The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good points from that Atlantic piece about evangelicals.  

1.  They’re easily politicized because they have no real core theology or it’s relatively hollow.  As a result, they just careen over the years from one cultural outrage to another.  Also allows them to conspiratorial nonsense.

2.  Brisket and others touched on it but like a third of pastors are considering quitting.  The reasons don’t surprise me but the percentage did.

3.  Pointed out that people leave churches all the time because of politics but almost no one changes their politics because of their church.

4.  The issue/problem makes a lot more sense if you look at it through a sociological  lens rather than a religious one.

I've posted this Chris Ladd article before, but I think it's worth posting again. 

Why White Evangelicalism Is So Cruel

Forbes removed the article from their site after only a day or so. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Probably could have started a new thread over this, but odds are this wouldn't be happening if Trump had not completely taken over the GOP and conservative thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/evangelical-trump-christians-politics/620469/

You could and should, and maybe have, I should check before posting.

This shit is happening at my wife's former church (Southern Baptist) here in Austin.  Ironically, I like the pastor - he's educated, well-traveled, rationale, respected among other pastors, and he even tried to caution people against doing stupid shit and making bad decisions and mixing worship of political figures with religion, and people bitched about all of that.

He's watching his church slowly fall apart - numerous long-time leaders have left over the last year either because they are fed up with a lot of the shit from the congregation, or because a very vocal chunk of the congregation is pro-MAGA/anti-vax and they are driving the other part of the congregation away, which is hurting the finances of the church and forcing them to cut salaries or lay off people.  When I say long-time leaders, these are people with a deep institutional knowledge of that church going back several decades, the people that keep everything going, that are there early in the morning turning on the lights and there late in the evening turning off the lights.  And none of it is helped by costs incurred by the winter storm and lowered revenue (yeah I called it revenue) from COVID attendance.  

I don't expect that church to be around within 5 years - it's on a prime piece of real estate, and *dad mode* I know the overhead is high - I've also seen the fundraising campaigns when finances got dicey.  It's Austin, there are plenty of Baptists who are not 100% deepthroating Trump/wanting to burn the gays, and they will, and are, going to other churches.  But being Baptists, my wife has had Sunday school sessions where 30-somethings and 40-somethings are shocked when somebody mentions that a gay couple moved in a few doors day, and they don't know how to handle that.  It's motherfucking Austin, and they are grown-ass adults, and can't figure out what to do when a gay couple moves into their neighborhood.  Gee, you wonder why church attendance is down.

Every week or two, we get an email or a phone call or a text message to reconsider coming back, and our response is the same - stop MAGAing up shit, stop the political bullshit in the Sunday schools, and make the children in the nurseries/Sunday schools mask up, because if our kids are going to be around a bunch of other kids from various parts of the Austin area, then everybody needs to mask the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, GopherRock said:

I've said this in this thread multiple times.

Donald Trump keeps giving Republicans the choice of splitting with him and his base and risking political defeat, or sticking with him and having a chance to win. They consistently choose the latter. @jonathanchait writes

risking defeat or stick with Trump and having a chance to win?

What the fuck happened with the GOP in 2018 and 2020?

Cracking Up Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

which one, the white one or the brown one?

Trick question, there ain't no brown Jesus -- Jesus was a white man who spoke English, just like it is in the bible!

Head+of+Christ.jpg

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So they can be run over? Because slorch said you can't ever block public roadways if you're protesting. 

OH, you almost got it right.  See, these fellas here, well, they're heroes, defending our 'murican way of life, so we should be thanking them!*

* Also, you know, see the "they're white" thing.  Black and brown folks do it, they're lawless thugs.  White folks do it, they're patriotic protesters.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Evangelicals aren't Christians, they're White Power cunts.  

Agree. It’s amazing what people will hide behind claiming it’s Christian. Or, speaking their version of Bible verses to support their beliefs in order to control. Jesus said to love one another, take care of one another. Most of what these people proclaim and spew don’t follow the teachings of Jesus. Their twisted. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trick question, there ain't no brown Jesus -- Jesus was a white man who spoke English, just like it is in the bible!

Head+of+Christ.jpg

My parents had this painting in their bedroom when I was a kid.

Why yes, they were Southern Baptist, how did you know?

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hyde Park Baptist by any chance? Google Street View tells me they achieved their dream of bulldozing everything.

That place sucks so bad.  I went with a friend in high school and came out utterly disgusted.  The sermon told this awful story about how there was a man drowning in quicksand and all the other religious prophets just walked by him and only Jesus helped him out.  Fuck you baptists.

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Agree. It’s amazing what people will hide behind claiming it’s Christian. Or, speaking their version of Bible verses to support their beliefs in order to control. Jesus said to love one another, take care of one another. Most of what these people proclaim and spew don’t follow the teachings of Jesus. Their twisted. 

They’re 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That place sucks so bad.  I went with a friend in high school and came out utterly disgusted.  The sermon told this awful story about how there was a man drowning in quicksand and all the other religious prophets just walked by him and only Jesus helped him out.  Fuck you baptists.

Dude, that's an awesome story, especially the part where later, Jesus skins a cobra with his buck knife and makes a belt out of it right there.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've posted this Chris Ladd article before, but I think it's worth posting again. 

Why White Evangelicalism Is So Cruel

Forbes removed the article from their site after only a day or so. 

The standout line:

Many Christian movements take the title “evangelical,” including many African-American denominations. However, evangelicalism today has been coopted as a preferred description for Christians who were looking to shed an older, largely discredited title: Fundamentalist.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've posted before about this QAnon girl I know who lives in California. She's 45. We were having our monthly discussion on the vaccines and the state of the world, and she told me that she spends a lot of time crying.

Which is not surprising, but I hadn't really thought of it before. I hadn't considered what it must be like to:

1. Actually believe that Trump actually won all 50 states, including California, but because of voter fraud the Communist Joe Biden is President.

2. Actually believe that Satan-worshiping pedophiles are in charge of our country.

3. Actually believe that the vaccine is designed to kill people.

4. Actually believe that Covid is fake and hospitals are killing people.

5. Actually believe that Donald Trump is some kind of successful businessman.

When you think about it, it's quite sad. She's trapped in her own head.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

57 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

All this video does is allow him to "back up" his argument, without challenging it...not seeing any "gotcha" in that.   Quite the opposite, actually. 

The Gotcha is that he previously said the memo wasn't serious and that "anyone that believed it was a viable strategy is crazy" to the National Review. And here he is on camera saying, yeah, it was serious and he meant it.  That is the "gotcha".

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I've posted before about this QAnon girl I know who lives in California. She's 45. We were having our monthly discussion on the vaccines and the state of the world, and she told me that she spends a lot of time crying.

Which is not surprising, but I hadn't really thought of it before. I hadn't considered what it must be like to:

1. Actually believe that Trump actually won all 50 states, including California, but because of voter fraud the Communist Joe Biden is President.

2. Actually believe that Satan-worshiping pedophiles are in charge of our country.

The Matrix has her. 

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The Gotcha is that he previously said the memo wasn't serious and that "anyone that believed it was a viable strategy is crazy" to the National Review. And here he is on camera saying, yeah, it was serious and he meant it.  That is the "gotcha".

Yeah it needed more context but he changed his tune quite quick on if the memo was serious and the actual strategy. But ESTABLISHMENT PUSSY PENCE didn’t follow it 

11 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Sounds like my Qanon in-law.  She has too much time on her hands, she feels like she's not in control of her life, and she has filled her life with this shit, because it validates her fears about the world at large.  She also refuses to take control of her life.

I have yet to encounter a Qanon type who is not mentally ill.  I don't just mean in the "holy shit she believes that Satan-worshipping pedophiles are running the government and trafficking children for the juice from their adrenalcoholinewhateverthefuck glands", because those types have always been around - Art Bell and even Alex Jones in his early years, have made a nice living off of them.

I mean more in the "being surrounded by actual shit going down (COVID) that is harming people they know and deciding they are going to just ignore it" manner.  That is the worrisome shit to me. 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Found out this week that a department manager at my work is a Q person. A little unnerving.

Which department?  Housewares?  Sporting Goods?  Women's unmentionables?  

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

I cry a lot when I realize all too many people actually believe all that.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:19 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

" The Christian Post, an online evangelical newspaper, published an op-ed by one of its contributors criticizing religious conservatives like Platt, Russell Moore, Beth Moore, and Ed Stetzer, the executive director of the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center, as “progressive Christian figures” who “commonly champion leftist ideology.”

Yeah! "Leftist Christian Ideology"  like that "love they neighbor" crap and that "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me"  bullshit!  Who came up with that Marxist shit is no Christian!

21 hours ago, Brandywine said:

This.  For many "Christians" they don't actually believe in much of the underlying tenets.  Only those that can conveniently support their agenda (see prosperity gospel).  Amazon has  good documentary on Christianity titled Marketing the Messiah.  Illustrates how it's always been a malleable religion from day one, with the winners writing the history.   Worth the hour and a half.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Does anybody know the answer?

If a few of them kill some people, and then either are gunned by cops or end up in a general prison population, they'll chill out really fucking quick.

Because as a group, they can't seem to handle going to jail/prison.  Because snowflakes.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:17 PM, mchookem said:

he's a fascinating case. playing Jesus broke his brain, he hasn't been the same since.

I think his brain was already malfunctioning.  Gibson picked him for a reason.  And in that department, Mel Gibson knows what he's doing.

• Haha 1