The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Bold strategy to disclose it cost $50k to make a statue but you’re looking to sell it for a cool mil.  I’m sure people are lining up over that great deal.

Yeah the art world would be stunned if they knew all those multimillion dollar paintings were made for $10 worth of paint and canvas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Trump only got 55% in the CPAC straw poll. That’s weak.  32% said they aren’t certain he should run again.

Without Trump, DeSantis had 43%. He’s the non-Trump front runner 

And he has a 97% approval by CPAC attendees but only got 55% and 1/3 don’t want him to run. Some underlying cracks.  Bc he’s now a loser 

If DeSantis runs, I will laugh my ass off.  What a horrible human being.

The Conservative Political Action Committee's annual presidential preference poll over the years was won four times by Mitt Romney, three times by Jack Kemp and once by George W. Bush.

None would be welcome at the conference held this week in Orlando, Fla.

This right-wing confab now is more TPAC — as in Trump — than CPAC. The former president reasserted his dominance of the Republican party through 2024. Differences, much less dissent, are verboten. Former Vice President Mike Pence isn't attending, knowing he'd face a hostile reception after refusing last month to violate the law and reject the electoral votes on the presidential election.

Trump's complete control of this venerable right-wing forum is all the more remarkable considering the 2016 poll was won by Ted Cruz, followed by Marco Rubio, with Trump a distant third. The co-favorite for vice president then was Ohio Gov. John Kasich, now a prominent anti-Trump Republican.

The agenda and speakers this year underscore the Trumpification of this once vibrant, if a bit nutty, group.

There were eight breakout sessions on election fraud and security, mirroring Trump's false claim the presidential election was “stolen.” Actually, Biden won by 7 million votes, the second largest margin of the 21st century.

There were multiple sessions on China-bashing, a Trump staple; a forum on Israel and antisemitism was spared the embarrassment of discussing a fellow speaker with the last-minute nixing of “Young Pharaoh,” whose conspiracy theory promotions were outdone only by his anti-Jewish rants.

Some choices only can be explained by Trump fealty. Bernard Kerik — the former New York City Police Commissioner convicted of eight felonies, sentenced to four years, and pardoned by Trump — was on a law enforcement panel. A panel on citizenship featured Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a down-the-line Trump backer under indictment for securities fraud. Last fall at least four of Paxton’s top aides accused him of bribery and abuse of power.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/540875-cpac-all-in-for-trump-isnt-what-it-used-to-be

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

He just said that Trumpism means no riots in the streets and enforcement of law and order.  And they all clapped.  Self-awareness is dead with these people.  They are a hive mind with a charismatic psychopath at the wheel.

A key characteristic of the authoritarian personality is an ability to hold contradictory views. It makes them immune to logic. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Trump coming out to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"......seriously...who in the fuck plans this shit?  It's a song about a woman claiming your the father of her illegitimate kid...something I'm sure Trump dealt with more than once back in the day.  

The more concerning thing is...you know...the part about Michael Jackson fucking little kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Awesome editorial:

Trump has captured the Republican party – and that's great news for Biden

Donald Trump formally anoints himself the head of the Republican party at today’s Conservative Political Action Conference.

The Grand Old Party, founded in 1854 in Ripon, Wisconsin, is now dead. What’s left is a dwindling number of elected officials who have stood up to Trump but are now being purged. Even Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell’s popularity has dropped 29 points among Kentucky Republicans since he broke with Trump.

In its place is the Trump party, whose major goal is to advance Trump’s big lie that the 2020 election was stolen from him. Its agenda is to exact vengeance on Republicans who didn’t or won’t support the lie or who voted to impeach or convict Trump for inciting the violence that the lie generated, and to keep attention focused on the former president’s grievances.

As the Trump party takes over the GOP, anti-Trump Republicans are abandoning the party in droves – thereby weakening it for general elections while simultaneously strengthening Trump’s hand inside it.

It is great news for Democrats and Joe Biden.

Democrats couldn’t hope for a more perfect foil – a defeated one-term president who never cracked 47% of the popular vote, left office with just 39% approval and is now hovering at an abysmal 34%, whom most Americans dislike or loathe, and a majority believe incited an insurrection against the United States.

The gift will keep giving. Courtesy of the supreme court, Trump’s tax returns will soon be raked across America like barnyard manure. Expect more of his shady business dealings to be exposed – more payoffs, cheats and cons – as well as civil and criminal prosecutions.

The Trump party isn’t interested in appealing to the nation as a whole, anyway. It’s interested only in appealing to Trump and the base that worships him.

All this is making it nearly impossible for congressional Republicans to mount a strong opposition to Biden’s ambitious plans for Covid relief followed by major investments in infrastructure and jobs. Lacking unity, leadership, strategy, clarity or a coherent message on anything other than Trump’s grievances, the Trump party is irrelevant to the large choices facing the nation. Democrats in Washington have the public square all to themselves.

Biden is in the enviable position of getting most of America behind his agenda – and he can do so without a single Republican vote if Senate Democrats end the filibuster.

Democrats have proven themselves capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But if they and Biden use this opportunity as they should, by this time next year Covid will be a tragic memory, and the nation will be in the midst of an economic recovery propelling it toward full employment and rising wages. With the GOP in disarray and rabid Trumpism turning off ever more voters, the 2022 midterm elections could swell Democratic majorities in Congress.

But the emergence of the Trump party is deeply worrisome for America. It is a dangerous, deluded, authoritarian and potentially violent faction that has no responsible role in a democracy.

Its big lie enables supporters of the former president to believe their efforts to overturn the 2020 election were necessary to protect American democracy, and that they must continue to fight a “deep state” conspiracy to thwart Trump. This is an open invitation to violence.

The big lie also justifies Trump Party efforts to suppress votes considered “fraudulent.” In 33 states, Trump Republican lawmakers are already pushing more than 165 bills intended to stop mail-in voting, increase voter ID requirements, make it harder to register to vote and expand purges of voter rolls.

Democrats in Congress are responding with their proposed For the People Act, to expand voting through automatic voter registration across the country, early voting and enlarged mail-in voting.

The incipient civil war pits a national Democratic party representing America’s majority against a state-based Trump Party representing a defiant and overwhelmingly white, working-class minority. It’s a recipe for a harsh clash between democracy and authoritarianism.

Plus, there’s the small possibility Trump could run again in 2024 and win.

What’s good for Biden and the Democrats in the short run is potentially disastrous for America over the longer term. One of its two major parties is centered on a big lie that threatens to blow up the nation, figuratively if not literally.

• Hook 'Em 4

I made it 1 minute and 15 seconds before I had to turn it off.  What do I win?  I had to turn it off when he stated he is the most popular person ever and Biden just had the worst first month of a presidency any president has ever had.  I would say William Henry Harrison had a worse first month but you know that’s just me.  He then said wind mills stopped working and that was the TX issue and I had to turn it off.  Can’t take anymore.  These people will believe whatever this a hole says so there really is no saving them at this point.  I am all for unity and listening to the other side and compromise but at some point you just can’t do that.  Think back to the Civil War.  If you believed slavery was wrong and evil and the people from Southern states believed it was fine, well you can’t reason with that.  You have to just do what is right for the country and go from there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

A key characteristic of the authoritarian personality is an ability to hold contradictory views. It makes them immune to logic. 

yep. its why when they do talk in circles that you do not get caught up in it. what not to do below. 

28 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

trump is out there to keep the cash flowing in. great margins on those donations 

I have made the argument that the workout strategy of running/winning the Presidency back in 2015-16 to keep his debt manageable was one thing.  There were probably better ways.  But I'm looking at what he is already doing from the legal/recount/stop-the-seat fund, to his library slush fund, to this new vague, "I'm kinda, sorta still the head of the GOP and kinda, sorta need hundreds of millions to work with...with which to tremendous thing."  It's going to be the cheapest cost of capital in U.S. history. 

They'll pay him to show up to places, picking up the tab for his production costs/broadcast costs, so he can siphon off tens of millions of dollars a month from the Republican donor base...it's won't actually be covered by PAC or 501c4 or FEC disclosures, it'll all just call conveniently under the gift tax thresholds.  It'll just be this vague "MAGA fund that's just run by him with no oversight.  The cost of capital will actually be less than 0 because they'll pay him to come pick up the checks.  It's unprecedented.  I have to give the guy a little bit of credit on this, "Margins" doesn't even begin to describe what he's embarked on.  I think the finance term we'll use for generations will have to be "Tremendous Margins"...there it exceeds 100% because there's no cost of revenues, because they can't claim those on their taxes because there are no returns because if there were...they'd all go to prison.  There's nothing stopping him from just collecting $100mm this year from MAGA morons in $10,000 chunks.  The idiot donors won't be able to deduct it, but they never could before...they believe it's some sorta twisted prosperity gospel.

Holy shit, this is going to be amazing (in a really horrifying way).  And the rest of the 2024 field for GOP nomination just has to sit back and take it on the chin.  Literally.

Some deplorable was being interviewed outside of CPAC. "So you don't trust the media, or the FBI, or government officials... who do you trust?"

"Trump."

Shockingly, she also thinks that the Capitol rioters were dressed up to look like deplorables. When told that hundreds have been arrested and they are in fact Trump supporters, she just rolled her eyes. "Well you can't trust the FBI."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Some deplorable was being interviewed outside of CPAC. "So you don't trust the media, or the FBI, or government officials... who do you trust?"

"Trump."

Shockingly, she also thinks that the Capitol rioters were dressed up to look like deplorables. When told that hundreds have been arrested and they are in fact Trump supporters, she just rolled her eyes. "Well you can't trust the FBI."

Saw that.  Special.  Kind.  Of.  Stupid. 

I’m trying my best to avoid hearing Trump speak at CPAC. I know what he’s saying. He’s totally predictable and the sound of his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Yes! Nothing could be better than technical difficulties during the Golden Globes.

Laura Dern, still a hottie.

The sound is back on and I don’t know this dude. I’m out. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Have you seen Ted lately? 

There's a scene in American Pimp where they ask one of the pimp why there are no white street pimps....He just laughed, shook his head and said ""Most of these races out here don't have the charisma to shake like a pimp shake."

Cruz don't have the charisma to shake like a pimp shake. 

Somebody is out there who does, but he has yet to make himself known. ("He" is intentional. I can't see it being a woman, but who knows.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

There's a scene in American Pimp where they ask one of the pimp why there are no white street pimps....He just laughed, shook his head and said ""Most of these races out here don't have the charisma to shake like a pimp shake."

Cruz don't have the charisma to shake like a pimp shake. 

Somebody is out there who does, but he has yet to make himself known. ("He" is intentional. I can't see it being a woman, but who knows.)

They ain’t gonna vote for no fat lady 

• Hook 'Em 1