Apple iPhone Thread

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yep, big fan of the XS.  Losing the button and Touch ID took some time but now that I’ve adjusted I have only 1 complaint...and it’s that I take a shit ton of unintentional screenshots, that setup isn’t optimal.

Yeah when the X came out I was taking several accidental screen shots a day, they updated the software to make it more difficult to do, but I still take one a month or so. It used to be worse. 

18 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Every iPhone I’ve had has been in one. I just want to make sure it doesn’t affect the screen and stuff. It seems like the touch screen doesn’t work quite right sometimes with the case on

Gotcha, no idea as never used those cases, haven't seen reports of any issues though. 

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

What model used Ipad should I be looking at in the $175-200 range for a girl that knows nothing about Ipads but absolutely has to have one? It won't be used for anything besides stupid crap you can do on an iphone and will most likely be dropped and broken within a month.

I'd look for an iPad Air or iPad Air 2. I'd guess those could be had for cheap these days. The iPad (6th Gen) may be had the cheap as well, as they start new at $249.

Edited by UnivTex34

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Just got the iPhone XR on Sunday. The lack of a home button takes some getting used to. Apple store gave me $250 for my iPhone 7 which was cool.

you are still new. Once it clicks, it is very hard to go back to the button. Took about a week for me.

After a couple months with my XR I think I’d rather have a 8 Plus or a XS. I really miss the 2X zoom button for the better camera. There is no way to zoom one-handed on the XR. And I’m ambivalent on Face ID. It’s nice for passwords but it’s slower than Touch ID and doesn’t work if I’m wearing sunglasses and a hat.

Battery life is good though.

What's everyone's experience with wireless charging? It seems to kinda suck. I have a charging pad on my night stand and that's convenient, but I've tried two wireless charging car docks and they can't keep up with the battery when I'm using Waze and Spotify, which is pretty much every time I'm in the car. Are there better options, or should I just go back to my magnet mount and plug/unplug each time?

What's everyone's experience with wireless charging? It seems to kinda suck. I have a charging pad on my night stand and that's convenient, but I've tried two wireless charging car docks and they can't keep up with the battery when I'm using Waze and Spotify, which is pretty much every time I'm in the car. Are there better options, or should I just go back to my magnet mount and plug/unplug each time?

Wireless is great for convenience at my desk but in the car running navigation and apps... go back to the wired option.

Wireless is great for convenience at my desk but in the car running navigation and apps... go back to the wired option.

^este. Great for nightstand or desk, not so much for car. Navigation drains my battery like crazy.

Interesting that Apple reintroduced the iPod.  Basically a scaled back iPhone without the cell network.  However with apps, you can basically use it as a phone as long as you have a connection to WiFi. 

Plus it’s a lower cost device for current and upcoming services.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting that Apple reintroduced the iPod.  Basically a scaled back iPhone without the cell network.  However with apps, you can basically use it as a phone as long as you have a connection to WiFi. 

Probably will be a big seller for people with kids that don't want to go the phone route, and cheaper then an iPad. 

I was reading a review that said that an iPod could end being a more secure device by moving away from the cell towers.  basically using a secured messaging app like Signal and a Google Voice account gives you more security than the basic iphone setup.  Almost turns the iPod into a burner phone.  

Not to mention that the iPod is smaller and lighter and cheaper than an iPhone.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Got the XR last week.
WTF happened to half my ITunes?
Songs are still on my old phone but not on the new or in my library?

Lots of problems with that. Buddy lost 4 years of photos he thought were backed up to icloud which included his two daughters (no pix) college years were gone, daddy gong.

Edited by Dolemite

Not iPhone related but I think this is the best place to ask.  I have an Apple Watch series 1 that pretty much use exclusively for the workout app.  I find that often times when I use it for any activity that requires gps such as running or biking it tends to freeze or have to restart. When it does this it usually takes about 30 seconds which is added to the activity’s time.  Back when I was still under warranty Apple swapped my watch out twice but the problem still exists (it must be software related).  I’ve pretty much just had to deal with it...  My questions are;  is this still a problem with the series 3 or 4 and does the workout app function better overall?  I don’t want to buy a new one if it’s still a shitty user experience.  

Not iPhone related but I think this is the best place to ask.  I have an Apple Watch series 1 that pretty much use exclusively for the workout app.  I find that often times when I use it for any activity that requires gps such as running or biking it tends to freeze or have to restart. When it does this it usually takes about 30 seconds which is added to the activity’s time.  Back when I was still under warranty Apple swapped my watch out twice but the problem still exists (it must be software related).  I’ve pretty much just had to deal with it...  My questions are;  is this still a problem with the series 3 or 4 and does the workout app function better overall?  I don’t want to buy a new one if it’s still a shitty user experience.  

Hmmm... to add to deft’s comment—never had that problem with my S1 or S3 watch.

They are claiming to have worked on iOS 13 from top to bottom to boost system performance everywhere.   Will believe it when I see it.  

They are really doubling down on privacy and security.  This is going to piss off a lot of governments at all levels.    Impressed with the masked ID/email addresses and the amount of data scrubbing involved.   

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1