The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

They are the 74 million, and while dying off, they are still a formidable force

Uhh...yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there Peter

These people have kids, and the kids think the same stupid shit. There is SOME betterment obviously from generation to generation as it's much better than it was in 1865, 1900, 1964, 2020, but it's not all gravy these days. 

Robby, you can’t speak here at CPAC.  You’re a plumber, this is for elected officials and serious political commentators. 

Ya, that’s why they send me...I am expert.  

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Seems like low hanging fruit here for the FBI

Every time I see Gosar’s name I think of seeing that ad in 2018 with his siblings basically saying he is a less than stellar human being. Remembering that right now in conjunction with seeing him having given a speech to white nationalists earlier this week reminds me why they aired their personal feelings about him.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Every time I see Gosar’s name I think of seeing that ad in 2018 with his siblings basically saying he is a less than stellar human being. Remembering that right now in conjunction with seeing him having given a speech to white nationalists earlier this week reminds me why they aired their personal feelings about him.

If his last name was "Smith", they would not have said a word, and just hoped everybody would assume it was a different Smith.

But yeah, he was going out there with a unique surname, so they had to try and protect their reputations.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

....which demonstrates the true disease that is killing us: toxic individualism.

Individualism and individual liberty are not only fine, they are important. But when they are at the expense of ANY interest in community, we, and the common good....that’s killing us.

By keeping people divided into little one person or one core family unit islands, we make ourselves vulnerable to....well, damned near everything.

Keep going.

Why do you think toxic individualism is killing us in 2021 and wasn’t in— 2001, or 1991 or 1971, etc.

Get to the root cause, keep going. I’m more encouraged by this post of yours than ever that you can be redeemed. Yay!

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I counted 22 "I, I'm, me, my"s. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

....which demonstrates the true disease that is killing us: toxic individualism.

Individualism and individual liberty are not only fine, they are important. But when they are at the expense of ANY interest in community, we, and the common good....that’s killing us.

By keeping people divided into little one person or one core family unit islands, we make ourselves vulnerable to....well, damned near everything.

Who would have thought a person that begins their screed with “you need to know my opinion” and ends it with “I won’t listen to your opinion” has issues?

2 hours ago, ndawg said:

And all the while, if these people just signed out of Facebook, then the entire culture war they're willing to tear down our democracy over would utterly dematerialize. They're raging so hard against Hollywood cancel culture as if they're the next ones that will be sent to the gulags, when they could end it instantly by just getting off the fucking internet.

It's not just toxic individualism, it's toxic individualism suffering from an insidious obsession with an imaginary collective enemy.

62 percent of Americans say they are "afraid" to express their political views and that a whopping 80 percent of them believe political correctness is a "problem."

"If you think it's just for celebrities, no," Maher asserted. "In an era when everyone is online, everyone is a public figure. It's like we're all trapped in 'The Hills Have Eyes... and Wifi.'"

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

62 percent of Americans say they are "afraid" to express their political views and that a whopping 80 percent of them believe political correctness is a "problem."

"If you think it's just for celebrities, no," Maher asserted. "In an era when everyone is online, everyone is a public figure. It's like we're all trapped in 'The Hills Have Eyes... and Wifi.'"

Bill seems to be going through the change of life. Every week, he manages to rail against wokeness, liberal cancel culture and other perceived wounds he sees himself sustaining. His most aggravating penchant is finding the most egregiously obscure example of liberal cultural overreach and pretending it’s the norm. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Bill seems to be going through the change of life. Every week, he manages to rail against wokeness, liberal cancel culture and other perceived wounds he sees himself sustaining. His most aggravating penchant is finding the most egregiously obscure example of liberal cultural overreach and pretending it’s the norm. 

The data/numbers still point to an issue and a reasonable concern for people, right? I get that taking an outlier and making it a fundamental anchor in your thesis is disingenuous, but what at what point do you say an outlier is no longer an outlier but a trend?

And maybe the answer is, we’ve always been and had so stupid and politically absurd people and didn’t know it, we just see example of left (and right) stupidity everyday because we are all so interconnected and online. And what does that mean? To ndawgs point of “if everyone would just get off Facebook/internet!” the toothpaste is out of the tube. We are in Industrial Revolution 4.0 and whether you want to be or are being dragged there, it’s a digital world where the poor don’t have food, but they have a smart phone looking for that free WiFi.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The data/numbers still point to an issue and a reasonable concern for people, right? I get that taking an outlier and making it a fundamental anchor in your thesis is disingenuous, but what at what point do you say an outlier is no longer an outlier but a trend?

And maybe the answer is, we’ve always been and had so stupid and politically absurd people and didn’t know it, we just see example of left (and right) stupidity everyday because we are all so interconnected and online. And what does that mean? To ndawgs point of “if everyone would just get off Facebook/internet!” the toothpaste is out of the tube. We are in Industrial Revolution 4.0 and whether you want to be or are being dragged there, it’s a digital world where the poor don’t have food, but they have a smart phone looking for that free WiFi.

I think the numbers point to the problem I described precisely.

People FEEL concerned about cancel culture because they’re addicted to the only medium that it can even take place on.

If Facebook and Twitter were banished from the Internet, nobody would be worried about “cancel culture.”

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I think the numbers point to the problem I described precisely.

People FEEL concerned about cancel culture because they’re addicted to the only medium that it can even take place on.

If Facebook and Twitter were banished from the Internet, nobody would be worried about “cancel culture.”

Disagree in two ways, and I’ll challenge you to think about what I’m going to say in a way you would if you didn’t feel like you already knew the answer:

1) people feel concerned. Not because they are addicted (though they are), but because they witness and experience people being cancelled and in many ways it’s a “therefore but does the Grace of God go I” situation when talking about the most progressive new cancellations by those who are slower to see trends, read rooms and tea leaves. Their being addicted drives the fear that at some point they will be online and do something to lose their job, their whatever, because a mass of people decided it so. It’s like with Covid. People aren’t feeling fear of Covid because they are not going to stop going to bars or whatever high risk public places they go, but because they have a chance of getting Covid and dying.

2) Facebook/internet/Twitter etc are like the Mexican cartels. It’s less important who is on top, because if you take one out, another will rise to the top in that power vacuum. People aren’t going to stop their consuming and habits and addiction to internet, just like Americans arent going to stop demanding Mexican drugs. You going to make the internet illegal? Outlaw social media? There is always the next disruptive and addictive internet craze dying to make trillions off our attention based economy and the toothpaste, again, is out of the tube.

in my opinions.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Keep going.

Why do you think toxic individualism is killing us in 2021 and wasn’t in— 2001, or 1991 or 1971, etc.

Get to the root cause, keep going. I’m more encouraged by this post of yours than ever that you can be redeemed. Yay!

Somewhere in a bunker, Brisket reads the above. He leans back into his desk chair...

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta
Forgot Pam!
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Gavin Newsom's biggest mistake. Makes me question his intellect when listening to her now.  

Maybe she's one of those women who becomes difined by the man they're with. If so, this doesn't look so bad.

spacer.png

Pretty solid worshipful companion, it looks like to me. People change.

I know nothing about her beyond a few scattered facts and the insane GOP speech.

• Like 1

We’re all in agreement here, the GQP is now just a Cruella Deville caricature, just evil personified, right? And I mean all of us, including the party supporters here. Y’all agree, right? I mean, we know you LIKE that, and this is what you want....but you don’t deny it anymore.

Don’t drag Cruella into the mud with the GQP.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just amused that the bunch who dreamt up the notion of "fake news" has the lack of self-awareness to complain about "cancel culture" -- cancellation is a real thing, but it's also universal. This isn't a "both sides" argument, either. It's a slam on dogmatism generally, and you can be a fundamentalist anything. If you are, your odds of being wrong increase exponentially.

Outside of comic relief, why are we giving these people air? I hope CNN and MSNBC do not show Trump’s speech at this. We’ll just be going back to 2016 when he was on every network 24/7 and giving him a voice again. Do they show every time Obama does a speech? No. Get over him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brandywine said:

Outside of comic relief, why are we giving these people air? I hope CNN and MSNBC do not show Trump’s speech at this. We’ll just be going back to 2016 when he was on every network 24/7 and giving him a voice again. Do they show every time Obama does a speech? No. Get over him. 

Maybe it goes back to driving content that attracts eyes and ratings and dollars? I have to imagine Trump on the air after a month off would be catnip for a lot of the base.

And it raises the question, do you think the cable news media/infotainment of CNN and FoxNews ought to be moral arbiters of legal content and follow tenets of ethical journalism, or, are they for profit businesses driving revenue growth?

39 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Disagree in two ways, and I’ll challenge you to think about what I’m going to say in a way you would if you didn’t feel like you already knew the answer:

1) people feel concerned. Not because they are addicted (though they are), but because they witness and experience people being cancelled and in many ways it’s a “therefore but does the Grace of God go I” situation when talking about the most progressive new cancellations by those who are slower to see trends, read rooms and tea leaves. Their being addicted drives the fear that at some point they will be online and do something to lose their job, their whatever, because a mass of people decided it so. It’s like with Covid. People aren’t feeling fear of Covid because they are not going to stop going to bars or whatever high risk public places they go, but because they have a chance of getting Covid and dying.

2) Facebook/internet/Twitter etc are like the Mexican cartels. It’s less important who is on top, because if you take one out, another will rise to the top in that power vacuum. People aren’t going to stop their consuming and habits and addiction to internet, just like Americans arent going to stop demanding Mexican drugs. You going to make the internet illegal? Outlaw social media? There is always the next disruptive and addictive internet craze dying to make trillions off our attention based economy and the toothpaste, again, is out of the tube.

in my opinions.

Perhaps these people feel so concerned and afraid because that's all that fox news and right wing media shovels down their faces?

A similar analogue is that """many people""" are worried about election fraud, but just because there is a shared belief that doesn't make it real. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Perhaps these people feel so concerned and afraid because that's all that fox news and right wing media shovels down their faces?

A similar analogue is that """many people""" are worried about election fraud, but just because there is a shared belief that doesn't make it real. 

I am going to be less white here and concede any notions of arrogance and certainty and consider what you’ve suggested. I would humbly ask you to be less white as well and meet me in this better together space and I will ask you. Do these numbers sound like they are the result of foxnews, OaN, Parler, etc? 

62 percent of Americans say they are "afraid" to express their political views and that a whopping 80 percent of them believe political correctness is a "problem."

I grant that some of those may be, but I think it’s clear 62% and 80% are not exclusive to the GQP party and the tricks used on them. The blame needs to be spread more equitably?

• Fuck You 1

I am going to be less white here and concede any notions of arrogance and certainty and consider what you’ve suggested. I would humbly ask you to be less white as well and meet me in this better together space and I will ask you. Do these numbers sound like they are the result of foxnews, OaN, Parler, etc? 

I grant that some of those may be, but I think it’s clear 62% and 80% are not exclusive to the GQP party and the tricks used on them. The blame needs to be spread more equitably?

If you'll cite me that poll and it's questions and sample group it'd be a much more concrete discussion, and not just talking a random snippet you found that matches your talking points

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe she's one of those women who becomes difined by the man they're with. If so, this doesn't look so bad.

spacer.png

I know nothing about her beyond a few scattered facts and the insane GOP speech.

Gavin was a drunk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I ain't gonna tell you how to live, but surly ain't worth endangering yourself and others just to shit post in the cloak room lol

haha I know. Thanks.

Does CATO do anything for you? That’s levitation, Holmes.

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share

Implications

Taking these results together indicates that a significant majority of Americans with diverse political views and backgrounds self‐censor their political opinions. This large number from across demographic groups suggests withheld opinions may not simply be radical or fringe perspectives in the process of being socially marginalized. Instead many of these opinions may be shared by a large number of people. Opinions so widely shared are likely shaping how people think about salient policy issues and ultimately impacting how they vote. But if people feel they cannot discuss these important policy matters, such views will not have an opportunity to be scrutinized, understood, or reformed.

55 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

We've seen this pic before haven't we?  Oh yeah, this... 

spacer.png

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

And it raises the question, do you think the cable news media/infotainment of CNN and FoxNews ought to be moral arbiters of legal content and follow tenets of ethical journalism, or, are they for profit businesses driving revenue growth?

One is a news organization the other is a propaganda device for a specific political party. Why not throw in the Southern Baptist Convention as well?

You're pushing it, DC. Really pushing it.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Most of last night felt like watching Hannity, including a conversation with Megan Kelly about how mistreated white people are.

I think he made a conscious decision after Trump lost. Gotta rail against something. 

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

One is a news organization the other is a propaganda device for a specific political party. Why not throw in the Southern Baptist Convention as well?

You're pushing it, DC. Really pushing it.

Respectfully, CNN is as more a cable entertainment/infotainment company more than a journalism/news organization. That much has been established.

• Fuck You 5

Respectfully, CNN is as more a cable entertainment/infotainment company more than a journalism/news organization. That much has been established.

I gotta disagree with you man. They certainly DO have entertainment and infotainment, but they do actual news and fact based reporting for the majority of their programming. 

And you know, they haven't defended themselves in court with "we're not news, we're opinion!" 

Also thanks for linking the poll you referenced. Its interesting that the conservative demo polled was already prone to believe they would be persecuted for their beliefs. I only skimmed it but I'll read it in a bit

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Captainant said:

I gotta disagree with you man. They certainly DO have entertainment and infotainment, but they do actual news and fact based reporting for the majority of their programming. 

And you know, they haven't defended themselves in court with "we're not news, we're opinion!" 

Also thanks for linking the poll you referenced. Its interesting that the conservative demo polled was already prone to believe they would be persecuted for their beliefs. I only skimmed it but I'll read it in a bit

Read it because it’s interesting that Democrats (moderates) think this way too and only “very liberal” were ones who had confidence and/or lack of fear.

Fox news is clearly infotainment WWE-style “news”. I’m unconvinced, based off what I’d seen in the past, that CNN is a home to a true capital J, Journalism ethic, but ill concede the point because I don’t care and it’s not germane to any point being made.

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I find plenty wrong with CNN as a news outlet (better word than organization which I originally wrote). I disagree with your above description.

I guess if you really want to respond to my post (I'm not saying that you didn't), confirm or deny that CNN and FOX are generally the same thing.

The fact that huge numbers of people felt uncomfortable expressing their views that segregation was still a good thing and the races should not mingle - because of political correctness - does not mean we should give a shit that they feel uncomfortable.

Continue equal amounts of education and ridicule until they no longer feel uncomfortable - or until they shut their idiot pie holes about feeling uncomfortable because their views are no longer aired in a decent society and they get it.

2d96d00043d858c62e17ae02929fdbe2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3