The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

We aren't talking about people with beliefs. We are talking about people who've fallen in lock-step behind a con-man, tool of gangsters. They've done so knowing full well that their leader is actively aiding our former sworn enemy-state simply because he gets their core constituency wet, and there is no other way to progress in their line of work. They are traitors to everything we hope this country would stand for, simply for money and power. Belief has nothing to do with it.

I would welcome a government that makes choices based on the tension of liberal and conservative, libertarian and authoritarian impulses. We don't have that, and may not again for some time when the arc of this tragedy plays out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I'm a Conservative but not if what I'm conserving is a way of life for the mega rich.  And even then, it's not to suppress them so much as get them to pay their fare share.

Good for you. We need pragmatic conservatives around to help provide us guard rails as we pass down this mountain. What we don't need are retrograde assholes to stomp the breaks or slap it into reverse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, softlynow said:

We aren't talking about people with beliefs. We are talking about people who've fallen in lock-step behind a con-man, tool of gangsters. They've done so knowing full well that their leader is actively aiding our former sworn enemy-state simply because he gets their core constituency wet, and there is no other way to progress in their line of work. They are traitors to everything we hope this country would stand for, simply for money and power. Belief has nothing to do with it.

I would welcome a government that makes choices based on the tension of liberal and conservative, libertarian and authoritarian impulses. We don't have that, and may not again for some time when the arc of this tragedy plays out.

Agreed. Trump's defenders are not "big C" conservatives. They're only con men or marks.

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No one knows the future with certainty, but remaining nimble is the only way to ride the foreseeable waves.

Fighting it is pointless. Navigating the flow is the only manageable or rational choice. It's like the NIMBY's refusal to adapt to Austin's inevitable growth, fucking it up for everyone.

but it's also contingent on if all things are fare and equal, then yeah, you should reap what you sow.  

I am comforted by the fact that every two years 3% of the Boomer and older voters are replaced by millennial and younger voters. So Republicans lose about 1% a year in the difference.

In ten years the current version of the Republican party will be a memory.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, softlynow said:

They are traitors to everything we hope this country would stand for, simply for money and power.

This cannot be understated.  The GOP and its followers are the antithesis of everything American.  They are literally who we have always aspired not to be.  It would be sad if there weren't so many of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This cannot be understated.  The GOP and its followers are the antithesis of everything American.  They are literally who we have always aspired not to be.  It would be sad if there weren't so many of them.

Which is why I've come to believe this ends badly. I hope I'm wrong. I hope for the continuation of our quadrennial peaceful revolutions. I just don't see that being the case. Trump knows he cannot leave office without suffering somehow. A cornered sociopath is the most dangerous kind. First he will try to win reelection. If he fails at that, he will look for another way.

This kind of messaging is really what the Democratic party needs to unify behind. The idea of unions, fair wages, and the rich paying their fair share of taxes is as popular as it has been in a long time. Trump is an evil corrupt piece of shit, but he is the result, not the cause of, the modern GOP playbook.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

This kind of messaging is really what the Democratic party needs to unify behind. The idea of unions, fair wages, and the rich paying their fair share of taxes is as popular as it has been in a long time. Trump is an evil corrupt piece of shit, but he is the result, not the cause of, the modern GOP playbook.

The last graph is amazing to me.  The rise in tuition for Gen X and Millennials completely destroyed a lot of their chances to have a similar or better financial trajectory than their parents.  My dad went to school in the 60s/70s and his tuition was a couple hundred a semester.  

• Like 2

It's a bad telling of history.  There are a 1000 events between Reagan and now that are more responsible for the shit we are in.  People took a message and stretched it to fit ideological ends from someone that wasn't an ideologue.  The post-Reagan right wing propaganda machine (Rush/Newt/Fox) are the ones more responsible.

23 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

It's a bad telling of history.  There are a 1000 events between Reagan and now that are more responsible for the shit we are in.  People took a message and stretched it to fit ideological ends from someone that wasn't an ideologue.  The post-Reagan right wing propaganda machine (Rush/Newt/Fox) are the ones more responsible.

What? Reagan, the Southern strategy, and massive deregulation and tax cuts is, yes arguably, what started the GOP's modern turn. Of course a million things happened after Reagan, but they occurred after his inauguration.

Edited by GSU&UT

24 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Who revoked the fairness doctrine and made the right-wing propaganda machine possible? I'll give you one guess. 

• Like 4

Economic inequality is the biggest red flag on that one.  People voting against their own self interest in a nutshell.

Well, when you look at the bottom category, and realize that they’ve been convinced that their economic situation is the fault of a bunch a Mexicans hanging Sheetrock and picking lettuce, you get the complete picture.
  • Like 8

I just want it documented here that I did not vote for any republican president or member of congress for my entire voting life.

I want this documented so that when the mob of poor people round up all the old white guys in the future to pay their penance, I can point back to my post (s) to show I was on their team way back in the 2010’s.

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Is she in any danger of being ousted because sometimes the campaign ads just write themselves.

NW PHX, Maricopa County. R+13 district. Probably stands a better chance of being primaried from the Right for not being old enough and not having a penis.  

Saw this on twitter today and thought it relevant. I guess I always assumed that the GOP would continue to subvert democracy and load the courts in an attempt to hold onto power until the demographics are just impossible to overcome. It never occurred to me that the younger generations - who skew overwhelmingly left - would latch onto the toxic, ethno-nationalism that represents a growing part of the party. Guess I was wrong. Here's an article about the college republican group at the University of Maine. They have overwhelmingly rejected the "softer" side of conservatism for white nationalism.  

http://www.mainernews.com/umaine-college-republicans-caught-in-maga-civil-war/

and a 2017 article from Alex Pareene that details what the future GOP will look like

https://splinternews.com/charlottesville-was-a-preview-of-the-future-of-the-repu-1797988745

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Saw this on twitter today and thought it relevant. I guess I always assumed that the GOP would continue to subvert democracy and load the courts in an attempt to hold onto power until the demographics are just impossible to overcome. It never occurred to me that the younger generations - who skew overwhelmingly left - would latch onto the toxic, ethno-nationalism that represents a growing part of the party. Guess I was wrong. Here's an article about the college republican group at the University of Maine. They have overwhelmingly rejected the "softer" side of conservatism for white nationalism.  

http://www.mainernews.com/umaine-college-republicans-caught-in-maga-civil-war/

and a 2017 article from Alex Pareene that details what the future GOP will look like

https://splinternews.com/charlottesville-was-a-preview-of-the-future-of-the-repu-1797988745

Which is why the Republican Party is a dead man walking. If not it must be stopped. These shitheads are a decided minority and they are the future of the GOP. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

It's not just here.  It's happening all over the world.  Everything old is new again.

It is a bit sobering realizing we are just dumb animals repeating the same mistakes over and over.  We are not progressing as a species.  We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It is a bit sobering realizing we are just dumb animals repeating the same mistakes over and over.  We are not progressing as a species.  We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.  

We are actually in even worse shape than other countries. A tyrant can take us over "democratically" with less than 40% of the vote.  Trump may win the election while losing by 10 million votes in 2020. A fully packed court and Senate will let the death camps begin in earnest. 

Chavez had to actually win the popular vote to fuck Venezuela at least. 

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep. Nearly everyone who lived through WW2 is dead.  Already ramping up to happen again. In nearly exactly the same order even. 

Night of the long knives is coming. Trump is getting the "legal" okay for any and all crimes committed while in office right now. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep. Nearly everyone who lived through WW2 is dead.  Already ramping up to happen again. In nearly exactly the same order even. 

Night of the long knives is coming. 

But with the twist of the internet and social media to speed the process exponentially.  It's pretty wild.

23 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Night of the long knives is coming. Trump is getting the "legal" okay for any and all crimes committed while in office right now. 

Don't care, can't be drafted.

Kidding, not kidding.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We progress in slow iterations.

spacer.png

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult