The movie you just watched

F250

Saw Blocked today at the theater. Actually funnier than I thought it would be, bit I love Leslie Mann. And the girl who played John Cena's daughter was really good as well.

Wasn't as good as the Rotten Tom rating but I enjoyed it for what it was. And I love Leslie Mann. Did I mention I love Leslie Mann?

Lost in Translation.  Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson.  Fantastic opening scene.

Didn't really appreciate this movie when I first saw it in my early 30s but fast forward about 15 years and parts of it make a lot more sense.  Was rolling at having carpet swatches fedexed to him from home.  Been there for sure.  

Finally watched Capote with Philip Seymour Hoffman yesterday. Now I am very interested in reading In Cold Blood, the first "nonfiction novel" and Capote's last and most famous novel. Interesting film and excellent performance by Hoffman. R.I.P. a very talented one.

Then I ended up watching Dallas Buyers Club (currently free on Netflix). I was more impressed with Jared Leto's role than Matthew McConaughey's role. I guess the extra effort that Leto had to put into playing a transgender individual dying of AIDS - granted both of lost significant weight to play sick cachetic patients was a dedication on their parts. I didn't realize that McConaughey and Leto won Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively, by the MPAA (Oscar), SAG, and Boston Globe (trifecta of sorts). That, too, accomplished while acting in an independent film. How crazy is that?

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Finally watched Capote with Philip Seymour Hoffman yesterday. Now I am very interested in reading In Cold Blood, the first "nonfiction novel" and Capote's last and most famous novel. Interesting film and excellent performance by Hoffman. R.I.P. a very talented one.

If you enjoyed PSH in Capote, you might want to watch Infamous, which came out the following year.  It's another movie about Truman Capote and what he went through researching and writing In Cold Blood.  As good as PSH was in Capote, I thought Toby Jones was even better in Infamous.

And, yes, do read In Cold Blood.  It's a fantastic book, even though its claim to be the first "nonfiction novel" was bullshit.  (There is a tremendous amount of evidence that Capote manipulated or altered facts to suit his purposes, but that doesn't diminish the overall power and grace of the work, IMO.)

Watched a German movie from 2015 titled "Look Who's Back" on Netflix. A darkly comedic (mostly) take on "what if Hitler came back today." Some revealing, allegedly-unscripted scenes with this iteration of "Hitler" interacting with various Germans. Highly recommended.

17 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

friday night i watched Airport 75.

i bought the Airport 4-pack at christmas.

i'll report back after watching '77 and '79.

i don't even remember seeing '79; plot line: concorde can't land, flies in to space.

Love me some 70s Disaster movies and the first 3 Airport movies, never had any interest in watching '79.  I saw that 4 pack recently and may have to go out and get it myself. 

The original was hard to beat, but '75 was a close second just for Chuck Heston's ultra macho performance, baby. The Concorde one is unwatchable.

In the Heat of the Night is solid gold. Portier's overacting is kept to a minimum and is a perfect pairing with Steiger. 

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

LA Confidential.

So great and so packed with great actors.

With the much ballyhooed mass exodus, it is actually available on Netflix now...

Phantom Thread.

NB:  I'm a huge DDL fan and PT Anderson fan.

I thought it was amazing.  Great acting - I can't believe this was DDL last film.  Really nice cinematography and camera moves - the car/driving shots were interesting/different.  The shot where they were driving together and the camera is looking into windshield and they'd mounted lights on the rear of the car illuminating the city as they pass it - amazing.  Even the shaky "go-pro" style camera mount on the earlier driving shots were great.

Story was great - 2 virtually tragically flawed characters.  I'm not even sure how the end came about, it certainly escalated quickly.  I'll steer away from omelettes for awhiles.  But I'd watch it again in a heartbeat to further dissect it.  

Soundtrack was lovely, as expected.

21 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Phantom Thread.

NB:  I'm a huge DDL fan and PT Anderson fan.

I thought it was amazing.  Great acting - I can't believe this was DDL last film.  Really nice cinematography and camera moves - the car/driving shots were interesting/different.  The shot where they were driving together and the camera is looking into windshield and they'd mounted lights on the rear of the car illuminating the city as they pass it - amazing.  Even the shaky "go-pro" style camera mount on the earlier driving shots were great.

Story was great - 2 virtually tragically flawed characters.  I'm not even sure how the end came about, it certainly escalated quickly.  I'll steer away from omelettes for awhiles.  But I'd watch it again in a heartbeat to further dissect it.  

Soundtrack was lovely, as expected.

I'm chalking this one up to "I'm not worthy".  I liked it but there was nothing about it that made me love it like I have every other PTA film (except Inherent Vice -- which I just could not make it through.)

Will put it away and watch in a few years and watch more carefully.

The Winning Season - Sam Rockwell vehicle, never heard of it but nice little movie, pretty typical cliched sports movie but enjoyed it nonetheless. 

That's a good one. I also like the one that he runs the water park but can't remember the name of it

Finding Forrester.

Underrated flick in which my family insists Connery's character portrays an older Slorch...LOL.

The climax scene( giggle) still brings a tear to my eye every time.  I know it's coming and I still just want to yell, "FUCK YEAH!!!"  when it happens.  That value in humanity is so hard to find these days.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, Parliament said:

Den of Thieves is pure cheese, with plot holes big enough to drive an armored truck through. It's a seriously retarded knockoff of Heat.

But so what. I liked it.

This. Gerard Butler was actually sorta good in this chewing up scenery like a mofo. But the plot fucking holes. One of the dumbest to me, main bad guy gets out of prison. Goes to a pistol range, shoots his pistol. Super cop strolls in, shoots his pistol a few bays away. Hey why not just arrest the fucker for a parole violation.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, UDontKnow said:

I just watched Full Metal Jacket for the first time. I believe I was about 3 years old when the movie came out and for whatever reason, never got around to seeing it. 

If that movie came out today, it would still be a hit. 

My God, son.  You have lived a deprived life.

(And you are correct that it would be a hit if released today.)

On 4/25/2018 at 12:49 AM, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

Lost in Translation.  Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannson.  Fantastic opening scene.

Didn't really appreciate this movie when I first saw it in my early 30s but fast forward about 15 years and parts of it make a lot more sense.  Was rolling at having carpet swatches fedexed to him from home.  Been there for sure.  

Same here. I passed on it originally because it felt as if I was unable to grasp what the writers were trying to say.

Fast forward to my late 50’s and it checked every box in my own life. I still am unable to say exactly what it is about Bill and Scarlett’s interaction that grabs me. But there is a level of despair that I identify with. And I’m not so sure that is a good thing.

21 hours ago, Robin Masters said:

This. Gerard Butler was actually sorta good in this chewing up scenery like a mofo. But the plot fucking holes. One of the dumbest to me, main bad guy gets out of prison. Goes to a pistol range, shoots his pistol. Super cop strolls in, shoots his pistol a few bays away. Hey why not just arrest the fucker for a parole violation.

Or when Butler goes to the Japanese restaurant and fucks with everyone, especially HIS OWN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANT.

Or the bank safe directly over a giant sewer.