Apple iPhone Thread

All the things I didn’t want to hear. Love my x and the size of it. I’ve gotten used to the form factor as well after having the plus’s for so long. Dat screen size tho.....

I’ll probably wait until a gps 44 watch ends up on Craigslist and pick it up (unhappy buyer situation or something) and then bump my 42 s3 cellular down to the wife who can actually benefit from the reception as she’s known to leave her phone behind.

The only thing that bothers me is the off-axis viewing angle color shifts.  If you're looking straight onto the phone, it's a got a slightly warm white tone.  But angling the phone away from you in any direction changes the color to a more blue.  Apparently it's a product of every OLED screen.  I'll get used to it.

And Tru-tone is turned off.  I don't want my phone shifting colors.

The camera is pretty sweet.  The low light capabilities seem much improved (coming from iphone 6S).  I'll see if I can get some photos today and post them.  

On 9/21/2018 at 9:06 PM, williemackgarza said:

So i have the series 2 watch
Thinking of upping to the new 4.
Question on the cellular model, can i sync the airpods to the watch and leave phone home and still listen to my itunes music?
Do I have to dedicate a playlist only for the watch?

I know Im a dumbass

Yes, you can stream music on the cellular version without using your phone.

I went Max, but I’m noticing quite a difference in pictures I’m taking. Mostly low light. I’m also not the photographer that Swayze is, but reviews from other folks are confirming my suspicions, the differences are significant.

Thanks.

No upgrade here but al the reports I’m reading is that the camera is super impressive over the x especially in low light.

So yeah, full disclosure: I haven’t really taken any photos with it yet besides some snapshots. I am hoping to to change that this weekend. Hoping that it’s as good as people say.

So I have taken some photos in various conditions with the XS and honestly, I don’t think the upgrades to the camera warrant the upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, as far as a camera for a smartphone goes, it is pretty damn great. However, there is very little noticeable difference between the X and XS in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

57 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So I have taken some photos in various conditions with the XS and honestly, I don’t think the upgrades to the camera warrant the upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, as far as a camera for a smartphone goes, it is pretty damn great. However, there is very little noticeable difference between the X and XS in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Interesting, pretty big difference to me, especially in low light. But I upgraded for bigger screen and better battery life. 

They are basically trading “better” (on average) exposure for noise and sharpness, and then correcting it in post with the software algorithms. The software prefers a higher shutter speed since it’s doing all this fancy stuff with smart HDR to create a composite image and has to take the photos quickly. To compensate, it uses a higher ISO value. The camera uses the higher ISO and then has to apply noise reduction and local contrast later.

The algorithms they are using cater to the average situation where it will be used, and will have create a better exposure than before (this is why it’s better in low light), but it’s relying on mostly software instead of hardware to accomplish this.

That isn’t to say it’s doing a bad job. What the software doing is actually pretty incredible. The images look very good, they’re just maybe a little inconsistent and “different”, especially for someone who already had an X, like PS above. It can absolutely be improved in later firmware updates as well. As mobile phone and camera sensors in general improve, what the software side can do only gets better.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Does it make more sense to buy the new iphone from Apple directly, rather than thru AT&T in order to get applecare? Any reason to not go with apple directly?

Doesn't really matter as you can get AppleCare through both, so therefor I prefer going through Apple and avoiding any interaction with At&t. 

59 minutes ago, deft said:

Going through att or not, they’re still gonna hit you with a $30 upgrade, you know, for all the hard work they did in assisting you.

Yeah I was able to get it removed, but they hit me for that on phone and watch. Almost pisses me off enough to leave, but Verizon does the same now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife wants an Apple Watch for her birthday. The most likely choice is a 40 mm Series 4. 

I can't decide if LTE is worth the extra cost up front and the monthly data charge ($10/month on AT&T?). I'm not sure she really cares about LTE because her phone is often nearby. That being said, I may eventually want an Apple Watch myself and I think I would enjoy the LTE solely for the ability to stream music while running (although I could continue to carry my phone like I've always done). If I'm gonna get LTE myself later on (still unsure there as well), it would only make sense to do it on her watch now.

Thoughts from people who have an Apple Watch with/without LTE? I guess for 2 people I'd be looking at an extra expense of $240/year plus $100/watch.

11 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Wife wants an Apple Watch for her birthday. The most likely choice is a 40 mm Series 4. 

I can't decide if LTE is worth the extra cost up front and the monthly data charge ($10/month on AT&T?). I'm not sure she really cares about LTE because her phone is often nearby. That being said, I may eventually want an Apple Watch myself and I think I would enjoy the LTE solely for the ability to stream music while running (although I could continue to carry my phone like I've always done). If I'm gonna get LTE myself later on (still unsure there as well), it would only make sense to do it on her watch now.

Thoughts from people who have an Apple Watch with/without LTE? I guess for 2 people I'd be looking at an extra expense of $240/year plus $100/watch.

Is the cost worth it, probably not. But it is nice to have. Being able to stream Apple Music and going for a run without your phone is very nice though. But it should be 5 bucks a month, not 10. If you always have your phone with you, no real point, but if you want to be able to leave your phone at home, it works well. 

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

If she doesn't do anything without her phone, then she doesn't need LTE.  It's nifty, but I didn't get it for myself.  

My wife runs around 100 miles per month.  I bought her LTE last year and this year, for she never ran outdoors with her phone.  

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks for the info.

Does the non-LTE Apple Watch paired to the iPhone affect the iPhone battery life to a significant degree?

No.

I've worn Apple Watches since May 2015 and I've never noticed a difference in battery usage from days where I wore the watch from 6 am until midnight, or days where I didn't bother to put a watch on.

There's stories online about using a watch reducing iPhone battery life, so YMMV.  But in the 5 (yeah, I'm an Apple whore) watches I've had, and the 4 that my wife has had...the watch has had no difference on battery life.

• 2 weeks later...