The movie you just watched

F250

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Pope of Greenwich Village. It should be a great movie, but Eric Roberts drags it down to a B-.

I'm wondering if maybe you are younger, and you came to Eric Roberts backwards.

The first Eric Roberts flick I remember was Raggedy Man, and he was outstanding.  He was perfect, again, in Star 80, and perhaps because he played such a fucking loser in that flick, you had respect for him when you say Pope of Greenwich Village - he was a serious actor, and therefore you gave him some leeway when he was so fucking jarring.

I also don't think you can look at it without the context of Mickey Rourke playing off of him.  Rourke was coming off Diner and Rumble Fish.

So too serious actors who the viewer was going to give some leeway to.

I fucking loved this flick, and me and my wife even used "Summer Wind" as our wedding song (even with the lyrics being terrible for such a ceremony.

But yeah, it was Moonstrucky-stupid, and I can see someone not buying in to.

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The first Eric Roberts flick I remember was Raggedy Man, and he was outstanding.  He was perfect, again, in Star 80, and perhaps because he played such a fucking loser in that flick, you had respect for him when you say Pope of Greenwich Village - he was a serious actor, and therefore you gave him some leeway when he was so fucking jarring.

I also don't think you can look at it without the context of Mickey Rourke playing off of him.  Rourke was coming off Diner and Rumble Fish.

I fucking loved this flick, and me and my wife even used "Summer Wind" as our wedding song (even with the lyrics being terrible for such a ceremony.

1*Qa7su6VMnUUu_fCrKg4vtA.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I love Summer Wind. Great song that really puts you there in New York City. It reminds me a lot of going up there in August. 

I think Rourke was great. Plays a New Yorker well. Daryl Hannah is beautiful and does enough. I have no idea what Eric Roberts was going for? He’s herky jerky the entire movie and over acts in every scene. I can’t tell if he’s going for a born loser or someone with special needs. I lean towards the latter. 

On 3/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, Underdog said:

The Cooler - Another great movie, whatever became of Maria Bello? 

I have her locked in my basement.

I kid, the last big role I remember seeing her in was as Costner's wife in that movie where he's the cross country coach.

• Like 1

surly please pick what i should watch next.  only sen a few of these:

birdman

cb4

driven

el desierto/the desert

klovn forever

late night

little monsters

long shot

mulholland drive

nomis

ophelia

pride and prejudice and zombies

prospect

rust creek

snowpiercer

the aeronauts

the aftermath

the art of the steal

the farewell

the invitation

thoroughbreds

three identical strangers

17 hours ago, 52-80 said:

surly please pick what i should watch next.  only sen a few of these:

birdman

cb4

driven

el desierto/the desert

klovn forever

late night

little monsters

long shot

mulholland drive

nomis

ophelia

pride and prejudice and zombies

prospect

rust creek

snowpiercer

the aeronauts

the aftermath

the art of the steal

the farewell

the invitation

thoroughbreds

three identical strangers

CB4

Fear of a Black Planet

• Like 1

So last night wife and I started to watch Peanut Butter Falcon.  My 16yo son finished the dishes as the movie started and I asked him to watch it for a few minutes.  He ended up staying to watch the whole movie and enjoy it which is a rarity these days as he'd much rather be party chatting with friends than watching a movie with us.  The movie has some flaws, but damn if you don't really care about them because you are enjoying the ride.  The main character (has Down's Syndrome) is rally charming.  Don't let the fact that the protagonist has Down's Syndrome put you off - this is not a depressing story at all - quite the opposite.  How good is this movie?  So good you won't even bitch that Shia LaBeouf is in it.

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

So last night wife and I started to watch Peanut Butter Falcon.  My 16yo son finished the dishes as the movie started and I asked him to watch it for a few minutes.  He ended up staying to watch the whole movie and enjoy it which is a rarity these days as he'd much rather be party chatting with friends than watching a movie with us.  The movie has some flaws, but damn if you don't really care about them because you are enjoying the ride.  The main character (has Down's Syndrome) is rally charming.  Don't let the fact that the protagonist has Down's Syndrome put you off - this is not a depressing story at all - quite the opposite.  How good is this movie?  So good you won't even bitch that Shia LaBeouf is in it.

Watched that last week -- Dakota Johnson is a honey.  Very good movie.

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

Dude Shia LaBeouf is rad. He has gotten a bad rap, probably because he was a dorky child actor or something, but his movies are typically good and he's a good actor in my opinion.

Yes, this movie was good and I enjoyed it; I think I said somewhere on this thread it was my second favorite movie after JoJo Rabbit from 2019.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Y'all are going to hate on me for this but... fuck you, I thought Lady Bird was amazingly wonderful.

It does probably help if you've had a daughter go off to college.

Is that a controversial opinion? Lady Bird was very good.

We watched the 1994 Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson vehicle, Getting Even with Dad, and it was surprisingly okay! Tons of plot holes, but good, 1994-era fun complete with bumbling bad guys, over-the-top music, and a sentimental, feel good ending.

71ytW+t5gSL._SX342_.jpg 

Rewatched Dark City last night.

For a movie made in the 90s, it still looks and feels modern except for the dated 90s sound design. A few of the effects looked dated but nothing too bad. Still a great movie and peak Jennifer Connelly was pure smoke.

22 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Is that a controversial opinion? Lady Bird was very good.

We watched the 1994 Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson vehicle, Getting Even with Dad, and it was surprisingly okay! Tons of plot holes, but good, 1994-era fun complete with bumbling bad guys, over-the-top music, and a sentimental, feel good ending.

71ytW+t5gSL._SX342_.jpg 

I like to google and read about movies I've just watched and the lead female was a woman named Glenn Headley (who died at 62 a few years ago), who was once married to an unfaithful John Malkovich. Another big movie she was in from my youth was the Warren Beatty passion project, Dick Tracy. I remember the rogue gallery of outlandish comic book characters being fun but also remember the plot being a bit confusing for a 7 year old, so I rewatched it. 

Dick-Tracy-e1580067839410.jpg

The movie was cool with the colors and the set and the costumes and make up, thought it was really neat. Surprisingly Madonna was awesome-- she was cast perfectly as a moll. I do agree with the critics though that Beatty at 52 years old was a bit too old for the role, and while it was a bit distracting it wasn't a deal breaker. Anyways neat little movie.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I like to google and read about movies I've just watched and the lead female was a woman named Glenn Headley (who died at 62 a few years ago), who was once married to an unfaithful John Malkovich. Another big movie she was in from my youth was the Warren Beatty passion project, Dick Tracy.

I think most people around here know her from a slightly better film.

dirty-rotten-900_c1-0-899-524_s885x516.j

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 2:06 AM, Continental Op said:

Couldn't sleep, so I fire up Kubrick's The Killing.  Not discussed as much as his other stuff but it's still great.  Solid performances all around, especially Elisha Cook and Sterling Hayen.   

Timothy Carey going all forced racist is one of the best scenes in the flick.

tumblr_paj9uky3sP1qze0xvo2_500.gifv

Fucking Kubrick.  That creep can roll tape.

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 1