The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

20 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Ya know, I was just thinking the other day that my life living here in Austin Texas was getting really fucked up because the mayor of Baltimore and the mayor of shittsville Montana are so damn corrupt. 

Tis a shame about that. Good thing we’ve got a law abiding president though.

So there’s that, which is nice. 

Forgot the gays with their gay marriage and the public bathrooms that trans folks may want to use. 

12 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

as an adjunct prof in philosophy, i've been saying this for a few years now.

Yep.  The mistaken take that "different perspective" must equal "different reality" (I oversimplify to make a point here) is fraught with that exact peril.  If truth is what anyone says it is, then those with the loudest voice/most power will decide what reality is.  And you will almost certainly really, really not like it.

Objective truth and reality, even if not perfectly knowable, still have to be the foundation on which we build our systems and goals.

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot about Hawley in the years to come.  If the GOP makes this turn, the democrat party is toast.  I doubt it will substantively come to pass, but even only a rhetorical turn could pretty much make dems a party only for minorities and urban white granola eaters. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot about Hawley in the years to come.  If the GOP makes this turn, the democrat party is toast.  I doubt it will substantively come to pass, but even only a rhetorical turn could pretty much make dems a party only for minorities and urban white granola eaters. 

Yeah....I wouldn't waste much time worrying about the GOP adopting that worldview.  Not even rhetorically.  There's nothing left of the party except Trumpism.  Oh, and Hawley's words are just that -- words.  Check out the rest of his words, and his voting record.  Another fundagelical fascist with a nice smile.

I will now list all the Republicans that anyone should trust to care about the greater good:

Yep, that about covers it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I wouldn't waste much time worrying about the GOP adopting that worldview.  Not even rhetorically.  There's nothing left of the party except Trumpism.  Oh, and Hawley's words are just that -- words.  Check out the rest of his words, and his voting record.  Another fundagelical fascist with a nice smile.

I will now list all the Republicans that anyone should trust to care about the greater good:

Hawley is the "what if Trump but smart?" horror brought to life.  Barring a sex scandal involving a dead 10-year-old girl, I think he's going to be the GOP presidential nominee within the next 12 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hawley could be an heir to Trump in the way Trump so completely divorces rhetoric (vaguely populist) from substance (bog standard Republican seeking to support the interests of capital).  Maybe if we had a true opposition party in this country then such a strategy wouldn't be viable, but what is someone like Joe Biden going to say to bring those contradictions to the fore when he's playing the same game?  

If Americans should have learned any lesson from Trump’s campaign, it’s that when an oligarch tells you what he intends to do, don’t laugh. Listen. Trump made it clear what sort of strong-man, racist rule he intended, and he did just that. So when Hawley writes that government is created to serve conservative Christian ends, listen up. --Charles Jaco, 11-14-18

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, because they are going to lose states like Texas, Georgia, Arizona, and Florida.

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh yeah, I'm sure we can trust them not to steal elections in those states.

Yeah....I'm pretty sure that they'll do something like set up a special "citizen screening test" for getting/renewing your voter registration.  It will be applied to anyone with a "funny-sounding" name, and will be around 3X as long and difficult as the SAT and only administered on every other first Monday of the month at a location with no parking and seating for 10.  Voter suppression is the name of the game, and they're going to go all-in on it.

Those states aren't flipping for another 20 years.  And by then, it will be WAY too late for it to matter anymore.

Face the truth: the GOP is on a mission to kill this country, and they're being quite successful.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I'm pretty sure that they'll do something like set up a special "citizen screening test" for getting/renewing your voter registration.  It will be applied to anyone with a "funny-sounding" name, and will be around 3X as long and difficult as the SAT.  Voter suppression is the name of the game, and they're going to go all-in on it.

Those states aren't flipping for another 20 years.  And by then, it will be WAY too late for it to matter anymore.

Face the truth: the GOP is on a mission to kill this country, and they're being quite successful.

They will flip long before that.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They will flip long before that.

What exactly is IN that glass you're drinking from?

Oh, and I left out the "they'll cooperate on every level with a foreign power to launch relentless disinformation campaigns against the opposition, and they'll flat-out hack into and change votes in necessary precincts."  All pretense of a functioning democracy hasn't just been abandoned -- it's actively opposed.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

What exactly is IN that glass you're drinking from?

Oh, and I left out the "they'll cooperate on every level with a foreign power to launch relentless disinformation campaigns against the opposition, and they'll flat-out hack into and change votes in necessary precincts."  All pretense of a functioning democracy hasn't just been abandoned -- it's actively opposed.

Just look at Virginia. That's what's going to happen.

as an adjunct prof in philosophy, i've been saying this for a few years now.

Yeah, not surprising. This is one of the reasons why I’ve been saying for about 15 years that Democrats should be rallying around protecting the integrity of liberal institutions and fundamental western values- free minds, free markets, fair play, etc.

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah, not surprising. This is one of the reasons why I’ve been saying for about 15 years that Democrats should be rallying around protecting the integrity of liberal institutions and fundamental western values- free minds, free markets, fair play, etc.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore." He continued "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors … and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

• Suskind, Ron (2004-10-17). Faith, Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush. New York Times Magazine.  
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

54 likes and 18 retweets.  Compare to...

I don’t think Hawley is taking the wheel anytime soon.

39 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Just look at Virginia. That's what's going to happen.

With gerrymandering, though and in areas where they tried to gerrymander and then ended with a hot mess because of the suburbs, won't the GOP just sue in the areas they lost and then take it to the courts they just packed? (w/respect to the House)

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'd pay real money at this point to know what they have on him.  The gay angle is obvious but maybe there's more.  Between that and the vote on Armenian genocide, the WH is testing how deep Lindsey will take it and he hasn't said no yet.

I think they have blackmale on him.

• Haha 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult