The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This is where I’m at.   The January 6th insurrection was awful, but even then most of those people were deluded LARPers taking selfies who acted like their worlds were shattered when they got pepper sprayed.  They are committed to the cause as long as it’s safe and easy and fun make believe time. 

They haven’t done anything since and have pretty much settled into the usual bitching routine like they did when Clinton and Obama won elections.  Nobody has even said Joe Biden murdered Vince Foster or was born in Kenya.

They have too much to lose to do anything real en masse.  And if they did try it, they’d be pretty easy to put down.   They’re not REALLY hungry and desperate.   For most of them, this is their version of virtue signaling.  That part won’t stop.  They’ll bitch and rant and rave until the cows come home, but they don’t have the balls or ultimately even the sincere desire to see a real revolution through.

The real ultra violence and revolution will start after the Rs openly steal an election, probably the one in 2024. I and many others like me will have the balls and desire to shed blood if and when that happens. 

SIAP. Something that has been noticed for quite awhile with the cult, and the purity tests that take place within, and the gang/mafia beat down that occurs when someone leaves or tries to leave. Y'all have a good weekend. I'm off to ignore the Texas lege and it's attempts to push Texas off the other type of ledge.

• Hook 'Em 2

He’srightyouknow.gif

No, he’s not.

Restricting the size of the Democrat vote does not “grow” the GQP. It enables their hold on power, true. But their party numbers will dwindle. Hell, they are leaking members right now. It will get worse.

But Senator Ladybug is correct that it DOES take a MAGA mindset to thwart democracy like they are doing now, reducing minority turnout in such a ham-handed and overt manner.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

SIAP. Something that has been noticed for quite awhile with the cult, and the purity tests that take place within, and the gang/mafia beat down that occurs when someone leaves or tries to leave. Y'all have a good weekend. I'm off to ignore the Texas lege and it's attempts to push Texas off the other type of ledge.

This is the same reason the Mormons come down hard on those Mormons and boot them out, when they question them.  Can't have them hanging around, and creating doubt for other Mormons, or the whole house of cards collapses.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I dunno, I couldn't image the scenario that played out earlier this year and it sounds like we still can't imagine another one.  I understand what you're saying but nobody ever saw Obama winning two terms, including the Democrat establishment,  and nobody saw Trump winning one term.  There's a lot we don't know.  

It's not that we can't imagine another one, and by the way, I include the Michigan Governor stuff (from back in October) into the January 6th thing since those incels probably moved in the same circles as some of those who were driving the break-ins and police assaults in January. Hell, a week after the January 6th stuff, we had an armed protest here in Austin, and some of them were even carrying signs accusing Abbott of being a Democrat (they were angry about his mask mandates last year).  Allen West took photos with these people (they were gathering ahead of the Legislature meeting).

It's just that the Trump and Co. are not putting the work in on making it happen. People make comparisons to the rise of Nazi Germany, but even if you just read a single book or two, or even just glance over the timeline, there is a solid line that connects quite a few dots to get from the Beer Hall Putsch in the 1920s to the Reichstag fire a decade later, and at every step of the way you have ideologues driving things, and capitalizing on the previous steps that were taken.

There is none of that here.  Now that he's lost, Trump clearly doesn't give a fuck about running again, because he raked in hundreds of millions of dollars in donations after November 3rd, and that was a huge revelation for him.  He lost his platform with twitter/Facebook, and rather than vigorously fighting that by creating another platform where he can push his words out to the masses 24/7, he puts out little memos through his staffers to disseminate on twitter, and like I've said, he spends far too much time railing against other Republicans.

Somebody asked me what would concern me, what would make me step out on Brisket's ledge, and here's the main things:

1. If, after January 6th, Trump tried to truly capitalize on what happened there, and tried to continue to drive that crowd, and feed that frenzy. But he didn't.   He slunk back to Mar-a-Lago to feast on Big Macs, Diet Coke, and fake golf scores.
  2. If he tried to unify and grow the Republican Party, rather than divide it by trying to drive Cheney and Turtle and any moderates to the sidelines. Either he's dividing it for financial reasons, or he's trying to set the stage for his own party (which would also be for financial reasons).
  3. If he came out and vigorously defended everybody at the January 6th insurrection, and was using his PAC money to help with the legal defense of the January 6th insurrectionists.  I'm not talking about a shitty little twitter statement, I'm talking about constantly going out on any news station that would have him and defending those people, and paying every one of their legal bills.
  4. If his PACs looked like actual political action committees trying to drive an ideology, rather than a way for him to intercept campaign donations that would have went to other Republicans.
  5. If he fixed up his jet and started flying around the country, holding multiple rallies every week to get his messages out, and to whip up his followers.
  6. If he was sending his underlings out to whip up the masses.  Instead, we are reduced to Tucker Carlson tossing out clickbait soundbites, and even then, the masses are not doing what he asks. Trump's underlings seem more interested in legally covering their asses and dealing with their own grift.
  7. If he was truly focused on getting a social media platform up and running, and was actively engaged upon it with the frequency of his former twitter account.
  8. If Qanon hadn't fallen apart so quickly - if the people running Q (the Watkins, etc.) hadn't pulled the "LOL it's over, enjoy the friends we made along the way!" sign off, and hadn't pulled the rug out from under the Q crowd.

There are a few more, but those are the main things.  1-5 are the important ones.

Trump could have seized upon the January 6th insurrection, could have started holding weekly rallies around the country, but he let that energy die out, and he completely abandoned those people, and they are reduced to gofundmes for their legal defenses, and pleading to the courts that they were brainwashed by Trump or Fox News.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not that we can't imagine another one, and by the way, I include the Michigan Governor stuff (from back in October) into the January 6th thing since those incels probably moved in the same circles as some of those who were driving the break-ins and police assaults in January. Hell, a week after the January 6th stuff, we had an armed protest here in Austin, and some of them were even carrying signs accusing Abbott of being a Democrat (they were angry about his mask mandates last year).  Allen West took photos with these people (they were gathering ahead of the Legislature meeting).

It's just that the Trump and Co. are not putting the work in on making it happen. People make comparisons to the rise of Nazi Germany, but even if you just read a single book or two, or even just glance over the timeline, there is a solid line that connects quite a few dots to get from the Beer Hall Putsch in the 1920s to the Reichstag fire a decade later, and at every step of the way you have ideologues driving things, and capitalizing on the previous steps that were taken.

There is none of that here.  Now that he's lost, Trump clearly doesn't give a fuck about running again, because he raked in hundreds of millions of dollars in donations after November 3rd, and that was a huge revelation for him.  He lost his platform with twitter/Facebook, and rather than vigorously fighting that by creating another platform where he can push his words out to the masses 24/7, he puts out little memos through his staffers to disseminate on twitter, and like I've said, he spends far too much time railing against other Republicans.

Somebody asked me what would concern me, what would make me step out on Brisket's ledge, and here's the main things:

1. If, after January 6th, Trump tried to truly capitalize on what happened there, and tried to continue to drive that crowd, and feed that frenzy. But he didn't.   He slunk back to Mar-a-Lago to feast on Big Macs, Diet Coke, and fake golf scores.
  2. If he tried to unify and grow the Republican Party, rather than divide it by trying to drive Cheney and Turtle and any moderates to the sidelines. Either he's dividing it for financial reasons, or he's trying to set the stage for his own party (which would also be for financial reasons).
  3. If he came out and vigorously defended everybody at the January 6th insurrection, and was using his PAC money to help with the legal defense of the January 6th insurrectionists.  I'm not talking about a shitty little twitter statement, I'm talking about constantly going out on any news station that would have him and defending those people, and paying every one of their legal bills.
  4. If his PACs looked like actual political action committees trying to drive an ideology, rather than a way for him to intercept campaign donations that would have went to other Republicans.
  5. If he fixed up his jet and started flying around the country, holding multiple rallies every week to get his messages out, and to whip up his followers.
  6. If he was sending his underlings out to whip up the masses.  Instead, we are reduced to Tucker Carlson tossing out clickbait soundbites, and even then, the masses are not doing what he asks. Trump's underlings seem more interested in legally covering their asses and dealing with their own grift.
  7. If he was truly focused on getting a social media platform up and running, and was actively engaged upon it with the frequency of his former twitter account.
  8. If Qanon hadn't fallen apart so quickly - if the people running Q (the Watkins, etc.) hadn't pulled the "LOL it's over, enjoy the friends we made along the way!" sign off, and hadn't pulled the rug out from under the Q crowd.

There are a few more, but those are the main things.  1-5 are the important ones.

Trump could have seized upon the January 6th insurrection, could have started holding weekly rallies around the country, but he let that energy die out, and he completely abandoned those people, and they are reduced to gofundmes for their legal defenses, and pleading to the courts that they were brainwashed by Trump or Fox News.

I think you're greatly underestimating the enduring power of television and social media and the sway they have over these people. Also you seem to think that because it's been a few months and things have gone quiet that their movement is dying. I think those are both enormous mistakes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I think you're greatly underestimating the enduring power of television and social media and the sway they have over these people. Also you seem to think that because it's been a few months and things have gone quiet that their movement is dying. I think those are both enormous mistakes.

This.

So what if the comparisons to past fascist/authoritarians/cult leaders have discrepancies. Enough about how power and those who yield it are similar to  that neck hair prickling I get when a trailer for a horror movie comes on: nope, nope, nope. Want no part of the nightmare.

Trump entertaining the likes of Ted, Kevin (of the infamous McCarthys whom I'll never forgive), Lindsey, et. al all travel to Trump to visit him like friends of Hitler. If Trump had no sway, Trump would be visiting them. Sure the base is not large, the party is still getting things sorted out, but they are not going to go gently into that good night. Legislatively, electorally, and all the underhanded tricks at their disposal are in their favor because they have made it clear that ignoring all customs and rules and laws is their brand. There have been ZERO consequences other than the election outcome resulting in a different president. Every single time there have been zero consequences and Mitch knows that, Trump knows that, Pompeo, Cruz, Hawley, Greene, they absolutely are not going to stop. The one small flicker of light is that Trump cannot live forever and that more citizens are slightly aware of what has been going on but unless they act from their own community elections on up to the national races, it will become extinguished in a hurry.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Is this the same guy that said this?

"If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed ... and we will deserve it." - May 3, 2016

"All I can say is 'count me out. Enough is enough. I've tried to be helpful." - January 7, 2021

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"We can't move forward as a party without Donald Trump. The lifelong democrat who was impeached twice and never won the popular vote and never reached a 50% approval rating and in one term lost us the presidency, the senate, and the house, and who started a riot at the capitol on his way out. We just can't move forward without that guy."

This is the confounding part for me too.  It's all about the way Dotard makes them FEEL, not the results that he was able to drive or the vision of the USA that he is pushing.  It's all about feelings, grievance, owning the libs, etc. etc. etc.  White men are really the people who are being oppressed in this country and he's the only one stoking that fear.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's not raw score, its based on the delta against a future without him.  Will they do better without him?  No. These "feelings" get them to the polls and get money in the coffers. Would Rubio have beaten Biden? Or some troll like Hawley?  The average redneck wouldn't give two shits about them and they'd bring down the whole party.  They are at a point where they don't have any policy ideas, and Trump takes up so much oxygen he can hide all that. No one else can.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

New GQP agenda of the week item:  unemployment benefits.  Should employer raise their wages to something livable to attract workers?  No, we should just cut off unemployment benefits. 

South Carolina: SC governor orders end of federal pandemic unemployment programs by late June

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-governor-mcmaster-orders-end-of-federal-pandemic-unemployment-programs-by-late-june/36356614

Montana: Montana governor ends extra unemployment payments, citing worker shortage

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-governor-ends-extra-unemployment-payments-citing-worker-shortage-n1266346

The workers exist! They just don't want to work for $7.25 - $10/hour and be at risk for COVID until full immunization has been reached, or deal with Karens screaming about MUH RIGHTS and HIPAA if told to wear a mask. 

They shouldn't want to work for $7.25 - $10 / hour even if everything was just peachy keen.  Those are fucking slave wages these days.

We have basically reverted the lower class to indentured servitude and they seem to like it since a lot of them vote for the assholes that are keeping them there.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Uh oh. Trouble a brewin in the GQP.

Seems the Magats are upset with the GQP Liz Cheney replacement, Elise stefanik even though she has the blessing of dear leader. It seems she’s just not a big enough piece of shit to be one of their leaders (even though she really is) because she only voted with trump 75 percent of the time or so and is way too lenient towards brown people. 

Well I know a certain congresswoman named Marjorie who has enough time on her hands to lead the GQP! Make it happen lunatics! 

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/06/elise-stefanik-maga-trump-485584

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

New GQP agenda of the week item:  unemployment benefits.  Should employer raise their wages to something livable to attract workers?  No, we should just cut off unemployment benefits. 

South Carolina: SC governor orders end of federal pandemic unemployment programs by late June

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sc-governor-mcmaster-orders-end-of-federal-pandemic-unemployment-programs-by-late-june/36356614

Montana: Montana governor ends extra unemployment payments, citing worker shortage

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-governor-ends-extra-unemployment-payments-citing-worker-shortage-n1266346

The workers exist! They just don't want to work for $7.25 - $10/hour and be at risk for COVID until full immunization has been reached, or deal with Karens screaming about MUH RIGHTS and HIPAA if told to wear a mask. 

Hopefully, their followers feel the pinch--but they'll likely just blame the Democrats so who knows.  Their logic isn't linear.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The real ultra violence and revolution will start after the Rs openly steal an election, probably the one in 2024. I and many others like me will have the balls and desire to shed blood if and when that happens. 

They already stole an election in Georgia. Stacey Abrams received more votes. Only through direct voting suppression by tossing out votes for her by her opponent, lead to his “win.”
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Seems the Magats are upset with the GQP Liz Cheney replacement, Elise stefanik even though she has the blessing of dear leader. It seems she’s just not a big enough piece of shit to be one of their leaders (even though she really is) because she only voted with trump 75 percent of the time or so and is way too lenient towards brown people. 

Well I know a certain congresswoman named Marjorie who has enough time on her hands to lead the GQP! Make it happen lunatics! 

There's an easy solution to that and she's doing it. She is moving to become what they want. This won't be an issue next week.

But now everyone knows why Cruz and Hawley are voting against sick puppies and handicap bills.

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So having lived in a constitutional carry state for the past 6 years, let me say this about open carry. 

it’s fucking stupid and the people that carry for the right reasons don’t want others to know that they carry. 

I open carried in certain camping and hiking situations, but the bears and mountain lions don’t care or change their behavior. 

I rarely saw open carry when out and about, and when I did it was usually bikers on their way through on a road trip doing it because they can. 

most people that carry don’t want to be identified as carrying by the hypothetical threat that is the reason they are carrying.  They worry about printing from their concealed carry. 

open carry is a novelty for unserious people when it’s done in city/town areas. 

About a year and a half ago I was in a fucking cupcake shop in a nice shopping area in central Houston and this guy in there had pistol on his hip. A cupcake shop. It almost didn't register at first, it was so out of place.  I was just like, "Why?"  The guy looked like aggy, except even poorer and even less educated, so a Blinn or Tarleton guy, I guess.  Anyway, the shit pissed me off.  What if some wacko tried to take the gun off the guy just because it was there? Needlessly bringing danger around. It also felt slightly threatening.  Like you couldn't bitch about the guy cutting in line or whatever because he had a fucking gun.

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

No, he’s not.

Restricting the size of the Democrat vote does not “grow” the GQP. It enables their hold on power, true. But their party numbers will dwindle. Hell, they are leaking members right now. It will get worse.

But Senator Ladybug is correct that it DOES take a MAGA mindset to thwart democracy like they are doing now, reducing minority turnout in such a ham-handed and overt manner.

The GOP cannot grow without Trump. It most likely will continue to shrink with him as well but without trumpkins it’s already dead

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

"We can't move forward as a party without Donald Trump. The lifelong democrat who was impeached twice and never won the popular vote and never reached a 50% approval rating and in one term lost us the presidency, the senate, and the house, and who started a riot at the capitol on his way out. We just can't move forward without that guy."

That is indeed where the GQP is.  A once functioning, meaningful political party.....is now reduced to be the fan club for a destructive narcissist.

None of us could have written a credible piece of fiction about this scenario 15 years ago, yet here we are -- the fantastical and unbelievable has become stone-cold reality.

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

It's not raw score, its based on the delta against a future without him.  Will they do better without him?  No. These "feelings" get them to the polls and get money in the coffers. Would Rubio have beaten Biden? Or some troll like Hawley?  The average redneck wouldn't give two shits about them and they'd bring down the whole party.  They are at a point where they don't have any policy ideas, and Trump takes up so much oxygen he can hide all that. No one else can.

And a whole lot of this.  You invited batshit crazy people, led by a batshit crazy narcissist, into your fiesta.  And they came, in enthusiastic droves.  Helluva fiesta, right?!  But then, you realized that these people want to do things like shit on the sofa, burn down the kitchen, and cover the floors with broken glass, to totally own those pussies who think that parties are actually for fun and good times.  And many of those people -- the sane ones -- are finding a reason to leave the fiesta ("hey, I have a work meeting early tomorrow that I just remembered -- I gotta bolt").  And the sane ones who remain are all tucked in the same corner, horrified by what they see, but keeping that fake smile on their face because hey, we want a lot of people at our party.

Do what any sane person would do -- tell the fucking lunatics to GTFO -- and you'll end up left with a sad group of sane people, sitting around a busted kitchen table, drinking the last few beers, scrounging up some snacks, and trying to come up with a narrative about how the party was actually really awesome, and the rest of y'all totally should have been there.

But they won't do that, because about the only solid brand the GQP has left is "Complete Moral Cowardice."  So, they'll continue on with the shit-on-the-sofa-and-burn-down-the-kitchen party....the question is whether there will be enough sane collaborators to give that party enough guests to win elections, OR if their efforts to shut down all rival parties will be successful (fucking narcs, calling the cops on our party).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

"Miss Stefanik  Vee haf looked at zee dokumentation and declared you impure."

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This legislation would be reversed if a shitload of black and brown people start open carrying without a license.  

Anybody you see bragging about this legislation, point out to them that it means poor people, including a lot of minorities, will now be able to open carry.  See what their reaction is.  If they are enthusiastic, then they are true 2A fans.  If they start backing off, then they are possibly racist.

guitar.jpg.50b9939f75b5e80ab6f4723aa7e5977e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"Miss Stefanik  Vee haf looked at zee dokumentation and declared you impure."

Really seems like you can fuck over all these pieces of shit by pointing out lack of purity. Boobert or MTQ will be the next HRC chair

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I will be shocked if this doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Excellent thread on the Liz Cheney situation and what it portends for the trajectory of the GQP.

And makes the case for why 1/6 was just the beginning.

I agree with everything he said except that dotard is trying to come back into power.  I am not convinced at all that he wants to be president again.

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Dollars to donuts that the majority of those purchases were by Hawley's campaign. Taking a page out of the Ted Cruz playbook. 

That's exactly what happened and is one of the biggest GQP grifts. Use campaign funds to buy the books to give to donors is just laundering campaign cash to the candidate through the publisher.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I agree with everything he said except that dotard is trying to come back into power.  I am not convinced at all that he wants to be president again.

I'm starting to tentatively root for it.  I think he can't win but with him off the ballot I think we are in a real threat of backsliding based on lack of voter enthusiasm.  

32 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I'm starting to tentatively root for it.  I think he can't win but with him off the ballot I think we are in a real threat of backsliding based on lack of voter enthusiasm.  

Meaning Dems won’t turn out?