The movie you just watched

F250

5 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Florida Project.

Liked it and Dafoe does a great job. The ending misses the mark though.

One of the best movies of the decade, imo.  Baker does an excellent job of depicting poverty by emphasizing the structural over the personal. The protagonist is neither a hero nor a villain, just someone trying to negotiate the circumstances of her life. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Master And Commander:  Far Side of The World.

For the dozenth time or so.  I really like it and wish they had made more.  In my opinion, one of Crowe's best roles.

That film has about 10 layers of greatness. A trilogy would have been nice.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:54 AM, washparkhorn said:

Ad Astra -

I think it's better on the small screen. There is a lot packed into the monologues. Taking in all the visuals on the big screen was more difficult - as I recall now. It's a solid film by a good director. His first film was Little Odessa with Tim Roth. He has been blessed with skilled actors. 

Saw it this week and thought it was very meh. Not horrible, but was ready for it to be over long before it was. Also watched Joker - really liked it; Yesterday - fun; and Bad Education - very good.

Da 5 Bloods, new Spike Lee movie on Netflix. I enjoyed it. 

Shot entirely in Vietnam. Good job capturing the beauty of the country as well as hitting HCMC landmarks like The Apocalypse Now Club (good times in there), Nguyen Hue Blvd, and the American War Crimes Museum. 

Solid acting. The third act got a bit ridiculous but I enjoyed the trip. 

This weekend, the wife chose the movies and I signed off on them

Love Story - I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and I'm really not sure I saw it then.  The story is fine.  We all know it.   Technically, this movie is a mess.   The sound was fucking horribad.  Either people speaking in hushed tones or it was loud as shit and annoying.  The editing, especially the first 5 minutes, was atrocious.  My wife thought we missed the first 10 minutes it was so bad.  They went from a hostile first meeting to being in a relationship in about 2 minutes.  Just felt like they left something out.  The acting of the two main characters was not great either.  And why the hell did he hate his dad so much?  Grow up you Ivy League snowflake.  

Message in a Bottle - better than I thought it would be.  I guess I'd never seen it before and I don't plan on ever seeing it again.  The best part was not knowing Paul Newman was in it and having him suddenly pop up.  Paul Fucking Newman.  Is there anybody more kick ass than him? 

I'm making her watch something better next weekend.  Her input will not be welcomed.   

On 6/21/2020 at 4:01 AM, Halohal said:

MV5BNjcwMGNjYzYtYmU5OC00ZGU4LTgyNzUtMWEy

Wow, the cat and mouse car chases were amusing. Really didn't see the ending coming, awesome. Really enjoyed watching the 69 charger driving full speed.

Saw that at the drive in off Ben White near I-35 back when it came out. I think it might have been a double feature with White Lightning.

• Like 1

An Autumn Afternoon (1962)

Ozu's films are just too beautiful to put into words.  A favorite director, especially as I get older.

14e2a42e08b767d7258f098adb36542f.gif

tumblr_pjtsx7bJ2z1wpdmero8_400.gifv

Trying to just jot down notes on some of the movies I see on this blog.  Criminally inconsistent.

http://whiterockjournal.com/an-august-afternoon-1962-aka-sanma-no-aji-a-taste-of-sanma/

The Last Movie Star -  Burt Reynolds final film about an octogenarian movie star taking a trip to be honored at a film festival that turns out to be less than advertised. Worth watching to see his final performance. Pudgy chick from Modern Family runs around in Daisy Dukes. Would.

Edited by RPM

4 hours ago, RPM said:

The Last Movie Star -  Burt Reynolds final film about an octogenarian movie star taking a trip to be honored at a film festival that turns out to be less than advertised. Worth watching to see his final performance. Pudgy chick from Modern Family runs around in Daisy Dukes. Would.

Don't know how this one got by me.

Looks terrific and I have always loved Burt Reynolds. Some of his appearances on The Tonight Show with Carson were epic.

Just saw Uncut Gems. Hell of a movie, it's legitimately stressful to watch lol. Sandler knocked it out of the park, and Kevin Garnett gave a much better acting performance than I would have expected from an NBA player.

Also, and this bears repeating, Julia Fox is an absolute smokeshow.

Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

Charlie Chaplin talkie.  Takes a while to get used to, but packs a punch, and the very dark comedy is perfect for our times.

source.gif

This was the first feature film in which Chaplin's character bore no resemblance to his famous "Tramp" character (The Great Dictator did not feature the Tramp, but his "Jewish barber" bore some similarity). While immediately after the end of World War II on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean appeared a spate of films, including in 1946 It's a Wonderful Life and A Matter of Life and Death, which drew on so many people's experience of loss of loved ones and offered a kind of consolation,[6] on the contrary Monsieur Verdoux reproposed the dark themes emerged from the war conflict. Consequently, it was poorly received in America when it first premiered.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Wow I get negged by Chewbacca for not liking EuroVision. What a tool.

Damn, surly is going soft.  I'm sure I didn't do too much damage to your precious rep.

Eurovision was great.  And it was exactly what I expected.  Have you never seen a Will Ferrell movie before?