The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

https://www.axios.com/eric-greitens-missouripac-senate-bid-ee581b4a-d65c-441d-ba94-d2860e744d75.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiossneakpeek&stream=top

A super PAC that funneled millions in untraceable cash to Eric Greitens' 2016 Missouri gubernatorial campaign has resurfaced as he mounts a bid for U.S. Senate, records show.

Why it matters: "SEALs for Truth PAC" provides a means to funnel huge financial support to Greitens as he seeks the Republican nomination. And its revival has the potential to renew scrutiny of the dodgy tactics that helped elect him governor.

The group also contributed to the legal and ethical travails that forced his resignation.

In late May, two days after Greitens officially entered the Senate race, SEALs for Truth filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission signaling it was kicking back into gear.

The super PAC had been largely inactive since Greitens' election in 2016. It tried four timeslast year to terminate its FEC registration but the commission rejected each effort.

A source familiar with the situation told Axios the termination was denied because of an ongoing FEC review of allegations it illegally hid the sources of $2 million in contributions to Greitens' gubernatorial campaign.

Spoiler

The $2 million that SEALs for Truth donated to Greitens' 2016 campaign came entirely from a nonprofit that, in turn, had links to Greitens' staffers and consultants.

The donation was the largest political contribution in Missouri history, and ethics groups have since alleged it was designed to hide the sources of funds for Greitens' campaign.

It followed discussions among the Greitens team — later unearthed by the Missouri Ethics Commission — about using nonprofit "dark money" groups to keep the identities of large campaign donors secret.

Missouri officials determined that Greitens' campaign had illegally used nonprofits to boost his gubernatorial campaign. Greitens himself was cleared of wrongdoing.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a left-leaning nonprofit, filed a complaint with the FEC alleging the SEALs for Truth scheme violated federal election laws. It later sued the FEC to compel an investigation. The case is ongoing.

Between the lines: SEALs for Truth hasn't reported any expenditures in the Missouri Senate race. And it hasn't reported any significant income since the $2 million donation it immediately funneled to Greitens in 2016.

Emails to and phone messages left with the contact information on file with the FEC were not returned.

A Greitens campaign spokesperson told Axios, "We have no knowledge of any updates involving this group or their plans, nor have we had any contact with this group."

Be smart: Unlike in 2016, when Greitens' campaign was bound by state instead of federal laws, SEALs for Truth won't be able to donate directly to his 2022 effort.

Federal law, unlike the Missouri statute, prohibits a super PAC from donating directly to candidates or coordinating with their campaigns.

SEALs for Trump can raise and spend unlimited sums on Greitens' behalf, though.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Speaking of funding and elections, this is a primer for what is occurring:

Worthwhile thread by Gertz and commentary by Litman. Click on the tweet for a longer thread.

Yep. And those same pictures were at the top of the fox news website yesterday.  There are millions of Americans caught inside these manufactured information bubbles.  They are fed the same story from cable news, right-wing talk radio, twitter heads, their facebook feed, and their trusted news websites.  Propaganda works.  There is an alternative reality within a large part of the US.

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Speaking of funding and elections, this is a primer for what is occurring:

Worthwhile thread by Gertz and commentary by Litman. Click on the tweet for a longer thread.

@DonkeyCigars this is a great example of astroturfing in action - the Tea Party was an effective big mainstream political astroturfing move too

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/23/2021 at 10:33 AM, Lobo said:

You'd think as a cult leader, Trump would have made more use of the one of the big perks of being a cult leader---bedding down with some of young, naive lady followers.  You know his wife isn't putting out anymore.  And out of the tens of millions of hardcore, dipshit voters...statistically speaking, there's gotta be some hot ass in there somewhere that would be willing to give themselves over to Dear Leader.  Hell, I know some attractive female hardcore Trump supporters here in Texas that would gladly travel on their own dime to be with him romantically.  I think in office, it would have been too much of a security risk, but now that he's just chilling in Florida with very little happening in the bedroom.  Hell, i know two perfectly straight male friends of mine that would blow Trump to climax in exchange for a letter of recommendation from him.  

Melenia is very jaealous !!!!

As more information comes out as time goes by, I wonder if it will be shown if he had any sway at all in slowing some of the worst of Trump's impulses or was complicit in most of them. He strikes me as the type of man that would've been quite the evangelical small town minister; Sunday sermons, consoling the grieving, aiding the ill and homebound, designing the children's programming, and staffing the food pantry. Maybe he hates all that, but he's an odd duck with his buttoned up face and mannerisms on the one hand, and his punitive actions as governor for the least of these, handed down without emotion. And his own brother, turning his back on him for certifying the election.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was looking at this graphic below and it jibes with something I saw yesterday. The CRT has landed, so the GOP may stick with that for awhile or they may not. Race has often been one of their reliable fallbacks in the past, but given the ddata metrics they have access to, they may continue to tweak and tweak until they find just what works.

2022 is going to be a shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cancel culture didn't fizzle out. CC is about shutting down things that go against the supposed hive mind of the left. CRT goes against the white supremacism/systemic racism doesn’t exist hive mind of the right.  They’re just cancel culturing CRT even though it’s not a widespread thing 

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a great look:

E4iMh-EXIAcx2mh?format=jpg&name=medium

This is an adult... 

allegedly.  I have no issue with this clown getting plastered all over the internet and he loses everything. 

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I can''t. I know it's the way things are, but it's just sick. Power and money and power and just ....

Long article at the link. Read the whole thing. All of it. I know this goes on, politics is a dirty game, but the toying with people's lives and people who are trying to help others that get caught up in this from the periphery and the idea that we can work together to make a better world is just evaporated.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

As more information comes out as time goes by, I wonder if it will be shown if he had any sway at all in slowing some of the worst of Trump's impulses or was complicit in most of them. He strikes me as the type of man that would've been quite the evangelical small town minister; Sunday sermons, consoling the grieving, aiding the ill and homebound, designing the children's programming, and staffing the food pantry. Maybe he hates all that, but he's an odd duck with his buttoned up face and mannerisms on the one hand, and his punitive actions as governor for the least of these, handed down without emotion. And his own brother, turning his back on him for certifying the election.

Pence would have made a fantastic small town minister.  

I think he sold his morals out by running with Trump, but I give him credit with supporting and going through with certification knowing his political career was finished, and his family would actually need Secret Service protection from all of the crazy Trumpkins. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pence would have made a fantastic small town minister.  

I think he sold his morals out by running with Trump, but I give him credit with supporting and going through with certification knowing his political career was finished, and his family would actually need Secret Service protection from all of the crazy Trumpkins. 

It seemed downplayed in some regards, but I was under the impression from a few analyses that the 'tourists' got a lot closer to running into the VP than the SS would've liked.

But he did ultimately, honor the oath.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

It seemed downplayed in some regards, but I was under the impression from a few analyses that the 'tourists' got a lot closer to running into the VP than the SS would've liked.

But he did ultimately, honor the oath.

they certainly got close to the chamber and not far from Mitt Romney before office Goodman steered him away. It could have been WAY worse than it already was. And that in and of itself is pretty amazing

• Like 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

they certainly got close to the chamber and not far from Mitt Romney before office Goodman steered him away. It could have been WAY worse than it already was. And that in and of itself is pretty amazing

Excuse me, the GREATEST PATRIOT EVER Ashli Babbitt was just trying to get inside to protect Pence before she was EXECUTED. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Excuse me, the GREATEST PATRIOT EVER Ashli Babbitt was just trying to get inside to protect Pence before she was EXECUTED. 

Check out the 2 hour doc on CNN tonight. They spend quite a bit of time with Ashley Babbitt’s brother. He seems genuinely mystified by his sister’s descent into darkness. It’s worth watching.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

hmm. Pence eh? well here is my unsolciated take on Pence....He is a devil. Not The Devil, but a devil. An American devil. Its not his fault whatsoever that he thought about sucking some cock at like 16 years old and had to repress those thoughts. He made it to who he is now with all the conflict defining him. He has just enough of a world view and experiences that make him understand his spirituality is paper thin, but no courage whatsoever to do anything about it. He is still a 16 year old boy and would act accoringly. One morning feeding the poor, that evening overseeing the execution of 3 teenage girls caught dancing (not with him of course). 16 year old boy though and through.

Dude is the ideal small town leader. He thrives there. Trump on the otherhand wouldn't last two minutes in any small town evnironment. His BS would have him run out of town. Both are connected in the that they are raised in a sick society that prioritised individual gains over everything else. Pence is sick because of it and Trump is here to grab power in the gigantic spritual vacuum that we have on our hands. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Duh. that'll be $9.95 please. 

seriously, your post is spot in that it identifies the two sides of this fucking guy. what a weirdo. never trust people whose day and night jobs don't line up. 

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, that’s the faces of two people who surely had a super productive meeting!

How long is it going to take people to learn that the Rs are terrorists and terrorist supporters?  There is no negotiation.  There is no reasoning with them.  They must be destroyed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, staboner said:

hmm. Pence eh? well here is my unsolciated take on Pence....He is a devil. Not The Devil, but a devil. An American devil. Its not his fault whatsoever that he thought about sucking some cock at like 16 years old and had to repress those thoughts. He made it to who he is now with all the conflict defining him. He has just enough of a world view and experiences that make him understand his spirituality is paper thin, but no courage whatsoever to do anything about it. He is still a 16 year old boy and would act accoringly. One morning feeding the poor, that evening overseeing the execution of 3 teenage girls caught dancing (not with him of course). 16 year old boy though and through.

Dude is the ideal small town leader. He thrives there. Trump on the otherhand wouldn't last two minutes in any small town evnironment. His BS would have him run out of town. Both are connected in the that they are raised in a sick society that prioritised individual gains over everything else. Pence is sick because of it and Trump is here to grab power in the gigantic spritual vacuum that we have on our hands. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Duh. that'll be $9.95 please. 

seriously, your post is spot in that it identifies the two sides of this fucking guy. what a weirdo. never trust people whose day and night jobs don't line up. 

I like your comparison (16 year old in stasis). When Pence first declared the term ago and I nosed around, I was less than impressed with his gubernatorial record so I didn't pay much attention to him. However, a lot of folks (including on this forum) joked about his sexual proclivities. It's not something I really care about unless it's something of a criminal nature, but what it made me do was look a little more closely at his words, his mannerisms, and his actions and *I was like, 'wow, modern day Arthur Dimmesdale?' but that isn't quite Pence--although Pence doing the right thing in the end is an atonement of sorts. No, I like your comparison better, and while he's not a complete Janus-face I would love to be in the recovery room when he stirs awake after anesthesia, I bet he has some doozies.

*keeping in mind that now I was forming biases based on all the conjecture.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah, that’s the faces of two people who surely had a super productive meeting!

Disgust and shock are how I'd read that L-R.  And who is in the background as the one who showed them out of the office?---McCarthy's Deputy Chief of Staff who saw a photo of Stephen Miller and thought, "Yeah, that's the look I'm going for this summer.  Gonna get all the babes!"