The movie you just watched

F250

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Spencer Confidential on Netflix. Entertaining Marky Mark flick. It's not going to win any awards, but I wouldn't mind if he made more of them. I liked the books and the TV series with Robert Urich. 

Wow...a positive review?  The preview just made it look like a travesty for this particular Parker fan. You just encouraged me to give it a shot. 

58 minutes ago, After irth said:

Wow...a positive review?  The preview just made it look like a travesty for this particular Parker fan. You just encouraged me to give it a shot. 

Tap the brakes. It's not a Parker book, it's based on Wonderland by Ace Atkins . They just use the character names. Again, this will win 0 awards, but it killed a couple hours on a slow day and I don't mind watching Wahlberg get his ass kicked. Iliza Shlesinger brought the lulz.

I thought this review was spot on:

The movie may be an easily forgettable action comedy, but as a Mark Wahlberg vehicle it is also easily watchable. - Elisabeth Vincentelli NYTimes

Tap the brakes. It's not a Parker book, it's based on Wonderland by Ace Atkins . They just use the character names. Again, this will win 0 awards, but it killed a couple hours on a slow day and I don't mind watching Wahlberg get his ass kicked. Iliza Shlesinger brought the lulz.
I thought this review was spot on:
The movie may be an easily forgettable action comedy, but as a Mark Wahlberg vehicle it is also easily watchable. - Elisabeth Vincentelli NYTimes

Pretty much this. Iliza plays a great Boston chick, surprised to find out she’s from Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bringing Up Baby with my college aged kid. His take on it was hilarious.  Hepburn tells Grant “that’s might wide of you”. Was that the original expression and did ‘white’ get substituted as the more common saying?  Whenever someone told me that expression. I always responded with wait I’m not trying to steal your land. 

A smile indeed.  Bravo, No Time for Sergeants.  

"Last name first, first name middle name last."  Thus, Stockdale Will Will Stockdale.  Don't know what happened to his middle name.

My snarky repartee conoisseur bride's favorite line:  Army Shrink to Stockdale: 

"Your father: LIVING?"

A true gem.

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Uncut Gems is pretty fucking good.

The sound mix was so bad you just wanted the movie to end and ignored the story. The ending was therapeutic not shocking. 

*seriously. Whoever’s brother they hired should be exiled from California. Ruined the movie. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The sound mix was so bad you just wanted the movie to end and ignored the story. The ending was therapeutic not shocking. 

*seriously. Whoever’s brother they hired should be exiled from California. Ruined the movie. 

yea the music was weird, but i thought sandler did a good job. anyone remember the BIL from talk radio?

41MN1FG8TWL._SY445_.jpg

Faces (1968)

Faces_(1968_poster_-_retouched).jpg

I've said before that it's really amazing how wonderful some of the prints that Criterion and others do.  But I don't think it helps Cassavetes.  I just don't get his movies.  This one was relentless and noisy and bothersome and boring and horrible.

But, it was awesome trying to place Seymour Cassel (RIP) and realizing he was Wes Anderson's guy....

1968+Seymour+Casel.jpg

1118full-rushmore-screenshot.jpg

I have two teens, watched Jackass the movie with them this afternoon.  When the kids saw the lower res opening studio shots before the film starts they were like " is this one of your old movies with horrible special effects?"    After the opening scene and the rental car crash up derby they were laughing and like "what the hell is this?"   Me: "just wait"

i watched their reactions more than the movie....  good times!

• Like 5

"There Will Be Blood".  Enjoyed the first time years ago.  REALLY enjoyed the second time.  Had been long enough, I felt like I was watching for the first time again.  The one thing that I realized I was wrong about the first time, was that I thought Eli and Paul were the same person, only that Eli/Paul was a schizo who was Paul upon first meeting and Eli after.  I think I like the story better like that since Eli was a bigger piece of shit than DP was, both deserving of the description.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:50 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Spoiler

Yeah, I had no reaction when Sandler got popped at the end.  His character was just so unlikable that I just didn't even care.  Degenerate gambling piece of shit had it coming.

Sandler played the role exceptionally well, but I just didn't connect with any characters.

Fight Club. 

Fucking great movie.  Acting, visuals, soundtrack, outstanding.  Didn't read the source material, but Fincher took what he got and put it on steroids.  I also thought the underlying theme of a generation pissed off was pretty clever:  

We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great war. No great depression. Our great war's a spiritual one...our great depression...is our lives.

So they fight. And blow shit up.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:42 AM, mulletpelini said:

I think I like the story better like that since Eli was a bigger piece of shit than DP was, both deserving of the description.

Probably my favorite film ever. To me, they are equally overzealous and shitty. Which I think is what the entire film basically balances on. It's like the horseshoe theory of politics - you go far enough to one "extreme" side and you aren't that much different than the person standing across from you. 

-

Rewatched Wolf of Wall Street for maybe the 4th time. It's fine. I laughed out loud a handful of times. Overall though it's just kind of douchey and irritating and overglorifies Belfort (even though I'm sure Scorsese would SWEAR that's not the point!). Certainly not DiCaprio's best work, there are a lot of scenes that I think Jonah Hill carries, ironically. His dad is great too (Rob Reiner).

I also love the actress that plays his first wife. Definitely wheelhouse for me https://www.google.com/search?q=cristin+milioti&rlz=1C1MSIM_enUS819US819&sxsrf=ALeKk03SCTsj9vfAFKugR1z0F3jg6hXv1Q:1584575090606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizZSbmqXoAhVSMawKHXexCP0Q_AUoAXoECBwQAw&biw=1920&bih=969

• Like 1

Probably my favorite film ever. To me, they are equally overzealous and shitty. Which I think is what the entire film basically balances on. It's like the horseshoe theory of politics - you go far enough to one "extreme" side and you aren't that much different than the person standing across from you. 
-
Rewatched Wolf of Wall Street for maybe the 4th time. It's fine. I laughed out loud a handful of times. Overall though it's just kind of douchey and irritating and overglorifies Belfort (even though I'm sure Scorsese would SWEAR that's not the point!). Certainly not DiCaprio's best work, there are a lot of scenes that I think Jonah Hill carries, ironically. His dad is great too (Rob Reiner).
I also love the actress that plays his first wife. Definitely wheelhouse for me https://www.google.com/search?q=cristin+milioti&rlz=1C1MSIM_enUS819US819&sxsrf=ALeKk03SCTsj9vfAFKugR1z0F3jg6hXv1Q:1584575090606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizZSbmqXoAhVSMawKHXexCP0Q_AUoAXoECBwQAw&biw=1920&bih=969

Margot Robbie buck naked is all you need to know about WoWS.
  • Like 1