The movie you just watched

F250

I watched (the original) Point Break today.   Seen it a million times and still love it, but what I find really hilarious about that movie is at the end where Johnny Utah lets Bodie go to ride the wave in the 100 year storm.   Bodie tells Johnny he has been waiting his whole life for this.   Then precedes to only get up on the wave for about 10 feet before eating ass and drowning.   He was only up for like 2 seconds. 

“If you want the ultimate”
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Incredibly entertaining comedy, now available on Netflix. Eddie Murphy knocked it out of the park on this one.

Eddie Murphy is back. Wesley Snipes stole some scenes,  but Wesley Snipes has been back, see What We Do in the Shadows. 

The similarities between the film and Bowfinger are remarkable. Credit to Murphy for going back to what works. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 2 weeks later...

Black k Klansman

We liked it. I'd leave out the jump to the present time at the end, but I thought it was very solid in its consideration of prejudice with a focus on taking people as individuals. Great cast. Spike Lee's path as a filmmaker has been very interesting. I don't think he could have made such a good movie on this topic 20 years ago.

edit: I make it sound like a dissertation on film. It's actually quite entertaining from the wit of the characters and the tensions that build.

Edited by RomaVicta

The Conversation - 1974

So weird that this was done the same year they released Godfather Part 2.   This one feels slow, and dated as heck.  Hackman's slow burn is affective.  But slow.

I'm pretty much very much hit or miss on the Coppola catalogue  complete buy in on the big ones, and a big love for Rumblefish and the Outsiders, and the goofy Peggy Sue,   But a lot in there that I don't get. 

Anyway, in the film, this guy is smart:

convo7.jpg

On 10/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, RPM said:

In the Electric Mist - Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, Peter Sarsgaard, Mary Steenburgen. Set in Iberia Parish, La, Jones is a recovered alcoholic police detective chasing a serial killer and his own ghosts. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

The book is much, much better. 

On 11/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Watched this last night. And yes, it was as bad as I remembered, although, a young Mimi Rogers was quite easy on the eyes.

It was a totally forgettable movie.  The only thing I remember about the movie Gung Ho is the scene where the Americans and Japanese are standing around a model of Camaro and a wheel falls off.  I was in high school when this movie was released.  I remember that scene vividly because roughly a week after i saw this movie in the theater, the school day ended and everyone was hopping in their cars and leaving the school parking lot.  One of my good friends was a couple of cars in front of me in the line to leave the parking lot in his IROC Z.  He turned left out of the parking lot and in the middle of the turn, the front left wheel broke off the axle and rolled into field across the street.  It wasn't really funny, but I laughed my ass off while thinking about that ridiculous scene from the movie.

Just watched the series Generations War. 
Produced in Germany about 5 young German friends that go their separate ways in the early stages of WW2.  Think of the war spreading East into Russia.   Kind of a German Band of Brothers/The Pacific. Well produced stories with plenty of action. 

20 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I personally think water straight from the Ganges is not good for fever, but that's just a personal preference.

I wouldn't say that. I'm sure there's a near 100% chance you get a fever if you drink it.

I watched Zoo the other night.  Based upon a true story about a young man (16?  18?  not sure his age) in Northern Ireland that steals a baby elephant from the local zoo (his father had worked there as a vet before being drafted) during WW2.  Authorities were slaughtering the zoo animals after Belfast had been hit by bombing raids to ensure they wouldn't get loose and harm people.

The movie held my interest in spite of it's flaws.  Couldn't understand the dialogue at times because of thick accents, but that was infrequent and it was always easy to figure out what I missed.

I'd say it's a good family movie, but one of the main characters, a really nice girl, ends up getting killed during a bombing raid (not graphically, but the emotional impact is felt), so if you watch it with your kids, be prepared to talk to them about mourning a loss.

Frozen 2 with the fam and, god help me, the PITA inlaws at Alamo Drafthouse.

The movie was actually pretty fun, but the music wasn't quite as good as the last one.  Noteable exception was one amusing 80s music video-inspired song.

The PITA in-inlaws, despite loving movies and being warned in advance, got quite bitchty once they realized we were "actually" eating there.  Being from LA (San Fernando valley) they have a hard time with any meal that isn't soup and salad or brunch.  They also like asking the waiter for their opinion on practically every menu item. So, they were a joy. 

Frozen 2: 4/5

PITA in-laws: 0/5 Please go home.  

Edited by Chewy's Hairy Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I want to personally say "fuck you" to every person, thing, and circumstance that conspired to keeping me from seeing "Once Upon a Time in the West" until tonight.

how is that even possible?

tenor.gif?itemid=5446367

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood; what a fantastic movie. Leo was amazing. Brad Pitt rules. Leo is an amazing actor who does things that Brad Pitt can't do which makes me think he's better but then Brad Pitt's awesome abilities are such that Leo can't pull them off. They were great. Loved this movie.

• Like 1