The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

The Twitter replies are unbelievable.  Trump's base just accepts whatever he does.  Being friends with North Korea is good. Being friends with our western allies is bad.  40% of this country are losers with no self identity outside of their political team. 

Up is down, wrong is right, so long as Trump says so.

• Like 6

On 3/9/2020 at 7:46 PM, Chooky said:

Maybe try to deal with your own bullshit before you try to drag an entire country through your inner conflicts, you fucking waste of time.  Asshole.

I’m schocked at this development. 

11 hours ago, Tom said:

The Twitter replies are unbelievable.  Trump's base just accepts whatever he does.  Being friends with North Korea is good. Being friends with our western allies is bad.

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

And OANN's Posobiec steps right up to offer fealty to Dear Leader Trump:

China is challenging the U.S. for superpower status and North Korea probably has less economic influence than the city of Galveston. This statement is so absurd I can't even unpack it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, F250 said:

China is challenging the U.S. for superpower status and North Korea probably has less economic influence than the city of Galveston. This statement is so absurd I can't even unpack it.

China has been pouring money into science. Even prior to this administration, more students were not coming to the US from China to study. Some folks believe that to be for the better, but regardless, they have more capable people than in years past. Their method of advancement is still pretty whack, but I would not underestimate them. Between that and the amount of real estate owned in the Americas, our populace needs to pull our heads away from the Kardashians and elect representatives that think an educated informed populace is how one retains superpower status. Right now we are on the path to become more like North Korea but with more people and land. And the WH appears to be working on the more people part by reducing the population this year.

4 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I recall this was a common concern as well in the late 80’s, although then it was the Japanese. 

True, and after their stock market bubble popped we bought everything back from them for pennies on the dollar.  Then turned around and sold everything to the Chinese.

4 hours ago, Mapache said:

Moscow Mitch would love it if RBG passed

Leading up to the election? Suppose Biden wins. What's to stop them from doing that between the election and Biden's inauguration should RBG happen to pass/retire during that window?

Guest Lobo

to be fair, Obama was doing in the last year of his entire presidency, not just an election year.  He was being termed out and it had been a long-standing custom to not appoint justices to courts of appeal and/or SCOTUS during the last year of a second term.  

Now Trump will absolutely try to fill as many judge positions as possible AFTER he has been defeated by Biden and before he leaves office.  77 days.  11 weeks.  That's a long damn time, and it will the most politically trying 11 weeks in our nation in 150 years.  Making a SCOTUS appointment now wouldn't be that crazy, considering we're still 8.5 months out to he leaves office.  But anything beyond that is insanity, but he'll try it anyway.  I have a bad feeling that she or Breyer will die between the election and inauguration day.  Only good news is I think Trump dies in September.

Leading up to the election? Suppose Biden wins. What's to stop them from doing that between the election and Biden's inauguration should RBG happen to pass/retire during that window?
Nothing. Lame ducks need to be eliminated.

to be fair, Obama was doing in the last year of his entire presidency, not just an election year.  He was being termed out and it had been a long-standing custom to not appoint justices to courts of appeal and/or SCOTUS during the last year of a second term.  
Now Trump will absolutely try to fill as many judge positions as possible AFTER he has been defeated by Biden and before he leaves office.  77 days.  11 weeks.  That's a long damn time, and it will the most politically trying 11 weeks in our nation in 150 years.  Making a SCOTUS appointment now wouldn't be that crazy, considering we're still 8.5 months out to he leaves office.  But anything beyond that is insanity, but he'll try it anyway.  I have a bad feeling that she or Breyer will die between the election and inauguration day.  Only good news is I think Trump dies in September.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurmond_rule

Although described by experts as a myth, the "rule" has been inconsistently invoked by senators from both political parties, usually when politically advantageous to do so.

I don't know how legit that is and I definitely think it's a dumb custom regardless. Ultimately it's the GOP's prerogative to appoint judges right now. We're seeing what happens when they have a blank check to do so, and we'll be reminded of it for a generation. Progressives need to take that shit more seriously.

Of course, where the hypothetical "but Obama" falls through here is that the GOP controlled the Senate in his last year. He couldn't appoint anyone they didn't consent to. Any Obama appointees in his last two years were by definition bipartisan given that they cleared a GOP senate.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

WTF on that last tweet?  Before the virus they thought he was a shoo-in or what?

Yep.  Before Covid 19 Trump and his team thought 2020 was going to be very winnable and even considered themselves the heavy favorites.

Astonishingly, the bettering markets still give Trump better odds at winning the election in November...even now.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/3698/Who-will-win-the-2020-US-presidential-election

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult