The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

40 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The term Latinx has been around since the mid 2000s.  I first heard it in grad school for my masters in 2009 from one of my professors.  He was Latino.

No is the answer to your Negro question. 

I’m not sure why I quoted this.  Tried to edit my previous post to say that I first heard the term Latinx in 2009. 

Carry on. 

Edited by Pancho

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, my attorney wife likes this one local judge who is R. She appears before him regularly, thinks he rules fairly, blah blah blah. Apparently the winner of the Democratic nom is an asshat who she thinks is dishonest, a bad attorney, whatever.

There was this attorney thing going on at happy hour yesterday, so I went with my wife. That judge was there. We were introduced, and he said something like "Do I have your support in the general."

I said "No."

Conversation went something like:

Judge: "But your wife is supporting my candidacy,  the other guy is not so smart, blah blah blah".

Me: "I will never ever vote for an R again."

Judge: "What? Why?"

Me: "One word: Trump"

Judge: "What, why, this shouldn't be about Trump, I don't like Trump either, blah blah blah."

Me: "Then switch parties to Independent or Democratic and I'll vote for you. I'll even put a sign in my yard, at least until the HOA tells me to take it down."

Judge: "But but I'm a conservative..."

Me (interrupting): "This stopped being about conservative vs liberal three years ago. I'm going to go get another beer."

I have to admit, It felt good to say all that. My wife was not pleased however.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, my attorney wife likes this one local judge who is R. She appears before him regularly, thinks he rules fairly, blah blah blah. Apparently the winner of the Democratic nom is an asshat who she thinks is dishonest, a bad attorney, whatever.

There was this attorney thing going on at happy hour yesterday, so I went with my wife. That judge was there. We were introduced, and he said something like "Do I have your support in the general."

I said "No."

Judge: "But your wife is supporting my candidacy,  the other guy is not so smart, blah blah blah".

Judge: "What, why, this shouldn't be about Trump, I don't like Trump either, blah blah blah."

Me: "Then switch parties to Independent or Democratic and I'll vote for you. I'll even put a sign in my yard, at least until the HOA tells me to take it down."

Me (interrupting): "This stopped being about conservative vs liberal three years ago. I'm going to go get another beer."

You are my hero and a better man than me. 

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I said "No."

R’s need to get this message - you have had years’ worth of opportunities to stand up and do and say something about the cancer that is Trump and the current Republican Party that has enabled him, and have chosen  not to.   you will therefore be voted out.  

every single Republican in this country is complicit in Trump’s criminality and treason.  

• Like 6

On 3/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's clear to me that in the 41 years of my time on this earth, the Republican party has spent the entire time painting themselves into an ideological corner that they cannot escape. These fucking cretins cannot get out of their own way:

Haven't had a chance to review the passed bill, did this get resolved in America's favor or Big Pharma?

15 hours ago, Pancho said:

I'm about to simply begin concluding that any GOP who says homosexuality is a choice says so because they try to make a choice not to be gay.

It's sad and destructive that they choose to persecute gays in order to feel less gay themselves 

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Nor should she be. 

If she has a boss or partners, I wouldn't brag about that exchange to them. Her clients will suffer if she has to appear before that judge. 

Judicial elections are antithetical to the notion of an independent judiciary. See Federalist 78.

Edited by washparkhorn

33 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Nor should she be. 

If she has a boss or partners, I wouldn't brag about that exchange to them. Her clients will suffer if she has to appear before that judge. 

Judicial elections are antithetical to the notion of an independent judiciary. See Federalist 78.

What's been interesting to see is some local bars (attorneys, not drinking) that used to be pretty even-handed in supporting judges of either party, so long as they did a good job, aren't necessarily coming out as OPPOSED to (R) judges.  They're just not showing up for them.  Those judges aren't getting visible support, local campaign contributions, etc., like they used to.  And.....their opponents are getting all of that.

It's interesting because it is indeed a shift from supporting someone who is good for your business in general (lawyers like judges they know, who are predictable, etc.), in order to stand up for some broader political principles.

For example, for years, I've told voters of BOTH parties not to vote on party affiliation, there are good judges from both parties, here they are, vote for them.  Lots of lawyers I know said that.  Not so many are saying that anymore.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

This fuckers are absolutely nuts and actually illustrate why America needs stronger gun laws.

Thanks for helping the cause ya lunatic!

"Come And Take It" is less "I believe Americans should be able to own guns" and more "I really wish I had a paltry excuse to shoot someone."

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I am surprised corporate/billionaire interests haven't consolidated around amending the U.S. Constitution to get Federal Judges elected. With unlimited campaign spending, it has to be tempting. 

Uhhh... Citizens United, Gorsech and Kavanaugh. It's already happened.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This fuckers are absolutely nuts and actually illustrate why America needs stronger gun laws.

So, how does it hanging on his wall help him defend anything? He's surrounded by national security.

Yeah, this is another fucker that needs to be shipped off:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/us/politics/erik-prince-project-veritas.html

Erik Prince, the security contractor with close ties to the Trump administration, has in recent years helped recruit former American and British spies for secretive intelligence-gathering operations that included infiltrating Democratic congressional campaigns, labor organizations and other groups considered hostile to the Trump agenda, according to interviews and documents.

One of the former spies, an ex-MI6 officer named Richard Seddon, helped run a 2017 operation to copy files and record conversations in a Michigan office of the American Federation of Teachers, one of the largest teachers’ unions in the nation. Mr. Seddon directed an undercover operative to secretly tape the union’s local leaders and try to gather information that could be made public to damage the organization, documents show.

Using a different alias the next year, the same undercover operative infiltrated the congressional campaign of Abigail Spanberger, then a former C.I.A. officer who went on to win an important House seat in Virginia as a Democrat. The campaign discovered the operative and fired her.

Spoiler

Both operations were run by Project Veritas, a conservative group that has gained attention using hidden cameras and microphones for sting operations on news organizations, Democratic politicians and liberal advocacy groups. Mr. Seddon’s role in the teachers’ union operation — detailed in internal Project Veritas emails that have emerged from the discovery process of a court battle between the group and the union — has not previously been reported, nor has Mr. Prince’s role in recruiting Mr. Seddon for the group’s activities.

Both Project Veritas and Mr. Prince have ties to President Trump’s aides and family. Whether any Trump administration officials or advisers to the president were involved in the operations, even tacitly, is unclear. But the effort is a glimpse of a vigorous private campaign to try to undermine political groups or individuals perceived to be in opposition to Mr. Trump’s agenda.

Mr. Prince, the former head of Blackwater Worldwide and the brother of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, has at times served as an informal adviser to Trump administration officials. He worked with the former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn during the presidential transition. In 2017, he met with White House and Pentagon officials to pitch a plan to privatize the Afghan war using contractors in lieu of American troops. Jim Mattis, then the defense secretary, rejected the idea.

Mr. Prince appears to have become interested in using former spies to train Project Veritas operatives in espionage tactics sometime during the 2016 presidential campaign. Reaching out to several intelligence veterans — and occasionally using Mr. Seddon to make the pitch — Mr. Prince said he wanted the Project Veritas employees to learn skills like how to recruit sources and how to conduct clandestine recordings, among other surveillance techniques.

James O’Keefe, the head of Project Veritas, declined to answer detailed questions about Mr. Prince, Mr. Seddon and other topics, but he called his group a “proud independent news organization” that is involved in dozens of investigations. He said that numerous sources were coming to the group “providing confidential documents, insights into internal processes and wearing hidden cameras to expose corruption and misconduct.”

“No one tells Project Veritas who or what to investigate,” he said.

A spokesman for Mr. Prince declined to comment. Emails sent to Mr. Seddon went unanswered.

Mr. Prince is under investigation by the Justice Department over whether he lied to a congressional committee examining Russian interference in the 2016 election, and for possible violations of American export laws. Last year, the House Intelligence Committee made a criminal referral to the Justice Department about Mr. Prince, saying he lied about the circumstances of his meeting with a Russian banker in the Seychelles in January 2017.

Once a small operation running on a shoestring budget, Project Veritas in recent years has had a surge in donations from both private donors and conservative foundations. According to its latest publicly available tax filing, Project Veritas received $8.6 million in contributions and grants in 2018. Mr. O’Keefe earned about $387,000.

Last year, the group received a $1 million contribution made through the law firm Alston & Bird, a financial document obtained by The New York Times showed. A spokesman for the firm said that Alston & Bird “has never contributed to Project Veritas on its own behalf, nor is it a client of ours.” The spokesman declined to say on whose behalf the contribution was made.

The financial document also listed the names of others who gave much smaller amounts to Project Veritas last year. Several of them confirmed their donations.

The group has also become intertwined with the political activities of Mr. Trump and his family. The Trump Foundation gave $20,000 to Project Veritas in 2015, the year that Mr. Trump began his bid for the presidency. The next year, during a presidential debate with Hillary Clinton, Mr. Trump claimed without substantiation that videos released by Mr. O’Keefe showed that Mrs. Clinton and President Barack Obama had paid people to incite violence at rallies for Mr. Trump.

In a book published in 2018, Mr. O’Keefe wrote that Mr. Trump years earlier had encouraged him to infiltrate Columbia University and obtain Mr. Obama’s records.

Last month, Project Veritas made public secretly recorded video of a longtime ABC News correspondent who was critical of the network’s political coverage and its emphasis on business considerations over journalism. Many conservatives have gleefully pounded on Project Veritas’s disclosures, including one particularly influential voice: Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son.

The website for Mr. O’Keefe’s coming wedding listed Donald Trump Jr. as an invited guest.

Mr. Prince invited Project Veritas operatives — including Mr. O’Keefe — to his family’s Wyoming ranch for training in 2017, The Intercept reported last year. Mr. O’Keefe and others shared social media photos of taking target practice with guns at the ranch, including one post from Mr. O’Keefe saying that with the training, Project Veritas will be “the next great intelligence agency.” Mr. Prince had hired a former MI6 officer to help train the Project Veritas operatives, The Intercept wrote, but it did not identify the officer.

Mr. Seddon regularly updated Mr. O’Keefe about the operation against the Michigan teachers’ union, according to internal Project Veritas emails, where the language of the group’s leaders is marbled with spy jargon.

They used a code name — LibertyU — for their operative inside the organization, Marisa Jorge, who graduated from Liberty University in Virginia, one of the nation’s largest Christian colleges. Mr. Seddon wrote that Ms. Jorge “copied a great many documents from the file room,” and Mr. O’Keefe bragged that the group would be able to get “a ton more access agents inside the educational establishment.”

The emails refer to other operations, including weekly case updates, along with training activities that involved “operational targeting.” Project Veritas redacted specifics about those operations from the messages.

In August 2017, Ms. Jorge wrote to Mr. Seddon that she had managed to record a local union leader talking about Ms. DeVos and other topics.

“Good stuff,” Mr. Seddon wrote back. “Did you receive the spare camera yet?”

As education secretary, Ms. DeVos has been a vocal critic of teachers’ unions, saying in 2018 that they have a “stranglehold” over politicians at the federal and state levels. She and Mr. Prince grew up in Michigan, where their father made a fortune in the auto parts business.

AFT Michigan sued Project Veritas in federal court, alleging trespassing, eavesdropping and other offenses. The teachers’ union is asking for more than $3 million in damages, accusing the group of being a “vigilante organization which claims to be dedicated to exposing corruption. It is, instead, an entity dedicated to a specific political agenda.”

Project Veritas has said its activities are legal and protected by the First Amendment, and the case is scheduled to go to trial in the fall.

Other Project Veritas employees on the emails include Joe Halderman, an award-winning former television producer who in 2010 pleaded guilty to trying to extort $2 million from the comedian David Letterman. Mr. Halderman was copied on several messages providing updates about the Michigan operation, and in one message, he gave instructions to Ms. Jorge. Project Veritas tax filings list Mr. Halderman as a “project manager.”

Two other employees, Gaz Thomas and Samuel Chamberlain, were also identified in emails and appeared to play important roles in the Michigan operation. Efforts to locate Mr. Thomas were unsuccessful. A man named Samuel Chamberlain who matched the description of the one employed by Mr. O’Keefe denied he worked for Project Veritas. He did not respond to follow-up phone messages or an email.

Last year, Project Veritas submitted a proposed list of witnesses for the trial over the lawsuit. Mr. Chamberlain and Mr. Thomas were on the list. Mr. Seddon was not.

Ms. Jorge, 23, did not respond to email addresses associated with her Liberty University account. In an archived version of her LinkedIn page, Ms. Jorge wrote she had a deep interest in the conservative movement and hoped one day to serve on the Supreme Court after attending law school.

In a YouTube video, Mr. O’Keefe described the lawsuit as “frivolous” and pointed to a portion of the deposition in which David Hecker, the president of AFT Michigan, said that one of the goals of the lawsuit was to “stop Project Veritas from doing the kind of work that it does.”

Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers, said in a statement: “Let’s be clear who the wrongdoer is here: Project Veritas used a fake intern to lie her way into our Michigan office, to steal documents and to spy — and they got caught. We’re just trying to hold them accountable for this industrial espionage.”

In 2018, Ms. Jorge infiltrated the congressional campaign of Ms. Spanberger, posing as a campaign volunteer. At the time, Ms. Spanberger was running to unseat a sitting Republican congressman in a race both parties considered important for control of the House. Ms. Jorge was eventually exposed and kicked out of the campaign office.

It was unclear whether Mr. Seddon was involved in planning that operation.

Mr. Seddon was a longtime British intelligence officer who served around the world, including in Washington in the years after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. He is married to an American diplomat, Alice Seddon, who is serving in the American consulate in Lagos, Nigeria.

Mr. O’Keefe and his group have taken aim at targets over the years including Planned Parenthood, The New York Times, The Washington Post and Democracy Partners, a group that consults with liberal and progressive electoral causes. In 2016, a Project Veritas operative infiltrated Democracy Partners using a fake name and fabricated résumé and made secret recordings of the staff. The year after the sting, Democracy Partners sued Project Veritas, and its lawyers have since deposed Mr. O’Keefe.

In that deposition, Mr. O’Keefe defended the group’s undercover tactics, saying they were part of a long tradition of investigative journalism going back to muckraking reporters like Upton Sinclair. “I’m not ashamed of the methods that we use or the recordings that we use,” he said.

He was asked whether he had provided any of the group’s secret recordings of Democracy Partners to the Republican National Committee or any member of the Trump family. He said that he did not think so.

In 2010, Mr. O’ Keefe and three others pleaded guilty to a federal misdemeanor after admitting they entered a government building in New Orleans under false pretenses as part of a sting.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:16 PM, Bama Chick said:

Beto should just show up there and take it. That guy wouldn't do shit about it except call the police like a little bitch. 

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I never do this, but this twit showed up this way instead of the real way so I actually logged on to find it.  Wanted to know what that last word was.  Monster Truck? Also wanted to see the comments.  It seems this tweet got deleted, but on the bright side Tom Arnold is on there trying out his game.

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I never do this, but this twit showed up this way instead of the real way so I actually logged on to find it.  Wanted to know what that last word was.  Monster Truck? Also wanted to see the comments.  It seems this tweet got deleted, but on the bright side Tom Arnold is on there trying out his game.

they show up that way when they get deleted.  the board must cache the text.

I guess when your (read: Republican party) path to success was to just fucking lie about everything I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that it's eventually all you know how to do. The motherfuckers have lied to themselves and us for so long they can't see their way around them

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I guess when your (read: Republican party) path to success was to just fucking lie about everything I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that it's eventually all you know how to do. The motherfuckers have lied to themselves and us for so long they can't see their way around them

They do what's in their best interest until voters say enough.  Currently, their constituents bend over.  You'd think it'd be enough to look over and see them bending over every member of their family and family's future but nope, they're all in.  Some have even said that as long as some money is thrown their way, they're fine with it and will voluntarily ask for it to continue.  I guess they're so used to it that their fear is of a minority or a female pegging them because that's the only way they can understand government operating.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I just skimmed the article so perhaps this is an ill-informed opinion but if I understand the bill correctly, employers are responsible for the 14 day sick leave? I tend to agree with Alexander on this one...SMBs are about to get absolutely crushed by this pandemic and now they’re supposed to float 2 weeks of sick leave? We can debate the merits of whether our system is completely fucked if people literally can’t afford not to work, but asking small businesses that are about to be crushed to shoulder more of this blow seems misguided.

this seems like a national emergency...let the feds print some free money and hand it out to workers.

• Like 2

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult