The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In Oregon, the GOP/Multnomah County Republicans were holding an event and hired a Proud Boys group to provide security. This was not pre-January 6th, this was about a week ago. Although the precinct chair person who hired denied knowing the contact person and the group were PB, I am skeptical. The ties between 'muscle' and the GOP will become stronger in the months to come I believe. Both groups have come this far, and despite the arrests, etc plenty of them remain and remain committed to this cause.

Yup

On 5/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, wildcat09 said:

I'd be a lot less worried if a lot more people were a little more worried.

Any military organization is a very conservative organization, by its nature. History tells us which side militaries usually side with during fascist coups. If/when our political system breaks down so completely that all conservatives reject the results of an election and attempt to violently seize power, there is no reason to be confident that institutions that are and have always been anti-liberal (whether that be the military or the courts) will stop them. 

Small-c conservative, not Conservative in the sense of fascist or necessarily even Republican. A military coup would be a drastic departure from 250 years of seriously hallowed American tradition and the Constitution every member of the military swears to uphold. As has been posted out, we are not in terrain similar to the Weimar Republic; the Q Nut cosplayers are not the seeds of a Brownshirt army; Trump is no Hitler or even a Mussolini; and the likes of Don Bonginellirino are not Goebbels caliber at whatever it is they do.

Trumpism IS the liberalism here, in that it was a departure from the old ways. I always found the idea that the military would do his beck and call preposterous and that has proven so. And I think we did see what amounted to a military counter-coup on January 6. Yes, it was slow in coming on the day but Trump (to a degree) and his hapless idiot minions (big timeZ) fucked around and found out where they stood with the Pentagon and the transitioning DOJ. For the first time in history, we saw the military sidestep the commander in chief and instead obey an order from the second-in-command, Mike Pence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am not convinced it would turn out that way. Down ballot, wouldn't that be where the GOPs grassroots cult candidates would really start to gain ground? That is not great because once someone is an incumbent, I think they are harder to dislodge aren't they?

Just have mixed views on how this would work. I know some of the data you and others have posted regarding numbers and the youth vote is promising. However, this is going to be a very suspense filled midterm.

This. Assumptions that a splintering of the Republican party will turn out well for Dems are misguided and dangerous.

Most of us rightly thought it was a bad idea when Justin Amash floated his third party run for president last summer. Luckily, he eventually figured it out too.

The surest way to defeat Team A is to join Team B, not to start Team C. People think this will divide the conservative vote into pro and anti-Trump. Instead, it will divide the anti-Trump votes into conservative and liberal.

The Dems need to make this upcoming election about issues and not another Trump referendum. They cannot link arms with the anti-Trumper Republicans. The Dems need to paint them as people who voted to repeal the ACA, voted against Biden's Covid stimulus and (likely) infrastructure, and whose failed policies set the stage for Trump's rise to power in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do not understand why Chris Wallace continues to accept employment from Fox News, and I don’t understand why Fox News continues to want him in their employ. 

He's their last gasp at the "balanced" label they apply to themselves.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's their last gasp at the "balanced" label they apply to themselves.

I’ll buy that from their side, but after the past 6 months I’d have expected Chris to quit over the entirety of the network policy and messaging. Unless he has some sort of hero complex that he’s bringing the only truth those viewers get.  But the people that watch Laura and Sean don’t watch Wallace. 

Am I the only one who can't stand the term "the big lie"? Like, he's just not being entirely truthful! Yeah, he told a billion lies over four years.

Maybe focus a little more on engineering a coup attempt, or almost having his VP killed because he refused to help install Trump as dictator. "The big lie" just seems small by comparison.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't mind Democrats using that term because "the big lie" led to people actively trying to stop the results of an election and invading the Capitol. What I don't like is the media using it because they shouldn't be running with talking points for either side. 

mdleast looks like Ricky Schroder so I always enjoying passing along Twitter or news stories and ask mdleast why he did this certain thing. It never gets old.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe "The Biggest Lie"...? Because, yeah, it's not like there's just one of them. I sometimes get the impression the reason he babbles so much is he's afraid if he stops speaking too soon, he runs the risk of having said something true.

Nice weather we're having... I won in a landslide!

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Typo.

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Am I the only one who can't stand the term "the big lie"? Like, he's just not being entirely truthful! Yeah, he told a billion lies over four years.

Maybe focus a little more on engineering a coup attempt, or almost having his VP killed because he refused to help install Trump as dictator. "The big lie" just seems small by comparison.

Maybe more comparisons to Goebbels but I’m not sure if that would reach anyone. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

I don't mind Democrats using that term because "the big lie" led to people actively trying to stop the results of an election and invading the Capitol. What I don't like is the media using it because they shouldn't be running with talking points for either side. 
mdleast looks like Ricky Schroder so I always enjoying passing along Twitter or news stories and ask mdleast why he did this certain thing. It never gets old.  

Guess I just don’t like boiling everything down to a quick catchphrase. You hear it repeated a billion times and it loses significance.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I find it odd when folks expect GOP reps who stand up against trump and his lies should also for some reason be voting with Nancy Pelosi.  Being for the constitution doesn't mean also have to be for raising taxes for the ultra-rich while fucking the working class on basic needs. Folks shouldn't conflate policy with the rule-of-law.

fify

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

ICYMI, it was not coined by the recent events. "The Big Lie" is an old phrase that came to being during the rise of the Third Reich and referred to the propaganda techniques used. Supposedly, although I've never looked it up, it was mentioned in Mein Kampf.

That being said, your point stands because it does tend to overwhelm the result (coup attempt) of the propaganda/big lie/amount of lies. However, a counterpoint to that might be that educating people as to the techniques and devices that are manipulating them or attempting to manipulate them would seem smart. We also have a goodly amount of the populace that is not smart nor are they interested in being educated because it might cause them discomfort.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

ICYMI, it was not coined by the recent events. "The Big Lie" is an old phrase that came to being during the rise of the Third Reich and referred to the propaganda techniques used. Supposedly, although I've never looked it up, it was mentioned in Mein Kampf.

That being said, your point stands because it does tend to overwhelm the result (coup attempt) of the propaganda/big lie/amount of lies. However, a counterpoint to that might be that educating people as to the techniques and devices that are manipulating them or attempting to manipulate them would seem smart. We also have a goodly amount of the populace that is not smart nor are they interested in being educated because it might cause them discomfort.

I still think both Dems and the media are too soft on these criminals. Every day should be a constant calling out of their lies. Instead, you have people maintaining this decorum. 

Call them liars, call them traitors, call them lunatics, because THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

When I was in eighth grade in Nashville, and just about to move back to Texas, there was a rumor lil' Ricky was going to enroll in our school -- in my grade. He had some film project in Nashville or something....This was 1984 and the girls were in a tizzy. As for the dudes, we were making solemn plans to beat his ass on general principles...In  the end he did not enroll in that school and I moved back to Texas, but looking back, I regret not kicking Ricky Schroeder's ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The reason the White Nationalist Party F/K/A the Republican Party is ok with voter oppression and killing democracy is because democracy was only supposed to be for WHITES. 

It’s ok to have black friends nowadays or let them eat in the same restaurant as you but voting power where THEY constitute a majority along with the OTHER minorities is entirely a bridge too far. 

They assaulted the capitol to prevent this from happening, freaked out over a black Muslim from Kenya becoming the “illegitimate” president and there is nothing they won’t do to prevent the perceived hordes from taking THEIR country.

They need to be stamped out immediately or they will destroy this country and it’s democracy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The reason the White Nationalist Party F/K/A the Republican Party is ok with voter oppression and killing democracy is because democracy was only supposed to be for WHITES. 

It’s ok to have black friends nowadays or let them eat in the same restaurant as you but voting power where THEY constitute a majority along with the OTHER minorities is entirely a bridge too far. 

They assaulted the capitol to prevent this from happening, freaked out over a black Muslim from Kenya becoming the “illegitimate” president and there is nothing they won’t do to prevent the perceived hordes from taking THEIR country.

They need to be stamped out immediately or they will destroy this country and it’s democracy. 

Again, the military is a major stumbling block to this "plan," if it can be called such. The military is probably the most integrated institution in this country, and if these white nationalists think it's just going to come in and back their scheme to reinstitute some kind of apartheid here, they've....well, let's just say they have not thought things through. Basically the only chance of success would have to include the military unraveling along racial lines, and that ain't happening any time soon.