The movie you just watched

F250

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We watched McClintock Saturday nite, so as a compromise I had to watch Hampstead (a Diane Keaton chick flick filmed in London) Sunday nite. After 15 minutes of the latter my eyes were glazed over like a Krispy Kreme donut.

She is one fucking hot dame. 

doughnuts.gif

Edited by tantric superman

On 5/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, Parliament said:

Hotel Artemis.  Lotsa great performances from a diverse cast.  But oddly, it just didn't come together.  Mediocre movie.

David Bautista needs one good lead role and he'll be awesome.  He's very underrated.

Maybe you missed My Spy

MV5BMzJmM2FkMTUtNzIyYy00NDdlLWI1ZjctNmI4

On 5/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, mdmost said:

Call of the Wild with Harrison Ford. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would, even with the CGI dogs. 

I thought it was fucking terrible and hated the CGI dogs.  That was the last movie I saw in theaters, I think.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Maybe you missed My Spy

MV5BMzJmM2FkMTUtNzIyYy00NDdlLWI1ZjctNmI4

Yeah, let's get him into an actual action movie like a John Wick type role or something, and see what happens.  

I remember when Vin Diesel did something similar with the Pacifier I believe.  Not a good thing to do a strait comedy...better when it's serious and they can do a little comedy mixed in(like when he's Drax in GoTG) 

Ace in the Hole aka The Big Carnival (1951)

4Pwm.gif

Man I really wanted to like this.  Coming on the heals of Sunset Boulevard, with a great story.

There were just too many words.  Kirk Douglas got hamstrung with too many lines.  You never really bought that he could con anyone, so unlikable was he.

It's Billy Wilder and it's obviously a great movie, but I was disappointed.

18 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Ace in the Hole aka The Big Carnival (1951)

4Pwm.gif

Man I really wanted to like this.  Coming on the heals of Sunset Boulevard, with a great story.

There were just too many words.  Kirk Douglas got hamstrung with too many lines.  You never really bought that he could con anyone, so unlikable was he.

It's Billy Wilder and it's obviously a great movie, but I was disappointed.

WTeverlovinF man? That film is a classic and some of Douglas' best work. He was a greedy, selfabsorbed, egomaniacal glory hound and it took killing a man to bring him to his senses. It was all about him and not the man trapped in the hole. That film translates to today's media so much it hurts. It was fake news/tabloid/hype media on parade.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Just watched Yesterday again. Gotdayum this movie hits me in the feels. Lily James is delicious.

I concur with emphasis.  Saw it in a semi well attended public venue, with lots of laughs, singing along and appreciative claps and hoots, until the door to Lennon's beach house opened.  Boom! Audible intakes of breath and a second of absolute silence - no one knew it was coming.  One of the most potent moments in any film this old man has ever seen.  Bravo, Yesterday.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 11:07 PM, Continental Op said:

Doing a rewatch of the Aliens franchise along with my nephews.  Alien:Resurrection is a dogshit movie.  Never saw Prometheus or Covenant so hopefully those are better.

Original Alien was fucking riveting and Aliens was so entertaining even if it was directed by an asshole.  I liked Covenant.  Some of the others- meh.  I know this: to anyone exploring deep space who comes across a wrecked giant curved 3/4 circular spacecraft, man just stay the fuck away.  Go elsewhere.

23 hours ago, RPM said:

WTeverlovinF man? That film is a classic and some of Douglas' best work. He was a greedy, selfabsorbed, egomaniacal glory hound and it took killing a man to bring him to his senses. It was all about him and not the man trapped in the hole. That film translates to today's media so much it hurts. It was fake news/tabloid/hype media on parade.

My post says the movie is great but that the writing hurt the story.  I don't have any beef with what the movie is going for or that it was an important film. I think the movie overall would have worked even better if you could have seen how he might have charmed and cajoled, as opposed to simply bullied, everyone he met.* 

To me, there isn't much to a post regarding a well regarded, classic movie if I just say -- "Just saw the classic "Ace in the Hole" - it was great and classic!"

(*Made me think of "Face in the Crowd" -- I haven't seen that in a while but as bullying and loud as that character was, I think he did have charm and humor that made people surrendering to him a bit more believable.)

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

My post says the movie is great but that the writing hurt the story.  I don't have any beef with what the movie is going for or that it was an important film. I think the movie overall would have worked even better if you could have seen how he might have charmed and cajoled, as opposed to simply bullied, everyone he met.* 

I think the acting was a sign of the times, i.e. Strasberg. This film is a hidden gem and the bullying is the whole point of the film, imho. You feed a dynamo and then you can't control it.