The movie you just watched

F250

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

A. Hitchcock is my least favorite great director.  So I'm trying to continue my education with him.  This was pretty fun and enjoyable.  it started out a bit clunky, but then cranked into gear when everyone got on the train.  The actors are all perfect.

I'm normally not a fan of the genre (co-ed buddy movie to solve a mystery) but this had to be one of the originals.  I can see why it is generally rated as an all time great.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Hustlers. I almost immediately regretted pressing “rent”.

J Lo is smoke and playing a stripper, finally, and not a moment too soon. 

Very curious move casting Constance Wu in the lead. No bust at all, very little ass, and 37 years old. I know, exactly what you think of when you picture a stripper at the top club in New York. If the people behind the film wanted so badly to make it into a J Lo award season vehicle, cast J Lo in the lead. Constance Wu continuing to get work is Peak Woke Hollywood.

Lizzo is in it for some reason. 

Cardi B almost certainly goes undercover as a stripper on the weekends in Boogie Down Bronx. Gotta pay off all that plastic.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, tantric superman said:

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

A. Hitchcock is my least favorite great director.  So I'm trying to continue my education with him.  This was pretty fun and enjoyable.  it started out a bit clunky, but then cranked into gear when everyone got on the train.  The actors are all perfect.

I'm normally not a fan of the genre (co-ed buddy movie to solve a mystery) but this had to be one of the originals.  I can see why it is generally rated as an all time great.

If you're blowing through the early Hitchcock stuff on Criterion, go with 39 Steps next if you haven't seen it.

• Like 3

Peanut Butter Falcon (2019).
I haven't seen a lot of movies from 2019-- and I really wanted to like this one a bit more, though I thought Shia was great and I admit I am a Shia fan. Still think JoJo Rabbit was better.
Agreed that JoJo was better, but PBF was solid and enjoyable.

58 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:
Peanut Butter Falcon (2019).
I haven't seen a lot of movies from 2019-- and I really wanted to like this one a bit more, though I thought Shia was great and I admit I am a Shia fan. Still think JoJo Rabbit was better.

Agreed that JoJo was better, but PBF was solid and enjoyable.

It definitely was solid and enjoyable-- and I thought Shia was outstanding. But yea, JoJo was a pretty stellar movie, so I guess it's not really fair (and I feel like PBF was more Oscar bait than JoJo).

Edited by Rougarou

Honey Boy

Very good movie. It's on Amazon Prime. I'm a bit of a Shia fan, so I really thought it was nteresting. He did a good job on this one, portraying his own father. But the young co-star killed it. Not for everyone, probably, but I thought it was a good damn film (artsy, stylish, self-indulgent, sure)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

Please don't let your woman talk you into this one. It is fucking bad unless you are looking for a slow (boring) mathematical imagery puzzle fueled by longing glances and lacking lusty French lesbian make out scenes

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm really not sure why I didn't turn it off, but I watched American Assassin last night.  It (plot) was ridiculous.  I really couldn't get past the very start of the movie where Muslim terrorists storm a Mexican/Carribean tourist beach, because that makes sense.  Casting Dohnny Dangerously as a hard boiled ex-Navy Seal might be the most believable aspect to the movie.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. I don’t think I have seen it since it came out on dvd in 2006. I’m a sucker for Texas based movies, especially those that show the beauty of the Trans Pecos. I liked the movie then and still think it holds up as a good film.

Absolutely.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Johnny Guitar (1954)

giphy.gif

More insanity from Nicolas Ray, on the screen and off.  Sterling Hayden is in the two wackiest Westerns -- this one and Terror in a Texas Town.  The dialogue is insane, the costumes are silly and bright, and the the hideout (lair) is damn nice.   

BlaringFatJay-size_restricted.gif

Oh, and Ernest Borgnine as Bart.

PortlyBowedIberianlynx-size_restricted.g

Mercedes McCambridge was also in Johnny Guitar, probably best known for her voice as the Devil in The Exorcist. 

On 3/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Snatch

First time I’ve seen it.  It’s pretty damn good and Brad Pitt is pretty funny, even though you can’t understand him.

Saw it opening weekend. Took a date to see a different movie and it was sold out. She wasn't happy about seeing a movie named Snatch. Had sex, doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

Salinger on Amazon but here's the synapsis: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596753/

pretty solid biography.  Think he hung out at this bar in NYC with other writers and this is a good read:

https://www.newsweek.com/2017/02/10/new-chumleys-new-manhattan-538554.html

A brief excerpt from the article:

Saul, my colleague and dining companion, may not have been a regular of the old place, but he did leave the new place happy. "Chumley's has grown up," he wrote to me a couple days after our visit. "The first time I stepped through the red velvet curtain 11 years ago I was a broke college kid on a first date, happy to find a cheap shepherd's pie. The new Chumley's is shinier and more expensive, but just like its predecessor it transports you with its light and conversation, makes you feel like Dreiser and Steinbeck are just a table away. Chumley's grew up, lost some of its grit and put on a jacket. Just like a lot of New York. And, I guess, just like me."

That's probably for the best. A quick search of The New York Times quickly dispels any romantic illusions about the city of grit in which the old Chumley's thrived. In 1960, a writer was killed at Chumley's by a sailor wielding a beer bottle, angry over a chess match. Four years later, a sculptor leaving Chumley's was shot in an attempted mugging. In 1974, a heroin addict who'd killed a Macy's copywriter was found hiding in Chumley's boiler room. Even greater ills awaited. An article from 1986 on the "hidden charms of the West Village" notes that "the AIDS epidemic has closed a number of West Street clubs and recently led to the opening of a hospice at St. Veronica's Church"—and the worst of it hadn't even come yet.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

Yesterday. I'm a sucker for anything Beatles and this did not disappoint. Soundtrack is finominle.

And when the door to the house on the seashore opens, your brain inverts like the zoom in shot on Roy Scheider at the beach in Jaws.  Well done, beautiful film.  Viva Los Beatles!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RPM said:

Yesterday. I'm a sucker for anything Beatles and this did not disappoint. Soundtrack is finominle.

And when the door to the house on the seashore opens, your brain inverts like the zoom in shot on Roy Scheider at the beach in Jaws.  Well done, beautiful film.  Viva Los Beatles!

Navy Seals (1990).  Not a good movie.  Formulaic, cartoonish, and they left TWO of their dead brothers in Beirut.  And celebrated their "win" at the end.  This movie represents the inflection point of Charlie Sheen's career.  He started with serious movies like Platoon and Wall Street, expanded his range with Major League, then went off the rails.  Sad.

This movie does NOT get Parliament's endorsement.  Walk away, Guys.  Walk away.

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

And celebrated their "win" at the end.

You know that thing that happens in movies when a guy is chastised for celebrating a battle.  A senior ranking guy or some other protagonist comes up reminds the celebrator that good people died and that there is nothing to celebrate.   It only happens in movies.  Seals absolutely celebrate.  That particular scene is usually just inserted by hollywood's politics.  

Edited by PRONG HORN

The Way Back with Ben Affleck. More of a character study than a sports movie. Absolutely crushing performance by Ben (looks like he had a lot of personal experience). About addiction, grief, loss and redemption. Highly recommend.  

Edited by greenman