The movie you just watched

F250

Piranha (1976) - Roger Corman realized that Jaws was not going to be good for business since now the major studios were doing what he was doing at his production company, but with much larger budgets, so he decided to cash in on the Things In The Water That Can Kill You craze with Piranha.  Directed by Joe Dante of Gremlins fame.  Government engineered piranhas get loose in a lake near a summer camp and a resort.  Good stuff. 

Edited by Continental Op

Hale County This Morning, This Evening

Beautifully shot but it's not really a traditional type of documentary. You just show up in the middle of the lives of people in this Alabama town and there is no linear story. I lost interest in it pretty fast. Might be one of the worst documentaries to ever be nominated for an Academy Award. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:26 AM, Al Czervik said:

Just watched the series Generations War. 
Produced in Germany about 5 young German friends that go their separate ways in the early stages of WW2.  Think of the war spreading East into Russia.   Kind of a German Band of Brothers/The Pacific. Well produced stories with plenty of action. 

its a badass series

Beirut.

I enjoyed it.  The story is fast paced but somehow manages to communicate a lot of backstory in a few scenes at the beginning.  I thought it was a pretty good job of storytelling.  Jon Hamm was excellent as the lead.  It's a dark story though.  Definitely not your typical Hollywood feel good flick.

Marriage Story (2019)

This got some accolades.   Felt unrealistic until I recognized that I've never been in a divorce, and am not a playwright or actor,  so at that point I let it go.  Apart from some great comic potential regarding Ray Liotta, it just never really caught fire.  But solid, I think.

Just watched the series Generations War. 
Produced in Germany about 5 young German friends that go their separate ways in the early stages of WW2.  Think of the war spreading East into Russia.   Kind of a German Band of Brothers/The Pacific. Well produced stories with plenty of action. 

Yep, started watching it at 10pm one night and ran through it by sunrise

Watched one movie and finished another movie that live on opposite ends of the artistic merit spectrum:

Son of Blob - This month's entry in the AGFA Secret Screening series at Alamo Drafthouse.  A sequel to The Blob directed by Larry Hagman, which makes it the movie that JR shot.  This was Hagman's lone directorial effort for the big screen and that's not too surprising after seeing this.  

Now, Voyager - Started last night.  Finished tonight.  Overwrought melodrama, but Davis makes it work.  

On 12/28/2018 at 7:45 PM, ClubWhatever said:

The Favourite.  Rachel Weisz is really good.  The whole thing is diabolical. 

Watched this last night. 
My thoughts:
Bitches man bitches. 
Made me read up on Queen Anne, legitimately crazy, must be the water or inbreeding. 
Emma Watsons nipples are larger than expected. 
Worth watching only once. 

Decision Before Dawn. A mostly forgotten film that lost the 1951 Best Picture Oscar to An American in Paris. A German POW is recruited as a spy for the OSS and is sent on a mission to Germany to gather intel. A very, very good film with predominately European actors you've never heard of.

Currently in rotation on FXM.

Edited by RPM

Black Christmas (1974) - Olivia Hussy of Romeo and Juliet fame and Margot Kidder of living in a refrigerator box fame are sorority sisters who are being harassed by an obscene phone caller who starts picking off members of their sorority.  No boobs which seems odd for a 1970s horror movie set in a sorority house. 

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood - The girl(actor) who sold the Acid laced cigarette, was BB from Kill Bill vol 2.  I can get why people didn't like it.  Too bad the ending could have not been reality.

A lot of people absolutely loved it, me included.  I thought it was absolutely perfect.  We had a pretty good thread about it on here