The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

58 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gonna put this one here because it encapsulates attempts at a reasonable discussions with Trump loving Republicans these days. 

It also shows what happens when you attach yourself to Trump. He drains your dignity and intellect until you’re nothing but a hollowed-out ghoul.

• Like 1

George Will was on MSNBC yesterday and said once Trump loses to Biden, Republicans will start saying Trump, who? Yeah, sorry George. We're not going to let them get away with that. They will own their allegiance to Trump for multiple election cycles. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Message Board User said:

This is a great article...if a bit depressing for those of us who would like to see the GOP purged of Trumpism.

Jesus - that guy may have created his own ledge.  But instead of scotch, they've loaded up on barbiturates, Xanax and Ambien.  Not sure if I want to join him or stay on Brisket's ledge ...  It is a pretty powerful piece and probably spot on in many respects:

In a time where political parties are motivated by ideology, they can be responsive to market forces. If they do A and win elections, they will keep doing A. If they do B and lose elections, they will stop doing B.

But the Republican party is not configured around ideology. It is configured around grievance. And grievances can be pressed whether you are winning or losing. If anything, losing makes grievances more satisfying, because the holder can reap the added emotional payoff of martyrdom.

Even if Donald Trump loses to Joe Biden by 12 points, it will not diminish—not one bit—his standing within the world of Republican party politics. The price of admission for anyone looking to run for office in the party will be testifying to Trump’s greatness and the unfairness of his loss.

Anyone who deviates from that line will not be welcomed by the party’s voters.

Edited by Gap03

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Mattis was probably misquoted in the article he wrote. 

Umm, wasn't that a prepared statement from Mattis?  Do they all carry around prepared statements that can be misquoted, just in case someone unfriendly approaches them, or is he claiming that we all do, but those that are more seasoned know not to carry that contraband on their persons?  

What's he's saying makes no fucking sense.

5 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Jesus - that guy may have created his own ledge.  But instead of scotch, they've loaded up on barbiturates, Xanax and Ambien.  Not sure if I want to join him or stay on Brisket's ledge ...  It is a pretty powerful piece and probably spot on in many respects:

It is.

This my exact thesis, which has been supported by all evidence thus far:

But the Republican party is not configured around ideology. It is configured around grievance. And grievances can be pressed whether you are winning or losing. If anything, losing makes grievances more satisfying, because the holder can reap the added emotional payoff of martyrdom.

Even if Donald Trump loses to Joe Biden by 12 points, it will not diminish—not one bit—his standing within the world of Republican party politics. The price of admission for anyone looking to run for office in the party will be testifying to Trump’s greatness and the unfairness of his loss.

Anyone who deviates from that line will not be welcomed by the party’s voters.

This is the ENTIRETY of the GOP ideology.  Shit, look at our own resident super-Trumper, EMAW -- he LITERALLY admits that he stands with Trump to "oppose the extreme leftist agenda."  No policy points, just being a member of an aggrieved cult.  

Anyone who does not acknowledge and appeal to the insane, irrational grievances of the GOP base will not have a shot at succeeding within the party.  There is no room for "sane GOP."  It's not a thing.  The GOP is defined entirely by its grievance, and will cast out as a heretic anyone who dares suggest even a 1-degree deviation from that course.  Trump and Trumpism is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Not sure which thread to put this is, but the GOP thread seems like a good start:

Ukraine found no evidence against Hunter Biden in case audit: former top prosecutor

The audit was part of a broader reform of the prosecution service but became politically charged given some of the cases related to Burisma’s founder.

“Regarding the call to Zelenskiy and this story with Burisma. I can say that there was no pressure on me,” Ryaboshapka said. “The audit was completed.”

“I specifically asked prosecutors to check especially carefully those facts about Biden’s alleged involvement. They answered that there was nothing of the kind,” he added.

Ryaboshapka was fired in March after lawmakers accused him of not moving quickly enough in prosecuting cases. Ryaboshapka said he was axed because he had started bringing real reform to the prosecution service for the first time in a way that threatened the interests of corrupt politicians.

Trump was impeached on charges of abuse of power and obstruction in the Democratic-led House of Representatives after he asked Ukraine to investigate the Bidens. He was acquitted by the Republican-controlled Senate.

Hunter Biden’s activities at Burisma have also been the target of scrutiny by a U.S. Senate committee.

Unwittingly caught up in the impeachment row last year, Zelenskiy has said Ukrainians are “tired” of the issue and does not want Ukraine being dragged into the 2020 presidential race.

May be good to let Lindsay and Raphael know...

• Like 2

Fuck you Murkowski.  You had your chance.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/politics/lisa-murkowski-mattis-trump-reaction/index.html

Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska broke with many of her Republican colleaguesThursday, applauding an op-ed by General James Mattis that condemned President Donald Trump's actions this week.

"When I saw General Mattis' comments yesterday I felt like perhaps we are getting to a point where we can be more honest with the concerns that we might hold internally and have the courage of our own convictions to speak up," Murkowksi said on Capitol Hill.

I was really thankful. I thought General Mattis' words were true, and honest and necessary and overdue," Murkowski said. "And, I have been struggling for the right words, and I was encouraged a couple of nights ago when I was able to read what President Bush had written. And I found that to be empowering for me as one leader."

Murkowski, a Republican who has demonstrated an independent voting streak in the Senate, told reporters Thursday that she was still "struggling" with a decision about whether she would support Trump in November.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

She's not up for reelection.  She's the first to break ranks, but as Biden's lead grows, and more get convinced he isn't going to win, they are all going to start disavowing any allegiance to him.

9 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Wow

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/04/texas-greg-abbott-bexar-GOP-conspiracy/

So Bexar County and Nueces County GOP chairs have shared the same conspiracy theory and Abbot has asked them to resign. The Harris County-elect GOP chair shared a MLK quote with a banana in the background and Dan Crenshaw has asked he resign. The Comal County GOP Chair posted an image of George Soros with text “"I pay white cops to murder black people. And then I pay black people to riot because race wars keep the sheep in line.”

Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and New Braunfels are not some small town cheesedicks.

• Like 1

So Bexar County and Nueces County GOP chairs have shared the same conspiracy theory and Abbot has asked them to resign. The Harris County-elect GOP chair shared a MLK quote with a banana in the background and Dan Crenshaw has asked he resign. The Comal County GOP Chair posted an image of George Soros with text “"I pay white cops to murder black people. And then I pay black people to riot because race wars keep the sheep in line.”
Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and New Braunfels are not some small town cheesedicks.
No, but no one wants the job of Harris/Bexar County GOP chair. It's permanent irrelevance. It doesn't attract the best and brightest.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Read more  

No, but no one wants the job of Harris/Bexar County GOP chair. It's permanent irrelevance. It doesn't attract the best and brightest.

Has the republican party ever attracted that?

• Like 1

It. Is. Their. BRAND. It’s not a glitch, it’s not an unfortunate error. It’s what the fucking party IS. It’s fucking garbage. All of it.

19 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

And the Austin GOP chair just likes big tits. He’s seeming like a good choice all of a sudden. 

15 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

George P Bush calling on all 4 GOP chairs to resign (Bexar, Nueces, Comal, and Harris)

When notified of George P. Bush's request for resignation the GOP County chairs had to be reminded that George P. is "the brown one." The Bexar county chair assured the other chair leaders that he wasn't an imposter Bush "because he's the one that came out of Jeb's wife."

Edited by Chooky
At dios mio
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The problem in the party goes beyond Trump. In what world can these people obtain and hold positions in party leadership?

well, the issue is that trump has empowered them to say the quiet part out loud. republicans have apparently always been bursting at the seams with very racist leadership. before trump, they just kept it in the country club bar.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult