The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Well he's not wrong.....

Still slinging policy smack when there’s existential shit going on, huh. 

to analogize, Cheney and other Rs are like the ussr in ww2. Initially partners with germany, they then became incentivized to change sides. And the allies embraced them as necessary to win the overall war. 

Two salient tweets by Ruth Ben-Ghiat (of whom I am a fan):

and one by Sarah Kendzior (of whom I am also a fan)

A large enough number of Americans voted for and support autocratic authoritarianism. They have been encapsulated in a bubble of lies, misinformation, and misdirection. They have become inured to death, discrimination, and corruption.

For now, they are still outnumbered and it is up to the rest of America to take action and man the guardrails of democracy. Even if it means for some strange compatriots such as Cheney, it's going to take a lot, but putting hope to action is how mountains are moved. Grab a shovel!

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm shocked McCarthy didn't burst into flames after daring to set foot in the same room as Biden. 

The party that decries the Left and social media for Cancel Culture certainly seems hell bent on cancelling anyone, be they a person or corporation, that dares to not bow down before their God King. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Still slinging policy smack when there’s existential shit going on, huh. 

to analogize, Cheney and other Rs are like the ussr in ww2. Initially partners with germany, they then became incentivized to change sides. And the allies embraced them as necessary to win the overall war. 

The analogy works on so many levels. image.thumb.jpeg.6a42b9d7009a6767a39c44e662cde755.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's that pesky little bipartisan investigation into January 6th that Kevin is so anxious we look past. The one that has stalled out but an agreement may come this week. Of course the GQP wants it to also include investigations into BLM protests, which is rather interesting since they loudly and vociferously object to earmarks (apparently) and that is an epic earmark of a distraction right there.

So what does the 2024 Republican primary look like if Trump runs? On one hand, fealty to Trump is the be-all, end-all for Republicans. On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of them, including potential presidential candidates, who only carry that water in pursuit of their own raw ambition (Ted Cruz, looking at you). Do they dare criticize Trump in the primary?

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

So what does the 2024 Republican primary look like if Trump runs? On one hand, fealty to Trump is the be-all, end-all for Republicans. On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of them, including potential presidential candidates, who only carry that water in pursuit of their own raw ambition (Ted Cruz, looking at you). Do they dare criticize Trump in the primary?

No. If he actually runs nobody will run against him (except for some doomed vanity never-Trump campaign that gets 0.5% of the vote). 

Yep. Any other conclusion is misreading the situation entirely.
Republicans have enough statehouses and judges at the moment that there is room to be nervous, but ultimately, this is likely to be nothing more than them collectively peeing into their own coffee urns. I'm pretty sure that 3rd party is going to launch, and the end result of it is going to be the Trump-led GOP being stuck with a half dozen governorships and state houses, and a blue... wave isn't the right word. More like seeping, ooze everywhere else. Not progressive Democrats, just... non-Republicans everywhere other than Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma and a scattering of other crazy places.

Dems are too busy sucking each other’s dicks in celebration of the demise of the GOP to realize that with their last gasp, the GOP is gonna permanently take every branch of government through voter suppression, election “monitoring” and “certification”, etc. once they get it, they ain’t giving it back. Ever.
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 5

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

He's not going to "run."  He's going to show up to the convention and say, "Yeah, I'll do it" and everyone will piss all over themselves with excitement and Cruz and Hawley will stand there quietly holding their own dicks. 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

He's not going to "run."  He's going to show up to the convention and say, "Yeah, I'll do it" and everyone will piss all over themselves with excitement and Cruz and Hawley will stand there quietly holding their own  each others dicks. 

fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's a good thing I'm not an elected rep. I would've Sumnered the fuck out of him immediately. 

Shit, I should've added that I'd repeatedly scream "this is just like a normal tourist visit!" the whole time. 

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Dems are too busy sucking each other’s dicks in celebration of the demise of the GOP to realize that with their last gasp, the GOP is gonna permanently take every branch of government through voter suppression, election “monitoring” and “certification”, etc. once they get it, they ain’t giving it back. Ever.

Oh, that's their plan, no question.

It'll work about as well as any of their other plans.

FrailCreepyCardinal-max-1mb.gif

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Rep for this. Which thread was it that talked about the continued polling suppression by the GQP leaders, was it this one? That is not a good sign. It's falsehood upon falsehood to build up an alternative reality even for their own shared party members within the org. That breeds desperation, and desperation among our 'leaders'/elected officials is what leads to atrocities. Not thrilled with the direction this has been heading for quite some time, and the rapid escalation leading into next year is "YIKES" territory.

Liz and Mitt were some of the holdouts, but shit was already getting real and now they are going to feel energized. The Democratic Party would do well to sap the hope right out of them.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Fuck it.  If you continue to support the GQP, you are anti-democracy and anti-American.  It is past time to draw that fucking line.

Um, this was apparent a LONG time ago.   Today is just another Wednesday.  

• Rage+1 1

Guest Lobo

^
Though backwards (Right shoulder to left hip instead of the opposite), the Iron Cross 2nd Class ribbon on Rep. Clyde's uniform was an appropriate touch. 

The reaction of most conservatives to the Trump inspired insurrection is simply not to be believed. These people simply cannot handle the truth and their sojourn into a cauldron of crazy is a real threat to our democratic way of life.

21 hours ago, Pancho said:

Just listened to a segment on Deadline Whitehouse where they are saying radical Republicans are now starting to infiltrate school boards across the country with hopes of opening schools and getting rid of any curriculum/classes/teachers who talk about race, racial injustice, or social justice for minorities. 

This really really weird, odd, baffling, and completely incorrect idea by radical Republicans that racism just either a.) doesn't exist anymore or b.) will go away if you stop talking about it just confirms their stupidity and wish to hold on to white supremacy. 

The weird part about them being up in arms over Critical Race Theory is the theory does take into account White people since White is a race.  

Yeah.  I posted about it happening in my town last week.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/4800-the-gqp-trumpist-death-cult/page/236/&tab=comments#comment-3264554

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

If Trump runs, nobody will run against him. It would be useless, and for people like Cruz, it would damage them beyond the point of future political aspirations.

I would expect a third party of "conservatives" to possibly take away a single-digit percentage of votes. Whether that's them latching onto an existing party like the Constitutional Party or what, I don't know.

But Trump is lazy as fuck.  He can run his PACs, collect hundreds of millions of dollars, be a kingmaker and anoint a Presidential candidate who will give him pardons, all without leaving Mar-a-Lago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Seriously, imagine being able to hand-select the next Presidential nominee of a major political party, destroy several prominent elected officials' lives in the meantime, collect possibly $100mm+ in nearly untraceable donation dollars, exact revenge on many of your enemies, grift a library fund, and hide from your creditors and legal issues all from a resort business center with shitty wi-fi and fax machine perpetual paper-jam.  Plus, they bring you lunch in there if you ask nicely.  

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I personally don't think he runs. I think he has less "power" as the President and more power being able to see to it who he wants gets elected. He's going to try and get someone in there who will pardon him on day 1.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I personally don't think he runs. I think he has less "power" as the President and more power being able to see to it who he wants gets elected. He's going to try and get someone in there who will pardon him on day 1.

It's a lot less interesting if he doesn't run. It will just be a contest to see who can grovel the lowest before him in that case.

I'm not ready to believe that everyone else will stand down if he runs. Guys like Cruz and De Santis don't actually give two shits about Donald Trump, they just want power. They're gonna sit around for 4 more years just to run against Don Jr in 2028? I don't buy it. If they see an opening, they'll take it.

And of course, by "interesting", I mean after you set aside the existential horror of all this.

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm not ready to believe that everyone else will stand down if he runs. Guys like Cruz and De Santis don't actually give two shits about Donald Trump, they just want power. They're gonna sit around for 4 more years just to run against Don Jr in 2028? I don't buy it. If they see an opening, they'll take it.

If he's still alive, there won't be an opening. I still don't believe there's much chance he'll still be alive in 2024, though. If he doesn't stroke out owing to being a fat tub of goo, he may come down with the radioactive Russian flu. You've got to believe at some point, Putin won't see any more use in his asset, and will terminate it.

39 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Seriously, imagine being able to hand-select the next Presidential nominee of a major political party, destroy several prominent elected officials' lives in the meantime, collect possibly $100mm+ in nearly untraceable donation dollars, exact revenge on many of your enemies, grift a library fund, and hide from your creditors and legal issues all from a resort business center with shitty wi-fi and fax machine perpetual paper-jam.  Plus, they bring you lunch in there if you ask nicely.  

When given two options, with similar financial outcomes, he'll always pick the laziest.

Hanging in Mar-a-Lago and raking in PAC money is the laziest, and he still gets a similar outcome - a Presidential candidate who will protect him if they win.

Plus, I don't think his ego wants to run the risk of losing again. If his hand-picked candidate loses, he can throw said candidate under the bus.  If Trump actually ran and lost, that would be two elections in a row that he lost, and that Republicans didn't regain one or both chambers.  He knows people might start seeing behind the curtain and questioning his viability, no matter how loud he brays about it being stolen.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The only thing he liked as much as grifting and golfing at his “resort” on our dime were the rallies. 

That fat tub of shit is running. No doubt about it. 

Trump is living the life.

Doesn't have to work, can golf, have whoever he wants kiss his ring, have millions of ignorant followers believe his every word and false lies/conspiracy theories, and, send him millions of dollars on top of it. Why would he want to be President again? But, at some point, he's going to have to say yes or no to running again. Which means he would actually have to do something. I see now how Hitler was able to control and manipulate a large group of believers into doing what he wanted, no matter how evil, and them not feel guilty about it.

Fear. These so called Christians have lost their souls. History and made for TV movies will not be kind.