The movie you just watched

F250

On 12/30/2019 at 6:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

FX's Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce is brilliant. They've taken one of my favorite classic stories and brought it to life in a singularly deft way.

Time  has made given the story too much to jolly caricature and removed the edge that I believe Dickens intended. That's back. The creative team also explores some motivations quite well.

This movie was a great surprise.

We enjoyed it very much as well. Scrooge was much darker in this one, to good effect.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

@tantric superman Stalker has been on my watchlist  on Criterion Channel for quite some time but I'm having trouble getting myself to dig in and suck down 3 more hours of Tarkovsky.  Was it worth watching even thought you didn't "get it"?

I checked out Shivers this morning.  It is bonkers even by Cronenberg standards and, per usual for Cronenberg, there's a bunch of crazy ideas in there that I haven't quite been able to walk myself through quite yet. 

33 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

@tantric superman Stalker has been on my watchlist  on Criterion Channel for quite some time but I'm having trouble getting myself to dig in and suck down 3 more hours of Tarkovsky.  Was it worth watching even thought you didn't "get it"?

Boy that's tough.  It actually is my first Tarkovsky.

If a filmmaker's audacity gives you a kick "ha ha, he really is going to make me watch a two minutes of these guys standing still in a forest!" then you might enjoy it.  It is a pretty movie.  I think if you are into some of the cinematography he does some interesting things, although I don't think I know enough about the technical aspect to really appreciate it.   Some individual images are beautiful.

I'd keep it in the queue, and when you feel like watching what is the equivalent of a half-marathon, give it a shot.

I saw Uncut Gems over the holidays.  Man, what a beating.  It was good, but I did not enjoy the experience.  I was literally rooting for Sandler's character to get murdered just so I wouldn't have to watch him continue to make stupid decisions.  The entire movie was loud and extremely frantic.  After an hour I was desperately looking for a nice quiet moment where nothing was happening.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more watching at home where I could take occasional breaks.  It was just too much for my old ass.  

I'm starting to think my movie viewing has changed considerably over the past 20 years.  In 1999, when I was an insufferable movie snob, I think I'd have enjoyed this movie.  Now, I just can't stand watching movies about fucking losers making bad decisions the entire time.  It reminded me how I felt when I walked out of White Boy Rick.  I couldn't find a thread on this movie but I'm curious what other people thought of this movie.  

edit:  I did a search and, though there isn't a thread for the movie, most of the comments I read from this thread pretty much thought the same thing.  

Edited by Go Pokes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I saw Uncut Gems over the holidays.  Man, what a beating.  It was good, but I did not enjoy the experience.  I was literally rooting for Sandler's character to get murdered just so I wouldn't have to watch him continue to make stupid decisions.  The entire movie was loud and extremely frantic.  After an hour I was desperately looking for a nice quiet moment where nothing was happening.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more watching at home where I could take occasional breaks.  It was just too much for my old ass.  

I'm starting to think my movie viewing has changed considerably over the past 20 years.  In 1999, when I was an insufferable movie snob, I think I'd have enjoyed this movie.  Now, I just can't stand watching movies about fucking losers making bad decisions the entire time.  It reminded me how I felt when I walked out of White Boy Rick.  I couldn't find a thread on this movie but I'm curious what other people thought of this movie.  

edit:  I did a search and, though there isn't a thread for the movie, most of the comments I read from this thread pretty much thought the same thing.  

Almost word-for-word. I generally like Sandler, and thought his acting here was fine, he played a part I hadn't really seen him in before, and was serious the entire damn movie, but it was indeed a beating. It seemed like they were force-feeding him these frantic scenes so he could do his trademark yell and make some noise, which didn't really add much to the movie. I'm also not a fan of being thrown into the shit without a second to even get to know the characters. The pacing was odd as hell. Had no idea why I was supposed to care about his mistress when they gave her a big scene, and by the end of the movie I was also relieved with the twist.

I agree the experience was not enjoyable, I didn't actually enjoy sitting there watching the movie, and that seems like a cardinal sin in movie-making, but to call the movie itself "good" is also not something I'd be willing to say. The story/script was ok at best, imo.

4 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I’m not smart enough to know what this means.

The harmonium was one of the rackets in the loud yet quiet Punch Drunk Love, Sandler's best ever movie.  I really liked what PTA did with the sound in Punch Drunk, but it stressed me out.

I saw Good Time, which was directed by the Uncut Gems director, and it was a fucking jackhammer to the head.

19 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The harmonium was one of the rackets in the loud yet quiet Punch Drunk Love, Sandler's best ever movie.  I really liked what PTA did with the sound in Punch Drunk, but it stressed me out.

I saw Good Time, which was directed by the Uncut Gems director, and it was a fucking jackhammer to the head.

Holy shit, I left the movie thinking of Good Time, which I streamed years ago on my laptop. I don't remember much about the movie other than it was average, but super chaotic and trying to be "edgy" with all the street shit. It's allllll making sense now.

Only Angles Have Wings (1939)

tumblr_p8vpveZwPs1wq23t5o1_400.gifv

One of the greatest old flicks with one giant flaw.  I thought Jean Arthur (not the above smoking broad) was terrible in the movie.  In a way she was perfect, because no one took her seriously, but there was just nothing there.  I think a different female lead might have made this movie a whole lot more interesting.   But I guess it was a film about the flying.

Although there have been tons of remakes, this strikes me as something that would make an excellent remake, giving a whole lot of young actors a chance to shine and making some really cool flying scenes that much cooler.

American Factory (2019)

Saw it get a lot of buzz as a potential Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary and it lived up to the hype. Great story about a Chinese company who buys a shut down factory in Ohio and the story of how these 2 cultures collide. Lots of anti-union sentiment in the latter half of the movie but otherwise stays out of the way while we observe this community trying to forge a relationship with this company and their Chinese workers. Very enjoyable film. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, tantric superman said:

Only Angles Have Wings (1939)

tumblr_p8vpveZwPs1wq23t5o1_400.gifv

One of the greatest old flicks with one giant flaw.  I thought Jean Arthur (not the above smoking broad) was terrible in the movie.  In a way she was perfect, because no one took her seriously, but there was just nothing there.  I think a different female lead might have made this movie a whole lot more interesting.   But I guess it was a film about the flying.

Although there have been tons of remakes, this strikes me as something that would make an excellent remake, giving a whole lot of young actors a chance to shine and making some really cool flying scenes that much cooler.

Only Angels Have Wings is one of my all time favorites. Calling Baranca! I gotta disagree with your assessment of Jean Arthur. She's a sweetheart. Kinda naive, kinda road smart, all sexy. While she didn't have the smoldering sexuality of Rita, she could hold her own. And that voice could just melt you.

Been on a baseball movie kick this weekend with Major League, League of Their Own, Moneyball and stumbled across a new one on Amazon called Bottom of the 9th. Guy from The Bronx gets a MLB contract then kills a guy in a fight and goes to prison for 9 years. When he gets out his old Minor League coach gives him a shot at redemption. Not great, not bad. Joe Manganiello and Sofia Vergara.

Edited by RPM

I have to accept my opinion isn't popular on Jean Arthur in Only Angels.  I didn't want a whole lot more, just someone a bit more intriguing.  If not a sex pot, just someone who might have been more interesting to Cary Grant.  Kate Hepburn, Stanwick maybe someone lower key but who had an edge that might have truly captured the imagination of someone as focused on other shit as Grant. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:45 AM, HRSchenker said:

American Factory (2019)

Saw it get a lot of buzz as a potential Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary and it lived up to the hype. Great story about a Chinese company who buys a shut down factory in Ohio and the story of how these 2 cultures collide. Lots of anti-union sentiment in the latter half of the movie but otherwise stays out of the way while we observe this community trying to forge a relationship with this company and their Chinese workers. Very enjoyable film. 

Very good movie. Appreciated the directors didn’t try to push the narrative in any way, which they easily could of given the material. 

• Like 1

The Stranger (1946) - Minor Orson Welles but definitely worth a look.  The callback to the Xanadu shots from the beginning of Citizen Kane Welles did with the church at the beginning was nice.  I never really felt any kind of suspense but Welles and Edward G. Robinson turned in good performances and it's a great looking film.  

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Been on a baseball movie kick this weekend with Major League, League of Their Own, Moneyball and stumbled across a new one on Amazon called Bottom of the 9th. Guy from The Bronx gets a MLB contract then kills a guy in a fight and goes to prison for 9 years. When he gets out his old Minor League coach gives him a shot at redemption. Not great, not bad. Joe Manganiello and Sofia Vergara.

You better not be trying any funny business out there, rum-pot!

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Very good movie. Appreciated the directors didn’t try to push the narrative in any way, which they easily could of given the material. 

Completely agree.  For much of the movie I was thinking, "Here comes the part where the union is made out to be the hero" or "Here's where the Chinese culture shows up the American/factory/union complex.  But it didn't.  It made both "sides" look both flawed AND sympathetic.

Watched Yesterday last night.  Simple premise that never developed into a reasonable conclusion*.  Pleasant enough acting - the female lead was really cute.  Singing was mostly slightly above average with a few stinkers (singing was way better in Across the Universe).

Spoiler

I kept waiting for the protagonist to wake up from a coma - it was all a dream!  But that didn't happen, so WTF on a few people remembering a reality that apparently didn't happen.  It made no damn sense.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Dark, and depressing. 

I mentioned this many pages back.  The attempt at humor is very dark, but the real realities of what men will do to each other to survive is on full display.  
I would watch it again. 

black and white with subtitles tends to keep me engaged. This movie, dealing with the chaos of the now losing Nazis and nature of the psychotic ‘Captain’ never let up. 
Still trying to understand the video when the credits are rolling at the end.  Where the characters (in uniform) are roaming around a town, in present day, seemingly harassing folks on the street.  The city folks look genuinely confused and frightened. I could see those guys getting an ass kicking by trying that in this country.