The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wake me when they get any current officeholders to join their party.

It does worry me, however, that they could split the Democratic Party more than they split the GQP.

Also, it will die on the vine just like other 3rd party efforts in modern history. Instead, they should encourage Trumpists to form the Patriot party they were threatening so that it can be the one to die out in less than a decade like the Reform party. 

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So it begins.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-party-exclusive/exclusive-dozens-of-former-republican-officials-in-talks-to-form-anti-trump-third-party-idUSKBN2AB07P

Reveal hidden contents

Among the call participants were John Mitnick, general counsel for the Department of Homeland Security under Trump; former Republican congressman Charlie Dent; Elizabeth Neumann, deputy chief of staff in the Homeland Security Department under Trump; and Miles Taylor, another former Trump homeland security official.

The talks highlight the wide intraparty rift over Trump’s false claims of election fraud and the deadly Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol. Most Republicans remain fiercely loyal to the former president, but others seek a new direction for the party.

The House of Representatives impeached Trump on Jan. 13 on a charge of inciting an insurrection by exhorting thousands of supporters to march on the Capitol on the day Congress was gathered to certify Democrat Joe Biden’s election victory.

Call participants said they were particularly dismayed by the fact that more than half of the Republicans in Congress - eight senators and 139 House representatives - voted to block certification of Biden’s election victory just hours after the Capitol siege.

Most Republican senators have also indicated they will not support the conviction of Trump in this week’s Senate impeachment trial.

“Large portions of the Republican Party are radicalizing and threatening American democracy,” McMullin told Reuters. “The party needs to recommit to truth, reason and founding ideals or there clearly needs to be something new.”

‘THESE LOSERS’

Asked about the discussions for a third party, Jason Miller, a Trump spokesman, said: “These losers left the Republican Party when they voted for Joe Biden.”

A representative for the Republican National Committee referred to a recent statement from Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel.

“If we continue to attack each other and focus on attacking on fellow Republicans, if we have disagreements within our party, then we are losing sight of 2022 (elections),” McDaniel said on Fox News last month.

“The only way we’re going to win is if we come together,” she said.

The Biden White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

McMullin said just over 40% of those on last week’s Zoom call backed the idea of a breakaway, national third party. Another option under discussion is to form a “faction” that would operate either inside the current Republican Party or outside it.

Names under consideration for a new party include the Integrity Party and the Center Right Party. If it is decided instead to form a faction, one name under discussion is the Center Right Republicans.

Members are aware that the U.S. political landscape is littered with the remains of previous failed attempts at national third parties.

“But there is a far greater hunger for a new political party out there than I have ever experienced in my lifetime,” one participant said.

I'll believe it when I see it.

But in case it does, I'd be down for a membership or two.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's where the cheating comes in.

There’s an inherent tension in the strategy the GOP has chosen, and it’s a poison pill for them, even before Trump. They have chosen to draw themselves districts that are unloseable, doubled down on voter suppression tactics, and abandon efforts to even try to appeal to most of the country and instead deal in the cold statistics of the Electoral College and micro-target the dying hungry valleys that are “toss-ups.”

You can cheat the system for a while, but the contradictions of an allegedly representative form of government that isn’t representative at all will overwhelm them. And it will end- either ugly or peacefully- poorly for them because they can no longer imagine trying to present popular policies that benefit most people, or even trying to pretend like that’s what they are doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

There are only two options:

1) Trump and Trumpists take it over (just like the "Tea Party" movement was immediately coopted and turned into a pre-Trump party)

2) or.....the whole effort is brutally slaughtered in its infancy by Darth Trump.

1) Trump and Trumpist despise those people looking at splitting off, and will not let them back into the GOP, unlike the Tea Partiers who were coopted and welcomed back into the tent.

2) He can try, but that just reinforces his batshittery and the crazies, and given that he flipped Arizona and Georgia to blue, what other states will flip to blue in the next round?

7 hours ago, horn4life said:

I am trying to figure out where the Republicans think they are going to be in the next election cycle?  Assuming they once again simply disregard all the facts in front of them and acquit based on (R) rather than facts.  Which of course is the most likely scenario.  I guess that means that most of the sitting senators will not be primaried by the Trump/Q controlling wing of the party.  The moderates will be purged at the primary/ not running again level for the midterms and they party drifts sideways, not regaining control of the House and losing a few more seats in the Senate.

They are all just trying to survive until the next election cycle, with a few (such as Cheney) saying "fuck it" and/or perhaps thinking they will come out on top if/when the Trumpists are driven out of power.  Kevin McCarthy is trying to placate both sides of the party, with little success.

I think they will probably drive the moderates out of power in the 2022 primaries, which could help the Dems, since it's easier to run against batshittery - a party of MGTs and the Colorado Nut will not be successful on a larger scale.

On the other hand, if Donnie Trump Jr. isn't able to drive Cheny out of office, and given that daddy not only lost back in November, but cost the GOP Arizona and Georgia's Senate seats, and cost the GOP the House in 2018, you could see the moderates exert themselves in a more confident/louder manner.  Then again, the moderates are facing off against Trumpists within the party, and moderates who are leaving the party or voting D, so moderate Republicans will potentially be an even smaller number.

Because they announce what they’re going to do ahead of time, when they say they’re going to take the House in 2022, I’m going to believe them. They will not have the Death Star, which is probably too bad because that was kind of funny, but every single one of those villains is walking around free right now and getting up to who knows what. 
We still don’t know who the private investors are at ES&S voting machines and Dominion is going to have a shadow over it if it even recovers from the smear. 
I’m not very optimistic at this point, however, seeing the reports that quite a few people changed their party registration was a little encouraging. 

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They lost the House without Trump on the ticket.

They lost the White House and Senate when Trump was on the ticket.

Barely in all places AND I have zero faith in most Americans. I’m afraid they think Dotard was the only issue and now they can go back to voting R and/or trying to have a split party government because that’s how they’ve always thought it runs most efficiently. Unfortunately that’s just fucking WRONG now that Rs have completely stopped caring about governing. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
Clarity

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They lost the House without Trump on the ticket.

They lost the White House and Senate when Trump was on the ticket.

yes, and now they’re much angrier and all in on cheating. And also below. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Barely in all places AND I have zero faith that most Americans think Dotard was the only issue and now they can go back to voting R and/or trying to have a split party government because that’s how they’ve always thought it runs most efficiently. Unfortunately that’s just fucking WRONG now that Rs have completely stopped caring about governing.

They are also counting on being able to radicalize a portion of the youth; having various police and other groups with radicalized members among their ranks, combined with the push within higher education (TPUSA, America First,etc) they may foment chaos enough that voters respond to the fear of violence.
I agree it is a numbers game, and a portion of their base is dying and a portion of their base left hasn't got the numbers, but they are going to push extremism as far as it gets them because once they have control, nothing else matters. They have the power of the three branches and the military and all that conveys.

This is the way.

They are going to follow the path that ALL extremists parties follow (and I’m not going out on a limb here - they’re already doing this). They will resort to violence and threats of violence. You are hearing it RIGHT NOW - “keep up this impeachment, and it will lead to violence.” Let’s translate that for the dense folks: “if you oppose us, we will exhort our followers to do violence to you.”

The ship has sailed on the GQP being a legitimate political party. They are now all-in on being an extremist movement, ironically, because they went so far extremist that they have low chances of winning nationally via fair elections, they now have to double down on extremist tactics and violence because that’s the only path to power they have left.

It’s going to get worse. More people are going to die in political violence, and there’s an actual, measurable chance that the GQP takes power through violent means and doesn’t give it up. What has been taken by bloodshed will only be surrendered by bloodshed. That’s the game they are playing. Everyone loses. They’re just counting on them giving less of a shit about suffering than the rest of us. It’s not a bad bet.
  • Like 1

This is the way.

They are going to follow the path that ALL extremists parties follow (and I’m not going out on a limb here - they’re already doing this). They will resort to violence and threats of violence. You are hearing it RIGHT NOW - “keep up this impeachment, and it will lead to violence.” Let’s translate that for the dense folks: “if you oppose us, we will exhort our followers to do violence to you.”

The ship has sailed on the GQP being a legitimate political party. They are now all-in on being an extremist movement, ironically, because they went so far extremist that they have low chances of winning nationally via fair elections, they now have to double down on extremist tactics and violence because that’s the only path to power they have left.

It’s going to get worse. More people are going to die in political violence, and there’s an actual, measurable chance that the GQP takes power through violent means and doesn’t give it up. What has been taken by bloodshed will only be surrendered by bloodshed. That’s the game they are playing. Everyone loses. They’re just counting on them giving less of a shit about suffering than the rest of us. It’s not a bad bet.

All of this coupled with a heavy dose of “We’re America! That could never happen here!”

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the way.

Youre Not Wrong Peter Porte GIF by Paramount Network

Welp, cross Nikki off.  Traitor RINO

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2021/magazine-nikki-haleys-choice/

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

More attempts at state capitols, more random hostage taking, more intimidation. It will take a courageous populace to commit to working or volunteering in sensitive election safeguarding positions or really in any government capacity. The first assault on institutional integrity was nonviolent, but now the real capo work is beginning. Bribery, theft, threats, and what once seemed remote for the average American who grew up w/o poverty or otherwise insulated, the similarity between our lives and the asylum seekers will seem a whole lot closer.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:15 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

So it begins.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-party-exclusive/exclusive-dozens-of-former-republican-officials-in-talks-to-form-anti-trump-third-party-idUSKBN2AB07P

Hide contents

Among the call participants were John Mitnick, general counsel for the Department of Homeland Security under Trump; former Republican congressman Charlie Dent; Elizabeth Neumann, deputy chief of staff in the Homeland Security Department under Trump; and Miles Taylor, another former Trump homeland security official.

The talks highlight the wide intraparty rift over Trump’s false claims of election fraud and the deadly Jan. 6 storming of the U.S. Capitol. Most Republicans remain fiercely loyal to the former president, but others seek a new direction for the party.

The House of Representatives impeached Trump on Jan. 13 on a charge of inciting an insurrection by exhorting thousands of supporters to march on the Capitol on the day Congress was gathered to certify Democrat Joe Biden’s election victory.

Call participants said they were particularly dismayed by the fact that more than half of the Republicans in Congress - eight senators and 139 House representatives - voted to block certification of Biden’s election victory just hours after the Capitol siege.

Most Republican senators have also indicated they will not support the conviction of Trump in this week’s Senate impeachment trial.

“Large portions of the Republican Party are radicalizing and threatening American democracy,” McMullin told Reuters. “The party needs to recommit to truth, reason and founding ideals or there clearly needs to be something new.”

‘THESE LOSERS’

Asked about the discussions for a third party, Jason Miller, a Trump spokesman, said: “These losers left the Republican Party when they voted for Joe Biden.”

A representative for the Republican National Committee referred to a recent statement from Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel.

“If we continue to attack each other and focus on attacking on fellow Republicans, if we have disagreements within our party, then we are losing sight of 2022 (elections),” McDaniel said on Fox News last month.

“The only way we’re going to win is if we come together,” she said.

The Biden White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

McMullin said just over 40% of those on last week’s Zoom call backed the idea of a breakaway, national third party. Another option under discussion is to form a “faction” that would operate either inside the current Republican Party or outside it.

Names under consideration for a new party include the Integrity Party and the Center Right Party. If it is decided instead to form a faction, one name under discussion is the Center Right Republicans.

Members are aware that the U.S. political landscape is littered with the remains of previous failed attempts at national third parties.

“But there is a far greater hunger for a new political party out there than I have ever experienced in my lifetime,” one participant said.

What's the over/under on how many current, in-office republicans attended this zoom call? 

1.5 you say?

I'll take the under.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

What is that carpet???

Do they live in a Residence Inn?

67b67368ebd27ae45302ba8f84717a82.jpg

This looks like she just stepped up and took the spoon right after she had ICE haul away her maid so she wouldn't have to pay her for the last month. 

What do they call this, again?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

This looks like she just stepped up and took the spoon right after she had ICE haul away her maid so she wouldn't have to pay her for the last month. 

What do they call this, again?

The Gingrich's just returned from overseas where Mrs. Gingrich was Ambassador to the Vatican. More likely if she had staff stateside, they were deported right after she and Newt left for Italy. She knew how to get Newt's 19 year marriage annulled, she knew how to carry on a six year affair while he was impeaching former President Clinton and married to his second wife (the other party in the annulment), and in the mother of all ironies, was  appointed Ambassador by Trump but I suppose like minded attracts like minded. I suspect she knows how to open a couple of cans and dump the contents in a stock pot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Man, fuck that bitch. You ride with the outlaw, you die with the outlaw.

If you read about the interview, she doesnt even have the guts to fully commit to criticizing him. 

In the Politico piece published Friday, Haley said in January she's "deeply disturbed" by what's happened to Trump since the election, arguing "the person that I worked with is not the person that I have watched since the election."

"Never did I think he would spiral out like this. ... I don't feel like I know who he is anymore," she claimed.

But Trump had pushed misleading and false claims about mail in voting early and throughout the 2020 campaign, as states moved to expand vote by mail and absentee ballot access due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Politico reported that Haley had called Trump in December after his election loss, but had not attempted to tell Trump that the election was not rigged as he falsely claimed.

"I understand the president. I understand that genuinely, to his core, he believes he was wronged," Haley told the magazine.

Asked if she thought it was dangerous that Trump was spreading misinformation about the election, Haley replied, "He believes it" and compared it to: "That would be like you saying that grass is blue and you genuinely believing it. Is it irresponsible that you're colorblind and you truly believe that?"

Thats not the same thing at all  you dumb cunt. the president of the US willfully trying to overturn an election is not the same thing as being colorblind. Everyone of these GOP politicians needs to be launched into the fucking sun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/how-republicans-could-rig-the-battle-for-control-of-congress/ar-BB1dBs34

this article is terrifying and 100% realistic now that there are no brakes on gerrymandering.  TLDR: fuck the filibuster. If they don't torpedo it, Dems are toast.

excerpt: 

Democrats face a daunting future of severe Republican gerrymandering that could flip control of the House in 2022 and suppress diverse younger generations’ political influence for years to come, according to a new study released today. Those findings underscore the stakes in Democrats’ efforts to pass national legislation combatting such electoral manipulation.

The four big states to watch are Texas, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina, where the GOP enjoys complete control over the redistricting process, says Michael Li, a senior counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice and the author of the new report on how congressional redistricting could unfold following the 2020 census. “Those four states, which are seat-rich and where Republicans control the process, could decide who controls the next Congress,” he told me.

Given the likelihood that, absent federal intervention, red states will enact severe gerrymanders and new obstacles to voting, the decision about whether to end the Senate filibuster to pass these two bills could shape the future of American politics more than anything else Democrats do in the next two years. “If the filibuster remains in place, [H.R. 1] dies in the Senate,” Dan Pfeiffer, the former White House communications director for Barack Obama, wrote this week. If that happens, “the Republicans—who represent a shrinking minority of Americans—will likely return to power and control politics for the next decade or more.”

“When Senate Democrats like Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, and [Dianne] Feinstein oppose getting rid of the filibuster,” Pfeiffer added, “they are deciding to make it more likely that their time in the majority is ever so brief.”

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the way.

Do nothing and we will resort to violence and threats of violence as well.  If you don't oppose us, we will definitely exhort our followers to do violence to you because there's no repercussions and we can is a play out of every Authoritarian playbook too.  Autocrats always needs opposition and when there isn't one, they'll create it.  Currently, Democrats hold power and are united, if they don't work together and stay strong then it will be the last time. They overcame alot to get to this point.  That opportunity may not present itself again.  They need to meet this threat head on and curb stomp it or get run over.  It's an advantage they can't afford to waste.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dems have been shown the way, ram everything home the way it's been done the last 4 years.  Congress and the SCOTUS gave the president unlimited power so use its every advantage and quit taking the high ground.  They stated that a sitting president can't be punished.  Fuck them.    

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/how-republicans-could-rig-the-battle-for-control-of-congress/ar-BB1dBs34

this article is terrifying and 100% realistic now that there are no brakes on gerrymandering.  TLDR: fuck the filibuster. If they don't torpedo it, Dems are toast.

excerpt: 

Democrats face a daunting future of severe Republican gerrymandering that could flip control of the House in 2022 and suppress diverse younger generations’ political influence for years to come, according to a new study released today. Those findings underscore the stakes in Democrats’ efforts to pass national legislation combatting such electoral manipulation.

The four big states to watch are Texas, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina, where the GOP enjoys complete control over the redistricting process, says Michael Li, a senior counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice and the author of the new report on how congressional redistricting could unfold following the 2020 census. “Those four states, which are seat-rich and where Republicans control the process, could decide who controls the next Congress,” he told me.

Given the likelihood that, absent federal intervention, red states will enact severe gerrymanders and new obstacles to voting, the decision about whether to end the Senate filibuster to pass these two bills could shape the future of American politics more than anything else Democrats do in the next two years. “If the filibuster remains in place, [H.R. 1] dies in the Senate,” Dan Pfeiffer, the former White House communications director for Barack Obama, wrote this week. If that happens, “the Republicans—who represent a shrinking minority of Americans—will likely return to power and control politics for the next decade or more.”

“When Senate Democrats like Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, and [Dianne] Feinstein oppose getting rid of the filibuster,” Pfeiffer added, “they are deciding to make it more likely that their time in the majority is ever so brief.”

Democrats can offset GOP gerrymandering just in IL and NY alone and the "independent" committee in California is full of Democratic loyalists.  Also the NC Supreme Court is majority Dem. 

But someone had an article on the Texas redistricting and noted there's been like, not enough growth in Texas in places where the GOP can run up margins, so they would have to do some weird shit for Houston/Dallas/CenTex and hope it doesn't get thrown out by the Courts.  They can't do a 39-0 map. 

9 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Dems have been shown the way, ram everything home the way it's been done the last 4 years.  Congress and the SCOTUS gave the president unlimited power so use its every advantage and quit taking the high ground.  They stated that a sitting president can't be punished.  Fuck them.    

This is the only way.  Dems didn't start the war, but they have to finish it.  If they don't, the last 4 years will repeat until the nation falls.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

They need to meet this threat head on and curb stomp it or get run over.

An essential part of it needs to be this: the FBI needs to treat domestic terrorists like domestic terrorists.  Imagine that every one of the MAGAts openly stating threats, and actively working to plan political, terrorist violence, was an Arab.  Then deal with them exactly as we would deal with an Arab.  Stop treating these people like a political movement.  They are not.  They are a violent extremist terrorist movement.  Crush it.  To dust.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Democrats can offset GOP gerrymandering just in IL and NY alone and the "independent" committee in California is full of Democratic loyalists.  Also the NC Supreme Court is majority Dem. 

But someone had an article on the Texas redistricting and noted there's been like, not enough growth in Texas in places where the GOP can run up margins, so they would have to do some weird shit for Houston/Dallas/CenTex and hope it doesn't get thrown out by the Courts.  They can't do a 39-0 map. 

Doesn't NY have an "independent" commission too?

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Doesn't NY have an "independent" commission too?

There's a constitutional amendment going to voters this fall to basically let the NY lege overrule the commission with a majority and adopt new maps with less than 2/3rds of the vote. 

Currently, if the same party controls both chambers, 2/3 is needed to adopt maps and 60% is needed for divided control.  Under the new rule, they could overrule the maps with 51% and adopt new maps with 60% instead of 67%

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What exactly is Kamala Harris going to be impeached for?

According to Lindsey she bailed out a rioter who then went out and broke someone's head open.  No idea what the actual story is as I turned the TV off with anger after listening to him for about 90 seconds.  The problem is there are millions of people that will hear rhetoric like what Lindsey is saying that Trump did nothing wrong, the Dems are socialists, etc... and it just tears the country apart because the people that believe him are flat out morons.

• Like 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult