The movie you just watched

F250

Watched the beginning of Empire tonight. The Battle of Hoth is so full of plot holes and just illogical battle nonsense. But I don’t give a shit. 

The movie is great.
The entire Hoth sequence is almost pointless, certainly stupid, and doesn’t fit into the movie at all.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:31 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Watched the beginning of Empire tonight. The Battle of Hoth is so full of plot holes and just illogical battle nonsense. But I don’t give a shit. 

Empire is so fucking good from a drama perspective that I don't even notice legitimate plot holes. The writing, acting and pace is brilliant to a degree that even if I noticed something nonsensical it probably wouldn't bother me. I will debate with anyone that Han and Leia in Empire is one of the best on-screen romances ever. 

---

I watched Tropic Thunder for probably the 15th time a couple of nights ago. There's no way it isn't one of the best 5 comedies of the past 15 years. Unfortunately that's a pathetically low bar but I'm pretty confident in my assessment. There are 5 or 6 lines that every time without fail kill me and make me rewind. 

• Like 2

Fireworks (Hana-bi) (1997)

41X-u0kj18L._SY445_.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=14677019

Curious as to whether any of you have seen this beautiful flick.  I find it hard to recommend -- it has such a thoughtful pace for what is essentially a Chuck Bronson flick. The soundtrack is really interesting -- I am wondering if it influenced later anime music.

Just a really interesting take on the genre, and you could feel how it likely influenced lots that came later.  I'm just not precisely sure how.

David Stratton of The Movie Show called Hana-bi "an unclassifiable film" and "quite extraordinary," with co-host Margaret Pomeranz stating "I was ultimately so moved by it. It did what cinema is meant to do, for me anyway, and that's take me on a journey that is mine, that ultimately ends up inside me, in my heart." Stratton concluded that Hana-bi is "hard to describe to audiences, but all I can say is: Go and see it. It's great." The duo both awarded the film five stars out of five.[12]

The film is included in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.[13]

Edited by tantric superman

Onward. And as a dad with two boys was not prepared for that emotional ride. Wife and I were both holding back tears while the two boys thankfully didn’t pay attention and threw couch pillows at each other during the heartfelt scenes. 

Watched “Peanut Butter Falcon” with my wife last night. I’ve got some nostalgia for anything Shia Lebouf does, but this one really rang out to me. My nephew is non-verbal autistic, and my brother doesnt  quite know what to do with him. I’m hoping seeing this might encourage my bro with his son. Anyway, still a good flick. Mark Twain-sian 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Thanks for the rec.  Bar none, my favorite line:

What's the fastest way out of here?

Jet pack!

fat little punk ricky baker is a great character.  his haikus were great.  and the foster mom singing him happy birthday.  and “cauc-asian?  they got wrong because you’re obviously white.”

Have hit up Redbox several times recently because my wife and I rarely go to the theatre any more.

Watched 1917 and Jojo Rabbit on Sunday. Both were very good.

The way 1917 was shot was amazing. The whole movie looked like one continuous take. Watching the "extras" from the DVD was absolutely fascinating.

Jojo Rabbit looked great on screen. The kid was really good and I thought the ending was perfect. 

I will say may favorite movies of 2019 are: (I like the music movies)

Yesterday

Blinded By The LIght (I like Bruce)

and,

Dark Waters, Wtf this was the best movie of the year in my opinion. 

I haven't heard anyone talk about it?

(fuck, I just noticed I am neg from posting about politics.)

Like and Subscribe. :)

Edited by BNB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Started "What We Do in the Shadows" last night. About 40 mins left.  I liked Wilderpeople better.

Yeah, Wilder people is still my favorite movie of that director.  I have watched it a few times.  Great movie.

Unloading from the past few months from reviews I posted elsewhere. If it seems like my ratings are mostly high, it's because I try to watch movies I think I'll like, and avoid those I know I won't 

Killing of a Sacred Deer- 6/10

Starry Eyes- 8.5/10

You Were Never Really Here- 10/10

A Dark Song- 8/10

Kill List- 6.5/10

Red Riding Trilogy- 10/10

The Raid- 9/10

Cache- 10/10

Blue Ruin- 9/10

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil- 5/10

Under the Silver Lake- 9/10

Midsommar- 3/10

Us- 3.5/10

Burning- 9/10

Climax- 8/10

The Rover- 7/10

The Lighthouse- 6/10

The Joker- 7/10

Hard Eight- 6.5/10

Whiplash- 10/10

The Handmaiden- 10/10

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- 9/10

High Tension- 8/10

The King- 9/10

Prisoners- 6/10

It Chapter II- 3/10

Galveston- 4/10

Parasite- 9/10

Roger Rabbit- 7.5/10

Knives Out- 6/10

Atlantics- 6.5/10

Annihilation- 6/10

Contagion- 8/10

Booksmart- 7.5/10

Don't Breath- 4/10

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance- 7/10

Lady Vengeance- 8/10

JoJo Rabbit- 10/10

Tale of Two Sisters- 8/10

A Girl Walks Home at Night- 8.5/10

Nocturnal Animals- 8.5/10

Dogtooth- 6/10

Vertigo- 10/10

Blood Simple- 10/10

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 9:23 PM, RPM said:

Joker. I really dislike Joaquin Phoenix as a person, but gotdam that man can act. Heard it was good but had no spoilers. It was better than I expected. DC hit this one out of the park.

If you haven't yet, be sure to check out Her, Inherent Vice, and You Were Never Really Here. Preferably back to back to back. Best actor of the decade. 

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Rider - damn that was good. modern day western drama. young cowboy fighting back after a rodeo accident 

Double feature of this and Lean on Pete* will take you pretty far down into the darkness.  Both of these you see some light, but damn, those were some hard stories.

*more road movie than modern day western.  Not sure the rider is really a modern day western, although horses.