Disney confirms Star Wars slowdown

Michael Knight

On 9/21/2018 at 7:06 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 9/21/2018 at 3:01 PM, hayden_horn said:
absolutely, solo was a fun movie. it sufferd from the TLJ hangover, which sucks for that cast and that possible spinoff, because that movie worked very well.

While I liked Rogue One, I actually preferred Solo.

I liked both. I think my problem with Rogue (and its small) is that I'm not a big fan of felicity jones in that role. Diego Luna, however, was great. Also, Saw Gerrera should have either been written out, or given an expanded role. Not everyone watched Clone Wars. Rogue gave me two of my favorite characters in Chirrut and Baze. 

I was not a fan of the first 10-20 minutes of solo. Really, until he meets Chewy.

Spoiler

And I'm still mad about Rio. Loved him. 

On 9/22/2018 at 7:39 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Do A listers not want to do SW movies?  I wonder if they saw Natalie Portman and Ewan Mcgregor kind of have their careers sullied by it and stay away.  

Because I think there are casting problems in SW that aren’t in Marvel too.  I don’t think SW got it right with Fin, Rose, Poe.  Carrie Fisher lost her charm. Harrison Ford ways banged up on the one he did and it made him look over the hill.  Donmhall Gleeson’s character is poorly written but I’m sure he didn’t have to play the over the top impotent rage machine so much.  

Compare to Marvel: RD Jr, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Rudd, Josh Brolin, ScarJo.  These are all A listers in both glow and actual ability.  

The only real actor I can think of in SW is Benecio del Toro in his stupid role. After that it is who? Adam Driver (no complaints about him but he isn’t exactly box office gold)? Max von Sydow I guess (dead immediately). Oscar Isaac?  You get down to a list of I Don’t Cares really quickly.  

What a crazy fucking post. 

On 9/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, longhornmatt said:

I still haven’t seen Solo because TLJ pissed me off and I lost interest.  I went to TFA, R1 and TLJ on opening weekends.

I also watched prequels 2 and 3 on cable after seeing The Phantom Menace in the theater for the same reason.  

Bateshorn is exactly right.  When you make not just meh, but full on shitty movies at an alarming rate, then your fans are going to respond accordingly.

This is exactly where I am.  Never got around to watching Solo because TLJ was so insultingly bad.  I enjoyed TFA, although it has zero "rewatchability" for me.  R1 is simply a great movie.  Based on this thread, it sounds like I need to watch Solo.

TLJ isn't just a bad Star Wars movie.  It is among the worst movies of the decade and almost entirely responsible for the perceived box office failure of Solo.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

This is exactly where I am.  Never got around to watching Solo because TLJ was so insultingly bad.  I enjoyed TFA, although it has zero "rewatchability" for me.  R1 is simply a great movie.  Based on this thread, it sounds like I need to watch Solo.

TLJ isn't just a bad Star Wars movie.  It is among the worst movies of the decade and almost entirely responsible for the perceived box office failure of Solo.    

I didn't like TLJ at all but I liked Solo. 

31 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

are people hyping up marvel in here?  depends if we're talking commercial vs critical success... by and large most of them are copy and paste juvenile CGI trash

Some of TLJ struck me as a pathetic attempt to "Marvelize" Star Wars.  I am specifically thinking about the cringe inducing exchange between Poe and Hux at the beginning of TLJ.  

On 9/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, bernorange said:

I think Star Wars' good will died with Jar Jar Binks.  Marvel has yet to make so egregious a mistake.

Confirmed... As that was a critical turning point for released Star Wars content, and if Disney pushes too hard on the feminist angle, there could be fan pushback...

Unlike a number of the SW universe threads on Shaggy, I feel like I agree with most of the sentiment here.

The prequels were hot garbage ruined by terrible acting and terrible writing. I've never rewatched a single one of them after seeing each of them on Thursday night when they opened, or whatever first night it was. 

TFA was fine and my kids like it. The oldsters looked uncomfortably old, but oh well. I enjoyed it, but I'm not a Star Wars guy who gets into canon and such, so it was basically just a good popcorn movie. 

Rogue One has some of my favorite trailers, ever. Weird? Maybe, but they're awesome, especially the first one. The movie itself is my favorite of all of the SW movies and I like the first 3 just fine, and watched them all at the movies or on tape when they came out as a kid.

The Last Jedi offended me on deeply personal levels as a paying viewer of cinema. It felt purposefully insulting and was such a pandering piece of shit to agenda pushers that I wanted to fucking vomit at the screen. Mary Poppins Leia is perhaps the single dumbest thing I have ever seen on screen besides watching Luke Skywalker milk a fat sea monster or the entirety of Howard the Duck. This movie is indefensible and stole not only my money, but 3 hours of my time. It's fucking hard to make me not enjoy a visit to the theater with my buddies when I can get away from a bunch of little kids at the house. This one pulled it off. I won't be watching the 9th movie. I don't care if it draws $3billion and gets praised above The Godfather, I've got other shit to do. Also, they made Luke Skywalker a dislikable bitch, and I can't understand the thinking behind that. My lasting of memory of the character will be that he's an angry, whiny fuck who helped ruined the movie and the franchise.

I really like Solo. It's also easily rewatchable. I'll see more of these.

I assume the series for tv are going to be meant for all viewers? If so, outside of the true fanbois, I'm skeptical that they'll have the following they need to be worth a fuck over many seasons. Network tv has the same problems these days. Why do I want to watch shit without cusswords, real violence, t&a, and gripping plotlines? I don't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Unlike a number of the SW universe threads on Shaggy, I feel like I agree with most of the sentiment here.

The prequels were hot garbage ruined by terrible acting and terrible writing. I've never rewatched a single one of them after seeing each of them on Thursday night when they opened, or whatever first night it was. 

TFA was fine and my kids like it. The oldsters looked uncomfortably old, but oh well. I enjoyed it, but I'm not a Star Wars guy who gets into canon and such, so it was basically just a good popcorn movie. 

Rogue One has some of my favorite trailers, ever. Weird? Maybe, but they're awesome, especially the first one. The movie itself is my favorite of all of the SW movies and I like the first 3 just fine, and watched them all at the movies or on tape when they came out as a kid.

The Last Jedi offended me on deeply personal levels as a paying viewer of cinema. It felt purposefully insulting and was such a pandering piece of shit to agenda pushers that I wanted to fucking vomit at the screen. Mary Poppins Leia is perhaps the single dumbest thing I have ever seen on screen besides watching Luke Skywalker milk a fat sea monster or the entirety of Howard the Duck. This movie is indefensible and stole not only my money, but 3 hours of my time. It's fucking hard to make me not enjoy a visit to the theater with my buddies when I can get away from a bunch of little kids at the house. This one pulled it off. I won't be watching the 9th movie. I don't care if it draws $3billion and gets praised above The Godfather, I've got other shit to do. Also, they made Luke Skywalker a dislikable bitch, and I can't understand the thinking behind that. My lasting of memory of the character will be that he's an angry, whiny fuck who helped ruined the movie and the franchise.

I assume the series for tv are going to be meant for all viewers? If so, outside of the true fanbois, I'm skeptical that they'll have the following they need to be worth a fuck over many seasons. Network tv has the same problems these days. Why do I want to watch shit without cusswords, real violence, t&a, and gripping plotlines? I don't. 

Spot on in many areas, TLJ felt far too forced, to say the least, in having a female protagonist...

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, irishtexan said:

I think they should have planned for one film a year, to come out at Christmas. One year would have been an official "Star Wars" movie, and then on off years, another background or spinoff film. 

Still haven't seen Solo. I just don't get to movies that much with two small kids. I usually wait until i can on-demand it. I've heard good things about it. TLJ just gets worse and worse each time I try to rewatch it, which I only do because my kids love Star Wars and after watching TFA a couple of dozen times, sometimes I just want new dialogue in the background. But christ almighty that movie is as bad as the prequels. 

If I were Disney I’d plan 1 live action film every other year, releasing an animated film targeted at a younger audience in the off years.  Basically, Pixar gets the babies and young kids, Star Wars animation gets the grade school and JR high kids, live action films get the adults.  They rule the box office every Christmas.

Spot on in many areas, TLJ felt far too forced, to say the least, in having a female protagonist...
There were chicks fucking everywhere. Pilots and shit. Also major holdo? That Asian bitch. Random shots of the rebels and there HAS to be a chick in the frame like wtf. Even phasma has to be a chick? Might as well made kylo ren into a chick too. At least we could have a sexy catfight with Rey. Fuck.

15 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:
On 9/25/2018 at 6:29 PM, kopp0e said:

There were chicks fucking everywhere. Pilots and shit. Also major holdo? That Asian bitch. Random shots of the rebels and there HAS to be a chick in the frame like wtf. Even phasma has to be a chick? Might as well made kylo ren into a chick too. At least we could have a sexy catfight with Rey. Fuck.

I like it... Trying to imagine the catfight scene in spandex with lightsabers...

On 9/26/2018 at 12:39 AM, closetojumping said:

rimbo says ur closeminded

On 9/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, Bevo VIII said:

The biggest issue is Disney over saturating the market and rushing to many movies out. Just think about it, so much advertisements and shit is put out by Disney it becomes too much to many consumers.

No.  The biggest issue is TLJ was a steaming pile of shit that seriously damaged the brand.

• Like 3

Movies may be slowing down by TV seems to be the medium that isn't slowing down.

STAR WARS / IGN NEWS / 3 OCT 2018 4:57 PM PDT

STAR WARS SHOW FROM IRON MAN DIRECTOR WILL FOCUS ON MANDALORIANS

Share.
The series will follow "a lone gunfighter".

BY LUCY O'BRIEN Jon Favreau has revealed that his live-action Star Wars series will focus on the Mandalorians.

A graphic shared on the Iron Man director's Instagram revealed that the series will take place after the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, and will center on a "lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy."

"After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett," read the graphic, "another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic..."

mandalorian

The Western-sounding series will reportedly cost Disney an estimated $100 million across 10 episodes.  In May, Favreau revealed the series will take place seven years after Return of the Jedi. 

The series will debut exclusively on Disney's upcoming streaming service, and Disney CEO Bob Iger previously said that the company is "developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app."

Edited by mdmost

• 3 weeks later...