"Legit" music

jimmyjazz

Mahler Symphonies are long, so the entire work might be daunting at first, but this clip has maybe the highest high in symphonic music. It's worth watching Lenny as well.

Of course, someone made a video showing different famous conductors at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this isn't their year, but at least they're back in the hunt.  I'm not a huge fan of the show, pretty much across the board.  Book falls apart towards the end, drill is a mess towards the end, guard and percussion are underscoring (which I don't understand).  4th is their max.  

• 2 weeks later...

I 'm in the process of converting all my old cassettes to digital and trashing them, just getting rid of some clutter, and came across this one, had it forever, the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.  I remember renting Koyaanisqatsi back in high school and being blown away by both the cinematography and the music, my first introduction to Philip Glass.  I actually scored and analyzed this piece for a Music Theory class at UT.  My prof said he hated Glass' music because it made him "edgy", to me it's just the opposite, it almost puts me in a trance.

Then, after moving to Austin, discovering the greatness of Vulcan Video and all the great cult movies and documentaries.  This one changed my life, and again, Philip Glass, whose soundtrack has become THE model for documentary soundtracks to this day, I still hear knockoffs constantly.

Been an fan ever since.  Does all his music pretty much sound alike?  Yeah.  OK with me, I enjoy it all, kind of classical easy listening.  For a while I bought everything he put out.  This was interesting, a collaboration with just about everybody in the indie/art world in the mid 1980s - Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, the Roches, Kronos Quartet, Suzanne Vega.   Glass wrote the music, pairing up with lyricists, these by Paul Simon.  It's got just about every Glass musical cliche in it, but I still enjoy it.

Interesting . . . I took a film class in engineering school.  I have no idea if the prof was qualified in any grand sense of the word, but I have always remembered and taken to heart his answer to the question "how long is a movie?"  

"Frame one to frame last."

His point was to get there before it starts and stay through the credits, because you'll never know what you might learn that buttons it all up.

Anyway, regarding Phillip Glass:  that class was where I saw "Koyaanisqatsi".  The soundtrack had a fairly profound effect on me.  I was fairly schooled as a classical player by then and it was like seeing (hearing) a painting created with a completely different palette.  Fascinating film.  Great music.

• 2 months later...

Here's a clip from the 2000 DCI Champion corps -- The Cavaliers (Rosemont/Chicago IL).  I marched with them but well before this show.  Yeah, I'm biased, but I can't think of a more difficult show performed at this level.  Visually and musically it is extraordinarily complex yet squeaky clean.  They were caption winners for visual (marching), guard, percussion and general effect.  Let's see the Texum Fightin' Forearm Band do THIS:

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 9:15 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Here's a clip from the 2000 DCI Champion corps -- The Cavaliers (Rosemont/Chicago IL).  I marched with them but well before this show.  Yeah, I'm biased, but I can't think of a more difficult show performed at this level.  Visually and musically it is extraordinarily complex yet squeaky clean.  They were caption winners for visual (marching), guard, percussion and general effect.  Let's see the Texum Fightin' Forearm Band do THIS:

That ending, wow!  Still though, no keyboards, no sound effects, no microphones or sound system, no spiral staircases or pyramids or see-saws or half-pipes or diners, c'mon man...

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

That ending, wow!  Still though, no keyboards, no sound effects, no microphones or sound system, no spiral staircases or pyramids or see-saws or half-pipes or diners, c'mon man...

Yeah, that last minute is insane.  Absolutely classic Michael Gaines drill, who learned much of his craft from Steve Brubaker, who designed and taught the shows I marched.

And on G bugles, too.  But alas, no synthesizers.  Womp womp.

Damn. That was spectacular, jj. As a band dad those last drills gave me both high BP and chills.

My oldest went on to march a couple of seasons on tuba with UNT and I’m pretty sure he’s done. My youngest is quite the tympanist and his HS band and percussion directors were trying to convince him to do drum corps. He opted to take time off, and i don’t blame him, but his roommate is snare on the UNT drumline and he may be getting the itch again.

It's not for everyone.  The camaraderie and teamwork is hard to beat, but it's an incredible grind.  Kids are "on" 12 hours a day.  Half their sleep is on buses heading overnight from one town to the next, and that's supplemented by a sleeping bag on a gymnasium floor.  Most nights, both happen.  The food usually sucks and there are very few free days during the summer.  Laundry happens . . . not often.

I think the chances of me not developing skin cancer are about zero.

I had a blast.  I learned more about how to work with others and how to recognize and follow a true leader than I've learned in 30 years since as an engineer.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, jimmyjazz said:

They say that graduating from UNT is a problem . . . you should have been plucked into a touring band by then.  I can't even comprehend that level of talent.

A very good friend got her masters at UNT in French Horn.  We were sort of neck and neck in HS, but she was 2 years younger, and her ceiling was much higher.  She went on to play in the Army band for years, which is no small feat.  I got the feeling she felt like she was (a) just an OK player after working her way through Denton and (b) as a non-jazzer, just not quite at the right school, even though the talent and professors were prodigious.  Crazy how that school can break you down.

My sister lives in that world.  She has accompanied some of the greatest singers of our time -- Pavarotti, Domingo -- and plays with the Opera Theater of St. Louis and the St. Louis Symphony (at times).  She can't make much more money than a middle school teacher.  It's brutal.

I heard that was the problem with Reb Beach, that he graduated from Berkeley.