The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

And if we’re relying on Liz Fucking Cheney to be the heart of some new Conservative party then we’re completely fucked.

She voted with Trump more than almost any other representative. Her politics are abhorrent.

We’ll end up with two fascist authoritarian parties, it’s just that one of them will know which fork to use at a fancy dinner.

Fuck Liz Cheney.

The issue with Trump and Trumpism aren’t the policies. They don’t have policies except for tax cuts for the rich and to stop progress. The issue with Trumpism are the lies and misinformation, the fear-based identity politics and white nationalism, the disdain for the rule of law, the fascist/authoritarian tendencies, and the disregard for the constitution.

Cheney wants to cut taxes on the rich, block health care reform, and all that small government jazz. Cheney isn’t someone I would vote for but she isn’t a fascist/authoritarian who would lock up her political enemies if she could.

Cheney and Trump are worlds apart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Depending on how House delegations look in the next 2 elections, Cheney, if she can keep her seat, could be the difference between 24 and 26 R house delegations picking the R to win by successfully throwing out enough certifications in 2024 to throw it to the House 

54 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I have received one week Twitter timeouts due to “wishing violence on others” for statements much less than that   

And it looks like he got a timeout as well. Good job Twitter 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

hadn't read this thread in a few days, had 10+ pages to catch up on...and i literally feel weighted down and terribly depressed now 😒 what started as some 🙄 and 😄 has turned into...despair i guess. 

we were already planning our move out of TX, the total ridiculousness and corruption of the TX gop - and their apparent continued dominance across this state - has finally pushed us to leave our home. the insanity of the current session just reinforced our decision. 

oh, but then...CO has the same crazies. they just aren't fully in charge yet... but they're working on it!

i'm just so...disappointed in my fellow Americans. this shouldn't be who we are...but it is. and it's fucking gross and incredibly sad.

so...CO may be but a brief reprieve before the insanity takes over there as well. 

our friends pulled the trigger on being ex-pats in Mexico and are loving life, not even thinking about this shit. guess i CAN get used to putting my toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet. sigh. 😕💔

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i'm just so...disappointed in my fellow Americans. this shouldn't be who we are...but it is. and it's fucking gross and incredibly sad.

This is the first step in fixing shit though.  We have to realize how many of us are complete fuck heads and work to make sure their nonsense ideas and hate don't gain or retain power.  The 'Merica crowd needs to be crushed.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I agree with the previous posts and the point is he doesn’t want to be president. He will run. He doesn’t want to win. It’s all a grift. 

I think he desperately wants to win. But only because he hates being seen as the loser he is - not because he actually wants to be POTUS again. 

He does, but it's interesting that Don Jr has been making a lot of noise compared to Ivanka. She went quiet for the most part, and then resurfaced for two tweets--one for each of her vaccine doses. I am pretty sure she is staying out of the limelight intentionally to let some of the dust settle from the internecine battle within the GOP.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He does, but it's interesting that Don Jr has been making a lot of noise compared to Ivanka. She went quiet for the most part, and then resurfaced for two tweets--one for each of her vaccine doses. I am pretty sure she is staying out of the limelight intentionally to let some of the dust settle from the internecine battle within the GOP.

Perhaps she is trying to play the “I’m not insane like my dad and brothers” card to try and win over GQP voters when she runs in 2024. That’s the play I would run in her position. 

34 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Perhaps she is trying to play the “I’m not insane like my dad and brothers” card to try and win over GQP voters when she runs in 2024. That’s the play I would run in her position. 

You would lose.  Badly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Those puppies want out. She's got em caged in a temporary prison like they just snuck across the border, but those buttons can't hang on forever. 

Edited by Blotto

In another study, published last month in Nature, a team of psychologists tracked thousands of users interacting with false information. Republican test subjects who were shown a false headline about migrants trying to enter the United States (“Over 500 ‘Migrant Caravaners’ Arrested With Suicide Vests”) mostly identified it as false; only 16 percent called it accurate. But if the experimenters instead asked the subjects to decide whether to share the headline, 51 percent said they would.

From a pretty good NYT column about mis/disinformation. 

I bet the percentage of Republicans who'd share it on social media is closer to 70%, although only 51% admitted they would. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

So the Republican Party is going to replace Cheney with Elise Stefanik in a leadership role.  If you don’t know Stefanik, she is the whiny bitch who has backed Trump on anything and everything.  Yeah, the party is definitely moving in the right direction.  How long until Jim Jordan is the Speaker of the House because McCarthy is too rational?  They are a complete joke of a party but sadly have enough dumb people in this country to exploit.  I hope that dumb redneck in Alabama living in a double wide that votes Republican gets to take advantage of all those tax cuts for the wealthy before he has to eat sawdust sandwiches because its all he can afford.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/liz-cheney-republican-leadership-elise-stefanik-kevin-mccarthy/

18 hours ago, mchookem said:

hadn't read this thread in a few days, had 10+ pages to catch up on...and i literally feel weighted down and terribly depressed now 😒 what started as some 🙄 and 😄 has turned into...despair i guess. 

we were already planning our move out of TX, the total ridiculousness and corruption of the TX gop - and their apparent continued dominance across this state - has finally pushed us to leave our home. the insanity of the current session just reinforced our decision. 

oh, but then...CO has the same crazies. they just aren't fully in charge yet... but they're working on it!

so...CO may be but a brief reprieve before the insanity takes over there as well. 

our friends pulled the trigger on being ex-pats in Mexico and are loving life, not even thinking about this shit. guess i CAN get used to putting my toilet paper in the trash instead of the toilet. sigh. 😕💔

I'm leaving Austin and Texas for CO, too. This just isn't the Austin I came for 30 years ago, and Texas GOP crazies on full display doesn't help. I am also embarrassed by the recent (well, for awhile now) actions of our state, both politically and falling on it's face in the snowpocalypse. 

For what it's worth I'm going to work in cybersecurity for national critical infrastructure. This last year and weekend shows just how vulnerable we are. 

I feel a little guilty leaving Texas to the shitheels, but I will still bleed burnt orange.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So the Republican Party is going to replace Cheney with Elise Stefanik in a leadership role.  If you don’t know Stefanik, she is the whiny bitch who has backed Trump on anything and everything.  Yeah, the party is definitely moving in the right direction.  How long until Jim Jordan is the Speaker of the House because McCarthy is too rational?  They are a complete joke of a party but sadly have enough dumb people in this country to exploit.  I hope that dumb redneck in Alabama living in a double wide that votes Republican gets to take advantage of all those tax cuts for the wealthy before he has to eat sawdust sandwiches because its all he can afford.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/liz-cheney-republican-leadership-elise-stefanik-kevin-mccarthy/

Always remember that she voted against trump’s signature (and singular) domestic legislation - the tax cuts 

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I liked Elie Mystal's take. Seems about right.

Stefanik seized the moment during the first impeachment inquiry. She had to elbow some of her cohorts to make space and since Jim Jordan doesn't wear a coat, he elbowed back to preserve his spot, but she put in some work in getting other women (nationwide) to run and take office. Your point about Jim Jordan is likely accurate and those two would team up to do that in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Always remember that she voted against trump’s signature (and singular) domestic legislation - the tax cuts 

She did. Weren't there a handful of Republicans that did so?

If the vote were/is anonymous, do you think Cheney would retain position?

1 minute ago, bluto said:

He essentially had no where to go BUT up from 2016 in those categories right?

i have a hypothesis that Ds were betting the racism, sexism, etc would compel women and minorities to vote D. 2020 election showed that many people just ignored that and didn't drive behavior voters to pull the lever for D. 

i have a hypothesis that Ds were betting the racism, sexism, etc would compel women and minorities to vote D. 2020 election showed that many people just ignored that and didn't drive behavior voters to pull the lever for D. 

Except for the fact it did drive away a shit ton of his 16 base to pull the lever for D for president.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LABEVO said:

narrative violation.

I believe there is some truth that Trump improved his voting share with some demographics. But this guy jumps to the conclusion that they were most swayed by Trump's style of governing. Whether his conclusion or not is correct is anyone's guess.

32 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Bwwwwwaaaahahahah. "Personal responsibility" and people who upon January 6th went to DC to "decide their destiny" are sitting in jail right now and they would like for you to answer their call, Mr. Kevin McCarthy of the Seditious McCarthys. Perhaps you and your cohorts would care to join them since you do not wish to relitigate the past? Would save everyone a lot of time and money if you'd just all resign.

Looks like they are making the purge, though. How sad. Cheney is no angel and she will have nothing but trouble the rest of her days, but she made a better choice. Better to leave the cult late than never at all at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

This woman has more clout within the Utah GOP than Mitt does now.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/new-utah-gop-leader-attended-capitol-insurrection-report-says

The newly-elected Utah GOP party secretary attended the U.S. Capitol insurrection in January, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.

Olivia Horlacher was elected during the state's GOP convention earlier this month. The convention made nationwide headlines after Sen. Mitt Romney (R) was booed loudly while appearing on stage.

In a social media post on Jan. 8, two days after the deadly Capitol riots, Horlacher shared photos and video of her at a rally in Washington, D.C. where former President Trump spoke to a large crowd of his supporters. Horlacher also shared photos of her among the crowd outside the U.S. Capitol building.

There is no indication Horlacher entered the Capitol with hundreds of others who destroyed property while attempting to disrupt the counting of Electoral College votes that officially declared Joe Biden the winner of the 2020 presidential election.

In one Facebook video, Horlacher said the Trump supporters she was with in Washington were pushing for "fair, honest and transparent elections" and were "law-abiding people."

Been getting a decent amount of calls lately from parents whose kids who are black, brown or Asian who are being harassed by white high school and middle school students in the rural counties of central Texas. Racial slurs, punched in the face, fights, etc. I’m considering trying to help but suing school districts over the dumbshit things kids do to each other is not gonna really do all that much. 

This is all on the parents. Gee I wonder why this is happening all of a sudden? 

• Rage+1 4

I really am a person who lives by the belief of the worth of all persons and that grace abounds for everyone. But I am so fucking tired of everyone continuing to suck off this orange faced dick, and perpetuate nothing but lies. I really wish they would just all die. They have zero redeeming qualities. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, Brisketexan said:

The uncomfortable truth is that with the curtain pulled back, we’re realizing that there really isn’t much defensible “conservative” ideology, either. Much of it was and is a proxy for white supremacy. Others are just shitty and counterproductive economic policy (“trickle down” is a lie, etc). There are tiny islands of defensible ideas, but not enough to stitch together into a defensible political movement. We’re in dangerous waters.

Yeah.  I think there's room for a legit conservative party, but there isn't anyone articulating any conservative policy right now, except the Democratic centrists.  

I mean, hell, at least "trickle down" was an articulable and theoretically defensible position.  It proved to be wrong, but at least it was part of an ethos.

• Hook 'Em 4