to pass on to the kids so i don't get to sell the old ones anymore. Annoyed that I have to get 256GB. 128GB is perfect for me.

Oh and AT&T has but one get one $700 off the new iPhones when you add a line.

Edited by sachick

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

So the Apple Upgrade program includes AppleCare + Theft and Loss insurance?  The bill for the phone was about $169 more than I thought and I'm assuming it's the applecare.

you had to select that option. It 100% includes applecare+, but the theft and loss was an extra choice.

So the Apple Upgrade program includes AppleCare + Theft and Loss insurance?  The bill for the phone was about $169 more than I thought and I'm assuming it's the applecare.

Go look at the email they sent you. Scroll all the way to the bottom. All the way. Taxes on total price of phone.

Who wants to see a slow motion video of SA Chick handling that phone?

Y'all that already have the X with wireless charging. Do you use the wireless charging? I fall asleep listening to music so at night the phone is on my pillow plugged in. Maybe at work I would use it. I ordered a wireless charger, it was $20 with good reviews. We'll see if I use it. I think I'm also going naked, for the phone, no case.

Y'all that already have the X with wireless charging. Do you use the wireless charging? I fall asleep listening to music so at night the phone is on my pillow plugged in. Maybe at work I would use it. I ordered a wireless charger, it was $20 with good reviews. We'll see if I use it. I think I'm also going naked, for the phone, no case.

Yes. I use it at work and at home I have a cradle type one on my nightstand. I like it. It’s slower, though. It will only charge at 5W unless you get one that specifically states it will do 7.5W for iPhones. I still use a cable in the car and when sitting on the couch, though.

In the past, it seemed that updates to ios would slow down older phones but iOS 12 is reported to help speed up older phones. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

People on Reddit say it’s fantastic on their older stuff. I have to say it’s been pretty good on my older iPad mini 4. My X isn’t old obviously but it’s been good on it as well. Have had both on iOS 12 since public beta 2 or 3.

I use it at work. My brothers 2017 Tacoma has one built into the center console and I have used it. Definitely slower, but still useful.

I’m thinking I’m going to get an XR next month.

I’ve always put my phones in a case. My current phone is an SE. I’m concerned the bigger models will make the phone to obnoxious. Anyone here run without a case and not eventually drop it and crack the screen?

20 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I’ve always put my phones in a case. My current phone is an SE. I’m concerned the bigger models will make the phone to obnoxious. Anyone here run without a case and not eventually drop it and crack the screen?

Been naked since the 4. Only 2 screen breaks in that time, and both, I had slipped the phone momentarily into a shirt pocket, only to lean over. Last time that happened was the 6.

They make some type of coating you can have painted on the screen.

carrier deals if you want new.  carriers are stepping on each other's dicks trying to win or win back customers.  it's a never ending game between the carriers.  as such, if you are willing and able to switch carriers, that's your best bet.

depending on how often you want to upgrade phones, sprint may have the "best" deal.  you can get the XS for free and XS Max for about $4/month.  you are leasing the phones for 18 month after which you have to pay off the remaining balance or market value, what ever the fuck that means.  but you are on the absolute shittiest network and the plan is made to keep you on said shittiest network.  but hey, it's free for the phone, just need to pay the monthly post paid plan rate.  i believe it's only available for new customers, and maybe for new lines if you are already a customer.  need to confirm the latter.

other carriers are offering buy one at reg price, get $700 off the next one.  but need to add one or two lines.  not quite BOGO but you get the idea.  only available to new lines which means new customers or existing wanting to add a line(s).  some are also offering up to $300 off depending on the phone but that involves a trade in which you can get better value selling it on swappa or aidslist.

if you want to buy pre-owned, there's aidslist or swappa.  i highly recommend swappa.  i've purchased 7 or 8 phones from swappa.  never had one issue.  the benefit of swappa is that you are not on a "contract" like any of the above options and can switch at any time.  the con is that pre-owned phones have used batteries.  depending on how old the phone or how abused it was used (overheating, many charging cycles used, etc), you may get a crappy battery life phone. 

if you don't mind being on sprint and having more dead spots and possibly shittier coverage than the other carriers, you can get an XS for free.  best deal there is.  ymmv on your network coverage.

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Since you keep your phones a long time it seems, not sure why you want to go upgrade every year. unless you want to change that. I am on the Upgrade program, very easy to do, you just have a payment every month you didn't have before. 

the benefit of keeping a phone a long time on a plan is that you are grandfathered into whatever plan you first signed up on.  most carriers are now trying to gimp their plans so it may payoff to byod to stay on the original plan.  also after you pay off the phone, you do not have a device payment which "saves" you money.

but yea if people always want the latest and greatest, then the best idea is to get on an upgrade plan or buy whatever plan&phone deals the carriers are pushing.

• immamac changed the title to Apple iPhone Thread
31 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the benefit of keeping a phone a long time on a plan is that you are grandfathered into whatever plan you first signed up on.  most carriers are now trying to gimp their plans so it may payoff to byod to stay on the original plan.  also after you pay off the phone, you do not have a device payment which "saves" you money.

but yea if people always want the latest and greatest, then the best idea is to get on an upgrade plan or buy whatever plan&phone deals the carriers are pushing.

I agree, but if I kept a phone for 3 years, I would just buy it and keep the cheaper plan.