The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Implications

Taking these results together indicates that a significant majority of Americans with diverse political views and backgrounds self‐censor their political opinions. This large number from across demographic groups suggests withheld opinions may not simply be radical or fringe perspectives in the process of being socially marginalized. Instead many of these opinions may be shared by a large number of people. Opinions so widely shared are likely shaping how people think about salient policy issues and ultimately impacting how they vote. But if people feel they cannot discuss these important policy matters, such views will not have an opportunity to be scrutinized, understood, or reformed.

Americans have self-censored on matters regarding politics, sex, and religion since forever. 

It's a standard- the norm- and nothing new. It's just that conservatives are catching up now in terms of being affected and, lo and behold, it's now an issue near and dear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One of my favorite short stories is called “The Marching Morons,” a sort of vicious “Idicocracy” from the 1950s. Far in the future, “morons” far outweigh a tiny, set upon cognitive elite. The cognitive elites allow the morons to believe they are in control while working nonstop to prevent the morons from killing everyone and destroying the planet. But a complete collapse is on the horizon as the morons breed faster than the elites can solve the problems they create. 

Enter an man of average intelligence and cynicism from the mid-20th century who was in suspended animation after a freak dental accident. Although he’s not as intelligent as the cognitive elite, he is far more ruthless and finds a solution to the problem set— using Nazi propaganda and mid century marketing techniques, he convinces the morons that a literal paradise awaits them on Venus.  He engineers fake “postcards” and transmissions from early “Venusian settlers.” The morons willingly board rocket ships en masse that the elites simply shoot into the vastness of space and abandon. 

But the elites secretly hate the propagandeer— he’s from an era that could have solved the problem of uncontrolled idiot population growth without resorting to mass murder, but failed to act.  In the end, he is duped and loaded aboard one of the final rockets to be blasted into the sun.

I think there’s a lesson there for lots of current GOP rank and file, voters, and leaders.

So what you are saying is we need to recalibrate the target audience for Elon Musk's spaceships? Or die?

Is that Marjorie's sister in the number 2 slot? 

Edited by washparkhorn
Neanderthal in styling, I must say. Barney Rubble. No offense intended, seriously. She might want to start wearing skins and fur to complete the brand. The current styling is off. It's fashion season after all. (no offense intended) seriously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/cpac-trump-election/2021/02/27/669c1ab2-791f-11eb-948d-19472e683521_story.html

Right Side Broadcasting Network was streaming the Conservative Political Action Conference, and the content was becoming a problem. One of the weekend's first panels had brought a lawyer for Donald Trump's 2020 campaign together with other anti-"voter fraud" crusaders, and they suggested that Nevada's election was stolen for the Democrats.

“We must jump in here and make a small disclosure: We want you to do your own research,” broke in Brian Glenn, a host at the conservative streaming network.

The Republican Party on display at CPAC this weekend was anti-monopoly, anti-free trade, skeptical of foreign wars, girded for economic conflict with China — and frequently invested in things that aren’t true.

Election myths were mentioned often, though rarely the damage they’d led to on Jan. 6, when hordes of Trump supporters fueled by the falsehoods and seeking to block Joe Biden’s election stormed the Capitol.

Some conservatives tried to advance the issue by laying out voting restrictions they said would solve problems — ones that did not mar November’s election — or condemned a Democratic voting bill expected to pass next month.

More frequently, they suggested that the election had not been honest — a topic that spilled from panel to panel, fact or no fact.

Spoiler

During the panel that Right Side broke away from, Jesse Binnall, an attorney who represented Trump’s campaign in Nevada, insisted that they’d found 40,000 double-voters and 1,500 ballots cast by dead people, claims that a state judge in Carson City said were unsubstantiated.

Fox News commentator Deroy Murdock, who joined that panel, said in a separate speech Friday that “mysterious late-night ballot dumps” had erased Trump’s lead in key states; in reality, those large Biden margins from urban counties matched Democratic performances in other recent elections. On the panel, Murdock repeated the myth that every Trump lawsuit had been dismissed for procedural, not factual, reasons; actually, judges in Nevada, Wisconsin and Arizona had ruled against election challengers on the merits, saying the supposed evidence provided did not hold up to scrutiny.

Another unofficial panel, led by a group that hosted a gold-colored statue of Trump at its booth, was closed to most media. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, who falsely claimed last month that “President Trump won here in Georgia,” was among the guests seen entering the room Saturday.

As that panel unfolded, a breakout session hosted by Republican election lawyers and a Georgia county GOP chair found questioners and panelists debating which of the fraud theories they could believe.

Marci McCarthy, a DeKalb County GOP official, suggested that Democratic groups had suppressed votes by “telling Republicans to stay home” — an argument made by Lin Wood, an attorney who worked on some of the unsuccessful lawsuits to overturn state elections. When one attendee suggested that voting machines in Texas had flipped votes, attorney Charlie Spies jumped in to refute her.

“I may get booed offstage for this, but that’s simply not true,” Spies said, talking over some heckling as he explained that a popular baseless claim about rigged machines in Michigan was false. “Let’s win the elections and not worry about things that aren’t true.”

Four more panels on election rules were scheduled for Sunday, including a discussion of “failed states” with Rep. Mike Kelly of Pennsylvania, who led a lawsuitto throw out all 2.5 million of the state’s absentee ballots.

Trump’s feuds with election officials and social media companies have become the conservative movement’s causes, as the weekend demonstrated. Trump will make his first post-White House speech at the conference on Sunday.

A regular sub-theme for Trump loyalists was censorship; left unspoken was that various politicians, including Trump, were kicked off social media platforms for repeatedly spreading falsehoods about the election.

“If they can censor him, they can censor any American citizen,” said Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, who got a standing ovation on Friday when he talked about contesting Pennsylvania’s electoral votes on Jan. 6. “I said, we ought to have a debate about election integrity. What was the result of that?”

Before anyone else could answer, Hawley did: “I was called a traitor.”

Some of the event’s sponsors told attendees about new social networks where they could escape post-Jan. 6 limits on their speech, or anecdotes that could validate their election doubts. Gemki Fujii, a Japanese conservative activist who paid for ads and a booth at the conference, said in a video that Americans needed to form a “samurai-to-samurai alliance” with Asian conservatives after the 2020 election was “stolen” on behalf of “the Chinese Communist Party.”

The reality of the coronavirus pandemic was also glided over. One year after Vice President Mike Pence told CPAC that the risk of mass coronavirus infections “remains low,” a conference found itself shrunken by limits on indoor gathering. Some attendees made statements with their mandatory gear, with messages like “This Mask is as Useless as Joe Biden,” “Social(ism) Distancing,” or, more frequently, “Trump 2024.”

One jarringly surreal note came from Rep. Roger Williams of Texas, comparing conditions at the time of last year’s conference with the 2021 version.

“One year ago, we had more jobs than people,” Williams said. “This president has gone in there and just gutted everything.” He did not mention the pandemic.

The treatment of both the election results and the pandemic went to prove the same point: that Trump’s brio had made Republicans win again — even when they lost. Buttons portrayed Trump as the Terminator, with the caption “I’ll be back.” The conference’s annual straw poll, which typically combines policy questions with a presidential ballot test, asks two 2024 questions this year: Whom the attendee would support if Trump runs, and whom they’d support if he doesn’t.

Democratic control of Washington loomed over the conference, but not in the way it once might have. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) was one of the only guests who mentioned the $1.9 trillion pandemic relief package that House Democrats passed Saturday morning. (McCarthy, focusing on the GOP’s strong 2020 House performance, said that “President Trump worked on all those races.”)

Displays of anti-Biden sentiment were fairly rare, as the new president had not attained the boogeyman status of former president Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, who galvanized the right.

“I can’t give the Biden stuff away,” said David Solomon, a “MAGA” merchandise seller whose post-election shirt designs included Biden with a Hitler-style mustache and the message “Not My Dictator.”

Conspiratorial elements did not begin with Trump, but before his tenure they had been relegated to side rooms or fringe candidacies. One term later, that had changed. The elements Trump had encouraged also burned outside the Hyatt where CPAC gathered.

On Friday night, white nationalist activist Nick Fuentes convinced Rep. Paul A. Gosar of Arizona to speak at his America First Political Action Conference, an event with no ties to CPAC but with some shared attendance. When Gosar was finished, Fuentes spent 67 minutes mocking a disabled member of Congress, calling the Jan. 6 riots “awesome” and demanding protection for the country’s “White demographic core.”

Gosar, one of the leaders of the push to overturn Arizona’s presidential election, distanced himself from Fuentes on Saturday, condemning “White racism” during his appearance onstage. In an interview, Gosar explained that he had attended the Friday event after being convinced he could reach a new, energetic audience that might be interested in his advocacy for stricter immigration laws and election integrity.

“There is a group of young people that are becoming part of the election process and becoming a bigger force,” Gosar said. “So why not take that energy and listen to what they’ve got to say?”

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Underneath this observation is denial that he is part of what set this up. They created a party membership upon whom they counted on to deny facts in favor of sophistry To embrace baseless outrage over argument. To hate instead of engage.

Trump didn't wave a wand. he seized the reins and applied the spurs.

Fuck this guy.

Edit to add: Wow. He raises the holy name of Reagan to indicate how this party has changed. 

We used to be this harmless caterpillar with no connection to this hideous moth. It's tragic what we've become!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Underneath this observation is denial that he is part of what set this up. They created a party membership upon whom they counted on to deny facts in favor of sophistry To embrace baseless outrage over argument. To hate instead of engage.

Trump didn't wave a wand. he seized the reins and applied the spurs.

Fuck this guy.

This.  Every architect of the modern GOP is to blame for this.  All of them.  Toss match after match after match into dry tinder.....you can't then disclaim responsibility when a nutbar comes along and fans those flames with a Santa Ana wind of Trumpist insanity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Really Pete, they're talking about the 10th amendment at these places?  If you let me poll 100 CPAC attendees, I bet not even a dozen could tell me what the 10th amendment covers.  I mean, I'm not saying the exact language of it...but they wouldn't even know vaguely what the amendment was about.  You could even give them 5 multiple choices...and I'm guessing 15% of them would get it right.  

Commander Dipshit speaking at 2:30p-CST actually.  some livestream options but you gotta register 'n shit and I don't want those fuckers having my information. Bad enough my cousin put me on some Trump physical mailing list in 2015 and I just got off of it in 2020 after I got sick of the way my postman looked at me when we'd see each other at the neighborhood mail station.  

Edited by Lobo

21 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Respectfully, CNN is as more a cable entertainment/infotainment company more than a journalism/news organization. That much has been established.

That is such fucking bull shit and you SHOULD know that. But the next post you make where you don’t sound like a fucking retard will be the first 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Trump only got 55% in the CPAC straw poll. That’s weak.  32% said they aren’t certain he should run again.

Without Trump, DeSantis had 43%. He’s the non-Trump front runner 

And he has a 97% approval by CPAC attendees but only got 55% and 1/3 don’t want him to run. Some underlying cracks.  Bc he’s now a loser 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Like this asshole is talking to real Americans at diners.

This convention is a bunch of rich people who are paid by even richer people to tell lower middle class people how to hate poor people and those who might be another color then they are.

Fixd.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

He's coming up next on C-SPAN.  The dumb, fat guy.  

Also just realized looking at Ted Cruz speaking on that stage, "AMERICA UNCANCELED" right above his head. 

The exact middle 7 letters are an anagram for "A' CANCUN" ('to Cancun')  

Who does the site prep for these fucking things?  

Edited by Lobo

This.  Every architect of the modern GOP is to blame for this.  All of them.  Toss match after match after match into dry tinder.....you can't then disclaim responsibility when a nutbar comes along and fans those flames with a Santa Ana wind of Trumpist insanity.

CC : The Lincoln Project

CC : The Lincoln Project

Trump coming out to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"......seriously...who in the fuck plans this shit?  It's a song about a woman claiming your the father of her illegitimate kid...something I'm sure Trump dealt with more than once back in the day.  How do you Trumpers watch this shit without any self-awareness?  You don't start AA meetings with "Margaritaville."  Also, Trump is almost one hour late to start.  Was he busy with many calls and many meetings?