The movie you just watched

F250

Caught hustlers on Ppv the other night. Very underwhelming.  Felt like the same scene was repeated 10x. And what could have been interesting scenes or side stories were ignored.  

And I got little understanding why some argued that JLo should have received an Oscar nomination.  Didn’t  really see it especially since she walked the line between lead and supporting.

I  watched "The Kid" last night. I wasn't aware of the movie but was in the mood for a Western and found this one in a Netflix search. Vincent D'Onofrio directed it with Ethan Hawke playing Pat Garrett. Chris Pratt was also in it and played a pretty good villain. The main plot uses the capture of Billy The Kid as a backstory.

In my opinion, this was probably the best portrayal of Billy the Kid (Dane DeHaan) in any movie I have ever seen. The take on Pat Garrett was unique and something I don't think has ever been done before. Ethan Hawke seems to be getting better in Westerns and will hopefully make more.

Unfortunately there is no Bon Jovi in this movie.

• Like 1

My Neighbor Tortoro (1988)

Beautiful and simple and I'm not sure if Myazaki  has figured out how to make you feel deja vu (in animation) or if he's just tapped into how you imagined things when you were a child. 

Nothing much happened, but this is an awesome flick.  Much calmer than the frenetic spirited away, but still very cool in its own right.

giphy.gif

The Ice Harvest.  Did Cusack and Billy Bob have some kind of contract deal on making movies together?  Caught my eye because it "takes place" in Wichita.  They showed a 5 second scene at the beginning that was a shot down the river, then never saw another fucking thing that was Wichita.  Turns out it was filmed outside of Chicago.  

Good actors, just a turrble fucking movie.

The Turning (2020) starring We Can't Afford Jennifer Lawrence So Here's A Chick Who Looks Like Her If You Squint A Little, That Kid From Stranger Things, and Some Little Girl.  A very loose adaptation of Henry James' The Turn of the Screw.  Even when judged with the "The fact Dreamworks tossed this out there in the January release window without much promotion tells you everything you need to know" yardstick it still sucks.  

This could also go in the Surly Dad thread, but I've been keeping a list of movies to be sure to watch with my boys as they get bigger.  It's been a blast for me to revisit some great films I haven't seen in a while, and to watch their reactions.  Last night was Miller's Crossing with the 14yo.  Such a damn good movie, and it was fun to watch it twist his head into a pretzel.  It's awesome to watch someone's first reaction to the Danny Boy shootout scene.

Pain and Glory. Very well done and compelling. Banderas is outstanding. 

Little Women. I felt like I was watching a trailer for the movie through about 75% of it. Rising music, characters laughing at dialogue we can't hear, pretty women romping around. I never really felt like I was brought into that world despite the stellar cast and technical proficiency. I think some of the movie offers short hand that women may have easier access to than an old baby boomer male. Disappointing. I wanted to like it.

11 hours ago, Damor said:

This could also go in the Surly Dad thread, but I've been keeping a list of movies to be sure to watch with my boys as they get bigger.  It's been a blast for me to revisit some great films I haven't seen in a while, and to watch their reactions.  Last night was Miller's Crossing with the 14yo.  Such a damn good movie, and it was fun to watch it twist his head into a pretzel.  It's awesome to watch someone's first reaction to the Danny Boy shootout scene.

Millers Crossing is totally underestimated. Great story, one of the best Coen brothers efforts. 
Irish Al thinks he could have been Tom Reagan in a past life. 

Can’t sleep and Edward Scissorhands is on AMC. 

Dianne Weist and Kathy Baker can totally get it, as do most, not all, of the Moms in the movie. Winona Ryder (Closer to Al’s age) certainly has it going on as well. 

As strange of a story as it is, its held up well for being 30 years old.  

Finally got around to watching Shutter Island.  You know... I didn't really care for it.  I had heard about a big twist but...

Spoiler

It was pretty obvious that DiCapprio was the crazy one in the movie.  No, I didn't foresee a grand act of role playing that included almost everyone on the island; however, I thought that part was stupid as well.  

Ocean's 8.  It was actually better than I thought it would be.  When will hollywood realize though, even if I use the exact same actors as the original(remake), it's not going to be better than that.  It won't magically be better by using the same fucking storyline with women.  It's like owning a business where you are just breaking even, and you keep taking more business just to break even.

I looked it up though, it did make money surprisingly, so from a money standpoint, making a movie with female actors is obviously cheaper.

17 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)

Oh, I forgot to mention, about 3/4 of the way through I about shot out of my chair when two characters were talking about the old nursery rhyme they used to sing:  "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a [N-word] by his toe."  Yikes.

Kind Hearts and Coronets premiered in London on 13 June 1949.[25] When the film was released in the US the following year, it was edited ,to satisfy the Hays Office Production Code. A new ending was added, showing

was altered to play down their adultery; derogatory lines aimed at the Reverend Henry D'Ascoyne were deleted; and in the nursery rhyme "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe", "sailor" replaced the word "nigger". The American version is six minutes shorter than the British original.[26]

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Finally got around to watching Shutter Island.  You know... I didn't really care for it.  I had heard about a big twist but...

Hide contents

It was pretty obvious that DiCapprio was the crazy one in the movie.  No, I didn't foresee a grand act of role playing that included almost everyone on the island; however, I thought that part was stupid as well.  

Was reasonably entertaining, but real low on my list of Lehane books (and movies).  Maybe the bottom.

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hide contents

Yeah but still...you have to admit....that the one scene where it gets down (no spoiler) is haunting as shit.

• Like 1

I've been on a tear of movie watching lately.  Actually I can't believe that I've watched this many movies this year, but I guess I was kicking around the house for a few days at the beginning of the year (doing absolutely nothing as a matter of principle after a really tough final quarter 2019), there aren't any shows on that I'm really into at the moment, and the wife goes to bed really early.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-26-at-7-05-36-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-01-26-at-7-11-43-PM.png

Was definitely on a dumb comedy kick for a bit.  Some follow ons from out of genre movies that I found enjoyable that I wind up liking less (To All The Boys I've Loved Before ended the "teen girl movie" thing started by Book Smart, which was fucking great).  Homeless was stupid/not well made but I was putting together furniture and didn't change it.  Ah shit, Horrible Bosses was in there while I was assembling dining chairs too.  Widows was underwhelming.  Watched Midsommar and Brittany Runs a Marathon last night.  Midsommar was fucking wild.  Enjoyed the other one too.  Troop Zero was great.

Just started John Wick.  I need to watch Atomic Blonde.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

There were 600 channels of content on last night, and I chose to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for the 1000th time.

I can report that (1) I was highly entertained, (2) it remains the best Western, (3) it is a top 10 movie of all time, and (4) Eli Wallach not only deserved to be nominated, he should have won.

(I tried to find my original thread, alas, search has failed me.)

• Like 2

King of New York. I gave it a shot after Tarantino raved about Fishburne’s performance and Abel Ferrara’s direction on a podcast. 

I just didn’t get it. Maybe it’s better as a longer movie? Walken was good. David Caruos’s best film role and performance. Fishburne is just so over the top, you can’t take him seriously. Look before you miss it, Wesley Snipes is in this movie. 

Ferrara’s Bad Lieutenant is much, much better film.