Anthropoid

TwiceHorn

This is running on Showtime right now.  I had thought it was a sci-fi flick.  Instead it's the story of Czech "commandos" that assassinated Reinhard Heydrich in Prague in 1942 in "Operation Anthropoid."  True story, accurate-ish flick.  Pretty decent.  Cillian Murphy and Toby Jones, among others.

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I like it, but it seems a bit slow in it's pace and dialog.  I'll watch it again.

Fair criticism. I suppose I was a bit extra intrigued by the fact that it was Czech/Slovaks (I believe they picke one of each), in Bohemia/Moravia, rather than just your standard Brits and Americans vs. Nazis.  I'm kind of a fool for historical things that are a little off the beaten path.

And yeah, Heydrich was the architect, apparently, of The FInal Solution.  I had forgotten that he was sent to administer Czechoslovakia, where he became known as the "Butcher of Prague" among other names.  He was apparently an excellent administrator of torture, terror, and death.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair criticism. I suppose I was a bit extra intrigued by the fact that it was Czech/Slovaks (I believe they picke one of each), in Bohemia/Moravia, rather than just your standard Brits and Americans vs. Nazis.  I'm kind of a fool for historical things that are a little off the beaten path.

And yeah, Heydrich was the architect, apparently, of The FInal Solution.  I had forgotten that he was sent to administer Czechoslovakia, where he became known as the "Butcher of Prague" among other names.  He was apparently an excellent administrator of torture, terror, and death.

Yeah I did like the non Brit-American angle, and the story line about some in the resistance who didn't want them to kill him for fear of reprisals on the entire city.  I like the actor in the lead. 

When I lived in Prague I used to take visitors to the church where the commandos were tracked down and killed - it still has all of the thousands of bullet marks on it as a badge of honor.

Sometimes I'd also take them to the village north of Praha where Hitler order the reprisal.  Every single male (regardless of age) in the village was rounded up and gunned down in from of the females.  The Czech's simply razed the entire town down to nothing and left a memorial marker.

After WWII the Russians spent decades terrorizing the Czechs with fear tactics.

Czechs hold a lot of grudges, but love Americans (especially Patton).

• 1 year later...