The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

I guess the only new thing we know about the Republican party is that will tolerate any amount of dead citizenry to pretend things are going well and to give their POLITICAL party a chance in November via the usual deception, misinformation and outright lies the party has made their brand.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Lol

Oh Hugo, you're adorable.  It's not Electoral College tomfoolery meant to tilt things away from the Democrats.  It's to tilt whatever is leftover back to Republicans.  

It's a Nuclear Option in case it strongly appears that the Democrats are going to retake the State House of Reps and the Republicans maintain control of the State Senate (and both of those appear to be on their way to happening as of right now).  This will at least enable them, through this senatorial district mechanism, despite overall popular votes in the state quite possibly tilting blue in 2022, to maintain the Governor, Lt. Gov., RRC, GLO, et. al.  Otherwise, many of those positions are now looking to be in serious play in 2022.  They kinda want to see what happens in 2020, but this is "In case of fire, pull lever" mechanism designed to ensure that if they keep their Senate majority, which seems very possible, they'll get to still elect themselves to all statewide offices in 2022. 

It's actually clever, in my humble opinion.  For all Texas has done for the national GOP, they are not going to go quietly down with the Trump ship after all.  Dan Patrick is behind this, so I think it's got a chance but the majority of the delegates there think Texas is gonna stay solid red for another generation so they'll find it confusing and unecessary, so it probably doesn't make it in.  

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Republican on Republican violence. You hate to see it.

Well, so long as there are Republicans who haven't sworn their complete and total devotion to and faith in God, the party needs purification.

And by "God," we of course mean "Trump."  That's it.  That's the only criterion for GOP purity.

This is a great NY Times article about what Trump is doing to the Republican party:

Once-reticent Republican governors are now issuing orders on mask-wearing and business restrictions that run counter to Mr. Trump’s demands. Some of those governors have been holding late-night phone calls among themselves to trade ideas and grievances; they have sought out partners in the administration other than the president, including Vice President Mike Pence, who, despite echoing Mr. Trump in public, is seen by governors as far more attentive to the continuing disaster.

“The president got bored with it,” David Carney, an adviser to the Texas governor, Greg Abbott, a Republican, said of the pandemic. He noted that Mr. Abbott directs his requests to Mr. Pence, with whom he speaks two to three times a week.

A handful of Republican lawmakers in the Senate have privately pressed the administration to bring back health briefings led by figures like Dr. Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx, who regularly updated the public during the spring until Mr. Trump upstaged them with his own briefing-room monologues. And in his home state of Kentucky last week, Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, broke with Mr. Trump on nearly every major issue related to the virus.

Mr. McConnell stressed the importance of mask-wearing, expressed “total” confidence in Dr. Fauci and urged Americans to follow guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that Mr. Trump has ignored or dismissed.

“The straight talk here that everyone needs to understand is: This is not going away until we get a vaccine,” Mr. McConnell said on Wednesday, contradicting Mr. Trump’s rosy predictions.

The result is a quiet but widening breach between Mr. Trump and leading figures in his party, as the virus burns through major political battlegrounds in the South and the West, like in the states of Arizona, Texas and Georgia.

Amid mounting alarm in a huge portion of the country, Mr. Trump has at times appeared to inhabit a different universe, incorrectly predicting the outbreak would quickly dissipate and falsely claiming the spread of the virus was simply a function of increased testing. With his impatient demands and decrees, Mr. Trump has disrupted efforts to mitigate the crisis while effectively sidelining himself from participating in those efforts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/as-trump-ignores-virus-crisis-republicans-start-to-break-ranks/ar-BB16W1rh?ocid=msedgdhp

In Washington State, we have a number of candidates who are running for Governor. For Republicans, there are those who've stated they are "Republicans", there are those who've stated they are "Pre-2016 Republicans", and there are those who say they are "Trump-Republicans".

That's really all you need to know about the state of the GOP- that people feel compelled to denote whether or not they feel tied to the leadership legacy of our current president. Again, the guy currently in the White House is having folks distance themselves in his own party.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 11:42 AM, Lobo said:

Oh Hugo, you're adorable.  It's not Electoral College tomfoolery meant to tilt things away from the Democrats.  It's to tilt whatever is leftover back to Republicans.  

It's a Nuclear Option in case it strongly appears that the Democrats are going to retake the State House of Reps and the Republicans maintain control of the State Senate (and both of those appear to be on their way to happening as of right now).  This will at least enable them, through this senatorial district mechanism, despite overall popular votes in the state quite possibly tilting blue in 2022, to maintain the Governor, Lt. Gov., RRC, GLO, et. al.  Otherwise, many of those positions are now looking to be in serious play in 2022.  They kinda want to see what happens in 2020, but this is "In case of fire, pull lever" mechanism designed to ensure that if they keep their Senate majority, which seems very possible, they'll get to still elect themselves to all statewide offices in 2022. 

It's actually clever, in my humble opinion.  For all Texas has done for the national GOP, they are not going to go quietly down with the Trump ship after all.  Dan Patrick is behind this, so I think it's got a chance but the majority of the delegates there think Texas is gonna stay solid red for another generation so they'll find it confusing and unecessary, so it probably doesn't make it in.  

It require 2/3 of the Texas House to pass a constitutional amendment. That ain’t happening and this is just the Texas Republican Party blowing a bunch of hot air. It’s dumb. 

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I was just coming here to post this, and my first thought was: " I wonder what they are trying to obfuscate and hide by him doing this."

You know that was done to influence the chatter. So what (besides a briefing this afternoon) is fixing to go down or went down? Forget COVID, Trump couldn't care less so what is it? The incident in NJ with the judge and her family? Chicago and the DHS? The E.O. and DACA? What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Does he have lifts in his shoes, too?  Zoom in and those soles look about 4 inches thick.

Nah man.

That's just your run of the mill old dude shoe.

You just don't recognize it in its natural habitat:

7856f8d719cfa0e98996d72552ecb03e--bad-fa

Dark Side Leader is on fire (he retweeted this).  Actually, it's possible he doesn't pay much attention to detail.  Scratch that, he doesn't pay any attention to detail.  Or satire.

Edited by Bullneck

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Guest appearance of Austin’s own invisible congressman roger Williams in that article, just confirming his invisibility.  

Yep.  That's my rep.  Bang up job, asshole.  

Williams, who was in a position to hear the entire back-and-forth, said he wasn't paying it any mind.

"I was actually thinking, as I was walking down the stairs, I was thinking about some issues I've got in my district that need to get done," Williams said. 

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Guest appearance of Austin’s own invisible congressman roger Williams in that article, just confirming his invisibility.  

I love the quote from the article: "I was actually thinking, as I was walking down the stairs, I was thinking about some issues I've got in my district that need to get done," Williams said. "I don't know what their topic was. There's always a topic, isn't there?"

Invisible brain doing some invisible thinking right there.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Ack----Biff read my mind.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I love the quote from the article: "I was actually thinking, as I was walking down the stairs, I was thinking about some issues I've got in my district that need to get done," Williams said. "I don't know what their topic was. There's always a topic, isn't there?"

yea, the obvious followup is "What issues?", but our press corp sucks. 

Hmm.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/07/21/ohio-bribery-case-state-official-charged-federal-prosecutors/5477862002/

Federal officials arrested Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and four others on Tuesday morning in connection with a $60 million bribery case.

U.S. Attorney David DeVillers' office would not discuss details of the case, but a source involved in the investigation confirmed Householder's arrest to The Enquirer.

Also arrested, according to the source: Neil Clark, founder of Grant Street Consultants and once called by USA Today “one of the best-connected lobbyists in Columbus;” former Ohio Republican Party chair and consultant Matthew Borges; Juan Cespedes, co-founder of The Oxley Group in Columbus; and Jeffrey Longstreth, adviser to Householder. 

A spokeswoman for DeVillers said an Ohio official and associates were charged in the case, which she described as a "public corruption racketeering conspiracy involving $60 million." DeVillers has scheduled a 2:30 p.m. press conference to discuss the case.

Householder is one of the biggest names in Ohio politics and has been a major player for years in the state's Republican Party. He's known as an aggressive fundraiser who doesn't shy away from hardball tactics on the campaign trail or in the statehouse.

He first served as Ohio's House speaker from 2001 to 2004. The FBI launched an investigation in 2004 into allegations that Householder and his aides took kickbacks from vendors and traded legislation for campaign contributions. The investigation ended in 2006 with no charges filed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I despise everything Liz Cheney stands for. She’s getting ganged up on by the assholes she chose to align with so I don’t feel particularly sorry for her.

The misogynistic old boys club sure is shitty, ain’t it Liz?

But at least she's not backing down.  The spinelessness of the R's to stand up to Trump's asinine behavior and call him out on it is going to drag the whole lot of them into the bog permanently.

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In all seriousness, what a pussy. I'm not saying it's his job to defend her positions or that she can't defend herself, but I'm astonished that a male Texan of that generation would just stand there while his friend speaks to a woman that way in public, let alone a colleague. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I despise everything Liz Cheney stands for. She’s getting ganged up on by the assholes she chose to align with so I don’t feel particularly sorry for her.

Ya know, I enjoyed the hell out of Reggie McNeal lighting up OU for 4 TDs, despite the fact that I can't stand the dude and that lame ass program that he played for. But I have no regrets enjoying the hell out of it.

I think I won’t give her any quarter because we’re both women.

She sells the rest of us out for power and the opportunity of being a token woman in the Republican Party.

She allied herself with a bunch of misogynists. She thought she would be special or immune to that because her last name is Cheney.

Cozy up with rabid dogs, you’ll get bit sooner or later. She knew who they were.

• Like 2

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult