The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

51 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The GOP is what is known as a “chickenshit heel” in the wrestling industry. When they have the upper hand, they’re a merciless bully who flouts rules and decorum. They will do anything they can get away with, no matter how awful. But when the tables turn, they suddenly appeal to decency and fairness in a desperate attempt to save their skin. 

I know it sounds trite to analogize politics to something as silly as professional wrestling. But that business is built on manipulating the audience’s emotions such that they lose the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy. Which is exactly what we’ve seen from MAGA world these past four years.

Perhaps the best demonstration that Trump fans view their MAGA revolution as escapist fantasy (rather than real life) is how the Capitol mob reacted to one of their own being shot with a live round. They were stunned. Paralyzed. A single shot was fired, and the pitchfork-wielding mob became a somber, helpless wake. Why? Because the vast majority of these people never expected anyone to really get hurt. It never sunk in that this was real life, not a phony confrontation staged for the amusement of everyone involved. They thought they were playing a part in a Patriots vs. Libtards wrestling show or role playing game and ended up in a real live coup with people dying. And it caught them completely off guard.

Anyway, I think we can understand a lot about the emotional appeal of Trump and the behavior of his followers by studying entertainment formats like wrestling and fantasy games. And maybe by understanding MAGA in that light, we can figure out some ways to mitigate the damage it’s causing.

What's crazy about this is that they've willingly taken on the role of the villian.  I didn't think there were that many people in this country willing to do that, and it's this that continues to shock me when I let myself think about it too deeply.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

The GOP is what is known as a “chickenshit heel” in the wrestling industry. When they have the upper hand, they’re a merciless bully who flouts rules and decorum. They will do anything they can get away with, no matter how awful. But when the tables turn, they suddenly appeal to decency and fairness in a desperate attempt to save their skin. 

Ric Flair appeals for unity and healing

Steamboat-Flair-600x338.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's telling that the GOP still won't broadly call on Trump to do what's right for America. They won't even ask him to admit the election wasn't stolen. They want Biden to take the high road.

Yep. The republicans are calling for unity while at the same time trump is still telling his supporters the election was stolen, making unity impossible.

Just tell any Republican there can be no unity until trump is either gone for good or finally tells the truth to his supporters that he lost the election more bigly than he won in 2016.  

The latter will never ever happen so tell any Republican to shove their call for unity right up their ass until the glorious day comes that Trump finally drops dead. Then we can all come together in unity and celebration. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I know it sounds trite to analogize politics to something as silly as professional wrestling. But that business is built on manipulating the audience’s emotions such that they lose the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy. Which is exactly what we’ve seen from MAGA world these past four years.

Perhaps the best demonstration that Trump fans view their MAGA revolution as escapist fantasy (rather than real life) is how the Capitol mob reacted to one of their own being shot with a live round. They were stunned. Paralyzed. A single shot was fired, and the pitchfork-wielding mob became a somber, helpless wake. Why? Because the vast majority of these people never expected anyone to really get hurt. It never sunk in that this was real life, not a phony confrontation staged for the amusement of everyone involved. They thought they were playing a part in a Patriots vs. Libtards wrestling show or role playing game and ended up in a real live coup with people dying. And it caught them completely off guard.

Anyway, I think we can understand a lot about the emotional appeal of Trump and the behavior of his followers by studying entertainment formats like wrestling and fantasy games. And maybe by understanding MAGA in that light, we can figure out some ways to mitigate the damage it’s causing.

Thank you for articulating so well what I have been thinking. There’s always been this performative core to Trumpism, just shitting on political norms for the glee of disrupting things. The claims pushed by Trumpkins are frequently too outlandish for a reasonable person to take seriously, and the collective reactions indicate to me most don’t. I mean, until last Wednesday the response to in what most countries would be actual civil war was a fucking hashtag. Even most of the mob, after being politely let in by Capitol Police, simply paraded around with their phones and selfie sticks out. They obeyed the velvet ropes in Statuary Hall! And it took a gunshot for them to snap out of it. I’d guess most of the mob simply believed that larger forces at work rigged the game against Trump and them - and they aren’t wrong at a certain level of generality - and that was enough for them to suspend belief and embrace the theater. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

They obeyed the velvet ropes in Statuary Hall!

Ha. We noticed that too and crack up every time they play that clip on TV.

“STORM THE CAPITOL!!! STOP THE STEAL!!! Oh and please walk slowly in a single file line, remaining between the velvet ropes at all times.”

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Mitch can get fucked.  These assholes don't get to have enabled and encouraged the downfall of our nation for 4+ years (emphasis on the plus) and then get rid of this guy at the last second and pretend everything is fine now.  Fuck em all forever.  We will not forget.

didnt-see-that-coming-29892915.png

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Mitch can get fucked.  These assholes don't get to have enabled and encouraged the downfall of our nation for 4+ years (emphasis on the plus) and then get rid of this guy at the last second and pretend everything is fine now.  Fuck em all forever.  We will not forget.

What do you mean we won't forget?  Mitch cruised to reelection just a couple months ago.  Dems lost seats in the House as well.  Had you seen all the people voting for Biden sticking with the Dems down the ballot then I think Republicans would have been pushing just as hard as Dems to get this vote done and get him impeached and convicted, but people didn't vote against Reps, they voted against Trump. 

Reps believe, and are probably right, that if they can successfully jettison him now, they won't suffer many repercussions by the time the next election rolls by.  If they play it just right, all these crazy Trumpkins will just go back to not voting and the slightly less crazy will decide that they can't support communism or abortion so of course they are going to go back and vote Rep top to bottom.  

This is my concern.  It will take a lot of hard work to make sure this doesn't happen, and if we don't start the work of tying Trump to the Republican party at large right now, we've already lost. So far, Dems are doing a terrible job of making that argument.  Let's hope they get better quickly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

What do you mean we won't forget?  Mitch cruised to reelection just a couple months ago.  Dems lost seats in the House as well.  Had you seen all the people voting for Biden sticking with the Dems down the ballot then I think Republicans would have been pushing just as hard as Dems to get this vote done and get him impeached and convicted, but people didn't vote against Reps, they voted against Trump. 

Reps believe, and are probably right, that if they can successfully jettison him now, they won't suffer many repercussions by the time the next election rolls by.  If they play it just right, all these crazy Trumpkins will just go back to not voting and the slightly less crazy will decide that they can't support communism or abortion so of course they are going to go back and vote Rep top to bottom.  

This is my concern.  It will take a lot of hard work to make sure this doesn't happen, and if we don't start the work of tying Trump to the Republican party at large right now, we've already lost. So far, Dems are doing a terrible job of making that argument.  Let's hope they get better quickly.  

Yes. All of this. I should have said “we better not fucking forget or let anyone else forget either”. God dammit. 

I am pissed that it is up to the citizenry  who actually give a shit to keep the rest of the citizenry in line. I’ve got a job and a family and other shit I want to do too besides babysit the god damn morons in this country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's telling that the GOP still won't broadly call on Trump to do what's right for America. They won't even ask him to admit the election wasn't stolen. They want Biden to take the high road.

Mitch now supports effort to impeach Trump. Shockeroo!

https://www.businessinsider.com/mitch-mcconnell-pleased-at-prospect-of-trump-being-impeached-nyt-2021-1

I'll believe he votes for impeachment when I see it; but, Mitch probably doesn't plan to run again. Dude will be 84 when his term ends in 2026. I really doubt he gives a shit Tomi. Besides what money is the RNC going to have if the the business world shuts off the money pipeline until the Q/Trumpanzees are purged?

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not sure where to put this but I was watching some news this morning and switched to Fox News for a few minutes and heard multiple lawmakers that were Republican saying this rhetoric and the siege on the Capitol is both sides and we need to blame the Dems along with the Republicans for what is going on.  I find it interesting that for 4 years the Republicans were all, “elections have consequences and we will do what we want”, and literally as soon as they are out of power they are now saying this is both sides fault and we need to come together and forget the past.  One congresswoman from SC said we need to listen to the 75 million people that are upset that voted for Trump.  I don’t remember their attitude for the last 4 years for all of the Democrats that were upset that Clinton lost.  Were they concerned about that half of the country then?  I get the idea of “turn the other cheek” but what is everyone’s thoughts on this.  It actually pisses me off that the Republicans are turning the siege on the Capitol (via Fox News and the like) into its the Dems fault this happened also.

I say fuck their feelings. After fours of having the whiniest pussy ever in the Oval Office, Republicans have become a bunch of sniveling sore-loser bitches.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Goddamn, what a bunch of fucking pussies.  It's pretty simple; don't go to work.    Go on Fox or OAN or whatever and bitch about how un-American it is to walk through a metal detector

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Tomi telling Mitch he won't get re-elected.  He's 78 and just a hunch, but this might be his last go around in the Senate.

Thurmond left the Senate in January 2003 as the United States' longest-serving senator - He was born in 1902

Near the end of his life, Byrd was in declining health and was hospitalized several times. He died in office on June 28, 2010, at the age of 92. Byrd is the oldest member of Congress to die in office.

These worthless fucks will hang on forever if you let em. Id rather he get hit by a fucking bus so we dont have to chance it. 

Where are the free speech advocates?

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/one-a-m-professor-fired-one-disciplined-after-investigations-into-conduct-and-commentary/article_13e2f49a-5489-11eb-bbe6-d77728f65119.html

Two Aggy professors that spoke out against the Sul Ross statue were fired for other reasons that had nothing to do with Sul Ross issue. Wink wink 

• Rage+1 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult