The movie you just watched

F250

Harriet

I think Cynthia Erivo is terrific. I liked her in The Outsider as well. I was glad to learn a little about Harriet Tubman. I'll likely look for a well-regarded biography.

The move was a drag. It was episodic and there were no well established relationships between any of the characters. It posited that she cares about her husband and family, but not dramatized so that I feel much beyond the generic. They tried to set up an antipathetic relationship with her former owner and childhood companion, but that was pretty two dimensional despite the best efforts of the actors.

There are so many opportunities with this story to make something brilliant and classic. The filmmakers fail to do that.  Waste of a great cast and film crew.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, Bama Llama said:

Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation openingvcredits rolling now.  NatLamp's Vacation without the sizzling humor but still a good watch.  Jummy Schtewart at his best.

I love that movie. I'm still happy to revisit every five or so years and still laugh. Spatterbox.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Gun to my head, this is my favorite Western. John Wayne’s best performance, and Kim Darby is perfect as Mattie. 

Glen Campbell is also great. And it kicked off Robert Duvall’s career as a cowboy/consigliere. 

I sometime forget to put it on my top lists.  I think it's because Wayne was doing some actual acting. 

Shout out to Olivia de Havilland. I just can't imagine having one epic role, and all your cast mates died 40 years ago.   Really liked her with Errol Flynn.

36 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just watched Extraction with Bruce Willis.  Who the fuck did he owe money to in order to be coerced into making that steaming pile of shit.

You might want to looks at his IMDB for the last 7 years, Extraction was probably a high point.

36 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just watched Extraction with Bruce Willis.  Who the fuck did he owe money to in order to be coerced into making that steaming pile of shit.

saw that as well, what a pile of shit.   Fortunately "The End of the Tour" was the next show I picked.

23 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Harriet

I think Cynthia Erivo is terrific. I liked her in The Outsider as well. I was glad to learn a little about Harriet Tubman. I'll likely look for a well-regarded biography.

The move was a drag. It was episodic and there were no well established relationships between any of the characters. It posited that she cares about her husband and family, but not dramatized so that I feel much beyond the generic. They tried to set up an antipathetic relationship with her former owner and childhood companion, but that was pretty two dimensional despite the best efforts of the actors.

There are so many opportunities with this story to make something brilliant and classic. The filmmakers fail to do that.  Waste of a great cast and film crew.

Watched Harriet based of your rec.  Great watch.  2 hours probably doesn't do it justice.  A limited series would have been great.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched The Usual Suspects with my 15 year old. Had to make sure she was paying attention a few times during the movie but she was blown away at the end. I knew she liked it because it was obvious she was thinking about it overnight and when I saw her the next morning she said: “the only thing I don’t get is why Keyser Soze wasted so much time and energy to kill the witness when now the feds know what he looks like”.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 6:49 PM, rage-a-holic said:

You might want to looks at his IMDB for the last 7 years, Extraction was probably a high point.

The last time I looked at the DVD discount bin at Walmart he was in a dead heat with Nicholas Cage. Also there was a creepy guy nearby who couldn’t quit repeating something about Thandie Newton. We all had face masks on but it sounded like he said something about smoke

• Hook 'Em 1

A Bridge Too Far should have been better with that cast. It’s available on Hulu. Amazing list of stars: 
Robert Redford 
Michael Caine
Anthony Hopkins 
Sean Connery 
Gene Hackman 
James Caan
Laurence Olivier

Caine and hackman in the same movie! This is my thesis man! This is my closing argument! I can stop watching tv!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Saw The Hot Rock yesterday - nice way to spend a couple of hours laying low on a Saturday.

1972 "heist a big African diamond from a museum" film, Redford-Segal-Mostel and fine supporting cast, well-paced.  Manhattan is a major costar, including a fly-by of the Twin Towers, one of which was still under construction. Long- legged. long-haired, tight ribbed sweater wearing, nicely nubile young hippie dish Topo Swope played Segal's wife.

(Can't make url get real - here 'tis - worth looking)

https://www.imdb.com/media/rm999280128/nm0842883

Edited by Bama Llama

The Wrong Missy. I haven't laughed as hard and as much in the first 5-6 minutes of a movie since I was a teenager. It's non-stop HappyMadison formulaic B-level stuff, but the lead Lauren Lapkus is hilarious and David Spade did his professional straight man to perfection. I am looking forward to more comedy of hers in the future, she killed it.

Edited by Rougarou

48 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

The Wrong Missy. I haven't laughed as hard and as much in the first 5-6 minutes of a movie since I was a teenager. It's non-stop HappyMadison formulaic B-level stuff, but the lead Lauren Lapkus is hilarious and David Spade did his professional straight man to perfection. I am looking forward to more comedy of hers in the future, she killed it.

Can't tell if trolling

• Hook 'Em 1

Just watched a couple of oldies.

"Kung Fu Panda" is fucking terrific.   It's a really great movie, cartoon or not.

Switched over to "Dunkirk".    Still a steaming pile of shit.   Horrible in every single way. 
Dunkirk was the anti- epic epic. That movie sucked ass.

Brawl in Cell Block 99.  Once again, it was so long ago since I put on my Netflix queue, that I forgot details about why and what.  First half of the movie fleshes out the protagonist's character and backstory.  Second half goes ludicrous speed on violent head smashing.  The movie had good pacing and mostly believable characters (many were one dimensional stereotypes more or less, but it didn't matter or detract from enjoyment).

It stars Vince Vaughn and this might be the finest acting job I've seen from him.  He didn't play his normal schtick in this movie.  He actually did some acting. 

I'd recommend it if you enjoy action movies where lots of people get their heads crushed.

• Like 1