The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, you are another one that has completely irrational hate for the Bushes.  It makes me take everything you think about them with a massive grain of salt.  

What is the proper rational hate for the Bushes?

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Missouri and Mississippi have each just invalidated results from voter referenda, via Governor/R leg and judiciary, respectively. Fascism 2  Democracy 0

guessing these are the trial balloons. I hope the right people are paying attention right now

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

So you're saying that if the GOP takes back the House and Senate, and a Democrat wins the White House and is sworn in, a GOP-led Congress will toss that Democrat out and appoint Trump as President?

Even though a Democrat wining the WH probably means the chances of the GOP winning back one or both chambers is slim.

waka flocka GIF

Brisket said it better than I can.

Georgia alone neutered the concept of a Secretary of State.  Pretty sure a few other states will do the same before the 2022 election.

When a state's GOP led house and senate can just unilaterally change the laws to suit their needs...when it comes time to certify the election for their state and Biden only wins by 120,000...what do you think they will do?

I want to believe that all this is just hyperbole.  I really, really do.  But nothing since November 3rd tells us that this was just an aberration; that these states with a GOP House, Senate and Governor are just going to sit back and say "boy, if we just had more voters!".  

They are going to have more GOP voters alright.  Their methodology isn't going to be pretty.

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Georgia alone neutered the concept of a Secretary of State.  Pretty sure a few other states will do the same before the 2022 election.

When a state's GOP led house and senate can just unilaterally change the laws to suit their needs...when it comes time to certify the election for their state and Biden only wins by 120,000...what do you think they will do?

I want to believe that all this is just hyperbole.  I really, really do.  But nothing since November 3rd tells us that this was just an aberration; that these states with a GOP House, Senate and Governor are just going to sit back and say "boy, if we just had more voters!".  

They are going to have more GOP voters alright.  Their methodology isn't going to be pretty.

County after county is all it takes and once one has rationalized due to the lies: the other 'team' does it, they aren't human, and on and on. I mean c'mon man, I wasn't alive when they were restricting minority votes in the more obvious ways like literacy tests, poll taxes, etc and felt no guilt whatsoever, so installing some Qrazy election officials that follow GQP instructions that invalidate votes is not hard to imagine at all.

I actually thought Chris Krebs did a nonpartisan good job with the election. And he got fired for it. That is what we're up against.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
It sounds like I don't agree with you, but I do. I am frustrated because it feels like a race against time.

24 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The most blatant wake-up calls before this last election cycle was when the highly gerrymandered and Republican-led legislatures of North Carolina and Wisconsin had a shit-fit a couple of years ago after the people chose a Dem governor, so they went out and tried to strip away the powers of their newly elected governors during the transition.

These people do not believe in democracy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

County after county is all it takes and once one has rationalized due to the lies: the other 'team' does it, they aren't human, and on and on. I mean c'mon man, I wasn't alive when they were restricting minority votes in the more obvious ways like literacy tests, poll taxes, etc and felt no guilt whatsoever, so installing some Qrazy election officials that follow GQP instructions that invalidate votes is not hard to imagine at all.

I actually thought Chris Krebs did a nonpartisan good job with the election. And he got fired for it. That is what we're up against.

I hope I (and others) are absolutely 100% incorrect about all this.

But damn, how can you possibly square the actions of various elected state GOP officials during their respective legislative sessions with "everything is going to be just fine and normal" in 2022 and 2024?  I sure the hell can't.

I mean, take a look at this in Georgia.  Don't like Fulton County election results?   Just have the newly formed State Election Board take over.

Page 11: The State Election Board may suspend county or municipal superintendents and appoint an individual to serve as the temporary superintendent in a jurisdiction. Such individual shall exercise all the powers and duties of a superintendent as provided by law, including the authority to make all personnel decisions related to any employees of the jurisdiction who assist with carrying out the duties of the superintendent, including, but not limited to, the director of elections, the election supervisor, and all poll officers. (g) At no time shall the State Election Board suspend more than four county or municipal superintendents pursuant to subsection (f) of this Code section.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  This is the end-game.  The GQP isn't looking to win elections.  They are looking to make them irrelevant.

Pay attention.  This is a fascist movement.  It is doing EXACTLY what fascist movements do.

yeah this is it. you can hope for some kind of event or person or leader to change this - but it doesn't matter when the society cannot communicate rationally with each other. with no rational channels open the same shit you see now will just continue. 

and past that. all existing channels - whether you like em or not - are just adding to the divide. 

anyway, maybe something something can change that.

made it to saturday and so can you peeps

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

This is why I try to stay out of the noise and try to look at things at a macro level. 

This is why all these voting restriction bills are running through state legislators at an amazing pace. The writing is on the wall for the GOP and they know it. This is also why I'm not as concerned about 2024 as many. Trump running again is not going to make these splits better. In fact, it will be a bigger beat down because the base continues to dwindle. I'm starting to believe Trump isn't going to run again and the GOP will try their best with DeSantis. 

This is so frustrating. If the majority of the country wants to move left, the government and its elected officials should move left.  Which means both parties drift left. 
I understand that’s inconvenient to the party on the right, but the correct answer isn’t to manipulate the laws so that the will of the people can’t be propagated. 

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is so frustrating. If the majority of the country wants to move left, the government and its elected officials should move left.  Which means both parties drift left. 
I understand that’s inconvenient to the party on the right, but the correct answer isn’t to manipulate the laws so that the will of the people can’t be propagated. 

It is if you have decided that your party should be a nationalist far right wing party that does not believe in democracy for all people, including some white people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It is if you have decided that your party should be a nationalist far right wing party that does not believe in democracy for all people, including some white people.

I could almost understand the idea of what they feel they need to do to remain relevant if they had proven to be a principled group ( guess I need to be clear that what they need to do is illegal and immoral).

But they are more malleable than aluminum foil on most issues so why not just move a little left and dare the far right folks to not stay in the party and watch the left and far left take over. 

In Oregon, the GOP/Multnomah County Republicans were holding an event and hired a Proud Boys group to provide security. This was not pre-January 6th, this was about a week ago. Although the precinct chair person who hired denied knowing the contact person and the group were PB, I am skeptical. The ties between 'muscle' and the GOP will become stronger in the months to come I believe. Both groups have come this far, and despite the arrests, etc plenty of them remain and remain committed to this cause.

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

The most blatant wake-up calls before this last election cycle was when the highly gerrymandered and Republican-led legislatures of North Carolina and Wisconsin had a shit-fit a couple of years ago after the people chose a Dem governor, so they went out and tried to strip away the powers of their newly elected governors during the transition.

These people do not believe in democracy.

Well, there's that and the voters of Florida passing a referendum allowing felons to vote that the Florida GOP kneecapped and the voters of Missouri passing a referendum on Medicaid expansion that was squashed by the Missouri GOP by withholding funding. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I could almost understand the idea of what they feel they need to do to remain relevant if they had proven to be a principled group ( guess I need to be clear that what they need to do is illegal and immoral).

But they are more malleable than aluminum foil on most issues so why not just move a little left and dare the far right folks to not stay in the party and watch the left and far left take over. 

Apologies, my post above was not in response to your subsequent post.

It's a good question. Why not pull the window back left a little. I suspect it's that there is not enough of them remaining after the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus winnowing? The ones that made it out of 2018 during the primaries (I think Ballotpedia had Freedom Caucus as +2 and regular R members as -2 in the House) lost more ground as over 20 GOP incumbents retired in the House. That doesn't mean that Freedom caucus Republicans won seats, but I would wager they were pretty loyal to Trump and the cause.

It's too much of a cult for them to capitulate now. Not much platform except for screaming, grievances, and the usual hot button grab voters issues that never get anywhere.

53 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Well, there's that and the voters of Florida passing a referendum allowing felons to vote that the Florida GOP kneecapped and the voters of Missouri passing a referendum on Medicaid expansion that was squashed by the Missouri GOP by withholding funding. 

Don't forget 73% of Mississippi approving medical marijuana and....

• Rage+1 1

and The Great Southern Pothead Uprising was born. our kids will read about it one day
I've been training for this my whole life. I'm normally a Indica before bed type of guy but an uprising will require me to dip into my Sativa strains I use when I want to clean the entire house or go for a run. Watch the fuck out y'all.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
and The Great Southern Pothead Uprising was born. our kids will read about it one day

I've been training for this my whole life. I'm normally a Indica before bed type of guy but an uprising will require me to dip into my Sativa strains I use when I want to clean the entire house or go for a run. Watch the fuck out y'all.

Why not a hybrid? Get all that uprising energy out and then go to bed? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Why is Lin Wood smiling?  He's got a room full of saps with money eating out of his hand.

That's all well and good Adam Kinzinger, but you are a little late and your voting record is pretty Trumpy. So, like Liz Cheney, what is your play here? Are you going to try and leave the Republican party and become a Democratic Party member? No? Well, how is that helping exactly when you may end up diluting the votes that kept our country from a fascist leader?

I believe Cheney and Kinzinger will do an about face if Pompeo or one of the other America First candidates runs instead of Trump. Kind of a play on Susan Collins and her furrowed brow of concern. It's not a certain belief, but I don't trust former members wholeheartedly. I'm going to need to see some evidence and a lot more effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That's all well and good Adam Kinzinger, but you are a little late and your voting record is pretty Trumpy. So, like Liz Cheney, what is your play here? Are you going to try and leave the Republican party and become a Democratic Party member? No? Well, how is that helping exactly when you may end up diluting the votes that kept our country from a fascist leader?

I believe Cheney and Kinzinger will do an about face if Pompeo or one of the other America First candidates runs instead of Trump. Kind of a play on Susan Collins and her furrowed brow of concern. It's not a certain belief, but I don't trust former members wholeheartedly. I'm going to need to see some evidence and a lot more effort.

Yep. Though if him and Liz want to start a third party, I’m all for it. Split that vote up and let the Dems cruise to victory. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep. Though if him and Liz want to start a third party, I’m all for it. Split that vote up and let the Dems cruise to victory. 

I am not convinced it would turn out that way. Down ballot, wouldn't that be where the GOPs grassroots cult candidates would really start to gain ground? That is not great because once someone is an incumbent, I think they are harder to dislodge aren't they?

Just have mixed views on how this would work. I know some of the data you and others have posted regarding numbers and the youth vote is promising. However, this is going to be a very suspense filled midterm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I find it odd when folks expect GOP reps who stand up against trump and his lies should also for some reason be voting with Nancy Pelosi.  Being for the constitution doesn't mean also have to be for raising taxes.  Folks shouldn't conflate policy with the rule-of-law.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Happy The Voice GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I find it odd when folks expect GOP reps who stand up against trump and his lies should also for some reason be voting with Nancy Pelosi.  Being for the constitution doesn't mean also have to be for raising taxes.  Folks shouldn't conflate policy with the rule-of-law.

Fair point. Perhaps my concern for whether this will fracture enough of both parties to give the far right legitimacy and a foothold for the future is clouding my vision.

• Hook 'Em 1