The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In case anyone thought my stance yesterday was too harsh, go search "Rand Paul" on Twitter now.  He's manufacturing outrage by trying to get Chief Justice Roberts to read a question containing the alleged whistleblower's name, and Roberts keeps refusing.  Now you've got all sorts of Republican twitter minions claiming Roberts needs to be impeached, fake worrying about how "scary" this is to witness, blah blah blah.  Fuck all of them.  I'm tired to trying to placate to a group of people who make no attempt at being intellectually honest.  I don't give a fuck if they are sad about working in a dying industry or if calling them racist makes them angry, they are willingly choosing to follow jackasses like Rand Paul.  They deserve the ridicule.

If the twitters support Rand’s stupid crap they are most likely accounts paid by the Russians. He is. 

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait, Log Cabin Republicans still exist?  I thought all the gays had come to our senses already.

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sadly no. 

Gays can still be unintelligent selfish assholes who want to protect their class, race, and general privilege, yes? If so, then I can assume that some of y'all can still be Republicans. Point to a single poor and/or non-Anglo Log Cabin Republican to prove me wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Gays can still be unintelligent selfish assholes who want to protect their class, race, and general privilege, yes? If so, then I can assume that some of y'all can still be Republicans. Point to a single poor and/or non-Anglo Log Cabin Republican to prove me wrong.

They can also be grifters.   Maybe the Log Cabiners can team up with Diamond and Silk and their ilk in Uncle Toms cabin, and form a dog run.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I think the grifter class from log cabin split off into another gay republican group a few years ago. Haven’t heard about them in awhile either. 

Yeah, I'm certainly no expert but I've had some very close friends from high school/college days who've since come out as gay. One, in particular, is from a very wealthy family with oil money and deep southern Louisiana roots. I love him like a brother, but I've also heard him say a lot of very racist shit that shocked me even when I still considered myself a young Republican before opening my eyes. Today, he's the head of an English department of a public university and -- while not political -- can be a real elitist asshole, who's prominent in his Presbyterian or Episcopalian church.

Disclaimer: I don't know whether he's a Republican or a Democrat, because he always ignores/deflects direct questions about his political beliefs, and I don't push it. I'm rethinking that the next time I see him.

23 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, I'm certainly no expert but I've had some very close friends from high school/college days who've since come out as gay. One, in particular, is from a very wealthy family with oil money and deep southern Louisiana roots.

Gilbert Dauterive?

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, I'm certainly no expert but I've had some very close friends from high school/college days who've since come out as gay. One, in particular, is from a very wealthy family with oil money and deep southern Louisiana roots. I love him like a brother, but I've also heard him say a lot of very racist shit that shocked me even when I still considered myself a young Republican before opening my eyes. Today, he's the head of an English department of a public university and -- while not political -- can be a real elitist asshole, who's prominent in his Presbyterian or Episcopalian church.

Disclaimer: I don't know whether he's a Republican or a Democrat, because he always ignores/deflects direct questions about his political beliefs, and I don't push it. I'm rethinking that the next time I see him.

Is he white? Bc white gays are about as racist as Republicans. 

On 1/29/2020 at 12:39 PM, Goredho said:

There is a widening gap between urban and rural realities.

I think I've discussed this before, but I live in a small rural town out of state but still work remote for a company in Austin.  I go back to Austin to work in the office about 1 week out of every 8-12.  My company has remodeled its office space to look like a college campus.  Its like the West Mall.  75% of our employees are recent college graduates with excellent engineering academic pedigree in their first or second gig since hitting the work force.

Go to our company's cafeteria in ATX at any time of day, there will be a handful of 26 year olds and under clustered into different groups.  They are tech nerds, sipping their lattes.  Playing table top games.  Talking about the badass band they just saw, or whats going on downtown this weekend.  So forth.  They are making close to six figures if not over and have their whole career ahead of them.

Go to the local coffee shop here in Bumfuck, CO population 800 and its a bunch of people over 40 except for tourists passing through.  They are talking about who got thrown in jail, their divorce, who got busted for meth, the business that just shuttered, how they lost their job.  So forth.  They are scraping by and are further behind the curve than they were 15 years ago when they were the same age as the previously described group.

The locals that know me know I'm a tech guy working remote, and they can tell I make a decent living.  They ask me how they can do what I do, and I have no idea what to tell them.  They are so far removed from that population where life is good -- educated, intellectually curious, possessive of in-demand skills and living in a boomtown.  I tell them they need to start learning how to sling code, save up an emergency fund, move to a tech hub, be willing to start out in tech support and be prepared to work their asses off.  But I don't have a lot of confidence any of these people will be able to pull it off.  They are about at their capacity for technical skill already -- turning on a computer, playing with social media and jerking off to pron.

Nixon's southern strategy employed by Trump works with that group of rural have-nots because their lives really are shitty and they did not enjoy any of the prosperity that people like I enjoyed riding the tech wave in a place like ATX during the Obama years.  I don't know how you fix that exactly, but I don't think its by labeling everyone living in Vidor, TX that voted for a charlatan superficially empathetic to their plight a racist.

Oh I know! Maybe they should vote for a corrupt, immoral, failed businessman to become President! That will certainly make things better for them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

Oh I know! Maybe they should vote for a corrupt, immoral, failed businessman to become President! That will certainly make things better for them.

I’m convinced they don’t actually want to better their lives. It’s just schadenfreud at this point.  If that’s the right word. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m convinced they don’t actually want to better their lives. It’s just schadenfreud at this point.  If that’s the right word. 

If you mean enjoying rural rubes enjoying watching urban elites suffer, then, jawohl, I think schadenfreude works if you add an 'e' to the end.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 12:48 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

There aren't enough people in that part of VA to swing either state.

They'd get 2 senators and a house rep or two at least. 3 or 4 more Trump electors. 

The GOP is light years ahead of Dems on manipulation. The GOP doesn't give a shit about people at all. They care about falsely increasing their power in Washington.  It's why they outright reject the idea of Puerto Rican statehood.  They don't even really make another argument for the rejection. It's simply about them being likely Dem voters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Poor rural rubes know they have no shot at ever moving up the food chain and honestly I do not believe they want to.

As long as they can see what they consider to be "liberal elites", you know those evil city-dwelling folks who make infinitely more money than they do because they outworked them suffer, then all is well. It's a make them feel as miserable as they feel about life type of thing. They feel empowered due to Dotard's constant hateful rhetoric. It's insanity, but here we are.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

They'd get 2 senators and a house rep or two at least. 3 or 4 more Trump electors. 

The GOP is light years ahead of Dems on manipulation. The GOP doesn't give a shit about people at all. They care about falsely increasing their power in Washington.  It's why they outright reject the idea of Puerto Rican statehood.  They don't even really make another argument for the rejection. It's simply about them being likely Dem voters. 

They’d just be joining WV.  Senator count remains the same.  WV is likely losing a House seat (3 to 2) and at best, those new counties keep them at 3.

14 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They’d just be joining WV.  Senator count remains the same.  WV is likely losing a House seat (3 to 2) and at best, those new counties keep them at 3.

If just joining WV, it's a stupid idea for them to move to a state that offers zero economic opportunities and no distributed financial support from wealthier areas just so they can have their white supremacists candidates win. 

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So....have you ever MET a Trumpkin?

Unfortunately, a couple of my dearest friends going back to middle school days are, and it pains me immensely. I don't think they're racists, and they make good money.

One lives in FW and sells medical supplies, and the other (so far as I can tell) drives around the oil patch back home to record oil well meters or some such. I dunno. But neither of them actually graduated from college but both likely make more than me.

Texas is the weird anomaly where folks without a degree can still do well because of oil and a booming population. West Virginia doesn't have those advantages, so the people who stay just languish and suffer.

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Poor rural rubes know they have no shot at ever moving up the food chain and honestly I do not believe they want to.

As long as they can see what they consider to be "liberal elites", you know those evil city-dwelling folks who make infinitely more money than they do because they outworked them suffer, then all is well. It's a make them feel as miserable as they feel about life type of thing. They feel empowered due to Dotard's constant hateful rhetoric. It's insanity, but here we are.

They now have internet and cheap HDTVs.   The rural life is even more appealing to them.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately, a couple of my dearest friends going back to middle school days are, and it pains me immensely. I don't think they're racists, and they make good money.
One lives in FW and sells medical supplies, and the other (so far as I can tell) drives around the oil patch back home to record oil well meters or some such. I dunno. But neither of them actually graduated from college but both likely make more than me.
Texas is the weird anomaly where folks without a degree can still do well because of oil and a booming population. West Virginia doesn't have those advantages, so the people who stay just languish and suffer.

It’s weird. My relatively uneducated(but not stupid) Arkansas hillbilly relatives range in age from 24 to 74 and all hate Trump with a passion. Most all of my educated but very religious Houston area relatives hate him too.

Among my “friends” the most ardent Trumpkins are a young Puerto Rico immigrant and a middle aged gay Mexican American married to a Vietnamese immigrant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:16 PM, bolverk said:

I was a paid member for 6mo or so years ago.  I’m dark and before everything went sideways...when you were in you realized how backwards it was.  Openly racist POS

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult