The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

On 4/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Absolutely batshit crazy idiots. 

spacer.png

That "Fuck Biden" sticker is now also a flag, blue, like the one used in his campaign. I know this because I saw one over the weekend flying in front of a busted up trailer house with too many cars out front on the side of the highway while passing through Grape Creek or Water Valley (I get those communities confused) just north of San Angelo.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

That "Fuck Biden" sticker is now also a flag, blue, like the one used in his campaign. I know this because I saw one over the weekend flying in front of a busted up trailer house with too many cars out front on the side of the highway while passing through Grape Creek or Water Valley (I get those communities confused) just north of San Angelo.

You can't blame the flag-makers. Once you've sold a dude a Confederate flag, a Gadsden flag, a Snake flag, and a Blue Line flag, what are you supposed to do, just furlough your employees and lock the doors?

That's irresponsible. You gotta make up new flags.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bojack said:

Holy shit.  I don't know all the details of The Love Guv but worse than Roy Moore?  Could you and Canecutter collaborate on a Disgraced Alabama Politicians power poll?  Not that I'm one to throw stones over here in Texas. 

It's not that they are disgraceful, it's that they are disgraceful and don't even accomplish anything. I mean, you had John T. Morgan, probably a KKK big wig, but he also pushed through the construction of the Panama Canal. George Wallace, basically gives the state radiation poisoning with his school door stand, but later pushes for the completion of Junior Colleges including one that jump-started my own humble post-HS education.

These cats now, they are rotten, and their ambition seems limited to seeing who can best walk in slow-motion through a field, carrying a never-fired shotgun.

Edited by RDCanecutter
high school education, not high explosive education
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I can't recall if Donald Trump called Secretary Buttigieg 'Sneaky Pete' prior to tagging him with the Alfred E. Neuman label, but here's the real sneaky Pete; eyeball some of the dollar amounts in the article. Whoooo boy, that's some dough right there.

That motherfucker is absolutely one of the slimier swamp creatures in a big ass fucking swamp.  I hope he goes down for something because you KNOW he has multiple crimes he's hiding.

Really good article about attention politics and Republicans 

https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/red-bull-elon-musk-and-matt-gaetz

Which brings us to Matthew Louis Gaetz II.

A lot of people have goofed on Matt Gaetz for this statement: “If you aren’t making news, you aren’t governing.”

But he’s right. Or at least, right in his conclusion that Republican party politics now behave according to attention economics.

Does it matter to his future political prospects that Matt Gaetz doesn’t advance legislation? Does it matter that Madison Cawthorn staffed up his office with comms people? Does it matter that Marjorie Taylor Greene doesn’t have committee assignments?

Well, these quirks would matter in a system where legislative accomplishments influenced voter behavior. But the preponderance of evidence suggests that Republican voters don’t care about tangible government outcomes.

They don’t care whether or not a border wall is built, or who would have (theoretically) paid for it. They don’t care about whether or not the government fails to manage a global pandemic, killing hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens. They don’t care if unemployment is up—or down. They don’t care about stimulus checks. Or the national debt.

It’s a little bit like—check that—it’s exactly like Red Bull. 

Consumers don’t care who makes Red Bull. They don’t even care what’s in the can that says “Red Bull.” What they care about is the amazing content on the Red Bull YouTube channel.

This is post-scarcity politics. Republican voters—a group distinct from Conservatism Inc.—no longer have any concrete outcomes that they want from government.

What they have, instead, is a lifestyle brand.

And if you want to move up the ladder within a brand network, you don’t do it by governing or making policy.

You do it by getting attention.

Donald Trump was the first figure to understand that this was where Republican voters had moved. Once you view Republican politics as an attention economy, everything about Trump’s rise and domination makes sense.

And it explains Matt Gaetz, too.

His current—I’m not sure what we’re supposed to call this, maybe “predicament”?—isn’t a threat. It’s the best thing that could possibly have happened to him. Gaetz gets to fill the attention vacuum left by Trump’s exile. He gets to posture and preen. Everyone talks about him and the fact that Democrats hate him only makes him more attractive to Republican voters.

This “scandal” has leveled up Matt Gaetz and made him a contender for any office he so desires (so long as he doesn’t actually go to jail) because the attention he has from Republican voters is incredibly valuable—and can be leveraged into power. No part of the Republican voting coalition will consider any of this as a mark against him.

You think I’m kidding?

Democrats do not seem to understand this new development in Republican politics, perhaps because they do not live in a post-scarcity political world. There are still a great many legislative outcomes that Democrats want from government. So they think that the governing matters more than getting attention.

That’s why Joe Biden won the nomination in a walk, even though he was practically allergic to attention. Instead, Democrats wanted a president who could deliver at least part of a long list of legislative outcomes: Vaccine distribution; closing the loophole on Obamacare’s subsidy cliff; creating a public option; granting statehood to the District of Columbia; creating a federal slate of voting rights protections; using the power of government to decrease carbon emissions; and so on.

Democrats continue to comport themselves as if they exist in a real political economy—a real world where they will be judged by voters on the outcomes of their actual policy choices. Meanwhile Republicans operate according to the rules of the attention economy.

In 2022 and 2024 these two theories of the electorate will be tested against one another. We’re unlikely to get a clean result telling us, to a certainty, which more accurately describes the attitudes of the majority of Americans.

But the fact that we don’t know which view will triumph tells us something about the state of our polity.

If a political party making and selling policy widgets can’t beat a party that ignores policy except as it is useful to memeing and producing #content for its various media channels . . . 

Well, post-scarcity is just another way of saying decadence.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck. Just fuck. 

That was good read even if the content strikes a sour note on the state of politics in our country. I think the most effective way to drown out the Death Cult is something I have harped on recently and that is passing bill after bill after bill. Keep the attention of the average American on the positive legislation you pass and make sure to take up all the air space possible while doing it. 

I know the common refrain here is that Americans are a dumb lot overall. I think there are enough Americans who are not meandering through the void that you can still succeed by doing the right thing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

That was good read even if the content strikes a sour note on the state of politics in our country. I think the most effective way to drown out the Death Cult is something I have harped on recently and that is passing bill after bill after bill. Keep the attention of the average American on the positive legislation you pass and make sure to take up all the air space possible while doing it. 

I know the common refrain here is that Americans are a dumb lot overall. I think there are enough Americans who are not meandering through the void that you can still succeed by doing the right thing. 

I agree. The best way to combat attention seekers is to ignore them and do work. It will take time to pull peoples heads out of the sand, but if one side sees the other side pass bill after bill, year after year, eventually someone will take notice. 

The article raises another important point. The Republicans don’t want anything. They have no policy objectives. Historically, their non culture war policies are lower taxes, and less regulation. As holders of all of the capital, they just want more money and to keep that money. Same with power. They have everything already. They have all the rights and resources. Their main goal is to maintain status quo. That’s why they don’t give a shit about passing legislation. They don’t want anything to change. Unless it’s a tax cut bill, or a deregulation bill. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Really good article about attention politics and Republicans 

https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/red-bull-elon-musk-and-matt-gaetz

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck. Just fuck. 

What has old brisket been telling y'all for years now?  This article highlights exactly what we've been talking about.

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Here's the problem.  It takes a majority to govern.  It only takes a sufficiently large minority to destroy, inflict pain, and burn everything and everyone indiscriminately.  Those two forces are pretty evenly matched these days.  But the nihilists have the greater passion on their side.

Yeah, that article is very perceptive.

My dissatisfaction with the GOP began with all the abortion foofaraw.  Whatever you think of the issue, it has very little to do with governing the United States today.  Yet it damn near swallowed the GOP even before it became what it is today.

Now everything to them is 'bortion.  A polarizing non-issue in the big picture.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Now everything to them is 'bortion.  A polarizing non-issue in the big picture.

It's an excuse -- a cover to take the position they TRULY want to take.

"I don't WANT to support a racist psychopath....but you Dims are making me.....cuz 'bortion."

"I don't WANT to support a a serial philanderer, rapist, and sexual abuser....but you Dims are making me.....cuz 'bortion."

"I don't WANT to support someone bought and paid for by the Koch brothers....but you Dims are making me.....cuz 'bortion."

"I don't WANT to support someone who has retrograde views on crime....but you Dims are making me.....cuz 'bortion."

Etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Once you understand that every "I don't want to support [-----]" statement is a lie, then you understand the GQP.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

It shouldn't matter anymore, but I am 101% positive that at some point in the 50 years since Roe v. Wade was argued before the Supreme Court, Donald Trump strongly encouraged a woman he was sexually involved with to have an abortion (and paid for it). 

With all of the affairs he has had, there is not so much as a rumor of him having an out-of-wedlock baby.  And while we laugh at his business acumen, he would have been a prime target for one, if not several, of these woman to lie about their birth control situation to get him to fund a lifestyle for her and their new baby.  But I'm guessing he leaned on them pretty hard to have an abortion and then just threw some hush money at them to keep quiet about the whole situation, especially the abortion.  With all those instances, there's no way a former lover of his didn't have an abortion on his command.  Plus, a guy built like he is, he's got maybe 3-4" of dick to work with so his pull-out game is going to be weak since she can't tell if it's in or not anyway.  

Plus there's literally dozens of clips of him from the 1980's, 1990's, and even 2000's talking about how pro-choice he is.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It shouldn't matter anymore, but I am 101% positive that at some point in the 50 years since Roe v. Wade was argued before the Supreme Court, Donald Trump strongly encouraged a woman he was sexually involved with to have an abortion (and paid for it). 

With all of the affairs he has had, there is not so much as a rumor of him having an out-of-wedlock baby.  And while we laugh at his business acumen, he would have been a prime target for one, if not several, of these woman to lie about their birth control situation to get him to fund a lifestyle for her and their new baby.  But I'm guessing he leaned on them pretty hard to have an abortion and then just threw some hush money at them to keep quiet about the whole situation, especially the abortion.  With all those instances, there's no way a former lover of his didn't have an abortion on his command.  Plus, a guy built like he is, he's got maybe 3-4" of dick to work with so his pull-out game is going to be weak since she can't tell if it's in or not anyway.  

Plus there's literally dozens of clips of him from the 1980's, 1990's, and even 2000's talking about how pro-choice he is.  

Yeah there is

It's still an almost certainty he's pressured and/or paid women to have abortions.

Donut boy, lulz

The majority leader of the Kansas Senate, who was arrested last month for allegedly speeding and driving the wrong way on a divided highway, called a police officer, who tried to test his blood alcohol levels, "donut boy," according to the affidavit of probable cause.

The affidavit, which detailed the circumstances surrounding the arrest of Senator Gene Suellentrop, was obtained Thursday by CNN affiliate WIBW.

On March 16, police received several calls about a white SUV that was driving in the wrong direction on I-470 near the Burlingame Road exit in Topeka, according to the Office of the District Attorney, Third Judicial District of Kansas' news release.

Following the pursuit of Suellentrop's vehicle, once the car came to a complete stop, an officer exited his vehicle and gave the senator commands to shut off the car, according to the affidavit. Suellentrop did not respond to the commands and appeared confused and frightened with a "blank stare," according to the affidavit. He was also instructed twice to step out of the vehicle.

"While reaching into the vehicle I could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from inside the vehicle," read the affidavit.

Two Topeka police officers assisted the one officer with the "high-risk traffic stop." Suellentrop was then removed from the vehicle and transported for further testing as a standard field sobriety test was not conducted due to the stop location. Also, the safety of Suellentrop and the public was a concern, according to the affidavit.

"Walking to the Intoxilyzer room he struggled with keeping his balance and I had to hold him by the arm," read the affidavit. When requesting a breath sample, he declined, saying, "I don't feel the need to do so," the affidavit added.

A search warrant was submitted to obtain a blood sample and later approved. While the blood kit was being administered, Suellentrop's demeanor became "slightly aggressive in his tone." He stated he could "take me," read the affidavit.

While in the Intoxilyzer room, Suellentrop also said: "All for going the wrong way. Donut boy," according to the affidavit.

The blood results, according to the affidavit, were Ethyl alcohol 0.17 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, more than the legal limit for operating a vehicle, according to Kansas Highway Patrol.

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, except Tiffany.  She's a lil bastard.  I have little doubt that Marla refused Teh Donald's entreaties to abort, leading to a useless marriage.  He only fucked her cuz she was Miss Hawaiian Tropic.  He couldn't bag a Miss America or Miss USA.

Edited by TwiceHorn

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Counterpoint -- but, Salty Sailor!

That's it.  They can and will excuse everything.  EVERYTHING.

Donut boy, lulz
The majority leader of the Kansas Senate, who was arrested last month for allegedly speeding and driving the wrong way on a divided highway, called a police officer, who tried to test his blood alcohol levels, "donut boy," according to the affidavit of probable cause.
The affidavit, which detailed the circumstances surrounding the arrest of Senator Gene Suellentrop, was obtained Thursday by CNN affiliate WIBW.
On March 16, police received several calls about a white SUV that was driving in the wrong direction on I-470 near the Burlingame Road exit in Topeka, according to the Office of the District Attorney, Third Judicial District of Kansas' news release.
Following the pursuit of Suellentrop's vehicle, once the car came to a complete stop, an officer exited his vehicle and gave the senator commands to shut off the car, according to the affidavit. Suellentrop did not respond to the commands and appeared confused and frightened with a "blank stare," according to the affidavit. He was also instructed twice to step out of the vehicle.
"While reaching into the vehicle I could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from inside the vehicle," read the affidavit.
Two Topeka police officers assisted the one officer with the "high-risk traffic stop." Suellentrop was then removed from the vehicle and transported for further testing as a standard field sobriety test was not conducted due to the stop location. Also, the safety of Suellentrop and the public was a concern, according to the affidavit.
"Walking to the Intoxilyzer room he struggled with keeping his balance and I had to hold him by the arm," read the affidavit. When requesting a breath sample, he declined, saying, "I don't feel the need to do so," the affidavit added.
A search warrant was submitted to obtain a blood sample and later approved. While the blood kit was being administered, Suellentrop's demeanor became "slightly aggressive in his tone." He stated he could "take me," read the affidavit.
While in the Intoxilyzer room, Suellentrop also said: "All for going the wrong way. Donut boy," according to the affidavit.
The blood results, according to the affidavit, were Ethyl alcohol 0.17 grams per 100 milliliters of blood, more than the legal limit for operating a vehicle, according to Kansas Highway Patrol.

e5a86624a01e5ee2b2501cb3ee7fdf48.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Couldn't remember which thread had the picture of the "Fuck Biden" stickers and giant pro-trump stuff, but figure this thread was good as any.  I finally saw one of the "flag trucks" last night.  Of course, it was parked in front of a coffee shop that is notorious in town right now for openly flaunting the lack of mask rules enforcement and fighting the assessed fines for doing so and other things.

Big giant flag that said "FUCK BIDEN" on one side and some prop-Trump flag on the other side.  And of course covered in stickers.

As an admitted far lefty, I'm not the biggest Biden fan.  I don't believe the plutocracy is going to save us, and instead will let us fight for crumbs while they feast.  I have enjoyed having competency and lack of crassness at the top, however.  I will praise the vaccination efforts and messaging.  And like a good chunk of people just not getting the hourly "what stupid shit did Trump say or do now" news has felt like a relief.

But this flag--this crassness.  That's something that always, always shows with these pro-Trumpers.  They follow a crass man because they are crass.   It goes hand in hand with the stupidity.  There are obviously people who voted R who didn't feel the need to plaster the F-bomb all over their vehicles.   But the most vehement supporters do it.  The True Believers.  I'm no Puritan, at all.  But I guess I generally in public do my best to be friendly to all and not go out of my way to offend.  This town somewhat brags on acting that way ("Be Nice, You're in Bend") so there's a bit of peer pressure to be nice in some ways.

I don't get the need to not only have to show the world how much you love Trump and hate libs, but the utter need to go out of your way to be as offensive as possible about it.  It is one thing to be that way online, hey we all have our moments.  But  to be a walking proclamation of crass hate, on a main road full of families just out for evening fun.  That's another level.

</myfacebookpostoftheday>

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
typeeing is haard
  • Hook 'Em 8

One would think.  They also received $32k in covid relief funding (PPP).  Which they could use for some legal fees/fight, I imagine.  I could derail the thread pretty far with all their shenanigans, most of which I only know about from reading the local subreddit/news.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

At some point in the next six months, I expect a couple of high profile defections from the GOP. Ms. Alaskan Sourpuss is a good candidate, obviously, but there are others. Riding the hate-fueled caravan to hell is making less and less sense even for the most cynical, and being in the GOP is requiring a higher and higher degree of mental illness. At some point, a few "norms" will shake loose from the nut tree.